Adrian Peterson signing with saints for 3 million

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I guess some people are not big on forgiveness.
I don't forgive him. It was the worst thing I have seen. btw I know he fumbled trying to get more but I like Ripkowski as a sometimes runner. And I think he will have learned from that horrible mistake.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

If that is directed at me.... my main issue with Petersen is my opinion that he no longer has it... despite Slacker's blind worship, what I saw last year was not a guy that can still be a great running back. As far as "forgiving" him goes, that is a completely different issue. Frankly, while I don't spend a lot of time thinking about it where he is concerned. I watch the game for entertainment and I want to be able to root for the individual as well as the team. If I do not like a particular player for whatever reason... that becomes more difficult. I am not required to "forgive him". Frankly, I will follow my own moral compass and feel no need to justify it. In my personal life, I get along with people just fine which, of course, occasionally require me to forgive some transgression or another. I do not feel the need to extend this courtesy to strangers on the TV screen.

I don't doubt you get on fine with other people, and I am not disputing your RIGHT to have your opinion. Personally speaking I have always believed everybody messes up sometime in their life, I just feel everybody deserves a second chance. I agree he may have lost a step or two with injuries, but we'll never know if he would have been an asset or not will we ?

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

I don't forgive him. It was the worst thing I have seen. btw I know he fumbled trying to get more but I like Ripkowski as a sometimes runner. And I think he will have learned from that horrible mistake.

Again, I respect your right to have your opinion, and neither of us are right or wrong, we just differ. I've made some mistakes in my life but I learned from them, and thankfully people forgave me.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't doubt you get on fine with other people, and I am not disputing your RIGHT to have your opinion. Personally speaking I have always believed everybody messes up sometime in their life, I just feel everybody deserves a second chance. I agree he may have lost a step or two with injuries, but we'll never know if he would have been an asset or not will we ?
done with the forgiveness point lol.... as far as knowing whether or not he can still play... it appears the Saints are giving us a chance to find out without any risk to the Pack.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Charles is going to be more used up than Peterson though. I think his knee is completely done and if it's not, it won't take long before it is. Peterson has a chance to be mildly effective at times, but I think he might make the season. I don't have the same feeling for Charles.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not sure if this was posted elsewhere.....but rumor is, for what they are worth, is that Blount could be headed to the Giants. Blount was the one FA RB that I would have liked to have seen land in GB, but oh well.....just one more pressing need in Teddy's draft!
I feel like the decision to draft a rb was made when lacy was sent out... AP didn't even get a visit...

Another theory. Early on when McCarthy was more conservative. He was ridiculed for years about his play calling being predictable. I think that was due to him having a rb for running and a rb for 3rd down pass plays.
I think to avoid that, we need to have rbs who can do both. Run and catch. You look at the current best rb in the NFL, my opinion Lavean bell. He does it all . Montgomery has that potential imo... but we need to draft a good rb too. One who doesn't tell the defense that "HEY! This will be a run play!!!"
Meaning, we should draft a rb who is quick, lean, tough, and can catch. Not the 240+ work horse I usually want.

If there is a good side to not keeping lacy, or picking up AP, is that we get more carries for the explosive Montgomery. That speed and quickness of his makes me rethink what I want in a rb.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
lol last 2 out of 3 seasons shortened by injury... and you post this in support of him....
Like rbs don't get hurt? It just happens. And when you look at the big picture, he has probably led the league in rushing more times than he has has short years...
And though I agree it would be a mistake to expect 300+ carries like he is used to. I think a solid Montgomery/ Peterson rotation would be very very good.

I did consider that the rest of his body has had time to heal while the leg injury stopped him from playing. And the child abuse thing in 2014. All the little injuries are probably back to normal. And he is most likely dying to get back on top...

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I feel like the decision to draft a rb was made when lacy was sent out... AP didn't even get a visit...

Another theory. Early on when McCarthy was more conservative. He was ridiculed for years about his play calling being predictable. I think that was due to him having a rb for running and a rb for 3rd down pass plays.
I think to avoid that, we need to have rbs who can do both. Run and catch. You look at the current best rb in the NFL, my opinion Lavean bell. He does it all . Montgomery has that potential imo... but we need to draft a good rb too. One who doesn't tell the defense that "HEY! This will be a run play!!!"
Meaning, we should draft a rb who is quick, lean, tough, and can catch. Not the 240+ work horse I usually want.

If there is a good side to not keeping lacy, or picking up AP, is that we get more carries for the explosive Montgomery. That speed and quickness of his makes me rethink what I want in a rb.

I'm trying to understand your post and how it relates to your previous desire for the Packers to sign Peterson. Not trying to pick on you for that (wanting Peterson), but isn't Peterson the quintessential back of "hey we are going to run the ball"?

Personally, I think it' important to have rotating backs and you do need a guy like Lacy or Blount, that can run against a stacked box. I'm not convinced anyone currently on the team (besides Rip) is a back that can do that. Now the Packers don't see defenses loading up for the run very often, mainly because defenses don't have to, but it would be nice to get a power RB in the draft, that defenses have to respect the fact that he can break one, even against a stacked box. I still view Monty as a good back, who can punish a defense for not respecting the run.

D

Deleted member 6794

What's stupid is ignoring the fact the vikes have terrible qbs during Peterson's career. Defenses respect their pass about as much as they do our run game.
So you take a bad pass blocking oline, and a qb that no defense respects. And then blame Peterson when a draw or delayed hand off doesn't work???
Comparing Peterson's stats out of the shotgun vs what he would see in Greenbay is comparing apples to oranges...

Also, when your qb sucks and there is no respect for the pass attack. It's safer to just hand it off to the stud rb. Where as in Greenbay, the safest place for the ball is in Rodgers hands.... big differences...

Peterson has had success rushing the ball with the quarterback under center though while having below average quarterbacks. He wouldn't have been a good fit for the Packers offense and I'm glad he signed somewhere else.

I'm surprised he settled for $3M.

I guess Peterson didn't get any better offers.

I say bring in Charles, and make the contract incentive heavy.

Unfortunately I believe Charles is done for good.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think MN had any intention of bringing him back, not even for that amount of money.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
This is your short yardage downhill runner who can move the pile forward. This is what's missing from the roster.
The Packers need a Lacy like back who can get into the endzone, something Lacy did a lot of in his "good years", 24 TD's in his first 2 years (4 of them receiving). I don't see that type of player in the 3 that the Packers currently have. Rip might be able to pick up a yard or 2 in a stacked box, but he isn't going to do much other then run up the middle and try to move the pile. Blount is STILL a guy I would love to see the Packers sign, but the clock is ticking and if they don't, they should look for a similar back in the draft. I like D'Onta Foreman as that guy.

D

Deleted member 6794

The Packers need a Lacy like back who can get into the endzone, something Lacy did a lot of in his "good years", 24 TD's in his first 2 years (4 of them receiving). I don't see that type of player in the 3 that the Packers currently have. Rip might be able to pick up a yard or 2 in a stacked box, but he isn't going to do much other then run up the middle and try to move the pile. Blount is STILL a guy I would love to see the Packers sign, but the clock is ticking and if they don't, they should look for a similar back in the draft. I like D'Onta Foreman as that guy.

FWIW acording to Cheesehead TV the Packers are one of the teams linked to Jamaal Charles.

http://m.cheeseheadtv.com/blog/form...-charles-once-again-linked-to-the-packers-221

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Peterson's market fell out. It doesn't look like any team gave him serious consideration as the #1 guy, therefore he took chose to take some child support money and live close to his home in Texas. I loved watching Peterson play, but the injuries at this point are a concern. He didn't look good at his healthy times last year and then got injured twice in limited play. As Captain has said and I agree 100%, he's not what we need. We need a James White type of RB that can catch out of the backfield to compliment Rodgers.

As for the guy who can push the pile, that needs to be Rip. If he can't prove his worth in that category then he shouldn't be on the roster. Getting Blount or another would mean to me that one of those roster spots is wasted. I think that Rip can run the ball effectively as he and McCarthy proved last year. Draft a ball-catching RB and use him with Rip and Montgomery. We will be dynamic.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
As for the guy who can push the pile, that needs to be Rip. If he can't prove his worth in that category then he shouldn't be on the roster. Getting Blount or another would mean to me that one of those roster spots is wasted. I think that Rip can run the ball effectively as he and McCarthy proved last year. Draft a ball-catching RB and use him with Rip and Montgomery. We will be dynamic.

Isn't that kind of what we already have with Monty and somewhat with the 2 guys behind him, Michael and Jackson? While I like Rip for short yardage, I think the Packers would be better off having a complimentary back to Monty, not one that has the same traits. When Starks was playing well and Lacy was healthy, I think that was what the Packers had, kind of a 1-2 punch. Another "Monty like back" may put too much reliance on always having to go to Rip on short yardage or stacked boxes.

