Lets talk about anything EXCEPT Adrian Hubbard. (formerly Adrian Hubbard feels some MM love)

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With all of the ILB talk during the offseason, it's interesting to note that McCarthy specifically called out the minicamp play of Adrian Hubbard:

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/308206341.html
On young players who have stood out... Hubbard has had a heck of a spring. Micah, heck, Micah's old. Three years in. Second-year players, for the most part, in the limited environment have taken a step.

Here is the scouting note that I have in my database from his UDFA signing:
LB Adrian Hubbard, Alabama (6-6, 252)
A junior entrant into the draft who received his degree. Hubbard started 26 of his last 27 collegiate games at “Sam” linebacker for the Crimson Tide with 74 tackles (including 16.5 for a loss) and 10 sacks. He ran a 4.69 time in the 40 with 34½-inch arms and 9¼ hands. He didn’t press, run shuttles or 3-cone drill at the combine because of a deltoid strain. Seen as inconsistent. Described by draft pundit Nolan Nawrocki as having “a quirky personality, inflated opinion of his ability and carries a sense of entitlement that could be difficult to manage and require a patient position coach. … Has upside if the light bulb comes on.”

D

Deleted member 6794

With all of the ILB talk during the offseason, it's interesting to note that McCarthy specifically called out the minicamp play of Adrian Hubbard.

Hubbard lines up as an outside linebacker with the Packers though.

H

HardRightEdge

And he actually played 3-4 OLB at Alabama. What a novel concept.

Perry...contract year. Neal...contract year. Peppers...36 years old at the start of 2016, due $10.5 mil for 2016 with $8 mil in cap savings if released.

It would be nice to have somebody who can play the position besides Matthews and the above mentioned.

Last edited by a moderator:

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
And he actually played 3-4 OLB at Alabama. What a novel concept.

Perry...contract year. Neal...contract year. Peppers...36 years old at the start of 2016, due $10.5 mil for 2016 with $8 mil in cap savings if released.

It would be nice have somebody who can play the position besides Matthews and the above mentioned.
LOL, You can't resist taking your snarky back handed slaps, can you?!?!

H

HardRightEdge

LOL, You can't resist taking your snarky back handed slaps, can you?!?!
The Packers have persisted in running a complex defense while bringing in rookies with little experience at the position they're expected to play.

Snarky? Perhaps, but you should have detected a faint whiff of optimism as regards Mr. Hubbard. I also have some enthusiasm for Messrs. Ryan and Ripkowski, to take two examples, for similar reasons. Backhanded? More like palm forward.

The defense has been substandard, with an annual whack-a-mole exercise at one position or another...OLB then S then D-Line and now ILB and cover corner. You might note a similarity in where the OLB position might be in 2016 to where the cover corner position stands now...a position of relative strength becoming a major question mark.

Perhaps the "more taste, less filling" approach to the defensive scheme will take hold this year in order to accommodate the "forever young" approach. We can only hope. It's long overdue.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was one of the few people who said Hubbard and his wing span would be a great asset in the middle. I see the impact Peppers giant wing span has. Big play ability...

He would be stout against the run too. He may be a liability in coverage though. I dont want to push the issue on a undrafted 2nd year player playing out of position. but im a firm believer that anything is possible. Some guys may fail misserably. Some guys might be good? You dont know til you try.

Without getting stuck on obvious 1 bad part of the possible outcome. and never trying, Give it a try I say. Maybe having another young, hungry, pass rushing, giant of a man up front will pay off? Maybe he is a natural? MAYBE that wingspan front and center will knock 5 balls up in the air that get picked off? Maybe the safetys and nickel will be up and more aggressive in this years scheme, allowing for some help to cover Hubbards back?

You see it more on teams who dont have the talent at every position. they are forced to play the talent they have, and compensate with scheme... We dont need to play Hubbard at ILB. but why not give it a whirl during practice, just in case a couple ILBs go down? It would be nice to know we have a diamond in the rough.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
The Packers have persisted in running a complex defense while bringing in rookies with little experience at the position they're expected to play.

Snarky? Perhaps, but you should have detected a faint whiff of optimism as regards Mr. Hubbard. I also have some enthusiasm for Messrs. Ryan and Ripkowski, to take two examples, for similar reasons. Backhanded? More like palm forward.

The defense has been substandard, with an annual whack-a-mole exercise at one position or another...OLB then S then D-Line and now ILB and cover corner. You might note a similarity in where the OLB position might be in 2016 to where the cover corner position stands now...a position of relative strength becoming a major question mark.

Perhaps the "more taste, less filling" approach to the defensive scheme will take hold this year in order to accommodate the "forever young" approach. We can only hope. It's long overdue.
Every team in the league is going to have positions where there are serious question marks. The league has policies in place to bring everyone back to the middle. You seem to have a difficult time accepting Thompson's roster philosophy and trust in his coaching staff.

Joe Nor Cal Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Every team in the league is going to have positions where there are serious question marks. The league has policies in place to bring everyone back to the middle. You seem to have a difficult time accepting Thompson's roster philosophy and trust in his coaching staff.
True enough. But the net IMHO is that even this O, better than ever in the ARod era, will not win SB 50 without a top 10 D and top 10 STs. Anything else is based on faith and luck, two things I don't believe in.

D

Deleted member 6794

I was one of the few people who said Hubbard and his wing span would be a great asset in the middle. I see the impact Peppers giant wing span has. Big play ability...

We dont need to play Hubbard at ILB. but why not give it a whirl during practice, just in case a couple ILBs go down? It would be nice to know we have a diamond in the rough.

Once again, Hubbard is an outside libebacker and he has spent all offseason playing on the edge. He will not be moved inside.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Call me crazy, but I thought the Packers are a football team, not the Church of Scientology.
Ok. You're crazy.

You'd rather the GM would take a roster approach like Washington, Dallas, St. Louis, Minnesota or San Diego and get rid of coaches every other year like some teams. Got it.

Joe Nor Cal Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ok. You're crazy.

You'd rather the GM would take a roster approach like Washington, Dallas, St. Louis, Minnesota or San Diego and get rid of coaches every other year like some teams. Got it.
I think it's better to let HardRight speak for himself. In support of HardRight, faith, trust, and hope are not strategies - in sports, business, or life. Faith and Hope specifically belong in the realm of religion like Scientology and all the others I personally have no use for. I certainly do trust in TT's philosophy, but I'll wait and see how improved the D and STs are this year. Certainly with TT as GM I'm optimistic that his offseason moves will pay off - and I've said this elsewhere and it seems to give a lot of people gas - even given that this is the best O in the Rodgers era, it will take a top 10 effort from the D and STs to bring home the Lombardi trophy. Well either that or luck, which I also have no use for.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Once again, Hubbard is an outside libebacker and he has spent all offseason playing on the edge. He will not be moved inside.
Good greif. I know he is an outside LB..... Why couldnt he try playing inside. thats my point. you seem pretty confident. Arrogant, in saying it would never happen....

I have the guts to speak outside the box BEFORE it happens....

Seems you guys had the same thing to say when I mentioned Mathews moving to the middle last year around this time...

D

Deleted member 6794

Good greif. I know he is an outside LB..... Why couldnt he try playing inside. thats my point. you seem pretty confident. Arrogant, in saying it would never happen....

I have the guts to speak outside the box BEFORE it happens....

Seems you guys had the same thing to say when I mentioned Mathews moving to the middle last year around this time...

Hubbard isn't quick enough or possesses the change-of-direction ability required of an inside linebacker. The Packers have already moved Matthews, Palmer and Bradford inside, at some point we will need some OLBs as well.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Taking strength of opponents into account, the Packer's defense has only been below league-average two times in Capers' tenure here (as per Football Outsiders).

D

Deleted member 6794

Taking strength of opponents into account, the Packer's defense has only been below league-average two times in Capers' tenure here (as per Football Outsiders).

While that's true the Packers defense had a really terrible season in 2013 finishing 31st and ranked 16th during last season which isn't great either.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Football Outsiders evidently don't watch the playoffs.

2014 the Packers kept both the Cowboys and the Seahawks below their season average in points, 2013 Packers held the only team they played below their season average, 2012 they held the Vikings below the average but the less said about the 49ers game the better, 2011....yeah, that sucked, 2010 they held 3 of 4 teams below their average in the playoffs and 2009 was also terrible defensively.

So, the Packers defense doesn't seem to do as well in the postseason, though in 3 years they did their job and in 3 years they didn't, but you would sort of expect that since the competition is much better in the playoffs.

H

HardRightEdge

2014 the Packers kept both the Cowboys and the Seahawks below their season average in points, 2013 Packers held the only team they played below their season average, 2012 they held the Vikings below the average but the less said about the 49ers game the better, 2011....yeah, that sucked, 2010 they held 3 of 4 teams below their average in the playoffs and 2009 was also terrible defensively.

So, the Packers defense doesn't seem to do as well in the postseason, though in 3 years they did their job and in 3 years they didn't, but you would sort of expect that since the competition is much better in the playoffs.
You can quote all the stats you want regarding the Seattle game and nothing will change the fact Capers brittle defense fell apart again. Saying the defense "did their job" in that game is misguided.

Brittle is probably the wrong word. During earthquakes, the shaking can actually liquify sand. I'm not sure I can sum up that analogy in one word.

Last edited by a moderator:

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hubbard isn't quick enough or possesses the change-of-direction ability required of an inside linebacker. The Packers have already moved Matthews, Palmer and Bradford inside, at some point we will need some OLBs as well.
Before Peppers became a OLB at what? 35 years old? knuckles in the dirt his entire HOF career. It would be easy to point out the obvious in saying he would not be great in coverage, and completely discredit the option before he got a chance... In truth, he was a big play maker. His big plays outweighed the liability of his coverage skills. Our defense may have had to compensate in strategy to get it to work properly. But I would have a hard time finding anyone who says he didnt play well. especially after he settled in.

You see my point? we just dont know until we try.

Hubbard- 4.69 40. 38.5" verticle. 117 broad jump. On a 6'6" 257 pound frame... Seems like he is athletic enough to give it a try. 6'6" 38.5" verticle... standing in the middle knocking balls up in the air. thats what i see.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Developing OLB's like Hubbard and Jayrone Elliott could turn out to be vital for the pack moving forward. Perry is likely gone after this season, and this could well be Julius Pepper's swan song. As focused as everyone is with ILB this season, OLB could be the concern next year.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Developing OLB's like Hubbard and Jayrone Elliott could turn out to be vital for the pack moving forward. Perry is likely gone after this season, and this could well be Julius Pepper's swan song. As focused as everyone is with ILB this season, OLB could be the concern next year.

We have 15 LBs on the roster. Two future HOFers at OLB under contract for 2016. I speculate we will be more than fine for now. 2 drafts and 2 free agency's before it really becomes a potential problem. IMO Guys like Mulumba, and Elliot. Neal is a good contributor. Even if Thompson and Perry dont come to terms, and peppers retires. Mathews is interchangable. I suspect we will be just fine.

Members online

Latest posts