Actually, This Could Work Out Perfectly

Truman

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Aaron Rodgers has spent the last several months playing the role of starting quarterback. He has gotten all the reps with the No. 1 offense during minicamps and OTAs. McCarthy has installed some new tweaks to suit his strengths. And the team has accepted him as a possible number 1. He is much more ready to play now than he ever has been.

Now Favre is back. Assuming Brett takes Ted's challenge and reports to training camp, Brett will win back his starting job (unless he has dropped off big time, in which case releasing him will be a no brainer).

Suddenly, given all the work Rodgers got this past offseason, the Packers will have one of the best quarterback situations in the NFL. If Favre is injured, even modestly, Rodgers is more ready than ever to step in. If Favre starts off a game in one of his crazy moods, or starts pressing during the latter part of a game, or is just having an off day, McCarthy can turn to Rodgers for the rest of that game without as big a fuss. Even if the Packers are way behind or way ahead in a game, McCarthy can now bring in Rodgers to get some experience and to protect Favre from being exposed to injury.

Out of all this goofiness could come a much better team.

DGB454

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You know it's entirely possible Favre won't win in a competition for starting QB. Aaron is smart , athletic and young. He can no doubt out maneuver Brett and his passing ability is suppose to be better than Bretts' according to some of their receivers. Brett does have the experience over Aaron and can read defenses better I'm sure. It will all depend on what the criteria for the competition is. It would be interesting.

If Brett does come back though I think we can say goodbye to Aaron after 2009. I also think we can plan on saying goodbye to Brett again about that same time.

Anubis

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Thompson was true to his word, he would welcome the competition. I have seen him state over and over again that this is a good thing. So why when it comes to the Favre/Rodgers situation, that all changes? Why not publically state that Favre is welcome to come back to GB and compete for the starting job? Do you not think that would appease both his teammates and fans alike?

dd80forever

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Thompson was true to his word, he would welcome the competition. I have seen him state over and over again that this is a good thing. So why when it comes to the Favre/Rodgers situation, that all changes? Why not publically state that Favre is welcome to come back to GB and compete for the starting job? Do you not think that would appease both his teammates and fans alike?

That's good point. Who could have a problem with someone Competing for a job? It's purely Ego-Driven hardball that will result in a less competitive team. That's what bothers me

Raider Pride

Cheesehead
Reaction score

T.T. should have never made that statement. It was his ONE MISTAKE in this whole mess. The bottom line is he was giving Brett an option that he knew Brett woud NOT consider an option.

That was the point he was making. It was a stupid way to say it.

Anubis

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Raider Pride said:
That was the point he was making. It was a stupid way to say it.

He'll look even more daft if Favre does show up for training camp. If you think there is problems at 1265 right now, just wait and see if and when that happens.

cyoung

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think with Brett back, we all know he is going to play (if he sticks around). I think A-Rod should be able to play a lot more he needs to get more reps in and get game expierence. This is most likely Bretts last year which is good becuase A-Rod deserves his chance.

Anubis

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nate, Anubis takes a fair share of insults as well. Just look at EVERY post he makes and scroll down

You may also notice that I don't insult people that add something constructive to this forum, despite as to whether or not I agree with them. By constructive I mean something other than baiting, sockpuppetry, general online doucebaggery, calling anyone who shares my opinion a "retard" or posting idiotic pictures of "the great cleansing" (whatever the hell that is supposed to be).

Seriously, Nate. Open your freaking eyes before posting such one-sided nonsense.

NodakPaul

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Fav-re comes back and competes for.wins the starting job, Rodgers will be in Ted's office demanding a trade.

Not only does this completely undermine all the work Rodgers has done this offseason, but this is also the last year in his contract in which he can earn salary escalators for being the starter. Fav-re coming back will screw him out of both the starting role and millions of dollars.

de_real_deal

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Fav-re comes back and competes for.wins the starting job, Rodgers will be in Ted's office demanding a trade.

Not only does this completely undermine all the work Rodgers has done this offseason, but this is also the last year in his contract in which he can earn salary escalators for being the starter. Fav-re coming back will screw him out of both the starting role and millions of dollars.

Why should I or any of you care how much money A-Rod has made and why should his bank account dictate whether or not we try to win a superbowl with Favre this year instead of letting Rodgers have his growing pains now instead of a year or 2 from now. Thats like saying since Brandon Jackson stands to make alot more money if Ryan Grant sits down. Who cares. Let the best player play. Rodgers has not earned the right to sit Favre. I understand its a tough spot for Rodgers. He was drafted 2 years too soon for the Packers. If its that big of a problem, i dont have too much of an issue with him asking to renegotiate his contract. I think that would be fair considering the situation but you play when you are able to beat out the man in front of you. Not because of escalator clauses in your contract.

By the time rodgers is ready to lead a team to a superbowl (if ever), Harris & Woodson will not be effective. They are the backbone of our defense and we are not a superbowl contender if we dont have dominant corners(at least i dont think we are). I hope TT has a plan to replace them. Will not be an easy task.

