1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
  2. Announcement is LIVE: Read the Forum Post

Adventures in Moving

Discussion in 'The Atrium' started by PackFanNChiTown, Feb 13, 2014.

1. PackFanNChiTown

PackFanNChiTown Bear Fan's Bane

Ratings:
    +364
    Greetings all.

Since it's the off season, I thought I'd share a small chapter of my own little adventure, (especially since it's the off season).

We're moving from the Chicago area to the Madison, WI area on 2/28/14. This is the house we're buying.

Few outside shots (some taken before snowmaggeddon hit obviously)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Kind of digging the ceiling fan on the porch

[​IMG]

This will be the new Packer Man-Cave

[​IMG]

Downstairs TV area gas fireplace with remote (never done one of these before).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This will be the new second bedroom. We're having a contractor do some work for us including moving this french door to a smaller bedroom and replace it with a solid white

[​IMG]

Walls are getting painted a subtle gold color all over. I'm loving the Jacuzzi.

[​IMG]

Master bedroom (with their furniture)

[​IMG]

The kitchen is just the ****. I'm loving the six burner stove and the pot rack (always wanted one of these)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Living room shots. The flooring is brazilian teak which is pretty cool. We're getting the master bedroom done with the same flooring along with the smaller 3rd bedroom.

[​IMG]

The previous owners wall mounted the TV on an extension arm. He ran all the cables up the wall, over the ceiling and down into the foyer coat closet. Kind of smart as it hides the cable box, receiver and all other gizmos but bad location so we're having it moved above the fireplace. I've never had an infrared extender so that will be fun to learn about. The twisted pair to HDMI converter is a little concerning in regard to potential signal loss but have to live with it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The one ****** part to what is normally a pretty...what...elegant?...house is the shower doors in the master bath. They're kind of the bargain-basement style you might find in a mobile home (nothing against that of course). Our other showers have been tile with clear glass doors

[​IMG]

Hot water heater pipes are a little different. From what I understand, when the hot water is not in use, it continuously circulates through a redundant set if pipes to always keep warm water in the pipes. So we're heating the 40 or fifty gallons in your heater plus everything in the pipes, but also provides hot water faster.

[​IMG]

So that's it, kind of excited to get out of ChicagoLand and finally move up amongst my Packer brethren, plus the excitement of a new town and places to explore. I'll get more pics posted once we're moved in and/or during the contractor modifications.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Defense92

Defense92 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +74
    Congratulations! I guess you have to change your user name now.

3. buggybill2003

buggybill2003 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,075
    Very nice mate. Congratulation on escaping from Chicago :tup:

4. PackFanNChiTown

Ratings:
    +364
    LOL everyone says that. I would if I could :)

5. PackFanNChiTown

Ratings:
    +364
    Thanks mate!

6. Vltrophy

Vltrophy Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +391
    Congrats on the new house. Hope u have or will have a nice riding mower.

7. Dan115

Dan115 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +484
    great move. I moved from Florida to Thailand 15 months ago.

8. Poppa San

Poppa San SB I trophy First of four Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,038
    @robdog can change it for you. I think LTF or Kitten can also. PM them if that is your wish.

We have the circulating hot water to the upstairs bathroom. Really nice to have on the 2am trips to the latrine. Takes almost 24 hours to fully establish after power outages or vacations when the whole system is cold.

9. PackFanNChiTown

Ratings:
    +364
    Didn't think about having an admin do it, may give that a shot after I get settled, thanks!

10. PackFanNChiTown

Ratings:
    +364
    We were looking at mowers at Home Despot today but before I get "serious" about making such an investment I'll be hitting the forums and doing research for the best brand/model, etc.

11. Poppa San

Poppa San SB I trophy First of four Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,038
    I'd stay clear of the John Deere lines sold at the big box retailers. For the most part they are a lesser quality than the more expensive lines. Basically they slap a John Deere color scheme and stickers on a cheap mower and charge more. I don't have direct experience with them but this is the gist of what I've seen as I look for parts for my 70's era Deere. You'd be money ahead looking for an antique from the 80's and 90's on Craigs list even if the price is the same or a bit more.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Vltrophy

Vltrophy Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +391
    Don't recall the brand but saw a commercial where one had turn on like zero. Better than turning on a dime

• Like Like x 1
  13. PackFanNChiTown

Ratings:
    +364
    I doubt I'd go big-box retailer. I'd want to explore what maybe the local Ace Hardware was selling and/or a mower shop first, but the older mower is an option too. Maybe one that can mount a plow as that would be an advantage too

14. PackFanNChiTown

Ratings:
    +364
    For a little updates, the most important room in the house, the Packers man cave, is proceeding well!

Wife spent a very long time trying to find one of these lamps with this style of shade. Most are out of stock but she surprised me by finding this one on ebay.

[​IMG]
    The rug arrived this week also, adds a nice layer to the flooring especially under the table:

[​IMG]
    I thought these added a nice touch:

[​IMG]

The couch and chair were custom made and both are quite comfortable, (as you can see from the other picture we upgraded the rug)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The ceiling fan light is a bit bright. The guy who gave me the Lombardi pic said it used to hang in Lambeau but can't confirm. Regardless I'm quite fond of it and think it forms a great focal point to the room.

[​IMG]

15. Joe Nor Cal Packer

Joe Nor Cal Packer Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +64
    Congrats on the move and wow what a great house. We moved from Milwaukee to Nor Cal in 2000. That house in Nor Cal would be $2 mil, just for the acreage. What did it list for?

16. PackFanNChiTown

Ratings:
    +364
    Thanks!

The pictures are slightly deceptive, it's only a .39 acre lot. We bought for $310,000 but the VA appraiser appraised it at $324K so that was nice.

17. Joe Nor Cal Packer

Joe Nor Cal Packer Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +64
    I actually guessed it was a bit bigger than 1/3 rd of an acre, looks so similar to my house in Greendale outside of Milwaukee. .39 acres is a lot of land out here. Most houses are on lots less than .1 acres, postage stamps, very small yards of course, and a 2000 sq foot house still sells for $750k. Although the Chicago burbs can get pricey. You'll love Madison, very cosmopolitan being an international college town. Go Pack and Go Bucky!

18. PackFanNChiTown

Ratings:
    +364
    So far I'm definitely loving it up here and the house is a big reason why. Haven't taken the time to tour Madison much yet though we did find Ella's Deli which was pretty cool. Otherwise we're still buying stuff and settling in (get to mow the lawn tomorrow if it doesn't rain, that's a treat lol).

19. AmishMafia

AmishMafia Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,862
    Congrats! Looks beautiful. Contemplating a move myself - was hoping that the pictures you were posting was the house you were leaving and thus available for me.