Actual Signed Roster For 2022

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
We should not have to spend a Day 2 draft selection (Amari) on a Punt Returner unless that guy is one of the top returners in the league in the mold of a Devin Hester.

I'm not sure about the Coaches view on the outlook with Amari, but PR are a dime a dozen
Sadly, I think this is a bad indication of where Amari is:

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Amari cannot at minimum provide the jet sweep option for MLF system I'd rather see them trade him away for a 7th rounder...change of scenery potential for him and we cut ties before too long.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
If Amari cannot at minimum provide the jet sweep option for MLF system I'd rather see them trade him away for a 7th rounder...change of scenery potential for him and we cut ties before too long.
After hearing Rodgers comment, I don't think that time is really too far away. Might be kind of like Montgomery, one mistake could put him on the out list. Just to be clear, Ty Montgomery gave the Packers a lot more than Amari has to this point.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
After hearing Rodgers comment, I don't think that time is really too far away. Might be kind of like Montgomery, one mistake could put him on the out list. Just to be clear, Ty Montgomery gave the Packers a lot more than Amari has to this point.

Yup agreed. We need a jet sweep man, and if he cannot provide even that get him out of here. I don't see Doubs or Toure doing any worse with PR duties than him...or elevate Goodson (RB) up...he is another I was actually wondering if they practiced any jet sweep role with in practice.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Yup agreed. We need a jet sweep man, and if he cannot provide even that get him out of here. I don't see Doubs or Toure doing any worse with PR duties than him...or elevate Goodson (RB) up...he is another I was actually wondering if they practiced any jet sweep role with in practice.
Agreed. I really thought maybe Amari just needed a year or 2 to develop, but Rodgers comment really struck me as one of no confidence in him as a receiver. Even if MLF wants to use Amari for Jet sweeps, the cat is kind of out of the bag that even Rodgers has given up on him as a WR. Defenses may be able to as well.

Let's hope Aaron was just using reverse logic to lull his competition into thinking Amari is no threat and he really is.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed. I really thought maybe Amari just needed a year or 2 to develop, but Rodgers comment really struck me as one of no confidence in him as a receiver. Even if MLF wants to use Amari for Jet sweeps, the cat is kind of out of the bag that even Rodgers has given up on him as a WR. Defenses may be able to as well.

Let's hope Aaron was just using reverse logic to lull his competition into thinking Amari is no threat and he really is.

What is nuts is I felt like he did well in preseason.....connected on passes, ran better routes, even a few high point "jump balls" if I remember right. Perhaps him and Jordan have meshed better than Aaron....

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
On the jet sweep.... I kind of like Watson in that role because he's also a good deep man. Not knowing where he's going to line up, or end up with motion, can be a defense disruption.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
On the jet sweep.... I kind of like Watson in that role because he's also a good deep man. Not knowing where he's going to line up, or end up with motion, can be a defense disruption.
the fact that he got that call in really his first action since college and missing a good amount of camp over the guy drafted last year to be that guy kind of tells me the staff and the QB think A. Rodgers has a long long ways to go.

and I do like him in that role more as well. Much more big play potential

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
What is nuts is I felt like he did well in preseason.....connected on passes, ran better routes, even a few high point "jump balls" if I remember right. Perhaps him and Jordan have meshed better than Aaron....
I think we both know the dangers of relying on preseason to determine how far along a player is. While I think preseason helps players to improve and gives coaches some film to teach them how to improve, we have seen way too many preseason hero's fail in the regular season.

Your last sentence is the key here, he might have meshed well with Love. I would also add, against defensive players that may no longer even be in the NFL. Again, I hope Rodgers was saying what he said about Amari, in somewhat of a deceptive way, buy I doubt he was.

Magooch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Does make you wonder if Amari's days are numbered. Rodgers seems to be pretty fond of Winfree and I'd expect that perhaps Kylin Hill would get put back on return duties when he's fit again? I had some high hopes but at the moment he's what, 7th or 8th in line at WR (at best)?

Unless he turns into a real weapon on returns or gadget plays or something it's just hard to see much value in keeping him around much longer, I guess.

Reaction score
The Packers have proven over the past few years that punt returners aren't a dime a dozen :eek:
I was talking PR in general that are what we’ve seen on the Packers.
I think maybe you are discussing“Good“ Punt Returners overall? That I would agree with.
Unfortunately we we’ve seen dime a dozen types for a decade or more in GB.

I was actually disheartened we let Begelton last year. He had experience and he had really good hands and was ascending in practice and PS at PR.
Hopefully Amari will bring on the jets. He’s been sorta underwhelming overall. But it probably takes a year or two to get going at PR

Last edited:

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PR are a dime a dozen and in particular the Packers PR’s have been the definition of that. I think you are discussing “Good Punt Returners” are rare in relation to the overall supply at PR. That I would agree with.
I think that if we gave it a bit more thought; we could find a good one on the team. Not at all saying they are dime a dozen or not important.

Reaction score
I think that if we gave it a bit more thought; we could find a good one on the team. Not at all saying they are dime a dozen or not important.

I thought they might give Toure a shot there. He was used more at Gunner for the Cornhuskers, but also played KR at Montana. He has a good amount of ST experience. He also runs a 6.77 3-cone (3rd) 4.22 short shuttle (4th), so his lateral ability is superior to many guys.
(Note: I believe those were pro-day in comparison to Combine results but nevertheless, he’s got superior lateral quickness). If he gets in the open field he’s not exactly slow with a 4.48 40-time

Last edited:

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I believe Toure had a couple returns during preseason? Maybe he didn't show the mental acuity to do the job?

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Would he make it to the PS based on what he's shown the league?

Amari for sure was well enough thought of when he was in the draft to not make it past waivers IMO. Far Far worse players we've seen get claimed or even traded for 7th rounders. I'd rather us get a 7th than waive him personally if we are not going to utilize him.

D

Deleted member 6794

Sadly, I think this is a bad indication of where Amari is:

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

That should work as another evidence that fans shouldn't much if any stock into reports of players excelling during the offseason.

Would he make it to the PS based on what he's shown the league?

I believe he would.

I was talking PR in general that are what we’ve seen on the Packers.
I think maybe you are discussing“Good“ Punt Returners overall? That I would agree with.
Unfortunately we we’ve seen dime a dozen types for a decade or more in GB.

I was actually disheartened we let Begelton last year. He had experience and he had really good hands and was ascending in practice and PS at PR.
Hopefully Amari will bring on the jets. He’s been sorta underwhelming overall. But it probably takes a year or two to get going at PR

I was obviously talking about good punt returners. In my opinion Begelton wasn't fast enough to excel in that role.

I thought they might give Toure a shot there. He was used more at Gunner for the Cornhuskers, but also played KR at Montana. He has a good amount of ST experience. He also runs a 6.77 3-cone (3rd) 4.22 short shuttle (4th), so his lateral ability is superior to many guys.

Toure hardly returned kickoffs or punts in college. He only had seven attempts at KR back in 2017 with Montana and two as a PR last year at Nebraska.

I believe Toure had a couple returns during preseason? Maybe he didn't show the mental acuity to do the job?

Toure didn't have any returns during the preseason.

Amari for sure was well enough thought of when he was in the draft to not make it past waivers IMO. Far Far worse players we've seen get claimed or even traded for 7th rounders. I'd rather us get a 7th than waive him personally if we are not going to utilize him.

I highly doubt another team would be interested in claiming Amari.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I highly doubt another team would be interested in claiming Amari.

I disagree given his age and traits, just hasn’t fleshed out well here. I’d actually say I’m more confident in him getting claimed then I am even the time I predicted Adams was going to be traded.

D

Deleted member 6794

I disagree given his age and traits, just hasn’t fleshed out well here. I’d actually say I’m more confident in him getting claimed then I am even the time I predicted Adams was going to be traded.

We might be able to find out who's right about it before long ;)

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well unfortunately he (Amari) did not do a lot to instill confidence in his returning abilities last night, either.... :/
He certainly didn't. I would not be surprised to see Toure activated this week if he can or to see someone else back there returning kicks.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I personally think Doubs would be getting return duties IF he wasn't being asked to actually be a #3/#4 WR type in games.

Reaction score
I personally think Doubs would be getting return duties IF he wasn't being asked to actually be a #3/#4 WR type in games.
I similarly agree.

With all the WR dinged up there’s 00.99% chance Doubs sees Returns imo. Not saying he wouldn’t be good, but he has 0 experience and this is not the time to be experimenting with a green pea in the return game. The only condition I would even consider that type move would be if Amari was injured and Watson wasn’t fully healthy (on injury report this week).

Imo Doubs is the more game ready WR right now (than Watson) earlier in the season. I think that could change over the course of 17 games though, but putting a green pea with zero known Return experience is a big gamble. Watson has near 700 yards of KR experience, but I doubt they use him there with his minor injury status and shortage at WR. Now if both were healthy? But many of these injuries popping up after this topic got going nearly completely erases either player at Returner.m (at least for now).

Another point. I’m pretty sure they know Watson could excel at KR. Please don’t someone assert that he can’t beat Amari Rodgers pedestrian KR average. It doesn’t have anything to do with him not pulling that average up 5 + yards. It has to do with risk, #53 and #59 is a lot to invest and then see 1 injury erase it.

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts