Aaron Rodgers Said What?

nathaniel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
bozz_2006 said:
I have no problem with what he said. How many times can one person be asked the same question before it gets old? The kid is not Favre, and I couldn't be happier that he's nothing like him. I don't want him to be anything like Favre, and I don't expect him to be. The kid is being set up to fail by a lot of fans who just want a Favre clone.

Do you really think he's being set up to fail? maybe by sports writers, but I am not seeing that any fans are setting him up to fail. I expected that to happen, but i haven't seen that. i'm pleasantly surprised.

I know too many Packers fans who were Favre fans first, Packers fans second, and they've all but given up hope of a Super Bowl now that Favre's gone. I just think there's this feeling floating around that if we don't make it to the SB, it'll be Rodgers fault, cause the rest of the team seems SB-ready. I don't think that's true at all, but it's the feeling I get from a lot of Packer fans I've talked with.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
I'm surprised we haven't seen a graphic with fans getting on board with Aaron Rodgers suited up as the captain of the ship!

retiredgrampa

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The problem is that too many "Packer" fans are fearful that Rodgers is not only "new" but "injury prone". These things bring on the fear that the team will regress and become mediocre again. An opening game loss to Minny will only bolster all those fears. On the flip side, a win will quiet most qualms especially if Rodgers looks good in his opener. As always, all questions will be answered on the field, as it should be. As far as Rodgers getting a bit "testy" in his remarks...if I were him I'd have told the big-mouth on the elevator to shove his remarks where the sun doesn't shine.

PWT36

Cheesehead
Reaction score
From an upcoming interview in SI Aaron says -

"I don't feel I need to sell myself to fans. They need to get on board now or keep their mouths shut."

That is one opinion that Aaron Rodgers expressed, that he might better served himself by keeping that opinion to himself

But just about all of of us have expressed opinions that we probably regret saying. It is just being human.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Aaron Rodgers must have attended Mike McCarthy's Offseason Bad *** Program.

I think its being stretched a little. I don't think he means most fans in this case anyway. not even the fans that are unsure. He is addressing the people who are predicting failure from the start. The Favre-Firsters who will be the same people back on the band wagon by week 8 of the season.

It doesn't hurt my feelings, because he isn't talking to me. I stay on the bandwagon...

Heatherthepackgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
bozz_2006 said:
nathaniel said:
I have no problem with what he said. How many times can one person be asked the same question before it gets old? The kid is not Favre, and I couldn't be happier that he's nothing like him. I don't want him to be anything like Favre, and I don't expect him to be. The kid is being set up to fail by a lot of fans who just want a Favre clone.

Do you really think he's being set up to fail? maybe by sports writers, but I am not seeing that any fans are setting him up to fail. I expected that to happen, but i haven't seen that. i'm pleasantly surprised.

I know too many Packers fans who were Favre fans first, Packers fans second, and they've all but given up hope of a Super Bowl now that Favre's gone. I just think there's this feeling floating around that if we don't make it to the SB, it'll be Rodgers fault, cause the rest of the team seems SB-ready. I don't think that's true at all, but it's the feeling I get from a lot of Packer fans I've talked with.

When Favre lost to the Giants last year and other games we lost who did most people blame? Favre, it will be no different with Rodgers. I for one blamed Favre when it was him and only him making the mistakes, but if it was a team effort that cost them the games I didnt blame Favre and Favre alone. I will do the same thing where Rodgers is concerned.

This is the thing, we all make mistakes talking with our mouths, but again if we think before we talk sometimes we could prevent it. Rodgers will be criticized this year and probably more then any other QB because he is taking over from a legend. But all he has to do is prove himself that he can be a great QB for the Green Bay Packers, he will be no different then Favre, Favre took lots of criticism when loosing games as well even if they werent his fault totally. IMO we all have to remember it takes a team to win any game not just one person.

trippster

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He certianly didn't help his cause by making that statement. We as fans don't "have to get on board" with anything the Packers do. And we most definately don't have to shut our mouths. We are what pay his mortgage.

Actually, it reminds me of Ryan Leaf and his comments.

I am all for Rodgers doing well. To this point, I have liked how he has handled the press. however, this comment and his comment about Favre DEFINATELY not coming back to GB were not well thought out comments. He has no control on weather Favre comes back

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
all i'm saying is that just because what he said sounds stupid and thoughtless to you, doesn't mean he didn't think before he spoke.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He certianly didn't help his cause by making that statement. We as fans don't "have to get on board" with anything the Packers do. And we most definately don't have to shut our mouths. We are what pay his mortgage.

I am all for Rodgers doing well. To this point, I have liked how he has handled the press. however, this comment and his comment about Favre DEFINATELY not coming back to GB were not well thought out comments. He has no control on weather Favre comes back

what is he supposed to do. I don't want a QB who doesn't stand up for himself. He put his foot down on the Favre comeback because this is his team now, and I wouldn't want my QB to say anything different.

this is so not that big of a deal.

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh youth! My dad once told me that it's better to keep your mouth shut and let people think your stupid than it is to open your mouth and prove your stupid. This doesn't have anything to do with confidence. It has everything to do with a kid who was feeling some power during this interview and his mouth got away on him. It doesn't make him a bad person or a bad qb, but it just gives people more weapons when things go bad.

I remember Brett Favre talking about retiring a few years ago and Irv got on the radio and told him Brett was talking again without thinking. In other words things like this happen, but Aaron needs to realize that he's going to be walking around in a glass house for the rest of his career.

trippster

Cheesehead
Reaction score
trippster said:

what is he supposed to do. I don't want a QB who doesn't stand up for himself. He put his foot down on the Favre comeback because this is his team now, and I wouldn't want my QB to say anything different.

this is so not that big of a deal.

It is his team as long as MM/TT say it is his team. Should Favre decide to come back and TT/MM want him in the line up then Rodgers statement is a poor one. Since he is not the one to control wether Favre comes back or not, it is not his place to be definitive. That is what I am saying.

they real issue is the "like me or screw you" attitude that his comment portrayed. why make that comment and alienate fans? Thinking it is fine...saying it opens up the hornets nest.

jpigeon

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well now he's the bride. And with that comes a huge amount of responsibility. Not only on the field, but off. Not a good way to begin the marriage. I agree it's not the worst thing anyone could have said as the successor to one of the greatest QB's in the game, but we all know as "Packer" fans what our expectations are, just given the tradition that lives at 1265 "Lombardi" avenue. Hopefully he chooses his words better the next time he opens his mouth. Understand the level of frustration and immense pressure he's dealing with, many of us, when put in the same position, would have probably done the same thing. Lets just hope this is one instance and isn't a recurring story, every other week.

I've been around him over the years, on the sidelines and in the locker room, and I have always had the opinion that he is a somewhat arrogant ***. I hope that part of him isn't starting to surface. If it does it won't be long before he feels the wrath from the fans. Actually, IMO by the 5th game of the season he'll be injured and Brohm will get the reins anyway.

trippster

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh youth! My dad once told me that it's better to keep your mouth shut and let people think your stupid than it is to open your mouth and prove your stupid. This doesn't have anything to do with confidence. It has everything to do with a kid who was feeling some power during this interview and his mouth got away on him. It doesn't make him a bad person or a bad qb, but it just gives people more weapons when things go bad.

I remember Brett Favre talking about retiring a few years ago and Irv got on the radio and told him Brett was talking again without thinking. In other words things like this happen, but Aaron needs to realize that he's going to be walking around in a glass house for the rest of his career.

My dad said essentially the same thing. he would say...

"Tripp, sometimes it is better to remain silent and let people believe you are stupid, then to speak and remove all doubt."

johnny_blood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Aaron is chomping at the bit and ready to kick ***. I am not surprised that some of you are upset, but I really don't understand why.

He has shown character and patience since arriving. Every interview for three years has been about Favre. So he got a little saucy, good for him! He went three years on the bench without one negative comment. Now he's in control and he's just telling the truth.

I like it! He is nothing like Ryan Leaf, on or off the field. That is just ridiculous.

The Packers are HIS team. He doesn't literally mean you have to shut up, obviously. If you aren't on board he doesn't care about what you have to say---and he shouldn't! If you think someone following a HoF QB should overthink everything and be responsive to everyone else's opinions, you're wrong. He should take the team over completely and do it his way. There's going to be an unbelievable amount of fan dissatisfaction when he first struggles, he knows it, and he's saying that he doesn't care what anyone says. It's great.

Aaron obviously likes the fans. Beyond that what does it even mean to care about what the fans think? His game day preparation and play-calling at the line should be influenced by what Joe from Suamico thinks? He should take more checkdowns because of some blog comment he read online? Step aside for Brohm because everyone is complaining about a two game slump? This is all about nothing.

Tiger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
johnny_blood said:
Aaron is chomping at the bit and ready to kick ***. I am not surprised that some of you are upset, but I really don't understand why.

He has shown character and patience since arriving. Every interview for three years has been about Favre. So he got a little saucy, good for him! He went three years on the bench without one negative comment. Now he's in control and he's just telling the truth.

I like it! He is nothing like Ryan Leaf, on or off the field. That is just ridiculous.

The Packers are HIS team. He doesn't literally mean you have to shut up, obviously. If you aren't on board he doesn't care about what you have to say---and he shouldn't! If you think someone following a HoF QB should overthink everything and be responsive to everyone else's opinions, you're wrong. He should take the team over completely and do it his way. There's going to be an unbelievable amount of fan dissatisfaction when he first struggles, he knows it, and he's saying that he doesn't care what anyone says. It's great.

Aaron obviously likes the fans. Beyond that what does it even mean to care about what the fans think? His game day preparation and play-calling at the line should be influenced by what Joe from Suamico thinks? He should take more checkdowns because of some blog comment he read online? Step aside for Brohm because everyone is complaining about a two game slump? This is all about nothing.

ARod is doing a wrestling style Heel turn, he'll show up at training camp with the mullet and handlebar tashe back and be armed with a steel chair to crack some Journo's with that pissed him off. ARod 3:16 has a nice ring to it!

OP
OP
P

PackOne

Cheesehead
Reaction score
jpigeon said:
Actually, IMO by the 5th game of the season he'll be injured and Brohm will get the reins anyway.

This is who Aaron is speaking to. and this is why he said the right thing.

Amen, it seems Aaron is back-tracking a little bit today.

According the The Packer Page Aaron said,

“I love playing in Green Bay. I love the city of Green Bay, said Rodgers. I love playing in a city that expects greatness, expects its players to play at a high level. I love my interaction with the fans, I love being in the community and spending time with them.

“That’s my only regret with this story breaking, that anyone would take offense to what I said. Anything that makes it look like I don’t care about what the fans think about me is off base. That’s the biggest disappointment.”

“The hardest thing today — and I’ve been pretty bummed out, to be honest — is that I honestly care about the fans. I do.”

I believe him.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd expect standard responses from this point out from him.

Is it preseason yet? This has to be the longest offseason in the history of everything.

jpigeon

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree. On with the show. With the supporting cast and the same coaching staff in place, calling plays, a rejuvenated running game to help him out, and an improved defense, why should the Pack take a huge step backwards. He should definitely be ready to run the offense after having studied under Brett. Can't wait for Monday September 8th. What a great way to open. Can't get here soon enough

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree. On with the show. With the supporting cast and the same coaching staff in place, calling plays, a rejuvenated running game to help him out, and an improved defense, why should the Pack take a huge step backwards. He should definitely be ready to run the offense after having studied under Brett. Can't wait for Monday September 8th. What a great way to open. Can't get here soon enough

you mean until week 5 right.

Members online

Latest posts