Aaron Rodgers

agopackgo4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I couldnt help but notice in the first two preseason games that Rodgers in some ways reminds me of Brett Favre. A couple of plays espicially. In the first game, when Rodgers was running all over in the pocket left and right and up and down and then threw a pass down field. It reminded me of plays Favre has made like that. Kind of running in circles avoiding people and then finding an open reciever. And then during the seahawk game he threaded the needle in the endzone, and then his little shovel pass to Holliday I believe it was, when Holliday dropped it. Is it just me? Or does he remind anyone else of Favre in a way? And do you think he is making these plays as a result of learning and watching a guy like Favre?

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've noticed the same thing, and I mentioned it in the forum last week. I think some of Favre's style has rubbed off on Rodgers, which is a good thing, because Rodgers probably needed to loosen up a bit anyway. Also, it was good to see them laughing together on the sidelines at one point during Saturday's game. They're not buddies or anything, but Rodgers obviously has a lot of respect for Favre, and I think Favre respects Rodgers too.

mi_keys

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've noticed it and so far I'm loving it. The shovel pass was great and he is moving around a lot like Favre used to back in the day. The TD throw to Martin against the Steelers that was overturned because of an illegal touching on Martin was another one of those Favre type plays. Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing more of this from Rodgers.

Raider Pride

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think we keep forgetting he is a first round draft pick, and two months before the draft he was projected by some to be the first overall pick.

His development does not shock me.

The Packers may have been blessed he fell so far down the board. Brady Quinn, and A-RODGE may go down in history as two great young Q.B's who got away from too many teams.

R.P.

millertime

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I doubt it.

He's a Tedford protege.

I know that Tedford QBs have typically struggled in the NFL, but you know one of them will eventually succeed. Why not Rodgers? When Rodgers takes over he will hopefully have a top 5 defense and a really solid running game. All we need is for him to be like Big Ben was for Pittsburgh the year the won the the superbowl. All he needs to worry about is throwing around 20 passes a game.

rabidgopher04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I had the exact same thought during the Seahawks game. It's cool to see him do things like that. Hopefully he doesn't get too risky though. ;)

OP
OP
A

agopackgo4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Raider Pride said:
I think we keep forgetting he is a first round draft pick, and two months before the draft he was projected by some to be the first overall pick.

His development does not shock me.

The Packers may have been blessed he fell so far down the board. Brady Quinn, and A-RODGE may go down in history as two great young Q.B's who got away from too many teams.

R.P.

I remember that, but I was expecting him to be a big time game manager.

That BTW would be a fantastic combo! Someone who shows glimpses of what Favre does, plus doesnt take it over the line and still manages a game and doesnt lose it for you.

LordEvil

Cheesehead
Reaction score
the shovel pass was great. that did remind me alot of farve. he is a first round pick, i hope he pans out. it still is going to be a new feeling watching someone else run the O.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Aaron Rodgers is from Chico, California.
The Zombieslayer owns a house in Chico, California, and will retire in that home in Chico, California after he makes his money in the San Francisco Bay Area.

Put 2+2 together.

Aaron Rodgers will be great. Favre will throw for 3800+ yards this year and 20+ TDs. Rodgers will take over next year and we'll barely miss a beat.

The only major differences I see between the two are Aaron Rodgers has a higher I.Q. but Brett Favre has more Hit Points.

The Pack is back!
(and Guinness tastes good)

Cal2GreenBay

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Aaron Rodgers is from Chico, California.
The Zombieslayer owns a house in Chico, California, and will retire in that home in Chico, California after he makes his money in the San Francisco Bay Area.

Put 2+2 together.

Aaron Rodgers will be great. Favre will throw for 3800+ yards this year and 20+ TDs. Rodgers will take over next year and we'll barely miss a beat.

The only major differences I see between the two are Aaron Rodgers has a higher I.Q. but Brett Favre has more Hit Points.

The Pack is back!
(and Guinness tastes good)

Aaron is a terrific game manager.

RainX

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you look at most Tedford QBs, most got thrown to the Lions within the first couple of years of being in the league. Also, no Tedford QB has ever had 3 seasons to learn behind a Hall of Fame QB like Rodgers has.

Once he takes over the reigns, which could very well be next year, I think he'll do just fine considering it will be his 4th season in the league.

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is from this morning's (August 21st) edition of the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel. What a breath of fresh air to read this. The 'kid' is growing up, and now, hopefully, his performance will follow...
----------------------

By BOB McGINN
[email protected]
Posted: Aug. 20, 2007
Green Bay - Much of Aaron Rodgers' improvement this summer has been evident in the physical art of quarterbacking: accuracy short and long, anticipation and touch, setup and delivery, decision-making, avoiding pressure and making plays on the move.

In 14 series the last two weeks, Aaron Rodgers has produced three touchdowns, three field goals and 27 first downs.

"When I look back, I felt like I probably didn't handle the situation well. That's why I think it's been a good learning situation not playing right away. I have been humbled through not playing. I have been humbled through my poor play my first year,"

Aaron Rodgers, who was sacked three times and lost a fumble in his appearance against New England last year.

But there's another element of his game that Rodgers knew needed attention. In short, he wasn't humble enough.

"I came out as a 21-year-old kid still wet behind the ears thinking I had all the answers," Rodgers said Monday. "I think I started believing a little bit too much about this No. 1 draft pick and all the other stuff.

"Definitely, I think I've grown up the last two years. And I've still got some ways to go."

Back then, Rodgers did come across as almost too full of himself. He portrayed a self-confidence that bordered on egotism. He talked a much better game than he played.

When Rodgers did get on the field, it looked as if he wasn't willing to assume responsibility. He was prone to wild swings of temperament, and his body language wasn't positive in the least.

"He's got a lot of negativism to him," one personnel man said of Rodgers early last September. "Looks like he's always looking for someone to blame for his shortcomings. Whether it's protection, receivers running wrong routes, whatever. He just gets so disgusted."

When Rodgers came back to the Green Bay Packers' training camp last month, he didn't seem nearly as strident. Here was a young man who had seen the error of his ways and was seeking a return to the basics.

"I'm trying to do that," he said. "Spiritually, that's what God calls me to be. As a player, I think it's attractive to the other guys in the locker room to stay humble."

Rodgers' entrance into the National Football League left him defensive and angry. He couldn't escape the skeptics who kept throwing the failure rate of University of California coach Jeff Tedford's quarterbacks into his face. Plus, his fall to No. 24 in the draft opened wounds that would be hard to close.

"I felt like I always had to justify myself," Rodgers said. " 'I'm a good player, I can do this, I can do that.' In hindsight, being honest, I felt like maybe coming out I didn't give the best impression of myself.

"A lot of that was maybe because of the advice I was given. I was told I really had to sell myself. That was their main strategy. Personally, that's not the way I operate. It was really hard for me to do.

"When I look back, I felt like I probably didn't handle the situation well. That's why I think it's been a good learning situation not playing right away. I have been humbled through not playing. I have been humbled through my poor play my first year.

"It's been tough but I think I've learned a good lesson: that I need to stay true to myself and continue to realize that there's bigger things than yourself out there. That's true in life."

Rodgers came in 2½ years ago all slicked-up and cutting a dashing figure. Today, he's sporting a rather wild beard, the mousse is gone and his wardrobe is a lot more jock than young executive.

Clearly, Brett Favre has rubbed off on him. The Packers hoped that would happen.

Still, Rodgers had to be the one who finally accepted the fact that humility, modesty and culpability were essential in the development of a professional quarterback.

"I'd rather deflect credit and give credit to other guys on the team and realize my place on this team," he said. "I'm kind of, like, 'Hey, I'm a cog in the wheel. I need to do my part, but everybody does as well.' And when it goes right it's not always because I'm such a good player."

It's probably human nature for a struggling young quarterback to want 70,000 fans to realize that it's not all his fault. Rodgers fell victim to some of that behavior as a rookie.

In the last year, offensive coordinator Joe Philbin had several long conversations with Rodgers about this very subject. He wanted to make sure that Rodgers understood the impression he was leaving.

"It's just being cognizant of other people's feelings and realizing people are always watching," Rodgers said. "I'm glad that it's starting to show up a little bit. I feel like my body language in general, practice included, has really improved."

Actually, Rodgers said his frequent displays of exasperation in the past were more his own disgust with himself than any attempt to show up teammates.

"I've always been a perfectionist on the field," he said. "When I have been demonstrative in the past, I'm mad at myself. The problem is it can be misconstrued that I'm mad at the person who ran the route."

On Saturday night, Rodgers took a frontal shot on a blitz that led to an off-target pass that Ruvell Martin caught beyond the end line on what would have been a 6-yard touchdown. Rather than swing his fist or thrust his arms into the air, as he probably would have done in the past, Rodgers stifled his emotions.

"The response I've got from my teammates, just the encouraging words saying I looked poised out there, is where I want to get," he said. "So the guys on the team have confidence in me. Guys can rah-rah and say whatever they want, but it's the consistent guy who shows poise is somebody who they're going to follow."

Rodgers' passer rating of 105.3 offers a statistical measure of his improved play. As a rookie, he failed to score a point in his first 19 series. In 14 series (80 plays) the last two weeks, he has produced three touchdowns, three field goals and 27 first downs.

But Rodgers knows there's a world of difference between exhibition and regular-season defenses. He made three or four mental mistakes against Seattle. He still has much to prove.

Yet the Packers now have more than blind optimism to think Rodgers can become at least an adequate starter. He has a contract lasting through 2009.

"I think I can be successful," Rodgers said. "I hope it's here, I really do. But I don't know what Brett's going to do. If it's not here, I shall meet that road when I get there."

Fuzznuts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Fuzznuts said:
I doubt it.

He's a Tedford protege.

I know that Tedford QBs have typically struggled in the NFL, but you know one of them will eventually succeed. Why not Rodgers? When Rodgers takes over he will hopefully have a top 5 defense and a really solid running game. All we need is for him to be like Big Ben was for Pittsburgh the year the won the the superbowl. All he needs to worry about is throwing around 20 passes a game.

It's interesting that you mention Big Ben.

After his first year, he fell quite a distance and you don't hear people saying that they'd rather have him on the Packers than Favre, he's the greatest QB in the league with most potential, etc. etc.

All I'm saying is that you never know in this game in the NFL. Rodgers may pan out, yet again he may not. Just like Ted Thompson.

You have to be careful what you wish for because you just may get it.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thanks for the article, net. That was a very good read. I had never really heard the inside story on Rodgers. It's interesting that just like Brett Favre, he had to be humbled before he could really find himself as a QB--not that he's there yet, but he seems to be on the right track.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yeah we had talked about this earlier in the season... during the first minutes of mini camps and OTA's when Rodgers gave an interview he looked like a different person.

He still has that cockiness, dont let him fool you. you could tell in his interviews that he knows hes good... now it just seems like he knows he is good, but he knows his game will have to show it... not his personality.

going into last year... i really didnt think a whole lot of aaron rodgers... but you can see the changes and progress hes made and it looks like its good for everyone. and watching him play saturday night... was actually fun.

Heatherthepackgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
After seeing a practice in Green Bay I have to say which I know some of you will disagree with me, I think number 10 Thompson the QB is going to be good. He moves around in the pocket so well. I also think he should beat out Martin as our third string.

I did have a change of heart where Rodgers is concerned while being there, he is a very friendly man, he also is picking up some of Farves moves I think he will be a great QB given sometime. Is he ready to step in now, I dont believe so but in time he will be and I think he will be great to.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What I like the most from what I have seen from Rodgers is his command of the offense as a leader. He get's in the huddle and there is no mistaking who has control of the offense.

Like Favre, you can see all those around him in the huddle are looking to him and believe that he can get it done.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
After seeing a practice in Green Bay I have to say which I know some of you will disagree with me, I think number 10 Thompson the QB is going to be good. He moves around in the pocket so well. I also think he should beat out Martin as our third string.

100% agree... watch that one throw he made Saturday... threaded the needle... albeit he has a LONG way to go, but he looks more the part than Martin. Paul Thompson is green as the day is long... but put him through a whole offseason here in GB and watch him grow.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Heatherthepackgirl said:
100% agree... watch that one throw he made Saturday... threaded the needle... albeit he has a LONG way to go, but he looks more the part than Martin. Paul Thompson is green as the day is long... but put him through a whole offseason here in GB and watch him grow.

I think this will happen. MM is known for his ability to bring along young QB's and Martin just hasn't progressed they way he should. Thompson has the athletic ability with a ton of upside. A couple years work under MM and this kid could really be good.

Cal2GreenBay

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Heatherthepackgirl said:

Completely agree on Thompson. He throws lasers. People who thought Martin was better than Rodgers were off on that..and in addition as people are mentioning...I believe Thompson will pass Martin as well.

Aaron's really coming along. It's nice to see.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Pack93z said:
Heatherthepackgirl said:
After seeing a practice in Green Bay I have to say which I know some of you will disagree with me, I think number 10 Thompson the QB is going to be good. He moves around in the pocket so well. I also think he should beat out Martin as our third string..

Completely agree on Thompson. He throws lasers. People who thought Martin was better than Rodgers were off on that..and in addition as people are mentioning...I believe Thompson will pass Martin as well.

I have nothing to contribute, I am just fixing the quotes cuz its buggin the crap out of me.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
:Razz: ... I fixed the original... sorry... but I must break yours to remain consistent :rotflmao:

Cal2GreenBay said:
Pack93z said:
Heatherthepackgirl said:
After seeing a practice in Green Bay I have to say which I know some of you will disagree with me, I think number 10 Thompson the QB is going to be good. He moves around in the pocket so well. I also think he should beat out Martin as our third string..

I have nothing to contribute, I am just fixing the quotes cuz its buggin the carp out of me.
Zero typed said:

and what a carp it is... :rotflmao:

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Cal2GreenBay

Cheesehead
Reaction score
:Razz: ... I fixed the original... sorry... but I must break yours to remain consistent :rotflmao:

Zero2Cool said:
Cal2GreenBay said:
Pack93z said:
Heatherthepackgirl said:

I have nothing to contribute, I am just fixing the quotes cuz its buggin the carp out of me.
Zero typed said:

and what a carp it is... :rotflmao:

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

That carp reference is too funny! hehehe..

Members online

Latest posts