after a night of restless sleep this is what i've come up with

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers reached an injury settlement with Lyerla after training camp. He was arrested two weeks later for DUI, he will for sure not be back for next season.
OMG I obviously missed that. It was my understanding he was going to rehab and come back next year to give it another go. At this point the guy has had his fare share of chances and just can't seem to stay on the path. Sad deal and thanks for filling me in. On the bright side I am optimistic nonetheless...G P G!

Reaction score
I think we can all say that the end was disappointing as we clearly didn't capitalize on opportunities when they presented themselves. I just want to remind you guys how lucky we have been as Packer fans and what this our MVP QB has brought to the table so far...
2009 : 1 TD from winning the Wild Card Round to Arizona who were the previous year NFC Superbowl contender
2010: Well.. I'll let you finish the song here..
2011: We went 15-1 and were defeated by the Giants who, in turn, were holding the Lombardi a short while later
2012: Lost to the 49rs in a hard fought battle of hearts.. who, in turn, were beat by 3 points for the Lombardi
2013: Lost in NFC Championship in hard fought battle with a QB who, to begin with, arguably shouldn't have been playing at risk of further personal injury to himself. Our MVP literally limps into the most difficult venue in the NFL against the best Defense in a decade+ and very well showed them he was fully capable at 85% to beat them.

I am NOT confused at what I have just witnessed and I need not "sell" my team to anyone. Actually, to the contrary, I want the Green Bay Packers all to myself so I can get a front row seat and lower the 955 year waiting list for season tickets.. I wonder if I still have a chance?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NFL_season_ticket_waiting_lists

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think we can all say that the end was disappointing as we clearly didn't capitalize on opportunities when they presented themselves. I just want to remind you guys how lucky we have been as Packer fans and what this our MVP QB has brought to the table so far...
2009 : 1 TD from winning the Wild Card Round to Arizona who were the previous year NFC Superbowl contender
2010: Well.. I'll let you finish the song here..
2011: We went 15-1 and were defeated by the Giants who, in turn, were holding the Lombardi a short while later
2012: Lost to the 49rs in a hard fought battle of hearts.. who, in turn, were beat by 3 points for the Lombardi
2013: Lost in NFC Championship in hard fought battle with a QB who, to begin with, arguably shouldn't have been playing at risk of further personal injury to himself. Our MVP literally limps into the most difficult venue in the NFL against the best Defense in a decade+ and very well showed them he was fully capable at 85% to beat them.

I am NOT confused at what I have just witnessed and I need not "sell" my team to anyone. Actually, to the contrary, I want the Green Bay Packers all to myself so I can get a front row seat and lower the 955 year waiting list for season tickets.. I wonder if I still have a chance?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NFL_season_ticket_waiting_lists
I am embracing every positive post I see as they seem to be in short supply right about now. We have a ton of things to look forward to and I for one will not be partaking in the Packer bashing nor writing the obituary on a team that is clearly on the rise. We have no gaping holes to fill and all of our young guys have a great chance to improve this off-season and take things to the next level. Think of this years team with Raji on it. Think of the backend of the D with Morgan coming off his best campaign and HaHa continuing to blossom into the Pro Bowl player I think he will be (that one handed pick was a thing of beauty and he made it look pretty easy.) Sam Barrington will be even better next year and I think he can be an impact guy for years to come...etc. etc. Do I hope some changes are made? Sure do. Do I think we will be one of the favorites to win it all and barring major injuries be right there when the dust settles? 100%! I can understand frustration but this purveying notion that we are done for and pretty much need to scrap everything and start from scratch just has my blood boiling. To each their own I suppose but I just hope people don't lose site of the fact that we have a great young team that is going to be one tough out next season. G P G!!

Mklangelo

Feng Shui Debunker
Reaction score

I admire your steadfastness in all this. But a long, heartbreaking string of playoff losses (apart from Rodger's SB win) does not really make your case very well.
MM is a poor game manager and really is not flexable at all during a game.

If he wants to hammer off tackle that's just what he will do. Time after time after time. Even if it is not working. He did it against Dallas in the red zone and he did it against Seattle. He thinks he's Ground Chuck for christ's sake.

If it don't work, fix it for god's sake. He does NOT adjust on the fly. He's hard headed. And, yes, someone please take the red flag from this guy's hands.

Last edited:

TheDarkKnight68

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wow guys. Second post here. Full disclosure, I am first and foremost a Seahawks fan. Lifelong since '76. So while this "boisterous" group has been successful, there have been some leeeeean years and decades. Im no fairweather or bandwagon fan. I started liking the Pack too after we got Holmgren and Hasselbeck from you guys. Well, not due to that, but my like of those guys got me to paying attention and I like the organization, the fans, the players... They are my backup team- you know, the one you root for EXCEPT when playing your number one. I also DO NOT like the smack talking by my team- I really wish they would stop being difficult and obnoxious and ranty. Makes us look really petty and comes off thuggish and cocky. Not a ton different from Rodgers comments (cmon, you know he shouldnt have said that even if he felt that as it is not professional and he is a consummate pro, but much like MY boys, I give him a break as it is very emotional) On one hand- they are young men who definitely have used the tabloids for motivation. For example, there HAS been plenty of press on the receivers being mediocre, so when they rant and holler immaturely after a big, unlikely win I tend to give them a break. Its high emotions getting the better of them. To them it is vindication- not saying they are right in the manner of their approach, but I CAN understand the emotions. Its gotten kinda out of hand and embarrassing though- the press sh-ts on everybody after a bad game, not just the Seahawks. Patriots and Brady were done after being blown out this year. Same with the Pack. So yeah, I get it, albeit immature and dramatic. Plus, not sure any defending SB team has ever been "underestimated" or "no one thought we could do it". World Champs cant really pull off the "no respect" or "under the radar" stuff. And yes, I love Marshawn and Richard, but am FULLY aware it's only because they are on MY team. I tell my friends all the time, "I'd be scared shitless and worried if Lynch was sitting in my living room and he is on MY team ." But, as Pack fans can probably attest, I almost always can find a way to get behind someone if they are on our roster. I can hate them when they leave.
On to the game. I agree completely on most views of our offensive performance. We played terribly until we caught a couple breaks, and finally Russell hit on a few throws. I, along with every other Seahawk fan, wrote this game off in the 3rd quarter, if not earlier. I did not believe for one small millisecond that we would come back. It wasn't our day, and we were severely outplayed. Not sure why- I don't buy we weren't prepared or didn't take it seriously. Don't think it happens at this point in the season. I DO know that whether it was GB's game plan (they had a nice one) or whatever, I was especially upset by HOW we were losing. Trust me, Im a Seahawks fan, losing is no stranger- I can handle it. But OUR keys to success.... Not making stupid plays- Baldwin bringing it out off balance and not ready 7 yards deep. Turbin bobbling a simple handoff in 2nd drive (geezus, know the play and BE READY). Wilson forcing the ball and making poor decisions... THOSE were especially disturbing because that's our MO- we don't do that stuff. But GB had us reeling and we did. That's why this Hawks fan was so upset; if we lost, fine, Im happy as long as we lose playing our game. Im not here to bash the Pack or the fanbase- I like these guys a lot. But if I have to pick a reason, I'd have to put it on the offense, and specifically the coaching. Not gonna go into great detail, you guys know what I mean. The field goals vs tds. The less than 200 yds passing. the one "bad" pick that Aaron shouldn't have thrown. Lacy at 3.5 yds a carry. If you didn't know how the game unfolded, the Hawks D did a pretty good job on paper vs the #1 offense. They were definitely vanilla and conservative when we were ripe for the death blow. Even the onsides. Im pretty sure a lot of coaches would've covered assignments with each individual with that much on the line. Youd think they would anticipate the potential "excited panic" type mistake. Maybe they did, I dunno. Anyway, just wanted to share my perspective. Glad to be here, guys and gals, and go Packers (except vs Sea)!!!

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There are no words to describe yesterday's debacle and it is worrisome that the window of opportunity is getting smaller each year. But the bottom line is that we have (and are very fortunate to have) a team of great guys, Bostick included. They are stand-up and classy guys, they play hard, they stay out of trouble, they are well spoken and are not a bunch of low class mouthy jerks. And best of all, they are loaded with talent and led by the greatest quarterback in the game. Therein lies the hope.

All of that applied a couple of days ago, too. Therein lies my lack of hope.

D

Deleted member 6794

We have no gaping holes to fill and all of our young guys have a great chance to improve this off-season and take things to the next level.

I agree this team has a bright future in front of it but some improvements have to be made. First and foremost the ILB position needs a huge upgrade and I would be fine with adding a receiving threat at TE as well. McCarthy should think about letting Slocum go.

I admire your steadfastness in all this. But a long, heartbreaking string of playoff losses (apart from Rodger's SB win) does not really make your case very well.
MM is a poor game manager and really is not flexable at all during a game.

If he wants to hammer off tackle that's just what he will do. Time after time after time. Even if it is not working. He did it against Dallas in the red zone and he did it against Seattle. He thinks he's Ground Chuck for christ's sake.

If it don't work, fix it for god's sake. He does NOT adjust on the fly. He's hard headed. And, yes, someone please take the red flag from this guy's hands.

McCarthy is a great game planner but he has troubles making in-game adjustments. I wonder if it would be better to have an OC actually calling the plays.

DaveRoller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
All of that applied a couple of days ago, too. Therein lies my lack of hope.

So we are lucky because we have a bunch of good guys like Brandon Bostick and Seahawk fans are unlucky because they have to cheer for loudmouth Sherman and truculent Lynch?

Poor Seahawk fans, I'll be thinking of how unfortunate you are on Super Bowl Sunday when you will be forced to cheer on all your bad actors while Packer fans will be telling each other what great people AJ Hawk, Brad Jones, and Brandon Bostick are.

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree this team has a bright future in front of it but some improvements have to be made. First and foremost the ILB position needs a huge upgrade and I would be fine with adding a receiving threat at TE as well. McCarthy should think about letting Slocum go.

I agree there are some pieces that can be added to bolster the roster but as I mentioned I think we don't have any of those "holy crap we better fix that" positions. Barrington will be better next year and I just keep picturing CJ Moseley on this team and think of where we'd be had that happened. That kid made the Pro Bowl (straight up, no late addition) in his first year with the Ravens...oh well, Dix is going to be special. I am hoping Joe Thomas can bring something to the table next year and was glad to see him on the list of resigned practice players. I 100% agree with you though WIMM and hope that be it through FA or the draft we can bolster the ILB position and have it become a position of strength for us. On the TE front I agree as well. Rodgers (89) has already shown the ability to make the tough catch and should be a great possession receiver for the next few years but we need a guy like 88 to help out. I mentioned to my friends numerous times this year how not having Jermichael on this team hurts more than people think. Everyone can say what they will about him but he was a matchup nightmare be it stretching the D over the middle or more precisely the part of the field that ended our season...the red zone aka The No Fly Zone. I am not saying he would have been a cure-all but this is part of the reason I wanted Owen Daniels so badly as he is a pro's pro and more times than not finds a way to get open in the RZ.

Slocum is a different animal all together. I want him gone in the worst way and if he is back I will be crazy disappointed. I don't want Zook to take over either. I want someone that had nothing to do with the previous ST group and just can't see any justification for SS keeping his post. I could carve on him for hours on end so I will stop there and keep it brief. Have a day y'all and as always G P G!

