Actually Glad Aaron Bombed.

Raider Pride

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers 4 for 12 and 32 yards.

I am actually glad the kid bombed. It is a good thing.

He got some experience. He is going to be good one day. The game was out of hand so it did not cost the Packers a game.

But most of all..... If he did go 10 for 12 with 2 td's... I could not stand the people who would have been all over it saying sit Brett.

This team does not need a QB controversey and Brett is the answer right now. The media and many people here would have had a field day if Rodgers palyed well.

RP

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Boy, we are REALLY scraping the bottom of the barrel in looking for positives here. There is some truth to what you say, RP, but I never want to see one of our players play badly, and this is no exception. If Rodgers had played well, whatever QB controversy that resulted would've been entirely media-generated. McCarthy would not have considered benching Favre as long as his level of play remained high, as it has been for the most part this year.

agopackgo4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Raider Pride said:

He got some experience. He is going to be good one day. The game was out of hand so it did not cost the Packers a game.

But most of all..... If he did go 10 for 12 with 2 td's... I could not stand the people who would have been all over it saying sit Brett.

This team does not need a QB controversey and Brett is the answer right now. The media and many people here would have had a field day if Rodgers palyed well.

RP

Nearly the EXACT same words i spoke to my dad when rodgers came in.

PackFaninBucLand

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wish A.R. would have gone in and tore it up getting the Pack back in the mix and adding new life to a horrible offensive display - much the same as Brett did when Majik went down.

I wish we could have hung our hat on him and had a glimpse of a promising future when Brett is ready to ride off. Unfortunately, that did not happen and I still do not see much to hope for in A.R.

Hopefully down the road we can find a true gem in a later round like another future HOF, Tom Brady.

Heatherthepackgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Raider Pride said:

RP

Great post!!!

mikegrubiak

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Now maybe some of you will realize how lucky we are to have Favre still playing..

With Aaron Rodgers in there, the Pack could easily be 0-10.

Favre is the main reason why the Packers are even close to .500.

PS. I hope the Patriots get smacked around the rest of the season and lose in the first round of the playoffs. Brady and Bellicheck are a couple of sore losers, and *****es when they lose. They whine like *******.

I can't stand those ****'s...

Tiger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just goes to show that despite what we heard in preseason A-Rod is not NFL competent yet.

rabidgopher04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just goes to show that despite what we heard in preseason A-Rod is not NFL competent yet.

Yes, because Brett Favre was doing amazing against the New England defense too. You know, throwing passes too short was really meant to fool the Patriots. :roll:

Seriously...no QB that the Pack could have put in would have done good. This is no serious indicator of Aaron Rodgers ability. If you want to measure it that way then it's only right we say Aaron Rodgers is as good as Brett Favre. Their stats were nearly the same proportionately.

Goodness...judge a guy's ability on one game. :roll:

mikegrubiak

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Get real.

The Jets beat the Patriots at home. Favre's injury (groin) was probably affecting his game more than anyone knew.....

You don't go from having 300 yard games with this team to matching a rookie in stats without there being some other problem, imo.

You can't possibly be saying that Rodgers is as good as Favre now, can you, Rabidgopher?

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it's a total shame that Rodgers is going to be hated because he has to follow a legend. I think it's a shame that people will root against him until Favre retires.

Rodgers isn't as good as Favre but he's the future of this team. He's the future QB. Every time he gets a chance he should make the most of it and the fans should root for Aaron Rodgers because he’s a Green Bay Packer. They shouldn’t root against him because of the man he has to follow is so beloved.

Today Rodgers played awful but so did Brett Favre. The two didn’t look much different today. Favre has played injured throughout his entire career. A groin injury that was said to of been not serious is no excuse for his struggles today. He just had a bad game. It happens but what is great about Favre he has a short memory. He’ll move on fast.

I think the statement that whoever was playing QB for the Packers would've struggled is pretty accurate. The Patriots had a well thought out game plan. They came after us and executed it.

LambeauLeaper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This entire thread is a perfect example of how emotions sway based on one week. You are GLAD that Aaron bombed?? What?? And the fact that most people responded with praise to this sentiment makes my stomach hurt. Anyone who feels this way is simply not objective. I love Brett Favre, I really do, but it doesn't mean I have to root against his replacement because "people might talk". Every Packer board I frequent complains about the media bashing Favre and the Packers, but all of a sudden we're worried about what they might say if we had 2 good quarterbacks!?! Get real, people, I would be absolutely ECSTATIC if we knew we had a capable backup in Rodgers! And there are people out there that prefer he perform poorly..unbelievable.

scotty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I came into this thread expecting to agree with it, but with some reflection, I really think such thoughts are misguided and misplaced. I wish Rodgers had blown the doors off - or, if that wasn't happening, just squeaked out a win, keeping us in the playoff hunt.

I love Brett Favre. He's a big reason I ever became a Packers fan (I'm from Texas, hello). But my goodness, what if he really does get hurt? What if he decides to retire? How great would it have been to see some spark, and some confidence, in Rodgers and know we have two great QBs ready to help this team succeed.

Instead, I still have the same doubts about Rodgers that I had when we drafted him. BUT - and this is a big but - I'm going to resist judging him on today's game. Maybe Favre's groin was bothering him. Maybe his ankle was bothering him. Maybe this, maybe that, fact was, he didn't do SQUAT against the Patriots secondary. And neither did Rodgers. So what does that mean? Not much, really. Either judge them both, or just move on to next week. I'll move on.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I came into this thread expecting to agree with it, but with some reflection, I really think such thoughts are misguided and misplaced. I wish Rodgers had blown the doors off - or, if that wasn't happening, just squeaked out a win, keeping us in the playoff hunt.

I love Brett Favre. He's a big reason I ever became a Packers fan (I'm from Texas, hello). But my goodness, what if he really does get hurt? What if he decides to retire? How great would it have been to see some spark, and some confidence, in Rodgers and know we have two great QBs ready to help this team succeed.

Instead, I still have the same doubts about Rodgers that I had when we drafted him. BUT - and this is a big but - I'm going to resist judging him on today's game. Maybe Favre's groin was bothering him. Maybe his ankle was bothering him. Maybe this, maybe that, fact was, he didn't do SQUAT against the Patriots secondary. And neither did Rodgers. So what does that mean? Not much, really. Either judge them both, or just move on to next week. I'll move on.

:cheerleader: :thumbsup:

Philtration

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it's a total shame that Rodgers is going to be hated because he has to follow a legend. I think it's a shame that people will root against him until Favre retires.

I don't understand that way of thinking at all.
Bears fans did not hate Neil Anderson for replacing Walter Payton.
Bulls fans did not hate Elton Brand for replacing Michael Jordan.
The Packers are not the first and only team to have their own legend retire and a lot of them are not doing a real good job of accepting the inevitable.

No one here would have hated Brian Urlacher if he did not turn out to be the next **** Butkus or Mike Singletary.
I doubt that Colts fans hate Peyton Manning because he plays the same position once held by Johnny Unitas.
Did Cowboy fans root against Emmett Smith because they loved Tony Dorsett?
It seems that there are some Packer fans who believe that the team should just close up shop once Favre is gone and that is weird at best.

dxbfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Whichever way you cut it, Favre still gives this team its best chance to win. The problem is we dont know how much longer he's going to be around. And untill A-Rod gets some playing time we're not going to know if he's capable of QBing this team in the future.

A-Rod still needs work and untill he gets that work he isnt going to get better.

Lets be glad things went the way they did yesterday - we didnt have to watch Favre suffering the ignominy of being pulled because he was having a bad day. While injury took care of that it wasnt as serious as it might have been.

4packgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:
Boy, we are REALLY scraping the bottom of the barrel in looking for positives here. There is some truth to what you say, RP, but I never want to see one of our players play badly, and this is no exception. If Rodgers had played well, whatever QB controversy that resulted would've been entirely media-generated. McCarthy would not have considered benching Favre as long as his level of play remained high, as it has been for the most part this year.

i agree with you 100% on this greg. this is about the PACKERS team - i can tell you right now, brett would want rodgers to play well - he'd have been high fiving him like crazy if he'd have thrown a td pass. no way does brett want rodgers to stink it up & neither should we.

mikegrubiak

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think Packer fans here want Rodgers to "stink it up", as you put it.

More that they're getting tired of people wanting Favre to "stink it up", or saying that he's "stinking it up", "washed up", etc. and to put Rodgers in.

If those people would just shut up, everything would be fine.

4packgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i know what you're saying mike & while i agree that the majority of people on here don't want rodgers to play BADLY - they also don't want him to play TOO good & risk favre being benched.

it'd be nice to have it all guys but only one qb can be on the field. i still say that favre is our best choice - he had a bad day yesterday for whatever reason but he'll be fine & back in form by next week.

Timmons

Cheesehead
Reaction score
After Brett leaves, Packer fans will be on the rebound. However you handle your rebounds is how you'll treat the next QB.

Cal2GreenBay

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Troy Aikman was booed in his first year in Dalls as he went 2-14.
He then turned it around and went to the playoffs.

Brett is playing well and gives us the best chance to win.
The BALANCING ACT is trying to keep Brett in there to win, and giving time for Aaron to take his licks and get stronger for the next run.

Example. Alex Smith in San Francisco too a lot of licks in San Francisco's 3-13 season last year. Lots of fans wanted him out too...

The fact is, losing brings some raw emotions out of people, not exactly logical at that.

All I am saying (not speaking for others)..is that if Brett is in..he's in...that's great. But if he's out for some time, it may be good for Aaron to get a LOT of experience this year...and then he can then make that same turnaround that Alex Smith did this year.

BUT if the packers WAIT..till next year if/when Brett retires, then that stunts Aaron's growth until next year.

My personal opinion is that pro QB's can learn in a year sitting on the sidelines. Anymore than that..you are wasting their talent for that extra year or two.

Steve Young wasted his late 20s waiting behind Joe Montana in San Francisco. Imagine what kind of records Steve Young could've added to his resume if he were to be the starting QB in San Francisco instead of sitting 3 plus years.?

Now back to the Montana/Young analogy.

People HATED Steve Young replacing Joe Montana WAY MORE than people on here hate Aaron Rodgers replacing Brett Favre.

Being from San Francisco, that QB transitition took some time, and divided the locker room, the organization, and the city.

Steve Young couldn't do ANYTHING right in the eyes of the 49ers fans. If he threw one incompletion..it was PULL STEVE OUT...Bring in our third stringer!

So I've been through that sentiment and understand it.

I'm just seeing the same cycle happen w/the Packer faithful now..and it's new to the Packer fans watching the HOF QB transition right now.

NOW for the record..I am NOT comparing Aaron Rodgers to Steve YOung. But at the same time, NO ONE KNEW how good STeve YOung was either.
When he first got to play when Joe Montana got injured..Steve was not an accurate passer and had happy feet....and ran too much..a LOT LIKE..MICHAEL VICK.

The thing is..Steve reinvented himself into a pocker passer and then became a HOF QB.

Aaron Rodgers needs time and a fair shot. Judging him in a lopsided game vs the New England Patriots..who's stout defense troubles every QB not named Peyton Manning..is not a fair indicator.

As many people said...Brett/Aaron's stats in the game were not that different.

Let's just hope BOTH GUYS do not have serious injuries and can make it back really soon..

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
porky88 said:

I don't understand that way of thinking at all.
Bears fans did not hate Neil Anderson for replacing Walter Payton.
Bulls fans did not hate Elton Brand for replacing Michael Jordan.
The Packers are not the first and only team to have their own legend retire and a lot of them are not doing a real good job of accepting the inevitable.

No one here would have hated Brian Urlacher if he did not turn out to be the next **** Butkus or Mike Singletary.
I doubt that Colts fans hate Peyton Manning because he plays the same position once held by Johnny Unitas.
Did Cowboy fans root against Emmett Smith because they loved Tony Dorsett?
It seems that there are some Packer fans who believe that the team should just close up shop once Favre is gone and that is weird at best.

Some people seem to put Brett Favre 1st and Green Bay Packers 2nd.

Members online

Latest posts