After all the talk the last few years

D

Deleted member 6794

Sheilds, randall, rollins are all hurt arent they? Kind of hard for the cbs to look good with the top 3 out...

I agree that it's tough for the CBs to perform on a high level with the top three players on the depth chart injured but entering this season it was thought the Packers had a lot of quality depth at the position. Unfortunately this hasn't proven to be true.

It doesnt help that the refs are stopping the continuation of Arod hard count plays and 12 men on the field. It was a couple offsides and too many men on the field plays that the refs should have let play on but they stop them.

On the other side once the refs missed an offside call on the Cowboys Rodgers badly overthrew a wide open Cobb in the endzone.

Dirty Sanchez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It was painful to watch the game this past Sunday and there is plenty of blame to go around, but Gunter has to to be one of the most inept players in the NFL. The guy was on on his back twisting and sprawling around on the ground every play! If he wasn't giving up TD's he was giving up huge gains. He's just awful.

DS

D

Deleted member 6794

It was painful to watch the game this past Sunday and there is plenty of blame to go around, but Gunter has to to be one of the most inept players in the NFL. The guy was on on his back twisting and sprawling around on the ground every play! If he wasn't giving up TD's he was giving up huge gains. He's just awful.

Gunter has performed on a decent level lining up on the right side of the defense. Once he had to move to the left side he had huge troubles with his footwork resulting in him struggling mightily.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
What about Randle? He's a "starter" and he hasn't looked great either. I'll add Morgan Burnett losing his matchup against a 35-36 yr old tightens one on one in crucial moments as well...he's also a starter. The packers don't have a single corner other than Sam Shields who can play man to man.
5th string playing . . . I dont care what team or who the gm is, thats just asking for disaster. But some people will automatically blame ted and coaches for not having starters at 5th string

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
longtimefan this is no excuse. In 2010 when we the Superbowl we were what 7 deep at one OLB spot, and we'd only had ONE starter who didn't miss time (Including the superbowl) due to injury?

I'm not saying we need starters at 5th string, I WILL say Ted and Mike screwed the pooch with the way they set up the roster. 3 Running backs would've helped. Keeping Callahan until Hundley was completely healthy would've helped. Getting a GOOD TE in the draft at any point over the last 3 years would've helped.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
longtimefan this is no excuse. In 2010 when we the Superbowl we were what 7 deep at one OLB spot, and we'd only had ONE starter who didn't miss time (Including the superbowl) due to injury?

I'm not saying we need starters at 5th string, I WILL say Ted and Mike screwed the pooch with the way they set up the roster. 3 Running backs would've helped. Keeping Callahan until Hundley was completely healthy would've helped. Getting a GOOD TE in the draft at any point over the last 3 years would've helped.
Packers are a more talented team now, than in 2010.

PackerFanLV

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the packers should sign Antonio Cromartie. Hes a legit physical experienced DB, plays good man to man and I think the pack can get him for the low.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Thanks to whoever posted the "funny" evaluation. May have saved me some effort. First need to know if this was an attempt at humor/sarcasm or was intended to be a real opinion. Please advise.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
hmm....QB ... same guy.... although not playing as well right now..
RB... umm Lacy on IR... 2010 wins.... I'm not going to break down the offensive line.... but I'd give the Nod to 2016 since they are all currently fairly healthy and playing well... (not sure about Lang's health)... WR... not even a question... 2010 was vastly superior. TE... same... Defensive Backfield..... 2010 wins in a landslide ... our top 3 corners are out.... Charles Woodson even in 2010 trumps almost any safety.... defensive line.... I'd give the Nod to 2016... Daniels is a beast. LBs... I'd say overall better in 2016....

My conclusion.... Our offense is currently lacking because of weaker WRs and no strong TE which also weakens Our QB since his weapons are not as potent... Having No real tailbacks is a very big deficit.... Playing our 4th and 5th string corners is also a huge liability.... 2010 was a more talented team.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

I think the packers should sign Antonio Cromartie. Hes a legit physical experienced DB, plays good man to man and I think the pack can get him for the low.

Just because you recognize a free agent's name doesn't mean it would be smart to sign him. Cromartie has been terrible over the last two years and was released by the Colts, a team in desperate need of help in the secondary. No, thanks.

PackerFanLV

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just because you recognize a free agent's name doesn't mean it would be smart to sign him. Cromartie has been terrible over the last two years and was released by the Colts, a team in desperate need of help in the secondary. No, thanks.
I agree on a lot you say but this I dis agree. If in shape his experience alone can do better then the corners the packer have starting now. But I guess it would take away from the development of the young corners if we all thought like TT.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thanks to whoever posted the "funny" evaluation. May have saved me some effort. First need to know if this was an attempt at humor/sarcasm or was intended to be a real opinion. Please advise.
Seriously. OL, S, CBs, DL, ILBs, Olbs are more talented. Qb, WRs, RBs, TEs are less talented. 2010 team barely got into playoffs. Needed help on week 17 to even get in.

What do you see that leads you to think the 2010 was so much more talented that an opinion to the contrary is seen as a joke?

D

Deleted member 6794

Seriously. OL, S, CBs, DL, ILBs, Olbs are more talented. Qb, WRs, RBs, TEs are less talented. 2010 team barely got into playoffs. Needed help on week 17 to even get in.

Do you truly believe that the Packers current cornerbacks are more talented than the ones on the 2010 team??? It seems you haven't watched any games this season.

In addition I'm not convinced you're right about the offensive and defensive line and inside linebackers either.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Do you truly believe that the Packers current cornerbacks are more talented than the ones on the 2010 team??? It seems you haven't watched any games this season.

In addition I'm not convinced you're right about the offensive and defensive line and inside linebackers either.
And Frankly the difference in wide receiver talent is enough buy itself. The Packers live and die by the Pass. I truly believe the reduction in wide receiver talent is what has been the biggest problem with this team.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Knock it the **** off already. I watch all the games.

Yes. Our secondary was last this good during the Lombardi years. This is the best OL play I have seen by a Packer team. Although run blocking is only good, the pass blocking is unbelievable.

Quote me on this, NT Clark is going to be something special. He is still very young and looks impressive.

You are rewritting history. Packers barely made the playoffs and many were demanding MM and TT be fired during the season. They turned it around and got hot at the end of the season and rode it to the Superbowl.

H

HardRightEdge

I think the bottom of the roster is stronger now were we to include all the guys on IR and injured, then and now.

For overall talent I'd have to go with 2010, in particular the defense and receiving crew.

I agree this is a better roster than any season since 2010, including the 15-1 team.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd have to have a list of the 2010 team in front of me, at this point i'd probably confuse some of them with the 96 team or anything in between :)

I think our secondary could be better now, if they could could be on the field at the same time for any length of time. hard to replace Collins and Woodson, but overall, I think our talent level is stronger from front to back in the secondary, but most of it is in the training room. Wr's I'd give to 2010 easily. TE? Finley was out, it's not like we had much of anything at the position, i'd say it's a push if anything.

I think we're stronger at all our LB'ing positions and deeper, I think our Dline and Oline are better than we had then. RB's are probably a push, we didn't have any then, and we don't have any now. Yeah, I know starks came in and provided a push at a very crucial time, but it's not as if we had an in shape and dedicated Lacy on the team. a guy like that is clearly a weapon, but we had none like that, and we still have nothing like that. RB is a push. QB, well, he's the same guy.

They haven't been playing great football this year, but they could. They have talent, I don't think it's a stretch to say it is at least as talented as 2010

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd have to have a list of the 2010 team in front of me, at this point i'd probably confuse some of them with the 96 team or anything in between :)

I think our secondary could be better now, if they could could be on the field at the same time for any length of time. hard to replace Collins and Woodson, but overall, I think our talent level is stronger from front to back in the secondary, but most of it is in the training room. Wr's I'd give to 2010 easily. TE? Finley was out, it's not like we had much of anything at the position, i'd say it's a push if anything.

I think we're stronger at all our LB'ing positions and deeper, I think our Dline and Oline are better than we had then. RB's are probably a push, we didn't have any then, and we don't have any now. Yeah, I know starks came in and provided a push at a very crucial time, but it's not as if we had an in shape and dedicated Lacy on the team. a guy like that is clearly a weapon, but we had none like that, and we still have nothing like that. RB is a push. QB, well, he's the same guy.

They haven't been playing great football this year, but they could. They have talent, I don't think it's a stretch to say it is at least as talented as 2010
If you want to count all the guys that aren't actually playing... ok.... but right now...we are playing 4th and 5th string corners.... and the WRs are nowhere near as good as 2010...WR's are difference makers .. I give a lot of weight to them when it comes to relative team strength... especially for the Packers.

D

Deleted member 6794

Yes. Our secondary was last this good during the Lombardi years.

There's no doubt the secondary on the 2010 team was way better than the current one, leading the league in passer rating allowed, ranking second in interceptions and fifth in passing yards allowed. This year's unit has already allowed two mediocre receivers to have more than 180 yards in a single game. If the Packers allow another WR to accomplish that feed it would be the first time in team history that has happened three times.

You are rewritting history. Packers barely made the playoffs and many were demanding MM and TT be fired during the season. They turned it around and got hot at the end of the season and rode it to the Superbowl.

A lot of people seem to forget that the 2010 Packers lost every single one of their six losses by a maximum of only four points and never trailed by more than seven points at any time during that season. It took them until after the Patriots game to get hot but it was pretty obvious all year they could compete against elite opponents.

Last edited by a moderator:
H

HardRightEdge

A lot of people seem to forget that the 2010 Packers lost every single one of their six losses by a maximum of only four points and never trailed by more than seven points at any time during that season. It took them until after the Patriots game to get hot but it was pretty obvious all year they could compete against elite opponents.
Though I don't recall the circumstances of each loss in 2010, I do recall that lineman running back a pooch kickoff some 70 yards as the key margin of difference. It was all the more frustrating given that loss in week 15 put a severe dent in their playoff chances. Had Tampa not lost to a weak Detroit team in OT that same day, it would have been all but lights out.

The missing piece on that team was a decent RB. Once Starks emerged all the necessary pieces were in place.

Members online

Latest posts