Actual Signed Roster For 2022

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As much as I would love to have Deebo, he is going to want a ton of money, on a new contract.

If for some reason he refuses to report or play out the final year of his rookie deal, another strike against football for me.

The days of contracts meaning something is slowly going out the window.
Anybody who we are expecting to come in and immediately replace Adams is going to want a ton of money on a new contract and its going to cost a lot of draft capital to get them. We do know that Gute is not opposed to the ton of money part since he did apparently offer Adams to match the Raiders deal. The question is will he be willing to part with the picks. For the right player I'm sure he would.

Since it's a player I never thought would be available I'm going to say Justin Jefferson and if its not him I'm going to say Davante Adams. I'd NEVER expect him to be available.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
We do know that Gute is not opposed to the ton of money part since he did apparently offer Adams to match the Raiders deal.
Honestly, I am the one that is opposed to a ton of money for a WR. At least if it was paid to Davante, we knew exactly what we had and the chemistry between him and Rodgers was 2000% solid. I still was happy they traded him, got what they did and aren't strapped to that contract.

Talking about bringing a guy like Deebo or Metcalf in and paying them like Davante, Hill and Hopkins, before you know how well they will fit in? No thanks. Not to even mention the draft capital of obtaining one of them. I would take my chances with a cheap FA vet on a 1 year and draft 2-3 rookie WR's.

The Packers are so over the top cap leveraged with a handful of players and Jaire, as well as Gary might be added to that, we don't need another one.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Honestly, I am the one that is opposed to a ton of money for a WR. At least if it was paid to Davante, we knew exactly what we had and the chemistry between him and Rodgers was 2000% solid. I still was happy they traded him, got what they did and aren't strapped to that contract.

Talking about bringing a guy like Deebo or Metcalf in and paying them like Davante, Hill and Hopkins, before you know how well they will fit in? No thanks. Not to even mention the draft capital of obtaining one of them. I would take my chances with a cheap FA vet on a 1 year and draft 2-3 rookie WR's.

The Packers are so over the top cap leveraged with a handful of players and Jaire, as well as Gary might be added to that, we don't need another one.

I agree 100%. Its kind of like the whole situation with Kahlil Mack a few years ago. Not only will getting one of the young stud WRs cost you in draft capital it will also cost you in the wallet.

I could have been OK with paying Adams because, like you said, we knew what we had but I'm not really sad he's gone for the money it would have cost. Add to that the draft capital we got makes it a good move IMO.

Now if we have to give up that draft capital and have to come up with close to Adams money I'm not sure what you gained other than youth and is that really in worth it?

I would consider it for a few guys but I highly doubt their teams would be too interested in trading them.

If you are talking about even younger guys who have looked very good so far I find it interesting how many people think teams who are rebuilding would be willing to trade away the exact types of players that rebuilding teams are looking. That being very talented and cheap

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Reaction score
LOL @ "Plus my Christmas party $$."

I think the compensatory pick is good enough. Since a team is rewarded based on how big of a contract the player they lost signed. Loose a star player, get a 3rd round pick. Davante gave a lot to the Packers during his time in Green Bay, in exchange for the 2nd round pick and salaries. I don't feel cheated at all. Matter of fact, the Packers got a first and a second rounder by trading him, that is a nice reward. Not to mention not having to shell out $28M/year.
Oh I agree with that last part.
Although I don’t really feel cheated (except on my Christmas party)
Truthfully? I was actually happy when I learned we didn’t overpay. We had no business topping that with a $29m offer (less our miniscule replacement cost) and also losing #22 and #53 in the draft. Even a very good Davante can’t give us a return on all that kinda investment. He’s 1 player and as I said he’d better increase from 2021 production. I’d rather have fun watching #22,#53 and the remaining ~$25,000,000 per season to spend. I’m not being sarcastic for once either !

Last edited:
Reaction score
Turns out, he wants to be the highest paid non-QB in the NFL.

No thanks.

This Davante contract precedent will keep getting stupider and stupider. It’s all about the $$ and that’s not how this sport used to operate. Discouraging and thankless is the 2 words come to mind.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

Turns out, he wants to be the highest paid non-QB in the NFL.

No thanks.

I definitely don't want the Packers to be the team to offer Samuel that kind of money. Sadly there will be at least one team out there stupid enough to do it though.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I definitely don't want the Packers to be the team to offer Samuel that kind of money. Sadly there will be at least one team out there stupid enough to do it though.
Not sad at all for opposing teams to do stupid things involving personnel decisions. I highly encourage them to continue. :)

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I think for 2 first rounders, and a second, plus a 3 year, $30M+ per year contract, Samuel will look great on the Vikings or Bears.

