Adrian Peterson and his fumbles

OP
OP
H

Hauschild

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't find it funny at all. I find it tragic that a few of Favre's key teammates decided not to show up 100 percent on that fateful Sunday - frighteningly similar to the circumstances in 2007, although in 2007, Green Bay was completely outclassed. This past NFCCG, Favre completely dominated the New Orleans' defense - even with Berrian losing a fumble inside the 10, Part Time losing a fumble inside the 5 and Harvin losing another in opponents' territory. Favre played outstanding, in my opinion, which has been formulated by extensive studying of NFL football over the past 20 years.

Chilly lost a lot of confidence in Part Time, and you saw it play out over the end of the regular season and playoffs. Part Time could just as easily be considered an accident waiting to happen as he could be an unstoppable NFL force. Granted, his O-line has taken a major step backwards since his first couple of years, but he is in the prime - under age 27.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
I don't find it funny at all. I find it tragic that a few of Favre's key teammates decided not to show up 100 percent on that fateful Sunday - frighteningly similar to the circumstances in 2007, although in 2007, Green Bay was completely outclassed. This past NFCCG, Favre completely dominated the New Orleans' defense - even with Berrian losing a fumble inside the 10, Part Time losing a fumble inside the 5 and Harvin losing another in opponents' territory. Favre played outstanding, in my opinion, which has been formulated by extensive studying of NFL football over the past 20 years.

Chilly lost a lot of confidence in Part Time, and you saw it play out over the end of the regular season and playoffs. Part Time could just as easily be considered an accident waiting to happen as he could be an unstoppable NFL force. Granted, his O-line has taken a major step backwards since his first couple of years, but he is in the prime - under age 27.
LOL. I'm sorry, but I just can't help it. Let's take your statement one by one.

"Part Time losing a fumble inside the 5" I assume you mean the fumble at the end of thefirst half. Sorry, but that was charged to Brett.
2-4-NO 4 (1:00) B.Favre FUMBLES (Aborted) at NO 10, RECOVERED by NO-S.Fujita at NO 10. S.Fujita to NO 10 for no gain
(A.Peterson).

"Harvin losing another in opponents' territory." Harvin fumbled on the Vikings 22 yard line, NO recovered on the 12 an took it to the Vikings 7 yard line. This is the only turnover in the game that resulted in points for the Saints.
1-10-MIN 27 (14:21) (Shotgun) P.Harvin left end to MIN 22 for -5 yards (W.Smith). FUMBLES (W.Smith), touched at MIN 22, RECOVERED
by NO-R.Ayodele at MIN 12. R.Ayodele to MIN 7 for 5 yards (J.Dugan).

Both of Petersons fumbles came in the 3rd and one was recoverd by Thai, and the other by Peterson himself. And as to Chilli losing confidence in Peterson, were do you come up with this? If he wasn't playing or getting 25 touches a game I would say you might have something. But you don't.

The Vikings dominated the Saints in the second half except for one thing, fumbles and interceptions. Had they not done that the final score would have been more like 45-21 in favor of MN. And I make that statement, which of course is my opinion, based on 45 years of watching the NFL. Favre didn't cause the loss, Peterson didn't cause the loss, Berrian didn't cause the loss. They didn't help in winning because of the mistakes. If I had to point to one thing it would be Harvins fumble. But even that could have been overcome without the other losses of the ball in the second half.

OP
OP
H

Hauschild

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We all seem to have our biases here, but I will remain steadfast in my belief that Part Time is no longer the threat he was last year or even two years ago. You can fight me on it all you want, but I watched EVERY Vikings game in 2009 and there was certainly a significant drop off in production from Part Time. Injury related? Mentally related? O-line related? Can't speculate on it, but Part Time is NOT the same back and is not being treated like the same back he was a year ago.

The thing is, people love Part Time because of the home run threat, but how many home runs did he hit in 2009 of 30+ yard TD runs, or just runs??? Compare this number to Chris Johnson as a benchmark.

I think I'm slightly ahead of the curve on this one, but that's old hat around here.

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
We all seem to have our biases here, but I will remain steadfast in my belief that Part Time is no longer the threat he was last year or even two years ago. You can fight me on it all you want, but I watched EVERY Vikings game in 2009 and there was certainly a significant drop off in production from Part Time. Injury related? Mentally related? O-line related? Can't speculate on it, but Part Time is NOT the same back and is not being treated like the same back he was a year ago.
You don't think it could be "Childress got enamored with throwing the ball" related. They seemed to throw a lot more this year than they ever have. Almost how Andy Reid would throw ton even though they had Brian Westbrook at the height of his powers.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
You don't think it could be "Childress got enamored with throwing the ball" related. They seemed to throw a lot more this year than they ever have. Almost how Andy Reid would throw ton even though they had Brian Westbrook at the height of his powers.

533 passing att in 09 467 rushes in 09

452 att in 08 519 rushes in 08

SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

but that is only cuz AP sucked in 09...

has nothing to do with the DEFENSES they played and what those opposing D were better at
(something Haus claims was Bretts bad games, defense stats)

OP
OP
H

Hauschild

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Sure, some of it had to do with the Vikings having competent QB play, but you also have to remember that stellar QB play opens up the running game. If this is true, why did AP's numbers decline, when there weren't 8 in the box on every play???

I've only listened to a few talking heads with enough insight to touch on Petersen's troubles down the stretch, but I'm sure we'll be hearing more as the new season approaches.

I think many of us get caught up in not wanting to believe certain things, but I pretty much observe and report. Look at Petersen's per carry average down the stretch - a stat that with Favre's stats, most certainly goes up 100 percent of the time.

I'd also keep any eye on Chester Taylor and what the Vikes decide to do. If they keep him and wind up spending a good chunk of change, then you know something is amiss with Part Time. Right now, we're speculating that he's still a beast or that he's lost a certain something.

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sure, some of it had to do with the Vikings having competent QB play, but you also have to remember that stellar QB play opens up the running game. If this is true, why did AP's numbers decline, when there weren't 8 in the box on every play???

I've only listened to a few talking heads with enough insight to touch on Petersen's troubles down the stretch, but I'm sure we'll be hearing more as the new season approaches.

I think many of us get caught up in not wanting to believe certain things, but I pretty much observe and report. Look at Petersen's per carry average down the stretch - a stat that with Favre's stats, most certainly goes up 100 percent of the time.

I'd also keep any eye on Chester Taylor and what the Vikes decide to do. If they keep him and wind up spending a good chunk of change, then you know something is amiss with Part Time. Right now, we're speculating that he's still a beast or that he's lost a certain something.

So are you saying that they should give Peterson the ball more? The Vikes actually made it that far BECAUSE they gave the ball to Peterson less. Peterson can rush for over 1000 yards, yes we all know that and I think that's lovely but giving him the ball more didn't help the team win more. Favre throwing the ball did, except for the last drive of the NFCCG. Well you know why it didn't win them the game, ahem... read my icon.

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
Haus, i've been meaning to ask you this about Peterson:

Do you think they should re-sign Chester and actually ship out AD? While you could still get a king's ransom for him because he's still perceived as the best in the league? Obviously you think AD is a problem, so would you go that far, or just anger him by diminishing his role?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts