Abdul Hodge

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As quoted on packers.com:

"You just want to be physical, and you just want to finish. You have to have an ATTITUDE to finish every play."

Seems a lot of the players taken recently by the Pack have that "attitude" I get the feeling I am going to love to watch this guy take someon's starting spot and wreak havoc for the next 6 - 10 years.

DakotaT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe we can play some situational 3-4 to get Brady Pop on the field as well. Linebackers are the soul of any defense, and we now have an abundance. It is going to be nice seeing the D lay some wood this year!

OP
OP
D

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Situational 3-4 defenses would certainly suprise many because the Packers have always been a 4-3.

Yes, we do have an abundance of quality LBs.

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think we have the personnel on the DL for a 3-4 though. Picket fits the bill as does, perhaps, Kampman, but I'm not sure who would play the other end spot.

OP
OP
D

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mike Montgomery is very stout and active towards the QB and RB.

Who knows....it is just so exciting to know that the LBs will FINALLY get back to form. This unit is going to be fun to watch, man.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This will p1ss off some viking fans (and you know me I don't like to **** off anybody). Abdul Hodge will be a better pro linebacker than Chad Greenway.

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TOPackerFan said:
I don't think we have the personnel on the DL for a 3-4 though. Picket fits the bill as does, perhaps, Kampman, but I'm not sure who would play the other end spot.

I think Jenkins could fit the mold at the other end spot in a 3-4. Although I think this should only be situational and not the standard defense.

The defense made a lot of good progress with the Bates' scheme last season and it'd be nice to have some consistency on defense. It's got to be tough for players to improve when the system is always changing. Barnett has had a new DC every year thusfar, but at least Sanders will be using the same system this time around.

IndiPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Whoever the final 3 turn out to be, these guys will likely create more turnovers.

paxvogel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DePack said:
This will p1ss off some viking fans (and you know me I don't like to **** off anybody). Abdul Hodge will be a better pro linebacker than Chad Greenway.
I agree with you DePack, Hodge is smarter and more aggressive and that will make up for the difference in physical ability.

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
digsthepack said:

Who knows....it is just so exciting to know that the LBs will FINALLY get back to form. This unit is going to be fun to watch, man.

That's who I originally thought may have been able to do it, but he apparently lost 20 lbs over the offseason in an effort to get faster.

Reaction score
TOPackerFan said:
digsthepack said:

That's who I originally thought may have been able to do it, but he apparently lost 20 lbs over the offseason in an effort to get faster.

What about Corey Williams? I really like that guy. Played some DE first year I think. Maybe Kenny Peterson is has an outside shot?

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I forgot about Corey Williams but he's a good option assuming he can stay healthy. I think Peterson is a little too slow to play end, but that's probably not as much of a liability in the 3-4 as it is in the 4-3.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
paxvogel said:
DePack said:
I agree with you DePack, Hodge is smarter and more aggressive and that will make up for the difference in physical ability.

I don't think Hodge has that much to make up for in physical ability with Greenway...Hodge is short for his position but plays much taller. He's going to be a future Pro Bowler for years to come in my opinion and will leave the Greenway vs. Hodge thing in the dust.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
who cares if you're listed at 5'5 if you hit like you're 6'3.

I'm more interested in Hodge vs. Barnett now.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just curious: Why do I hear so many people suggest that Hodge start in the middle and Barnett move to the outside, but I never hear anyone suggest that Hodge play on the outside? What does Hodge lack that is needed out there?

I've never seen the guy play, so I have no idea. It just seems like any linebacker who is nicknamed "The Butcher" might be a good choice to beat up on tight ends all day, like Wayne Simmons used to do.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i dont know much about him either, but everyone here (who probably know less than we do onthe kid) says he can't do it, doesn't belong there,etc.

And Hodge at MLB with Barnett and Hawk on the sides could be better than Barnett at MLB with Hawk and Hodge on the sides.

I think we all agree that we should get the best combination out there, if its carroll out there, hodge at MLB, or Herron in the backfield. Whoever can do the best job, get em out there.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm okay with it as long as Barnett is on the strong side. I think Hawk is needed to provide some muscle behind KGB on the weak side. Put Barnett behind KGB and teams would run the ball right at them all day long.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:
I'm okay with it as long as Barnett is on the strong side. I think Hawk is needed to provide some muscle behind KGB on the weak side. Put Barnett behind KGB and teams would run the ball right at them all day long.

Yep and I think in time that'll be what happens. Right now Barnett will probably play MLB and Hodge will be the backup. Next year, I think Hodge will probably start at MLB and Barnett will be moved to SLB.

retiredgrampa

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It has often been said that Hodge is too slow to be a OLB. My thought is that any guy who could lead Iowa in tackles for 3 consecutive years can't be "too slow"! It's that kind of "in the rut" thinking that can stifle a players progress. Taylor is a solid player, but not a playmaker IMO. Hodge belongs in the starting unit until he shows he can't handle it.

Lare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It sounds like Hodge is only really suited to play the middle, and unfortunately (for whatever reason) two coaching staffs have determined that Barnett can also only play the middle. I assume that is either because;

A. They've tried him there in practice and seen that he sucks on the outside compared to how he plays in the middle, or;

B. He's indicated to them in some way that he does not want to play on the outside and will be an unhappy camper if forced to do so.

To me this indicates that Hodge is destined for backup duty until such time as Barnett either leaves or is injured.

Too bad, it'll be a shame if they can't ever put their three best LB's on the field at the same time.

Packula

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope that they don't have both players slotted at "only" MLB. I agree that's a tremendous waste. Why would they have wasted two first-day picks on LBs when only one would have a chance to see the field (and we had "openings" at both OLB spots)?

Tangent: could this be opening the door for a 3-4 anytime in the near future?

Members online

Latest posts