D

Deleted member 6794

I'm fine with Ripkowski getting the occasional carry but I don't feel confident relying too much on him running the ball. I would prefer the Packers to add a running back similar to Lacy.

Last edited by a moderator:

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes, New Orleans is such a model of efficiency in free agency. They're the model franchise in this regard. AP is basically a lock to work out now!

You're absolutely right! Since the Saints had FA pickups not work out in the past, anything going forward should just be considered a bad signing.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm trying to understand your post and how it relates to your previous desire for the Packers to sign Peterson. Not trying to pick on you for that (wanting Peterson), but isn't Peterson the quintessential back of "hey we are going to run the ball"?

Personally, I think it' important to have rotating backs and you do need a guy like Lacy or Blount, that can run against a stacked box. I'm not convinced anyone currently on the team (besides Rip) is a back that can do that. Now the Packers don't see defenses loading up for the run very often, mainly because defenses don't have to, but it would be nice to get a power RB in the draft, that defenses have to respect the fact that he can break one, even against a stacked box. I still view Monty as a good back, who can punish a defense for not respecting the run.
I seen the irony as I wrote it...
I justify it because Peterson has the ability to hit big even when they know the run is coming... and the fact that he commands that kind of respect from defenses, opens up the pass like we have never seen...

Peterson has super human will power imo. He runs through guys. As soon as he breaks through the line, he is galloping to hit that top speed asap. NO messing around!!! He wants to score, and he knows he can do it on any given play...

GB rbs seem surprised when they break through the line. They stop and dance. Letting the defense catch up... Monty is 15 yds down field on the initial burst, before he realizes he is free, and starts dancing. Monty hits top speed asap rather than dancing looking for an angle or block. And great things will happen imo.

Lacy is the type of rb I really like historically. Big strong, but quick feet for a big guy, and has a burst... but after seeing Monty, I'm beginning to change my mind... I want a rb with home run speed., and who can catch. Monty is it, except he could be a tad faster on the top end...

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Isn't that kind of what we already have with Monty and somewhat with the 2 guys behind him, Michael and Jackson? While I like Rip for short yardage, I think the Packers would be better off having a complimentary back to Monty, not one that has the same traits. When Starks was playing well and Lacy was healthy, I think that was what the Packers had, kind of a 1-2 punch. Another "Monty like back" may put too much reliance on always having to go to Rip on short yardage or stacked boxes.
I remember on short yardage plays when Peyton Manning would drop back unexpectedly...fear.

And I remember when I see GB lining up power run ... also fear...

I say we embrace the pass first Rodgers offense. Give him another rb who could play wr (Cobb?) And strike fear into other teams defenses like Manning did to every defense he faced. Those fast quick rbs can get it done imo...

Our run blocking is Basicly ranked 33rd in the league for the last half decade or more. Let's quit banging our heads against the wall, and let #12 do his thing.

Reaction score
Good for Adrian. I'm glad he found a home and it wouldn't surprise me if he does well but he would've detracted from what I think our goal is. I think GB found a diamond in the rough in Montgomery and the way he took to the backfield was like a fish to water. If he can do that well instinctively while converting in-season? He might be better than we think once he goes through an entire camp and preseason conditioning.
By converting Monty and holding on to Jackson and Michael plus 2 FB's, that makes 5 RB's already. This gives us the ability to go WR or RB between rounds 2-5 depending on who is the most talented player left. Either way we benefit because we have to start thinking about Jordy's age and Davante being a FA and the $ he might demand. Somewhere in 2017 or 2018 we will draft a WR fairly high.. so if he's there at round 2 or 3 this draft?I expect us to pull the trigger. The bigger picture is beginning to open IMO, I think we have a great amount of respect for Ty and what he might accomplish at RB

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I remember on short yardage plays when Peyton Manning would drop back unexpectedly...fear.

And I remember when I see GB lining up power run ... also fear...

I say we embrace the pass first Rodgers offense. Give him another rb who could play wr (Cobb?) And strike fear into other teams defenses like Manning did to every defense he faced. Those fast quick rbs can get it done imo...

Our run blocking is Basicly ranked 33rd in the league for the last half decade or more. Let's quit banging our heads against the wall, and let #12 do his thing.

While interesting in theory, I think you need some kind of running game to keep a defense honest and then there is always the chance that #12 goes down and ........oh never mind....if that happens, season over anyway.

Members online

Latest posts