Aaron Rodgers: The Climb to Greatness

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It is interesting he didn't get any love coming out of high school, but I think we can be safe in saying we're all glad it worked out the way it did.

Incubes12

Bay Harbor Butcher?
Reaction score
It is interesting he didn't get any love coming out of high school, but I think we can be safe in saying we're all glad it worked out the way it did.
Seems to me that some of the best QB's aren't phenomenal along the whole path.

lambeausouth

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Even coming out of college, there were questions about Rodgers as a pro QB. His throwing mechanics raised eyebrows, and his arm strength was not what it is now. Phil Simms has said that he watched Rodgers in his first training camp, and Aaron was a mess. He said that the Packers coaches appeared nervous. A few years later, Simms was just absolutely stunned by how Aaron had elevated his play.

The thing that, imho, separates Aaron from Brett is his work ethic. Aaron prepares better. He has willed himself into an elite QB. Brett was a great player, and no 3 time MVP can ever really be questioned...but imagine how much better he could have been towards the end of his career when his physical skills eroded just a bit.

Aaron has carried a chip on his shoulder since being passed over in the NFL draft, and we are the beneficiaries of an incredible fire burning inside of him. He is a true leader, in every meaning of the word, and we are so damned lucky to have him.

This is just the beginning, everybody.

lambeausouth

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And his decision making. Maybe that comes with all the preparation, I don't know.

Agreed Incubes, and yes, I think part of that is preparation. I also think it's Aaron's mind set. He's said on many occasions that he hates throwing interceptions. Favre didn't mind them. He made throws that would just blow your mind, and then make one a minute later that left you scratching your head. He was a gunslinger. Aaron is a quarterback. Big difference.

It was said that Favre had a short memory when it came to making mistakes. That was a blessing in some ways, and a curse in others. Yes, it meant he wouldn't dwell on the bad plays, but at the same time, he wasn't really inclined to rethink what he'd just done.

With Aaron, I don't see that. If he screws up, he takes accountability. Did we ever see Brett do that in post game pressers?

fettpett

Cheesehead
Reaction score
the two playstyles couldn't be more dissimilar, but I'm very glad of standing by and telling people "we'll see" when talking about Rodgers after he broke his foot against the Pat (I was at that game). You could just feel that Rodgers was going to grow into a great QB and am very glad he has

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Interceptions more than anything kill a team's chance of winning. If you doubt that, look up Starr's playoff numbers and Favre's.

In retrospect, we may have won a couple of more Championships with Warner if we had kept him around in 1994. Who knows?

pittguy578

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's funny that both my QB (Ben) and Aaron had a bad championship game..both threw two picks..Should be a heck of a game.

OP
OP
D

dlog123

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Interceptions more than anything kill a team's chance of winning.

This is very true..just look at the Giants this season. If you disregard turnovers, they were the top 3 offensive and defensive team however because of Eli's interceptions (and the team's turnovers) they failed to make the playoffs. His brother also had a lot of interceptions this year and the Colts struggled all season because of it.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, the Eagles were dominant when Michael Vick was not throwing an interception at all. If you have a decent QB and he can limit his interceptions, chances are the team will perform well.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts