Adam Schefter column

jpigeon

Cheesehead
Reaction score
News Main E-mail

Posted: 13 hours 43 minutes ago
Favre now owns a unique no-trade clause
By Adam Schefter | NFL Network

Will Brett Favre make a dramatic return back to Green Bay? That decision is up to the legendary quarterback.

A rare talent, Packers quarterback Brett Favre now holds a rare distinction.

Without having an official no-trade clause in his contract, Favre has a no-trade clause.

If the Packers agree to trade Favre to any team, the quarterback can veto the deal simply by declining to report. Then Favre's rights would revert back to Green Bay, which would be forced to take him back along with his $12 million base salary -- or release him.

To carry's Favre salary, and all the distractions that came along with it, would be an enormous financial and emotional burden for the Packers. Thus Green Bay would have to commit to keeping Favre or to trade him.

But unless it is a team that appeals to Favre then the Packers quarterback can continue vetoing deals until he has a satisfactory new home.

Basically, if Favre unretires he gets to play where he wants.

Favre's fantasy value
Find out what Michael Fabiano thinks will happen to Brett Favre's value in fantasy football if the legendary QB returns to the NFL but is traded to a different team. Watch video ...

» Favre breaks silence about situation
» Fantasy football blog: Not high on Favre
Neither Favre nor his agent, Bus Cook, has revealed which teams, or team, that would be, though speculation has swirled around Minnesota and Carolina. Yet it is as inconceivable to think Green Bay would trade Favre in its division as it is that it would release him, giving him the same option.

Thus, according to NFL executives, Favre's trade value is well below market value. It is as if he has the same rights accorded a 10-5 player in Major League Baseball, where any player who has spent 10 seasons in the league, including five straight for one team, can veto a deal.

The NFL has no such rule, but Favre now has such powers. There will be no trade of Favre unless he approves it, eliminating the prospect of him playing for any number of teams. Market value in Favre's case is irrelevant because even though he could be on the open market, he never will be, not officially.

Now, if and when Favre sends a letter to the NFL and the Packers asking to be reinstated and he officially unretires, Green Bay will have approximately 24 hours to reinstate him. If and when Favre unretires, the Packers -- who already have said they refuse to release their quarterback -- will have only two viable options.

»They can take back Favre in whatever role they have for him.

Or…

»They can search for a city in which Favre is willing to play and take a substandard deal from that team for their legendary quarterback.

Neither option would appear to be particularly appealing to the Packers, but they are better than the only other alternative, which is to release Favre, giving him the freedom to sign with any of the Packers' three divisional rivals in the NFC North.

These are the only ways this volatile and unpredictable story can play out; any other way is purely fantasy football.

It also helps explain why, in Peter King's Monday Morning Quarterback column on SI.com, one NFL general manager said of Packers general manager Ted Thompson: "Ted's got no choice. If he doesn't take Favre back, he's an idiot."

It is not unlike the case involving Pro Bowl wide receiver Terrell Owens in 2004. Back then, the 49ers agreed to trade Owens to the Baltimore Ravens for a second-round draft pick. But Owens refused to play in Baltimore and negotiated with other teams as if the trade never would go through.

Eventually, he was right. San Francisco was forced to send Owens to Philadelphia for a conditional fifth-round pick and defensive end Brandon Whiting.

Just as San Francisco's return was pennies on the dollar, so too would be Green Bay's in the event it opted to trade Favre.

In fact, the consensus is that Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers, even as unproven as he is, would bring back far more in trade value than Favre. But the Packers have no plans to trade Rodgers, and they will have an exceedingly difficult time trading Favre for anything of value.

So now it is Favre -- not the Packers -- who fully controls where the iconic quarterback spends the upcoming season.

Headlines Favre speaks, ready to consider future without Packers Colts' Manning has procedure on knee to remove infection Fans hold another rally for Favre, but attendance shrinks Titans, Haynesworth running out of time for long-term deal Former Bengals WR Henry has assault charge dropped Redskins, NCAA record-setting rookie QB agree to terms Packers DT Jolly charged with felony drug possession Fired Rooney brother may hold fate of Steelers ownership More Headlines >>

de_real_deal

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Release him TT. You have zero leverage on this deal. Cut your losses and give Favre what he wants before the circus kills your season. Otherwise, this will become the biggest distraction in sports history.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
de_real_deal said:
Release him TT. You have zero leverage on this deal. Cut your losses and give Favre what he wants before the circus kills your season. Otherwise, this will become the biggest distraction in sports history.

He will NOT be released. That's the last thing that will happen. Thompson won't give NFC teams a shot at him. How many times do people have to say this? It's the most illogical of the options.

Actually I think TT has MORE leverage due to Favre's insanity. Favre's no longer the innocent victim. More and more people see him as a bitter ex player, which he's done to himself with this interview.

You shoulda stayed retired, Brett.

de_real_deal

Cheesehead
Reaction score
de_real_deal said:

He will NOT be released. That's the last thing that will happen. Thompson won't give NFC teams a shot at him. How many times do people have to say this? It's the most illogical of the options.

Actually I think TT has MORE leverage due to Favre's insanity. Favre's no longer the innocent victim. More and more people see him as a bitter ex player, which he's done to himself with this interview.

You shoulda stayed retired, Brett.

Uhh, just because YOU keep on saying it does not mean its gonna happen. Either way, Favre will get what he wants. You know that TT will not make Favre a 13 million dollar backup. You know that Favre can veto any joke of a trade that TT has in mind. What options are there? Start Favre or release him. Or, deal with the 3 ring circus that will follow. Training camp, preseason, the season. Every day, every player will be asked about Favre, Favre, Favre. Thats all they will hear. This will be 10 times bigger than any Terell Owens distraction. They must release him or hopefully come to their senses and play him.

Any more questions?

Buckeyepackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Through all the articles, all the he said...they said, all the interviews, all the quotes from "the so-called experts and players"...

Cut through all of this....AND NOTHING HAS CHANGED!!!!!!

Until BF decides he want to stay retired or comes back nothing will change.

When that happens then TT is going to have to decide among his 3 options.
1. Let Brett play
2. Trade him
3. Release him

My only advice to TT(which means absolutely nothing) is you better be sure that AR is your guy.

IMHO the way The Packer organization has handled this, they have given AR absolutely no chance to succeed.

Unless The Packers go better than 13-3 in the regular season and win the Superbowl, many are going to see 2008 as a failure.

Just release BF, then he will do what he wants to do. I don't see what TT is afraid of. The Packers have(in their words moved on)let Brett do the same.

Or...bring Brett,Aaron, MM and himself together and straighten things out.

AR has a better chance of having a longer, more succesfull career with the Packers if Brett Favre plays one more year for The Packers.

There are many more Packer fans who want Brett back than there are that don't. may not seem like it on this forum, but I don't think this forum can be used as a standard.

Bottom line sports these days are about winning championships, time for TT and Brett to bury the hatchet and decide what is the best for The Packers.

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The only viable option is to allow Brett to come back to Green Bay as the starter. Like it or not, that is his only option. Here is the kicker, I don't think Brett will do that now. I think he might have two days ago, but that interview changes everything. Brett will never be viewed the same after his interview with Greta. It was the worst of any choice of moves he could have made. If I were Ted I'd say welcome back dude. NOw you have to play in the new offense and you have to beat out Rogers, but if you can do that we're a better team for it.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
de_real_deal said:
Uhh, just because YOU keep on saying it does not mean its gonna happen. Either way, Favre will get what he wants. You know that TT will not make Favre a 13 million dollar backup. You know that Favre can veto any joke of a trade that TT has in mind. What options are there? Start Favre or release him. Or, deal with the 3 ring circus that will follow. Training camp, preseason, the season. Every day, every player will be asked about Favre, Favre, Favre. Thats all they will hear. This will be 10 times bigger than any Terell Owens distraction. They must release him or hopefully come to their senses and play him.

Any more questions?

I have to agree with you... like I said before the interview last night... Brett painted the Packers brass into a corner... the only thing a trade would bring is a little say from the Packers where... but again, Brett has to agree to play there. Which apparently someplace the Packers don't want to send him... which equals NFCN or just say it, Minnesota. Legit shot at the SB and stick it to Ted and Co along the way, personal on Brett's part. And there is no way in the coldest pits of hell that the Packers trade Favre to the Vikes.