I understand valuing a QB at 3-10 times more than other starters, but sorry, this WR thing has gotten way out of line. I will take 3 $10M/year WR's over Deebo.

D

Deleted member 6794

Not sad at all for opposing teams to do stupid things involving personnel decisions. I highly encourage them to continue. :)

The problem being that it results in receivers around the league asking for more money making it tougher for the Packers to improve the position as well.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
The problem being that it results in receivers around the league asking for more money making it tougher for the Packers to improve the position as well.
The good news, the cap is the same for all teams. Look at the Bears and Khalil Mack. They gave up a ton of draft assets and made Mack the highest paid Defensive player in the NFL at the time. Didn't make them a better team on the whole. The Packers still signed 2 decent FA OLB's (Smiths) and drafted a budding star in Gary. So they used a first rounder and a bit more money, but ended up with 3 OLB's. Mack individually is a better player than all of them, but for what it cost both teams, I will take the Smith Brothers and Gary any day.

Even with the Cap predicted to go way up with the new TV deal, teams still need to be smart on over spending draft assets and cap on one player. The Packers obtained a first and a second round pick for Adams, but more importantly saved themselves over $28M/year. I will miss Davante, but as long as Gute invests those 2 picks and money into the position, I think the Packers were better off moving on.

D

Deleted member 6794

The good news, the cap is the same for all teams. Look at the Bears and Khalil Mack. They gave up a ton of draft assets and made Mack the highest paid Defensive player in the NFL at the time. Didn't make them a better team on the whole. The Packers still signed 2 decent FA OLB's (Smiths) and drafted a budding star in Gary. So they used a first rounder and a bit more money, but ended up with 3 OLB's. Mack individually is a better player than all of them, but for what it cost both teams, I will take the Smith Brothers and Gary any day.

Even with the Cap predicted to go way up with the new TV deal, teams still need to be smart on over spending draft assets and cap on one player. The Packers obtained a first and a second round pick for Adams, but more importantly saved themselves over $28M/year. I will miss Davante, but as long as Gute invests those 2 picks and money into the position, I think the Packers were better off moving on.

I prefer having multiple players being able to contribute at every other position aside of quarterback as well but with teams driving up the prices for elite players it makes it tougher for the Packers to either hold on to their own or sign free agents as well. Especially as there seem to be several teams with a ton of cap space every single offseason.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I prefer having multiple players being able to contribute at every other position aside of quarterback as well but with teams driving up the prices for elite players it makes it tougher for the Packers to either hold on to their own or sign free agents as well. Especially as there seem to be several teams with a ton of cap space every single offseason.
Agreed. I think eventually it kind of balances out, after the initial storm hits. We saw this happen with CB's, QB's, OLB's and to some extent LT's. One guy gets a massive payday and suddenly a bunch of the top players at that position feel they are being underpaid. The smart teams are going to avoid over paying too many of these guys and try to build a more complete team. If they don't, the cap will eventually force them to. I predict we see a lot of teams, probably the Packers included, go from being the best in the NFL, to being near the bottom and stuck in rebuild, due to overpaying too many guys.

D

Deleted member 6794

Agreed. I think eventually it kind of balances out, after the initial storm hits. We saw this happen with CB's, QB's, OLB's and to some extent LT's. One guy gets a massive payday and suddenly a bunch of the top players at that position feel they are being underpaid. The smart teams are going to avoid over paying too many of these guys and try to build a more complete team. If they don't, the cap will eventually force them to. I predict we see a lot of teams, probably the Packers included, go from being the best in the NFL, to being near the bottom and stuck in rebuild, due to overpaying too many guys.

This offseason it happened with wide receivers as well. While I expect the Packers to end up near the bottom of the league while rebuilding once Rodgers isn't the starter anymore that can be turned out in a single year if done smartly.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Per Domovsky:

These Packers signed their exclusive rights free agent tenders, which likely means they were in attendance for the start of the offseason program:
Krys Barnes
Dominique Dafney
Jake Hanson
Yosh Nijman
Randy Ramsey
Malik Taylor

Allen Lazard has not yet signed his RFA deal.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think he has until 4/22 to do so. Imagine if he doesn't or another team throws a bigger offer at him. Would the Packers take another second rounder or match it?

Yes I believe they might, but I also ultimately think he/his agent is trying to convince Green Bay or a two or three year deal longer term than just the one and he most likely being gone.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If someone threw decent money at Lazard, and we'd get a 2nd round pick, I'd tip a few to celebrate. If you can get the 5th player out of the top 64 taken, you're in tall clover. You can sign a free agent to fill the gap replacing him, and get some additional gains past 2022, when we're going to start needing fresher contracts to offset the huge hit we're going to take with existing contracts, and the cuts that will be made to clear some breathing room.