Favre can play and the coaches can find a way to get Rodgers playing time during blowouts and late in games. Instead of taking a knee or running the clock out, get Rodgers some reps. He should be able to get a good 150 reps or so this year like that. That and re-do Rodgers contract and i think everyone can be happy. We get the best of both worlds, nobodys feelings are hurt, Favre can finish as a Packer or if he wants to play next year and Rodgers shows great promise like Steve Young did before the 9ers replaced montana with him, then let Favre go. If they dump Favre like a piece of crap, people are going to want Rodgers to fail, they are gonna want TT and MM and the Packers to fail. There will be alot of resentment and it will put too much pressure on Rodgers. I dont see any way for him to succeed unless he's the second coming. If he's just average or even above average, he, along with TT, MM and other mgmt. responsible for this will be run out of town. They will be held to a standard of excellence that nobody can stand up to.

evad04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not there in Green Bay -- I'm not a coach or a scout or even a mastermind of football. But... I'm REASONABLY confident that as of RIGHT NOW Brett Favre is the superior QB. Last season he performed like a top 5 QB (at least a top 7 or top 10, some might even argue top 3).

Rodgers -- whom I have great confidence in to eventually (whether this season or next) be a successful starter for the Green Bay Packers -- can't be AS good as Favre right NOW.

Could Rodgers win the job? Absolutely. But stated simply, is he as good a quarterback right now in his career as Brett Favre? Probably not. Brett's pretty goldarn good.

I hope this could turn into something positive -- something about competition. I hope that it doesn't get ugly. I hope that all sides come to see winning as the most important thing. In any case, I think it'll be REAAAAALLLLLL interesting.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Aaron Rodgers has spent the last several months playing the role of starting quarterback. He has gotten all the reps with the No. 1 offense during minicamps and OTAs. McCarthy has installed some new tweaks to suit his strengths. And the team has accepted him as a possible number 1. He is much more ready to play now than he ever has been.

Now Favre is back. Assuming Brett takes Ted's challenge and reports to training camp, Brett will win back his starting job (unless he has dropped off big time, in which case releasing him will be a no brainer).

Suddenly, given all the work Rodgers got this past offseason, the Packers will have one of the best quarterback situations in the NFL. If Favre is injured, even modestly, Rodgers is more ready than ever to step in. If Favre starts off a game in one of his crazy moods, or starts pressing during the latter part of a game, or is just having an off day, McCarthy can turn to Rodgers for the rest of that game without as big a fuss. Even if the Packers are way behind or way ahead in a game, McCarthy can now bring in Rodgers to get some experience and to protect Favre from being exposed to injury.

Out of all this goofiness could come a much better team.

The problem with this is in the "assumption" Brett would go for this. I would love for Brett Favre to come back with the attitude "I quit, therefore, it's all even" and go in happy to compete for the job.

Won't happen. Why do you think he asked for the release.

Brett Favre is making one of the biggest power playes in the history of sports right here and right now. He quit, quit again, causing the team to have NO DOUBT he wasn't coming back. Then when he did want back he wasn't about to compete for JACK and when that wasn't handed to him he requests his release.

For all the respect and admiration I have for this man I would love to think he would forego the eqo and come back with his hat in his hand here and do the right thing RATHER than use all of the Power his legacy wields to force his way back under his own terms.

It's called HUMILITY. It's not a bad thing. It's a good thing.

But apparantly those are the old days and thats the old Brett Favre.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He can no doubt out maneuver Brett

Sort of.

Aaron can scramble well, something Favre can't really do. However, Favre has a knack for making blitzers miss him, or he simply breaks the first tackle and completes the pass.

de_real_deal

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DGB454 said:

Sort of.

Aaron can scramble well, something Favre can't really do. However, Favre has a knack for making blitzers miss him, or he simply breaks the first tackle and completes the pass.

you be the judge.

Rodgers - 59 career attempts - 9 sacks
Sacked 16% of the time he drops back

Favre 2007 - 15 sacks in 535 attempts
Sacked less than 3 % of the time

Did i miss something?

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
de_real_deal said:
DGB454 said:

Sort of.

you be the judge.

Rodgers - 59 career attempts - 9 sacks
Sacked 16% of the time he drops back

Favre 2007 - 15 sacks in 535 attempts
Sacked less than 3 % of the time

Did i miss something?

Heh. No.

You proved my point.

Favre is hard to sack. In fact, I watched a lot of football since 1976 and Favre may have been the best QB I've ever watched at being hard to sack.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Favre was a master at avoiding the sack but making comparisons with Rodgers at this point is meaningless. I saw most of those sacks and the circumstances of the game situations at the moment.

Brett couldn't have done any better in most of those situations. I remember a couple of times Rodgers came in and nobody blocked nobody in mop up duty.

There's no apples to apples in those numbers boys.

calicheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This isn't Little League. A.Rod hasn't earned anything. TT never said that Brett is going to be the back up. He just said that he's not the starter. This means that Brett has to earn the role as #1. After all TT wants the best for GB. Currently w/o #4 A.Rod is the man. Time for some real competition at the QB level. This should bring out the best for both A.Rod and BF. It's a good thing. This is a big boy league and players want to win with the best players around them. No one will want to sacrafice their success over hurt feelings. All BF is guilty of is bad timing. If A.Rod beats out BF during training camp, then he has earned his role. If this is the case, you think that TT is going to keep a $12million back up on the roster? At this point he'll trade for futire picks, to a team of TT's liking, not Brett's.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts