Abdul Hodge

Krazygangsta

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hasnt this guy been playing ... where is he ... i havent heard about him since training camp ... and why isnt he starting instead of popinga

spardo62

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't see him playing right now, as they only worked him at middle during camp. It is felt that he is not an outside guy and could not cover TE's any better than Poppinga.

That being said, they maybe should have looked at Barnett on the outside during camp, with Hodge in the middle.

Hammer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
spardo62 said:
I don't see him playing right now, as they only worked him at middle during camp. It is felt that he is not an outside guy and could not cover TE's any better than Poppinga.

That being said, they maybe should have looked at Barnett on the outside during camp, with Hodge in the middle.
Unfortunately, Barnett doesn't sound too thrilled about that prospect.

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The current coaching staff (including Moss who some of you seem to love) does not believe that Hodge is ready to start, just as this staff and the previous three defensive coordinators (including Bates, who I loved) believed that Barnett was a MLB.

Starting positions in the NFL are not decided by popularity contests or fan polls, rather by players performances on the field (in practices and games) and by coaching staff's evaluations.

I like Hodge's potential, but as I have stated before and repeat here -- "he is not ready for prime time in the NFL," which of course is why he is on the bench and getting his only playing time as a special teams player.

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hodge will start as soon as Barnett's contract runs out, which is after this season. Barnett will want Urlacher money and he is in no way, shape or form anywhere near the player Urlacher is. With that, we will bid him best wishes in his new town.

Genearlly, I like Barnett, but I believe Hodge has the potential to be a more game-changing type MLB.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
I was against moving Barnett early in the season.

I'm now debating the issue.

When they have a WR in the slot it should be Barnett covering them if it HAS to be a LB at all. It should never be Poppinga.

Barnett
Poppinga
Hawk

I say.

kmac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Krazygangsta said:
Hasnt this guy been playing ... where is he ... i havent heard about him since training camp ... and why isnt he starting instead of popinga
Because Poppinga is a SLB and Hodge is a MLB. You can't just interchange the 2, this isn't Madden.

CalifPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DePack said:
He should be. Right now he is just mostly playing special teams. He needs to be in on our defense.

If Hodge is playing on special teams he hasn't made a tackle from the stat sheets I have looked at.

Is he getting on the field much?

OP
OP
K

Krazygangsta

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ok first of all popinga sucks his horrible he cant tackle cant cover no1 ... and think about it why not give hodge some time at his spot to get some experience to know how the game is ... how fast it is to get used to the playbook a bit ... and next year if barnett deosnt want to return to GB ... hoping he deos cause i dont feal like re building for 2 3 4 years in a row ... we would have a HAWK BARNETT HODGE or ... HAWK HODGE BARNETT that would be 3 amazing Linebackers ... we re sign harris too ... and draft a WR at draft day and pick up or trade for a DE ... then we should be ready for next year ... hopefully ... and i really think rodgers needs to get some time this year lets say its a blowout like the chicago game ... so he can get ready for next year also ... dont want to see an alex smith start for rodgers

OP
OP
K

Krazygangsta

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Anyways this season is lost ... their is no way were going to win the SB so why not just let the rookies get experience get a good pick in the draft ... so next year we could be performers ... if not the year after ... the sooner the better... anyways ... a true fan that understands and his honnest to themselves knows that were not going to no where this year ... even tho its the first 2 weeks ... we just have too many weak points specially on offense we dont even have a good running game 2 rookies on an oline ... 1 rookie starting WR a TE that cant catch balls ... anyways ... next year TT should let franks go ... keep ferguson as a number 4 wr ... draft a wr in second round ... draft a RB in 1st round ... then will have a competing team

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bruce said:
Starting positions in the NFL are not decided by popularity contests or fan polls, rather by players performances on the field (in practices and games) and by coaching staff's evaluations.

I like Hodge's potential, but as I have stated before and repeat here -- "he is not ready for prime time in the NFL," which of course is why he is on the bench and getting his only playing time as a special teams player.

Two things Bruce...If this coaching staff starts guys by their "performance in the games" Poppinga would be on the bench alongside Manual and a few others. Secondly I trust your judgement that you don't think Hodge "is ready for prime time in the NFL", but after watching Poppinga the last two weeks it's pretty damn clear that he isn't ready for prime time in the Arena football league.

OP
OP
K

Krazygangsta

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Imagine The Offense :

WR : Driver Jennings 2nd round pick robinson
TE : Draft or Sign Or Franks Steps Up Be4 Season ends
Oline : We keep same as this unless theirs a cheap FA
QB : Rodgers
RB : 1st round pick

Defense :

Dline : KGB Kampan Pickett Jenkins
LB : Hawk Hodge Barnett or Hawk Barnett Hodge
CB : Harris Woodson Caroll Draft one in 3rd round
S : Collins Culver

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DePack said:
Bruce said:

Two things Bruce...If this coaching staff starts guys by their "performance in the games" Poppinga would be on the bench alongside Manual and a few others. Secondly I trust your judgement that you don't think Hodge "is ready for prime time in the NFL", but after watching Poppinga the last two weeks it's pretty damn clear that he isn't ready for prime time in the Arena football league.

I agree Poppinga stinks, but Bruce is correct, Hodge isn't ready either and I'm not sure Hodge will ever be anything near as good as some people think.

I say bring in Taylor and see what he can do.

paxvogel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We have had only 2 games so relax a little. Plus it is hard to blame just one person when the defense in total has been bad except for Kampman.

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh...our interior is holding up well against the run....which is their primary function in this scheme. To me, the secondary, combined with erratic LB play, is what is killing us. But, the blitz must come out to play as no pro QB can be allowed to have 4 - 5 seconds to get the ball off.

Visions of Jason Garrett dancing in my head with that last one! OUCH.

PackerLegend

Cheesehead
Reaction score
digsthepack said:
Hodge will start as soon as Barnett's contract runs out, which is after this season. Barnett will want Urlacher money and he is in no way, shape or form anywhere near the player Urlacher is. With that, we will bid him best wishes in his new town.

Genearlly, I like Barnett, but I believe Hodge has the potential to be a more game-changing type MLB.

Why is everyone saying his contract runs out after this season and in the salary cap info it says it doesnt run out until 2009?????? Barnett is still very young at only age 25. it says he signed a 7 year contract but the last 2 years are a option?

Yared-Yam

Cheesehead
Reaction score
calicheesehead said:
I liked Hodge in preseason but his covering skills were actually worse than Brady's.

Poppinga and Hodge are both good vs. the run, but they're coverage skills suck the rusty pipe.

It would probably be a wash as to who should be starting between the two.

Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
Barnett
Poppinga
Hawk

I say.

The problem I have is that Barnett isn't going to be able to shed blocked and make plays, which I feel is his best strength on the field.

For that reason I'd say Barnett HAS to stay in the middle, with Popp being outside since his experience at DE can help him shed blockers/deal with them better.

the rookies get experience get a good pick in the draft ... so next year we could be performers ... then will have a competing team

I think your reasoning is flawed with a couple of major points.

1. Packers can't be competitive until the inital youth movement brought in this year and last year get experience and adjusted to the NFL.

2. Packers are more than 7-8 draft picks away from competing once again. In reality, the Packers a few high first round picks away from really being a contending team, and since the Packers only have one pick this year in the first round (which should be relatively high), they need more time to bring in top tier players.

As for Hodge, I agree with others that Bruce said it best; he simply isn't ready to play yet.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Strong Side should be your least athletic of the 3. He has to be tough as nails however. His main job is to take on blocks from the FB or whomever. The STRONG SIDE has an extra blocker thus making it the STRONG side. The main job against the run is to keep that extra blocker engaged so the Middle LB,Weak LB,SS,etc can make the play.
Usually you won't see a SAM lead the LB's in tackles.

Against the pass, its pretty much the 3 most athletic guys you can put on the field. There is no prototypical coverage LB. The best thing outside of pure athleticism to have when in coverage is discipline. This is where Barnett struggles. He overplays everything and bites to hard and by the time he realizes whats going on his man he's two steps behind the guy, be it in his zone or in man.

Taylor needs to be inserted. I'm notsure about his pass coverage but it can't be any worse than Poppinga's. Barnett needs to play more disciplined but he just doesn't seem to learn. That what keeps him from being an ELITE LB in this league

Cory

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pyledriver80 said:
DePack said:
Bruce said:

I agree Poppinga stinks, but Bruce is correct, Hodge isn't ready either and I'm not sure Hodge will ever be anything near as good as some people think.

I say bring in Taylor and see what he can do.

I would love for Hodge to succeed, but does he make any plays outside the tackles? He seems to sometimes make very quick reads against the run in between the tackles, but other then that....

Right now I saw you let Hawk cover the TE's and blitz poppinga.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts