Aaron Rodgers

Status
Not open for further replies.

GakkofNorway

Cheesehead
Reaction score
After the game against New England there has been a lot of frustration. However this frustration hasn't been directed towards the team, which played awful. It has been directed towards our young second year QB.
He came into the game in the 2nd quarter and didn't exactly impress.

Some statements on this forum has frustrated me a lot.

1. He hasn't earned the right to tell his teammates when they don't do their job and isn't showing leadership, and he hasn't earned the right to refuse talking to the media.

As the QB of a team you are the catalyst of the offense. No matter what you say, the QB is always the team's leader on offense. If Aaron Rodgers as the leader on offense can't get in his teammates face when they clearly doesn't do their jobs, how is he supposed to lead the team? I'd be more concerned about his leadership abillities if he hadn't reacted, patted his teammates on the shoulder and said "you did your best".

Someone might think he showed it in the wrong way, but nobody except the players on the field knows what exactly went on, and as far as I know he was known for great leadership qualities in college and I haven't heard any rumours of grumbling in the team after what happened. I am glad he showed leadership and told his teammates what he thought of their performance, because it was anything but good. These guys are professional athletes, this is their job and they get payed more than a lot to do it, if they can't deal with their leader getting angry at their dismal perfomance they should quit. If people in usual jobs perform this bad they are usually fired.

When it comes to not talking to the media I think he had good reason for not wanting to talk to them. He showed extreme toughness playing a quarter with a broken leg. Think about it, would you feel like talking to the press after getting into a game, getting the most playing time you've had in your career in a game that was getting out of hand with the Patriots defense totally dominating and don't live up to the expectations of outplaying a future HOF QB, and in addition breaking your leg to end your season alltogether? I would have been concerned what would have come out of his mouth if he had indeed talked to the media after that.

2. He's a bust.

This is just ridiculous, how many QBs come into their first game dominating? Not many, and especially not against a Pats defense on the roll. Carson Palmer is looking pretty good now, how did he do his first game? How about Rex Grossman? QB is probably the most difficult position in the NFL and most players need time to adjust, so do Aaron Rodgers. Unfortunatly for Rodgers he will by many Packersfans be compared to Brett Favre, a comparison he probably won't ever match, therefore he is bound to be looked upon as a "failure" by many fans. We won't get another Brett Favre and it's not fair for any player to be expected to perform like him, deal with it.

PWT36

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gakko-- Excellent well thought out post concerning Aaron Rodgers. Aaron is a young man (22 years old) and hopefully, will mature as a man and as Quarterback just as Brett Favre did. Remember Brett Favre had many problems along the way from his early years in '91. '92, '93, as a young quarterback developing into what he became ,a mature 3 time MVP and future Hall of Famer.

Will Aaron Rodgers succeed? I don't know. It is far too early to know. Only time will tell.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Some statements on this forum has frustrated me a lot.

1. He hasn't earned the right to tell his teammates when they don't do their job and isn't showing leadership, and he hasn't earned the right to refuse talking to the media.

As the QB of a team you are the catalyst of the offense. No matter what you say, the QB is always the team's leader on offense. If Aaron Rodgers as the leader on offense can't get in his teammates face when they clearly doesn't do their jobs, how is he supposed to lead the team? I'd be more concerned about his leadership abillities if he hadn't reacted, patted his teammates on the shoulder and said "you did your best".

Someone might think he showed it in the wrong way, but nobody except the players on the field knows what exactly went on, and as far as I know he was known for great leadership qualities in college and I haven't heard any rumours of grumbling in the team after what happened. I am glad he showed leadership and told his teammates what he thought of their performance, because it was anything but good. These guys are professional athletes, this is their job and they get payed more than a lot to do it, if they can't deal with their leader getting angry at their dismal perfomance they should quit. If people in usual jobs perform this bad they are usually fired.

When it comes to not talking to the media I think he had good reason for not wanting to talk to them. He showed extreme toughness playing a quarter with a broken leg. Think about it, would you feel like talking to the press after getting into a game, getting the most playing time you've had in your career in a game that was getting out of hand with the Patriots defense totally dominating and don't live up to the expectations of outplaying a future HOF QB, and in addition breaking your leg to end your season alltogether? I would have been concerned what would have come out of his mouth if he had indeed talked to the media after that.

edit, not worth it ...

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
2. He's a bust.

This is just ridiculous, how many QBs come into their first game dominating? Not many, and especially not against a Pats defense on the roll. Carson Palmer is looking pretty good now, how did he do his first game? How about Rex Grossman? QB is probably the most difficult position in the NFL and most players need time to adjust, so do Aaron Rodgers. Unfortunatly for Rodgers he will by many Packersfans be compared to Brett Favre, a comparison he probably won't ever match, therefore he is bound to be looked upon as a "failure" by many fans. We won't get another Brett Favre and it's not fair for any player to be expected to perform like him, deal with it.

I agree with this. I'm not saying Rodgers is going to be great. He could be a bust but Favre didn't look much better and if Favre is struggling against New England it shouldn't shock anyone that Rodgers is struggling against New England. Favre is veteran and future HOF. Rodgers is still learning and very young.

IronMan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah to judge him on 3 qtrs of play is ridiculous. Thats pretty much what Glanville did with Brett. Now Brett is going to the HOF.

C-Mize

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He might not be a bust. But I sure as hell dont think he is the answer. I guess I have been too spoiled with having Brett Favre on my favorite team for the past 15 years, but this kid A-Rod is the most boring unpassionate QB I've seen. It appears he has zero leadership skills and cant command the huddle, much less carry the team to the ultimate goal-a Super Bowl. I know its early, and we havent seen much out of him, but what I have seen is alarming. I know hindsight is 20/20, but I think the Packers would of been better off drafting Mike Patterson or Luis Castillo with the 1st pick. We would have a much more solid interior D-line. And I know the story of Terrence Murphy is a sad one, but dont you think we would of been better off drafting Frank "The Tank" Gore, who is obviosly a beast on a team that has more O-line problems than us. Anways, I'll end this rant.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
GakkofNorway said:
2. He's a bust.

I agree with this. I'm not saying Rodgers is going to be great. He could be a bust but Favre didn't look much better and if Favre is struggling against New England it shouldn't shock anyone that Rodgers is struggling against New England. Favre is veteran and future HOF. Rodgers is still learning and very young.

I am so tired of hypocritical posts like this.

You guys constantly say "give him a break, don't compare him to Brett Favre". Well that's exactly what you are doing...."Favre made mistaakes when he was young". It's Ok to compare him to Favre when he looks bad but we shouldn't expect him to be as good as Favre?

BS....Aaron Rodgers will never be a top flight QB in the NFL. He will spell the demise of TT.

Now Gakk.....the above is just my opinion. That's what this board is about.... opinions. So yours differ from others? Too bad....deal with it.

millertime

Cheesehead
Reaction score

You guys constantly say "give him a break, don't compare him to Brett Favre". Well that's exactly what you are doing...."Favre made mistaakes when he was young". It's Ok to compare him to Favre when he looks bad but we shouldn't expect him to be as good as Favre?

BS....Aaron Rodgers will never be a top flight QB in the NFL. He will spell the demise of TT.

Now Gakk.....the above is just my opinion. That's what this board is about.... opinions. So yours differ from others? Too bad....deal with it.

You are certainly entitled to your opinion. Opinions don't hold much ground if you don't back them up, however. Give us some reasons why you feel this way. All your post does is make you sound like a bitter fan who cannot support his opinions with facts or reason.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DePack said:

You are certainly entitled to your opinion. Opinions don't hold much ground if you don't back them up, however. Give us some reasons why you feel this way. All your post does is make you sound like a bitter fan who cannot support his opinions with facts or reason.

Sorry you don't agree. I'm not a bitter fan (nor am I a fan of that gay avatar of yours but that's beside the point). I am basing my opinion on his performance in college and so far in the pros. 23 other GM's didn't think much of him either on draft day. Please tell me the facts now that you base your opinion of him being a superstar. I'm looking forward to it because all your other posts are so informative :roll:

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sorry you don't agree. I'm not a bitter fan (nor am I a fan of that gay avatar of yours but that's beside the point). I am basing my opinion on his performance in college and so far in the pros. 23 other GM's didn't think much of him either on draft day. Please tell me the facts now that you base your opinion of him being a superstar. I'm looking forward to it because all your other posts are so informative :roll:

It seems pretty reasonable to compare Rodgers as a young QB to Favre as a young QB, rather than comparing Rodgers to Favre as a seasoned veteran.

As for Rodgers' performance in college, I thought he performed very well, which is why he was considered a shoo-in first round pick by almost everyone and possibly #1 overall. The funny thing is that because Rodgers' stock fell so much on draft day, it just kept falling in the eyes of many fans and journalists, for no good reason. If 23 other GM's did not draft him in the first round, that does not mean they "did not think much of him," it just means they didn't think he was worthy of such a high pick. Had he been picked in the second round, or lower, would that mean he was okay?

You say, "Aaron Rodgers will never be a top flight QB in the NFL. He will spell the demise of TT." How can you be so sure? Personally, I don't think we have much to go on. He has decent arm strength and mobility, and he seems pretty smart, but obviously he hasn't put it all together yet.

POST EDITED: Sorry DePack, I had to get back to work and didn't realize that my post was all fouled up. I've corrected it now. Unfortunately the discussion has now passed me by. Darn computers. It's all their fault.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not sure what happened to your post Greg but I will assume that you don't agree with me. Somehow your posts got jumbled to the point where you have me quoted as saying something that someone else said and vice versa. As I stated they are my opinions....I can't be "so sure"....although I've never been wrong before about ANY personel!

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll tell you what I don't like about Rodgers so far - he never seems to look downfield. He's constantly looking into the flats for dump off opportunities rather than trying to make any type of play downfield. He also holds the ball way too long.

This can improve with some playing time, but he doesn't look to have much of a presence in the pocket.

Cal2GreenBay

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Man..all this proves is that many of you really have never seen Aaron Rodgers play and most importantly DON'T CARE TO.

And "he won't be a GOOD qb in the NFL". Well let's see..does your opinion REALLY matter to anyone it will matter to? Because you say that about this player or any player, are those players just gonna roll over and die?

Your opinion means nothing.

NOne of us are playing in the NFL so we really have nothing but speculation and speculation means squat.

I played IN college so I can at least speak on that part.

Aaron was an amazing college player, very charasmatic, and passionate leader of the Cal Bears. Those who claim to not see those qualities obviously never saw that.

Again..this is the Joe Montana/Steve Young syndrome. No one can do right behind Brett Favre. That's what you guys are struggling with.

Hindsight WILL be 20/20..and I'll just take sign in names now and see how these same sign in names will be singing the praises of this low first round, okay armed, not goingt to be a great QB in the NFL guy...in 2-3 years when he's leading YOUR packers...

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
hey, A-Rod!

I hope Rodgers turns out all right, I hope GB turns out all right in general, from Arod to Shotty.

Cal2GreenBay

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You know what also shows ignorance is "Aaron doesn't look down the field"

If you guys know ANYTHING about the patriots and how they play..they TAKE THAT PART of the field away...

The ONLY OFFENSE that has succeeded consistently against that defense is the Indianapolis colts and they've had 5 years to try to beat it.

This packers young team is not experience enough or been together long enought to tackle that offense.

In the west coast offense..the plays are TOWARDS the deep routes on many occasions. BUt what do you want Brett/Aaron to do???

YOu want them to throw the ball DEEP to make you happy and go "oooh..deep ball" and watch it fall into triple coverage and roll and trip-side packages that disguise passing lanes?

OR are you basing this on dream situations where Brett Favre threads the needle against such defenses?? Even though he misses more than makes those kinds of throws? You want them to TRY right? So they try and turns into a turnover and puts the defense in a bad position?
OR do youw ant a QB that will play within the offense and then live to fight another day(another possession?)

Well you guys..if you look at that game, Brett TRIED to push into those seams and was not successful.

What does Mike McCarthy like about Aaron Rodgers?
He likes his arm strength, leadership qualities, toughness in the pocket and athleticism.

There's LOTS of Qbs who run as soon as there's pressure..

I've read quotes where people said Aaron ran too much (last year's Baltimore game). NOW you're saying he stays in there too long..
(see..how you all make it a no win situation?)..Make a choice..either way..and stick to a complaint instead of being on both sides..."too long" or "leaves too quick"

The BIGGEST strength that McCarthy likes of Aaron is that he "stays within the offense". Aaron DID THAT for most of the game....did what the defense gave him..which were SHORT dump passes and check downs which were for the RECIEVERS to make something out of.

So he did what the coaches and the gameplan, and the opposition asked of him (just like Brett did)..and it DID NOT WORK...
SO what did he do after that??

He tried to MAKE THINGS HAPPEN (something some other fans say he doesn't do). Aaron would roll out and make plays w/his feet.
Even McCarthy spoke about Aaron's athleticism to get out there and get those tough 1st downs.

He then came out of the offense a bit, to make things happen (stuff that Jags and McCarthy wanted him to stick too..)

I remember another YOUNG PACKERS QB who would NOT stick to the gameplan and run for 1st downs and try to take shots down the field..even though he missed more than he made. He drove his coach Mike Holmgren nuts for not sticking to the gameplan. Yep...Brett Favre.

Cal2GreenBay

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Now...if we're going for "OPINIONS"....

During the preseason this year, they asked Brett Favre if he thought Aaron Rodgers would be successful in the NFL.

Brett's answer???

"Absolutely. Aaron's going to be just fine. I just told him to make his own identity and not try to be another Brett Favre and just blaze his own trail. Try not to think about the the fans/people around him might want him to be but be his own player"

Some obscure poster on this forum thing Aaron "will never make it in the NFL"

yet..that same poster's idol..Brett Favre says Aaron WILL make it.

So who's opinion you think REALLY matters?

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
During the preseason this year, they asked Brett Favre if he thought Aaron Rodgers would be successful in the NFL.

Brett's answer???

"Absolutely. Aaron's going to be just fine. I just told him to make his own identity and not try to be another Brett Favre and just blaze his own trail. Try not to think about the the fans/people around him might want him to be but be his own player"

Some obscure poster on this forum thing Aaron "will never make it in the NFL"

yet..that same poster's idol..Brett Favre says Aaron WILL make it.

So who's opinion you think REALLY matters?

Are you serious with this? What does he have to gain by saying Aaron has no chance? Get real. Brett is an honest man, but he's a good teamate first. He's not going to throw his 'protege' under the bus.

Asking Brett how his backup is going to do is a loaded question and you damn well already know the answer.

I think you pulled this up because your defensive over your boy. If that's the case. Do please relax. We packer fans hope Aaron is the next great QB in GB for the simple fact we dont want to experience more losing seasons sooner rather than later.

My take on Rodgers. He's gonna be a fair to good QB. I don't see his talent winning games for us, but on the same note I don't see him rexing it up out there and costing us games. I think the percentage of win/loss due to his QB skills will be 60/40. If thats not understandable. I'm saying I think he will win more games than cost us to lose.

Cal2GreenBay

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Brett'll call someone and won't minced words. He'll tell it like it is as we've seen w/how he calls out receivers etc...

IF he didn't think Aaron would make it..Brett would say stuff like "he has a GOOD CHANCE"..that's the read between the lines company line comment that they are so GOOD at.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nah, schmitty made it in appreciation of the highlight video I made. It was nice of him. pretty sweet eh?

and on subject...Arod will be fine(i hope)

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Brett'll call someone and won't minced words. He'll tell it like it is as we've seen w/how he calls out receivers etc...

IF he didn't think Aaron would make it..Brett would say stuff like "he has a GOOD CHANCE"..that's the read between the lines company line comment that they are so GOOD at.

Who has he called out? I can't recall any and I live in Green Bay and follow the Packers pretty much non stop. The closest I can recall is when he would bean Bill Schroeder in the head when he would run a ****** route.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Latest posts