After 2 years on job, GM offers hope

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
By Mike Vandermause
[align=left]
You must be logged in to see this image or video!
[/align]

Two years ago today, Ted Thompson was named general manager of the Green Bay Packers.

He was given a broom and free rein to clean house. Instead, he took a bulldozer and embarked on a major remodeling project.

Just 16 players remain from the Packers’ 53-man roster of two seasons ago, which means Thompson blew up 70 percent of the team.

Job security in the NFL is shaky under normal circumstances. But with Thompson at the helm, the revolving door at Packers headquarters has been spinning rapidly.

It begs the question: Are the Packers better off than they were two years ago?

Yes and no, which is a reflection of Thompson’s approach to rebuilding.

For example, the Packers in the short term have a worse offensive line than they did two years ago, because a pair of rookie guards was thrust into the starting lineup this past season.

Daryn Colledge and Jason Spitz aren’t as good as Mike Wahle and Marco Rivera … yet. But based on the potential of the rookies, the long-term outlook is promising.

Under Thompson, the Packers’ linebacking corps went from a position of weakness to strength. A.J. Hawk and Brady Poppinga are significant upgrades over Na’il Diggs and Hannibal Navies.

All told, the Packers are better on defense and worse on offense, where age has eroded the team at running back and tight end. You can do only so much in two years, and Thompson hasn’t gotten around to drafting anyone at those positions.

The Packers’ record since Thompson took over is just 12-20, which doesn’t sit well with those who demand instant gratification. But there is reason to believe the team is in good hands.

The Packers no longer waste draft choices like quarters at an arcade. Under Thompson, the draft is seen as the lifeblood of the franchise.

Thompson still must prove he is an effective talent evaluator, and that only will come with time. The early indications, however, bode well for the future.

His 2006 draft has the potential to be one of the best in recent memory. It already has produced four starters — Hawk, Colledge, Spitz and receiver Greg Jennings. Of the 12 draft choices, 11 are with the team.

Thompson also has displayed a willingness to open his checkbook in the free-agent market, when necessary. Cornerback Charles Woodson and defensive lineman Ryan Pickett were key acquisitions last offseason.

Despite his mild-mannered temperament, Thompson has a little bit of Ron Wolf blood in his veins. He is capable of making tough choices, such as the sacking of coach Mike Sherman last year. He also isn’t shy about carrying out unpopular decisions, such as the hiring of an unproven coach in Mike McCarthy or the signing of troubled receiver Koren Robinson.

Like any general manager, Thompson has made some mistakes. He extended Sherman’s contract too soon and cost the team millions of dollars; he failed in his first attempt to retool the offensive line in 2005; he let Javon Walker’s discontent fester and eventually was forced to trade the talented receiver.

Twenty-four months into the job, Thompson has a lot of work to do.

The retirement decision of quarterback Brett Favre looms large over the franchise, and Thompson’s career could ride on his ability to find an adequate replacement.

There never are any guarantees in the NFL. But in Thompson, the Packers have a leader who offers hope for the future.

Mike Vandermause is sports editor of the Press-Gazette.

PackerLegend

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought he has did pretty good so far, no GM will hit the nail right on the head with everything. We could have Matt Millen!

Cory

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought he has did pretty good so far, no GM will hit the nail right on the head with everything. We could have Matt Millen!

If we had Matt Millen, he wouldn't have lasted this long for sure. Seven years? No way. I could see 3, but not 7.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
There never are any guarantees in the NFL. But in Thompson, the Packers have a leader who offers hope for the future.

Maybe....

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm really looking forward to this off season because I think this will be Ted's biggest challenge yet. Can he fill those holes and make this a play off team next year? Will he spend some of that money on free agents? If Favre doesn't come back, does he go out and get a Quarterback? Can he find some receivers, a safety a corner, and defensive lineman, a back up lineman, a running back and special return guy?

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm really looking forward to this off season because I think this will be Ted's biggest challenge yet. Can he fill those holes and make this a play off team next year? Will he spend some of that money on free agents? If Favre doesn't come back, does he go out and get a Quarterback? Can he find some receivers, a safety a corner, and defensive lineman, a back up lineman, a running back and special return guy?

Can he find some receivers? Well, I'm hoping we trade for Moss.

A safety? Agreed, we need one.

A corner? Depends on if Dendy develops into what some folks on this board thinks he can develop into.

A defensive lineman? I actually think we're fine here. Ever since Jenkins has moved to starting DE, that is. Despite what others think, Harris and Woodson have NOT lost a step. I'll take our starters over any two CBs in the league.

A RB? Will Morency eventually replace Green, or will we need to look elsewhere? I'm starting to like Morency, but we'll see.

A special return guy? I think KRob is our man here.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's true. NO GM hits on all picks all the time. I think so far, TT has done pretty good. If Murphy wouldn't have been hurt and knocked out of football, i think we would have had another good WR. It was a shame he was hurt.

Since69

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers no longer waste draft choices like quarters at an arcade. Under Thompson, the draft is seen as the lifeblood of the franchise.

Good line. And very true. I hated the way Sherman drafted.

Members online

Latest posts