So in the end... it is take him back and succumb to his request to start or release him... Brett holds all the cards, that is unless they decide to carry Brett on the active roster, pay him is salary and never let him play again... which would have the Players Union crashing down on the Packers in a heartbeat... which I predict might happen very soon as a mediator of types.

Ted has a decision to make... and it boils around one question and really one question only.

Are you completely sold on Aaron Rodgers as your QB?

If so... Cut Favre loose; cancel the retirement celebration on opening night because Brett will be on the opposite sideline. And pray that Rodgers can hold up his end without much failure.. each failure will bring more pain to the franchise.

If you have lingering questions about Rodgers, then you bite your pride, sit down with Favre and repair the relationship, and welcome him back as the starter. Then you start to listen to offers for Rodgers in the next 12 months or so... someone overpays, pull the trigger on a deal, if not. Then start to groom Brohm double time... hire him a personal coach for him alone if you have to, because Rodgers is a rental player only.. You can franchise him if you want, but he then will control his fate as well...

Either way... Brett and the Packers have made this a mess... Brett for his indecisiveness and the Packers for making him feel pushed again... perceived or real.

If anyone else has a better option, I am sure that Ted's line at 1265 is open waiting for someone to tell him how to get out of this mess.

I actually feel for the gent, he got dealt a losing hand in which he didn't have a ante on the table.. now he has to play the hand and cover it with his winnings for the last couple of years.. and pray that his bankroll is large enough.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Through all the articles, all the he said...they said, all the interviews, all the quotes from "the so-called experts and players"...

1. Let Brett play
2. Trade him
3. Release him

My only advice to TT(which means absolutely nothing) is you better be sure that AR is your guy.

IMHO the way The Packer organization has handled this, they have given AR absolutely no chance to succeed.

Unless The Packers go better than 13-3 in the regular season and win the Superbowl, many are going to see 2008 as a failure.

Just release BF, then he will do what he wants to do. I don't see what TT is afraid of. The Packers have(in their words moved on)let Brett do the same.

AR has a better chance of having a longer, more succesfull career with the Packers if Brett Favre plays one more year for The Packers.

There are many more Packer fans who want Brett back than there are that don't. may not seem like it on this forum, but I don't think this forum can be used as a standard.

Bottom line sports these days are about winning championships, time for TT and Brett to bury the hatchet and decide what is the best for The Packers.

Well Buckeye, I have to dispute a couple of things here. First, the organization was put between a rock and a hardplace by Brett waiting until June 20th to have his first conversations about coming back and even then it was without a 100% committment by Favre. Unless "I'm thinking about it" which were his words at that time sends chills down your spine.
What is MM and TT supposed to do with "I'm thinking about it."

Secondly, I don't think another year on the bench helps Rodgers in any way, shape, or form. He's only been doing that for three years now. You can stay up all night for years working on an engine but sooner or later you have to put the car on the road and see what it can do.

I can not think of one way ARod sitting on the sidelines can possibly help him anywhere nearly as much as getting on the field would. As far as "making sure Arod is your guy" how the hell you going to do that without putting him on the field?

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Buckeyepackfan said:

1. Let Brett play
2. Trade him
3. Release him

Well Buckeye, I have to dispute a couple of things here. First, the organization was put between a rock and a hardplace by Brett waiting until June 20th to have his first conversations about coming back and even then it was without a 100% committment by Favre. Unless "I'm thinking about it" which were his words at that time sends chills down your spine.

Secondly, I don't think another year on the bench helps Rodgers in any way, shape, or form. He's only been doing that for three years now. You can stay up all night for years working on an engine but sooner or later you have to put the car on the road and see what it can do.

I can not think of one way ARod sitting on the sidelines can possibly help him anywhere nearly as much as getting on the field would. As far as "making sure Arod is your guy" how the hell you going to do that without putting him on the field?
Very true Hawk.
To me, Favre STILL didn't say he is 100% commited to play. So what are the Packers supposed to do?
And the only way they will know if AR is the guy is for him to play.

Pack93z

Reaction score
As far as "making sure Arod is your guy" how the hell you going to do that without putting him on the field?

Even though it is completely unfair, I think that is the primary question in play, which Ted probably has decided upon already.

Are you sold on Rodgers, albeit with little live footage to utilize, as your QB in which you can win with for this year and years to come?

After that is answered, I personally think the choice is clear.

Personally, Favre disappointed me with his refusal to compete for the starting position.. which is the most logical choice available.. but my opinion of the ultimate competitor of the last decade or two has dimished right before my eyes yesterday.. I am glad I watched the Home Run Derby.. hats off to Josh and Justin.

Pack93z

Reaction score
Pack93z said:
I am glad I watched the Home Run Derby.. hats off to Josh and Justin.

Same here. Josh Hamilton's performance was AMAZING.

Even a little more off topic.. my 9 year old son, found a new baseball idol last night.. what a good story to see that kid make it back from the pits of addiction... Some of those bombs were unreal.. add to it a 71 year old pitching to him.. and Milton Bradley took alot of pressure off with a couple of laughs.. it was overall excellent.

Oh back to topic.. Brett's story had the same effect back in the mid 90's.. maybe he should have been watching the derby as well.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IronMan said:
Pack93z said:
I am glad I watched the Home Run Derby.. hats off to Josh and Justin.

Same here. Josh Hamilton's performance was AMAZING.

Even a little more off topic.. my 9 year old son, found a new baseball idol last night.. what a good story to see that kid make it back from the pits of addiction... Some of those bombs were unreal.. add to it a 71 year old pitching to him.. and Milton Bradley took alot of pressure off with a couple of laughs.. it was overall excellent.

Oh back to topic.. Brett's story had the same effect back in the mid 90's.. maybe he should have been watching the derby as well.

I typically hate these cheesey comeback stories and ESPN pushed drama.

but the derby last night was special. At Yankee stadium, coming back from all the drug history... and not only crushing the record but doing it with monsterous home runs was fun to watch. The fans were going balistic everytime he cracked one. and the best part was watching him look up and take it in and kind of sigh like ... "are you kidding me". he did it several times.

the only problem with that is... now Steinbrenner probably wants to buy him.

and did I mention one of his home runs last night allowed me to watch one of NY City's finest strangle a man on live TV. thank you Josh Hamilton thank you.

de_real_deal

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I actually feel for the gent, he got dealt a losing hand in which he didn't have a ante on the table.. now he has to play the hand and cover it with his winnings for the last couple of years.. and pray that his bankroll is large enough.

I guess you're a poker player huh

Buckeyepackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Buckeyepackfan said:

1. Let Brett play
2. Trade him
3. Release him

I'm just trying to cut through all the crap that's been flying around.
What if Brett decides to come back.
What if TT cannot work out a trade.
What if BF ends up sitting on the bench because TT refuses to release him.

How is that going to help AR? He is already going to be under a microscope, it is not going to do any good having BF looking over his shoulder.

Maybe you all missed the point where I said TT should get together with BF, AR and MM and hash this thing out.
Without the damn media ******** things up.(I just added this part)

Let's go back a little farther, what would have happened if BF wuld have committed to another year right after the last game last year?

AR would still be the backup in waiting.

I'm not going to get into a big argument about this, there has been too much of that going on around here.

IMHO Aaron Rogers in no way benefits as the starter if Brett is still around.

I think AR wiill do fine, when given a fair chance, which will never happen with the way thingss are now.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The problem Buck isn't that Arod would have had to sit had Brett made it known he was coming back. The problem is that the Pack got to the point where SOMEBODY had to be named "the guy" and they obviously did that with Rodgers feeling NO WAY Brett would let them hang THAT LONG.

Now the guy that REALLY gets screwed is the guy that did absolutely nothing wrong. ARod.

Now this poor bastard can't be "pretty good", or "decent", or, "getting better", or, "progressing well", he has to go out there and WIN games or his *** is TOAST.

And the only thing Favre has as a response is "pass the jelly."

vikefan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bring the Drama Queen back and name him the starter.......then go through this whole thing again next year. Then give Brett until training camp to decide if he wants to retire or not, like he wanted this year.

After all, Lord Favre is more important than the team, right?

I really had a lot of respect for him...........what a phony.

yooperfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Brett retired, Rodgers is now the starter.
Brett still isn't 100% sure he wants to play again so release him, end the drama and let the chips fall where they may.

Oh and by the way postpone the number retirement thing for a few years or more.

Staff online

Members online