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I guess I have kind of a hybrid attitude going simply off comments in this thread. I used to be one of those fans who did anything and everything to make sure I aw each and every Packers game. When I bought my business one of the first things I did once football season rolled around was to close on Sundays so I could see them all. In all fairness Sundays were not a huge day for me anyway so that made the decision easier and there were other things besides the games that factored in but nonetheless the games were a factor. After several years business started to falter and I made the decision Diesel is contemplating. I didn't go so far as to open on Sundays but I made sure that if certain business functions or opportunities came up on gamedays the business functions would take precedence. I can still recall the first game I missed. It was against the Redskins 5 or 6 years ago maybe even more. Since then I have probably seen half of the Packer games. This past season I only saw the primetime games because I had two nephews playing youth football on Sundays and seeing those games meant far more to me than any Packers game ever could. I missed the first 3 quarters of this past game because I was at a basketball tournament

I still watch every game I can and I still cheer for the Packers to win and I still want them to win every game. I still follow them on fan forums like this one and Packershome.com and I will keep up to date with daily checks on the various sports sites but I no longer read every single article that comes out about the Packers. That's kind of where the hybrid attitude comes in. Dbain21 said "I'd be willing to bet you'll be watching the pack excited as hell opening Sunday next september" and I would say yes I certainly will be. If something more important does not come up I will be there. I've just realized over the years that there are quite a few things that are more important than I would have thought 10 years ago. I will however be just as excited and optimistic as ever. Perhaps even more so since I don't dwell on the negative anymore.

To Dieseljunkie12 I say it may be rough at first but I think you may actually come to enjoy the Packers even more. I think I have. Losses used to get me down for days and I sometimes had a hard time enjoying the wins because of the interspersed losses. Now I thoroughly enjoy each win and for the most part the losses don't bother me much. Sunday's loss was disappointing but it was not nearly as earth shattering to me as it obviously was for some others and I am thankful for that. I'm not saying you have to be a fan like me. Some of you don't want to be and for some of you may not even be possible. All I am saying is it works for me and I wouldn't go back to being the way I was for anything.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Very interesting post,sschind, and one I find I have a lot in common with. I'm edge of the seat during the games, but win or lose, a few minutes after it's over, I'm onto "what's next?" It's all about perspective; it's entertainment, not the real world, and the two never blend nor do I ever have a hard time distinguishing the two.
During the blowout of the Bears earlier this season, I was at my favorite bar- I usually watch the Packers at home so I can focus on the game without distractions- when I got into a conversation in the second half and missed a play or two. Not a big deal, but then I realized that those were literally the first plays of a Packer game I had missed since the '88 season. No plays missed in 26 years? You must be a fanatic, my boy. Did I freak out, grow despondent? I had a good laugh, said"Oh well, the streak is over" and went back to enjoying the evening. The people I was with were upset that they distracted me; I had to reassure them it was all good.
It's all in the perspective, and keepin' things real.

Pack12TX

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Very interesting post,sschind, and one I find I have a lot in common with. I'm edge of the seat during the games, but win or lose, a few minutes after it's over, I'm onto "what's next?" It's all about perspective; it's entertainment, not the real world, and the two never blend nor do I ever have a hard time distinguishing the two.
During the blowout of the Bears earlier this season, I was at my favorite bar- I usually watch the Packers at home so I can focus on the game without distractions- when I got into a conversation in the second half and missed a play or two. Not a big deal, but then I realized that those were literally the first plays of a Packer game I had missed since the '88 season. No plays missed in 26 years? You must be a fanatic, my boy. Did I freak out, grow despondent? I had a good laugh, said"Oh well, the streak is over" and went back to enjoying the evening. The people I was with were upset that they distracted me; I had to reassure them it was all good.
It's all in the perspective, and keepin' things real.
PackerDNA - Agreed, I am completely focused on every game but when it is over, win or lose, I'm looking forward. Things used to be completely opposite. When we would lose I would act like a crazy man, throwing tantrums. Watching this game with my 2 teenage sons really shows me how I have changed. While they have no perspective at all, I have learned to just sit back and be entertained. Don't get me wrong, I still do have a pit in my stomach regarding the loss but I am able to channel my emotions on what's really important in life. Here's to another year of Packer football - and looking forward to many, many more.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Same here,Pack12TX. I still get the 'pit in the stomach' thing, but I enjoy the whole thing a lot more now than when I was younger.

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's so cool reading all these posts about perspective. I used to go absolutely bat-S crazy when the boys lost and sometimes it would seem to ruin my day/weekend. I would try with all my might to not go overboard but sure enough come the end of a loss I would turn into a child who was told, "no more ice cream" by their mom. Look, I can't even lie, after the loss on Sunday I sat on the edge of my bed and teared up a touch. To be sooooooo close to the big game and watch it disappear in a flash was more than I could handle. I pouted for about 5-6 minutes then heard my little to be 3 year old screaming Go Pack Go (at her moms urging I am sure) in the living room. I got up, got my head right and proceeded to give her piggy-back rides around the house. I would get waves of emotions about every 20 minutes and want to break something but kept my cool and kept telling myself it was just a game. Hell, typing this post seems to be helping me and in a weird way be somewhat therapeutic. These feeling I had sitting in my house in Broken Arrow, Oklahoma led me to seek out Bostick on Twitter the next morning and offer some words of encouragement. If I feel this way being so far removed from the epicenter I imagined what that poor young man felt like and it broke my heart. Among the many reasons I am thankful for my wife and child the gift of perspective is the one that allows me to deal with my team losing more than any other. It is truly amazing how much you can get wrapped up in something that you have no control over but if you are a real, true, die-hard Packers fan I am sure you are reading a lot of these posts and saying to yourself, "damn, I thought I was the only one..." No my friends you are not and as I keep saying in other posts we have much to be thankful for and I rest easy knowing that we are not in some rebuild mode and I can't wait for another great season! G P G!!

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

It's so cool reading all these posts about perspective. I used to go absolutely bat-S crazy when the boys lost and sometimes it would seem to ruin my day/weekend. I would try with all my might to not go overboard but sure enough come the end of a loss I would turn into a child who was told, "no more ice cream" by their mom. Look, I can't even lie, after the loss on Sunday I sat on the edge of my bed and teared up a touch. To be sooooooo close to the big game and watch it disappear in a flash was more than I could handle. I pouted for about 5-6 minutes then heard my little to be 3 year old screaming Go Pack Go (at her moms urging I am sure) in the living room. I got up, got my head right and proceeded to give her piggy-back rides around the house. I would get waves of emotions about every 20 minutes and want to break something but kept my cool and kept telling myself it was just a game. Hell, typing this post seems to be helping me and in a weird way be somewhat therapeutic. These feeling I had sitting in my house in Broken Arrow, Oklahoma led me to seek out Bostick on Twitter the next morning and offer some words of encouragement. If I feel this way being so far removed from the epicenter I imagined what that poor young man felt like and it broke my heart. Among the many reasons I am thankful for my wife and child the gift of perspective is the one that allows me to deal with my team losing more than any other. It is truly amazing how much you can get wrapped up in something that you have no control over but if you are a real, true, die-hard Packers fan I am sure you are reading a lot of these posts and saying to yourself, "damn, I thought I was the only one..." No my friends you are not and as I keep saying in other posts we have much to be thankful for and I rest easy knowing that we are not in some rebuild mode and I can't wait for another great season! G P G!!

Can the forum (Moderators) send you the bill for the councelling section, by allowing you to unload it ? :D

Bignutz

I'm a victim of coicumstances!
Reaction score
Give it time.

I had the same thoughts last night. I could stand to take a less vested interest as well.

I just feel like the packers are part of my life, which is why these games sting more.

On the other hand, it is also what separates us from teams like the hawks, whose fan base started leaving then tried to all come back into the stadium.

Amen, I said the same thing but come next season I'll be right there watching every game!

Latest posts