1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
  2. Announcement is LIVE: Read the Forum Post

About Derogitory Nicknames in NCAA

Discussion in 'The Atrium' started by kingwayne, Oct 15, 2005.

1. kingwayne

kingwayne Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I noticed when reading an article about this today that notre dame is not included on the list. Anyone have any insight into this. Fighting Irish is no more racially sensitive than fighting illini. At least in the Native american uses it has to do with being a fierce warrior. The Notre dame logo is a drunk leprauchan prparing to bare knuckle box. Whats the deal??

[​IMG]

2. Ryan

Ryan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    Nothing wrong with your post kingwayne, just a funny one for your first :)

3. kingwayne

kingwayne Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Im returning after a staying away for the off season bickering. I was GBNC poster before, I lost my login info after signing up this off season.

4. Ryan

Ryan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    PM me your email or username if you remember them and I can look it up for you and get you going again.

5. King Wayne

King Wayne Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    It all came rushing back to me after I posted the message. I forgot about the space. I found some old posts and tried some old passwords and here we are. Sorry to clutter up your db.

6. rabidgopher04

rabidgopher04 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    #1 - no Irish people have complained
    #2 - I think many people of Irish descent are actually PROUD to be categorized in such a way. Kind of like how Texans are quite proud of their state.

7. arrowgargantuan

arrowgargantuan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4
    i'm a quarter Irish and i think the leprechaun is pretty harmless. like rabid said, it's nice to have an entire college respresent your ethnicity so to speak.

i however, don't approve of the drunken stereotypes at all. constantly being portrayed on television as raving alcoholics who are completely out of control, totally apathetic and devoid of ambition...if i wasn't so wasted all the time i'd write a letter to somebody.

8. Cheesehog

Cheesehog Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    LITTLE PEOPLE UNITE!

[​IMG]

LEPRECHAUNS SPARRING PARTNER?

9. PackerChick

PackerChick Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    I am also Irish and I am not offended. Are Vikings offensive to scandinavians? You know Peta once wanted the Packers to change their team names, associating Packers with butchers, a form of animal cruelty. Too many sensitive persons out there. I dont see deragetory team names being offensive.

10. rabidgopher04

rabidgopher04 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    lol, i wonder if anyone else will catch this.

What's really interesting is that this stereotype goes back centuries to when Irish were first coming to America. They were all viewed as poor, hot-tempered, drunk and lazy.

It's amazing the stereotypes that still pervade in our "everyone is equal" society.

11. Miskito

Miskito Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    You crack me up, Arrow. lol

12. arrowgargantuan

arrowgargantuan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4
    haha..yeah i was pretty proud of that one myself.