Absolutely disgusted with the playcalling..

toolkien

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Does anyone think the "disconnect" could have something to do with playing much better passing defenses this year and then all the injuries to the offense - receiving corp, line, and running back? And the last time I checked Rodgers STILL leads the league in QB rating. In case people weren't aware, the Packers played a slate of teams that averaged 27th in QB rating surrendered while this year, so far, they've faced a slate of teams that average 6th. Of course, some of the difference is due to the Packers themselves, but they don't account for the entirety of the difference by a long shot. The good news is the Packers likely face a somewhat easier time next year with the inter-divisional matchups that are due.

Time was the Packers would suffer one or two injuries and their slim playoff hopes quickly became none (and that was the HIGH POINT of a 2 decade period of time). Now, a boatload of injuries and tough schedule has this team one historically TERRIBLE call away from having a first round bye.

It's obvious to me that people simply don't know what they are watching. I don't expect moony-eyed tolerance at every turn, but when some "packer fans" can reduce the Favre Era into "Brett Favre, a few years with a good defense, and the rest trash" from the team that was #1 in win loss, #1 in win loss against playoff caliber teams, and one top overall teams in scoring, yardage, and turnover rankings, on average, then it's obvious people have much too high of expectations and can manage a distorted view based on unwarranted disappointments. Yes, this year is a little softer than the previous three years, where the Packers were arguably the best team in the league. They have fallen from #1/2 in the NFC to about 3. And they're not challenging all time scoring records. The pikers.

And yes, the brain trust of Philbin and Sherman is working wonders down in Miami. Miami has anything going at all because of their defense. The last I checked Philbin was around for that 388 point effort in 2010. But then the D only gave up 240 points that year, which I suppose Philbin was responsible for too?

Again, the Packers are simply playing a much different mix of teams this year. And between the two years, setting aside a terrible call, the Packers are 24-5, including the post season. But it's not good enough. Oh well, I'm sure after 20+ years of 10-6 seasons on average and leading the league in playoff births, some truly bad days are somewhere down the line in the next 10 years or so. Perhaps after a run of 4-12 or 5-11 seasons, people will again appreciate the bad old days when the Packers gave up too many yards between the 20's one season, or the year where they should have been a 2nd seed and bye but for some supposedly peculiar play calling.

The Packers are battling injuries, and all we can hope for is getting as healthy as possible.

Grave

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Our offense has been struggling, I think they just wanted to throw something else out there. I have no problem with the trick play. The Vikings didn't bite. In the end, it amounted to nothing more than a great punt anyway.

I actually was pretty happy with the mix of run and pass. I'd like to see more Aaron too, but there seems to be some sort of disconnect between Aaron and his receivers this year. I think he's quite a bit more skiddish this year than he has been in the past. He's not seeing open guys down the field, and sometimes there's just no one open.

They did try a couple screen plays yesterday, I believe. I can recall one for sure.

The only playcalling I had a problem with was the 3rd and short. The first one was great on the bootleg, and then we struggled. We really struggle in 3rd and shorts, but that's mostly due to personnel. We don't have a bruising short yardage RB that we can really count on for those situations.

The disconnect has been the efforts of sackers to separate Rodger's brain from his body. I was afraid he wouldn't get up after the roughing penalty. What do you think he feels like after being hit a coupla 100times?

As for the play calling, I have been demanding for 62 years the Packers only call the plays that work.

Wetwilly600

Cheesehead
Reaction score
First off screens will not work often when a team is only rushing with 4. The screen play is designed to stop a blitz. The giants and vikings rarely ever blitzed. They were getting pressure with their front 4. Our receivers just plain are not getting open. I believe Jennings is a lot better than people have been getting him credit for. We are completely spoiled by last season. The Packers season last year was amazing and i don't expect to see something like it for a long time. Rodgers is still playing at an extremely high level and hes the most sacked QB in the league. Give the guy some credit here. This is a different team than last year. Defenses have caught on that we rely on Rodgers and are dropping 7 to stop him. We need to be able to run the ball and we did that against the vikings. If we continue to run the ball like we did against the vikings and can get some guys back we are a very scary team. Most importantly despite what everyone says about our defense, it is a massive improvement over last year. We are a more balanced team than last year and if we can get some guys healthy i believe we will be even more of a threat in the playoffs than we were last year. Everyone just needs to clam down and enjoy the ride. Were 8-4 and not out of the picture for a #2 seed!

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
“lipstick on a pig”, huh? The play caller can’t catch the ball or throw it. He can’t block or make sure the ball is secured. All he can do is put his players in a position to succeed. On the “trick” play, the QB had time to throw a long pass (the play caller succeeded with a scheme which gave Rodgers a lot of time). The WR was behind both the DB covering him and the S who came over off another player so the play caller succeeded in “scheming” a WR open who should have caught that ball at or in the end zone if it was thrown properly. That’s all a play caller can do. The QB had time to complete a long TD pass to an open WR even though the OL on the field was sub-par. IMO the pig in need of lipstick is the opinion the problem was the play call and not the execution.

- - - - - -

All this just my opinion: What teams have learned this season is to play a ton of cover two with minimal blitzing against the Packers. Remember last season when Rodgers just murdered the blitz on a regular basis? His incredibly high passer rating was even higher vs. the blitz. DCs learned they have to get more guys back in coverage and take away deep throws with two deep safeties. Unfortunately, they have been aided by a poor performing OL early in the season and then an injury to Bulaga which weakened two spots on the OL. So good Ds which can put pressure on Rodgers rushing 4 have the luxury of having 7 players in coverage. That allows them, for example, to play inside leverage to take away the quick slants that worked so well last season, knowing they have help if they get burned by a double move. If the Packers have to have more than the 5 OL to block 4 rushers – holy crap: Then four guys going out in pass patterns can be covered by 7. That’s why Rodgers is holding onto the ball more and receivers are having problems getting open. That, and Jennings absence took away an effective deep threat who had/has great chemistry with Rodgers.

That’s also why (as has been previously mentioned) screens won’t be as effective. That’s why McCarthy is running the ball more and why it’s important Starks and Green continue to rush for 4 or more ypc. D’s are daring the Packers to run the ball – they don’t think they can march down the field and score without the explosive passing plays that were so common last season. Opposing Ds are going to keep their two safeties deep until the Packers force them to bring one of 'em up to the LOS. BTW, one of the reasons for the Packers' success against the Texans was Phillips stubbornly sticking to his one deep safety base D.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let's set this straight:

The Play The flea flicker worked perfectly and conflicts with the OP's comments. A standard flea flicker is usually a run up the middle with a backward lateral to the QB still in the pocket. However, knowing that the blocking hasn't been good, MM incorporated misdirection that took the defense away from Rodgers as they pursued Cobb. That's smart. Cobb then threw an okay pass back to Rodgers. At this point Jennings had the defense beat but they weren't fooled, meaning that they were trailing. Rodgers under threw the pass causing Jennings to come back to the ball and the safety enough time and space to make the INT. The ball was thrown from around the 40 yard line to the 6 so it went about 54 yards in the air. I don't know Rodgers' max throwing distance so I won't comment on that.

The Call As to whether or not that play should have been called, we can all talk about when to or not to use trick plays but it's pointless. EVERY TEAM in the NFL incorporates trick plays into their game plan several times per season. There weren't many people online here complaining about the fake special teams plays earlier this season....because they worked!

The Situation The Packers had opened the half by going 51 yards for a FG. Our defense had just stuffed the Vikings with a 3-and-out for minus one yard. It was 2nd 6 at our own 44 yard line when MM called the play. The Vikings took over at the 6 yard line so it resulted in a 52 yard equivalent to a punt. On the Vikings ensuing possession, the defense held Minnesota to another 3-and-out for a total of nine yards. The result was the Packers starting their next drive on their own 49 yard line and driving for a TD.

Analysis In hindsight (ha ha ha), it worked out fine for GB. The defense was stout and that might have factored into MM's thinking process. I would have rather seen the play occur on a 3rd and short versus 2nd and 6 but that is, as Wayne Lerrivee would say, the chess match. Do something when the other team doesn't expect it. I have no problem with the play aside from the poor executive by Rodgers.

I also want to comment about the screen passes. As HyponGrey pointed out, screen passes are most effective against blitzes. The real blue print is for defenses to drop into coverage and not blitz Rodgers. He kills blitzes. What he doesn't do is kill 7 man coverage. So unless he starts doing that to invite blitzes again, you won't see much for screens. The other part of a screen is that you need OLinemen that can execute it. I'm not sure that we have guys that can pull effectively.

Reaction score
Everyone saw Rodgers slice up Blitz Happy Teams - Then they saw him struggle against The Bears with their dumb scheme.... - Then the Chiefs/Giants came at us the same way - Then our oline got all banged up - Wells & Clifton leave - Saturday & Newhouse are "meh" replacements - Then Bulaga goes down - Sherrod can't comeback ...
so now we're stuck having to be patient compared to last year.... 2011 was playing madden on easy - 2012 is playing on ... Expert difficulty - I like it thou, it's teaching our team to grind it out - fight, scratch and claw for victory - toughness.

The Rivalry

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A lot of good observations here as to WHY the offense has been struggling. I think what most of us are looking for is a clearer indication that adjustments have been made. It's been 3 months worth of Rodgers being sacked and knocked down because no one's open or he's holding onto the ball too long. On a positive note, they've found ways to get Cobb more touches in the running game so there's evidence that MM and Clements are still innovating new ways to improve the offense, but I don't think it's too much to ask for a recognition that Rodger's is getting hit too often in his 5 and 7 step drops.

Members online

Latest posts