I wouldn't be in the slightest opposed, with 3 2nd rounders, to bundle a 1st and 2nd to move up into the top 15, so the Packers could snag someone who can be instant impact on the field. Position? I'd hope it would be a WR, but would settle for a can't miss D lineman, or O lineman, who can instantly give the team a lift.

All conjecture of course.

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score
I don't want the Packers to break the bank on a WR. I'm hopeful they take one in the draft. I'd prefer not even in the first round though. There will be some for the taking later. I'm a pass on Samuel.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I don't want the Packers to break the bank on a WR. I'm hopeful they take one in the draft. I'd prefer not even in the first round though. There will be some for the taking later. I'm a pass on Samuel.
The Packers have neglected the WR position long enough. If you expect a 2nd rounder or later to contribute this season, you are probably going to be disappointed. I don't even expect a whole lot from a first rounder until maybe year 2 or 3. Next season the top 3 WR's will all be free agents, which will put the Packers in an even worse situation than they find themselves in now.

Magooch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers have neglected the WR position long enough. If you expect a 2nd rounder or later to contribute this season, you are probably going to be disappointed. I don't even expect a whole lot from a first rounder until maybe year 2 or 3. Next season the top 3 WR's will all be free agents, which will put the Packers in an even worse situation than they find themselves in now.
Yep, this here. If people were worried about our confirmed/signed WR room heading into this season thus far, wait until they see what next year's is shaping up to look like at this moment...

Obviously we need help now, but I don't think too many people are so short-sighted as to demand we draft a first-round WR (or two...or multiple pass-catchers in the first few rounds...or etc) solely because we need it this season. There's only so much cap-magic that can be done...If we don't address the problem this year I'm not sure exactly how much can realistically be done next year through free agency/trades to address the matter then.

By my count...
Cobb is in his last year, no? (IIRC 2023 is a void year)
Lazard is in his last year barring a long-term deal
Watkins only signed a one-year deal
I think Gafford and Blair are both on futures contracts, maybe?
Then Winfree and Taylor are both RFAs next season...
So at least we have Amari locked up for a while yet, lol

And then at TE:
Lewis is in his final year
Tonyan's on a one year deal
I think Mack is also on a futures deal
I believe Davis and Dafney are both RFAs next year
And we have Deguara for a while yet

So...yeah. Even if we trade for a vet WR or something this offseason, or add one in free agency next offseason, IMO we're going to need to be fairly aggressive in addressing the pass-catching roles in the upcoming draft, both for this year and next year's sake.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Yep, this here. If people were worried about our confirmed/signed WR room heading into this season thus far, wait until they see what next year's is shaping up to look like at this moment...

Obviously we need help now, but I don't think too many people are so short-sighted as to demand we draft a first-round WR (or two...or multiple pass-catchers in the first few rounds...or etc) solely because we need it this season. There's only so much cap-magic that can be done...If we don't address the problem this year I'm not sure exactly how much can realistically be done next year through free agency/trades to address the matter then.

By my count...
Cobb is in his last year, no? (IIRC 2023 is a void year)
Lazard is in his last year barring a long-term deal
Watkins only signed a one-year deal
I think Gafford and Blair are both on futures contracts, maybe?
Then Winfree and Taylor are both RFAs next season...
So at least we have Amari locked up for a while yet, lol

And then at TE:
Lewis is in his final year
Tonyan's on a one year deal
I think Mack is also on a futures deal
I believe Davis and Dafney are both RFAs next year
And we have Deguara for a while yet

So...yeah. Even if we trade for a vet WR or something this offseason, or add one in free agency next offseason, IMO we're going to need to be fairly aggressive in addressing the pass-catching roles in the upcoming draft, both for this year and next year's sake.
Yup and add to it the fact that WR contracts sky rocketed this off season. That will influence the FA market next year and probably push it even higher. IMO, all of this will drive an increase of the demand on WR's in this year's draft. I wouldn't be shocked to see 12 taken in the first 2 rounds, that would be close to 19% of the picks being WR's.

D

Deleted member 6794

You can sign a free agent to fill the gap replacing him, and get some additional gains past 2022, when we're going to start needing fresher contracts to offset the huge hit we're going to take with existing contracts, and the cuts that will be made to clear some breathing room.

The salary cap skyrocketing because of the new TV deal kicking in will at least partly take care of that.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The salary cap skyrocketing because of the new TV deal kicking in will at least partly take care of that.
I think that increase has already been spent by the Packers in back loaded contracts, anticipating it would happen. Then there's the across the board escalation in normal existing contracts. Not nearly as much clear sky as you'd imagine.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts