Aaron Rodgers rated #6 on NFL Networks Top 100

OP
OP
brandon2348

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Rodgers played 3 or 4 games last season that did not qualify him for the top 300. Late in the season he did perform as the #1 overall, but you have to look at all the games. Ranked 6th is generous.

I hope he takes it as a slight and plays with a chip on his shoulder. Seems he is at his best when he feels disrespected.

Generous? Brady didn't even play in 4 games. People have to remember our defense was giving up 30-40 pts a game. I wanna see how many damn games Brady wins having to score 40 pts and throw the ball virtually every down.

Rodgers didn't just play well at the last half of season. He basically carried the team on his back all the way to the NFC Champ game. There were rookie UDFA's all over the field for the Packers and he still won with em. Rodgers was playing at such a high level and needed to be perfect and he was under that kind of pressure. Many people thought he could March into Atlanta and outscore the high octane Falcons in the Champ game with a decimated secondary and receiving corp. The reality is no other player in the league could of done what Rodgers did for Packers last year.

This #6 talk is a joke. He is the best player in the league Period! Nobody past or present can do all the things he can do at the QB position. To sit there and think some of these guys should be ahead of him is delusional.

Edit: And I'm not being a Homer about this because Clay Matthews shouldn't be anywhere near this list which he is.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Generous? Brady didn't even play in 4 games. People have to remember our defense was giving up 30-40 pts a game. I wanna see how many damn games Brady wins having to score 40 pts and throw the ball virtually every down.

Rodgers didn't just play well at the last half of season. He basically carried the team on his back all the way to the NFC Champ game. There were rookie UDFA's all over the field for the Packers and he still won with em. Rodgers was playing at such a high level and needed to be perfect and he was under that kind of pressure. Many people thought he could March into Atlanta and outscore the high octane Falcons in the Champ game with a decimated secondary and receiving corp. The reality is no other player in the league could of done what Rodgers did for Packers last year.

This #6 talk is a joke. He is the best player in the league Period! Nobody past or present can do all the things he can do at the QB position. To sit there and think some of these guys should be ahead of him is delusional.

Edit: And I'm not being a Homer about this because Clay Matthews shouldn't be anywhere near this list which he is.
If he plays poorly in 4 games, misses open receivers, poor passes, and poor decisions - what exactly does that have to do witfh Brady? Or with anyone else on the Packers for that matter?

Why is he not accountable, in your mind, for his poor performances?

Our loss in Atlanta had more to do with having to play our 5th best CB against the hottest WR in the NFL.

OP
OP
brandon2348

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
If he plays poorly in 4 games, misses open receivers, poor passes, and poor decisions - what exactly does that have to do witfh Brady? Or with anyone else on the Packers for that matter?

Why is he not accountable, in your mind, for his poor performances?

Our loss in Atlanta had more to do with having to play our 5th best CB against the hottest WR in the NFL.

When you play such **** poor defense and special teams and can't really run the ball effectively it puts way way to much pressure on no.12 that is impossible to overcome on a every game basis. Rodgers has a bad game like everyone else but this whole thing goes right back to Ted Thompson for not being willing to put the necessary pieces around Rodgers to have a dynasty and be the clear cut #1. Yes, Aaron Rodgers has to overcome Ted Thompson too.

So here we are again. I like what Thompson has done this offseason but the question remains was it enough? Time will tell and if it turns out not to be enough he needs to be gone and get someone that is willing to go all in like Dorsey.

D

Deleted member 6794

I hope he takes it as a slight and plays with a chip on his shoulder. Seems he is at his best when he feels disrespected.

Rodgers was ranked sixth in NFL Network's top 100 last season as well but that didn't result in him performing on an elite level early either.

You continue to completely ignore that Rodgers struggled early in 2016. While he performed at an elite level late in the season he was only ranked 13th in passer rating out of all qualifying quarterbacks after week 11 with the Packers record at 4-6.

OP
OP
brandon2348

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
You continue to completely ignore that Rodgers struggled early in 2016. While he performed at an elite level late in the season he was only ranked 13th in passer rating out of all qualifying quarterbacks after week 11 with the Packers record at 4-6.

Your ignoring the fact that the Packers would of finished 4-12 or maybe 5-11 without Aaron Rodgers. The Pat's went 3-1 without Tom Brady. Could the Packers pull that off? Hell no. Then you throw in Rodgers two performances in the playoffs and it's a slam dunk.

There is no player in the league that means more to there team then Aaron Rodgers does to the Packers. This thing isn't really that hard to figure out that he is easily the best player in the league.

D

Deleted member 6794

Your ignoring the fact that the Packers would of finished 4-12 or maybe 5-11 without Aaron Rodgers. The Pat's went 3-1 without Tom Brady. Could the Packers pull that off? Hell no. Then you throw in Rodgers two performances in the playoffs and it's a slam dunk.

There is no player in the league that means more to there team then Aaron Rodgers does to the Packers. This thing isn't really that hard to figure out that he is easily the best player in the league.

Once again, the list isn't about selecting the most valuable player in the league though but the one others expect to perform at the highest level entering next season.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
brandon2348

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Once again, the list isn't about selecting the most valuable player in the league though.

The list is a bunch of ********. You can take any of these other teams (Pat's, Falcons, Dallas, Seahawks etc etc) and give them the worst ranked pass defense in the league and there not even a playoff team any longer.

You mean to tell me Antonio Brown is a better receiver then Aaron Rodgers is a QB?

This list is a bunch of players voting for there buddies. Have a rap video and paint your cleats and spew all over twitter and you can be rated in NFL's top 100 list. NFL Network has lost there marbles putting this thing out. Thank God these rankings don't mean anything.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
This list is a bunch of players voting for there buddies. Have a rap video and paint your cleats and spew all over twitter and you can be rated in NFL's top 100 list. NFL Network has lost there marbles putting this thing out. Thank God these rankings don't mean anything.
JACKPOT!!! You finally understand. These lists are to fill dead air time and to generate controversy and clicks/eyeballs to their website. Think of things like this by following the Benjamin$.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Fact is, when Rodgers went 0-4 in his midseason slump, if they would have benched him, Hundly would have gone 3-1.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Actually the list is based based on the players projected performance for the next NFL season.

based on the what have you done for me lately scale. how else can you make a projection. rodgers went from 16 to 6 because he had a much better year last year than he did in 2015. dak is high on this year's list based on what he did last year.

D

Deleted member 6794

based on the what have you done for me lately scale. how else can you make a projection. rodgers went from 16 to 6 because he had a much better year last year than he did in 2015. dak is high on this year's list based on what he did last year.

Rodgers finished sixth on the list in 2016 as well.

While it's true players most likely heavily base their rankings on last season's performance that's not what NFL Network is asking them to do. As an example there's no way J.J. Watt should have finished as high as 35th solely because of his play during the 2016 season.

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I didn't watch, which if any QBs were rated higher than him? I would put him #2 in the league at the position right now.

Reaction score
I'm not sure why they would pick a WR over a QB position group in the top 3 but I'd like to offer that the QB position is by far the most valuable position, it is the Queen of the Chessboard moves.
IF I had that list and had to pick 1 player who would perform in 2017 only based on recent performance and career success.. Aaron Rodgers or Matt Ryan. Tom Brady had the luxury of the top Defense in the entire league but his consistent play and leadership put him in the top 5. Put the Patriots Defense on Atlanta or Green Bay's team (or vice versa) and you get completely different results last year.
1. Matt Ryan
2. Aaron Rodgers
3. Tom Brady

I love #12 but last year goes to Matt he had a remarkable season

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
If it makes people feel better, I was in Green Bay a few weeks ago and took a survey......Aaron Rodgers is THE #1 player in the NFL. :coffee:

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Somehow I doubt you would be saying that if you were a Patriots fan. I'm guessing you think he should have won the MVP last season as well. Its great to support your team and all but to say he is easily the best player in the league is the epitome of homer thinking.

D

Deleted member 6794

I didn't watch, which if any QBs were rated higher than him? I would put him #2 in the league at the position right now.

Brady was the only qarterback ranked ahead of Rodgers. The other players were Von Miller, Julio Jones, Antonio Brown and Khalil Mack.

OP
OP
brandon2348

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Somehow I doubt you would be saying that if you were a Patriots fan. I'm guessing you think he should have won the MVP last season as well. Its great to support your team and all but to say he is easily the best player in the league is the epitome of homer thinking.

I just don't think Rodgers is the best in the game right now but I believe he might be the best ever to play the game at the QB position. I posted earlier I didn't feel Clay Matthews should be anywhere near that list which he was so not so sure about the "Homer thinking".

The reality is that this Packer team hasn't been all that good the last couple years and Rodgers has had to overcome a lot. Give Rodgers Gronk and Bennett and Edelman and Blount and a great defense etc etc and he would become unbeatable. The playing field isn't level and that's because of Ted Thompson. Everyone gets hurt because of his ways. And once again I will mention we are 20 plus million under the cap trying to win a Super Bowl with rookies ultimately having to play major roles successfully to end the season in Glory.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Maybe I am a bit biased, but I look at that list and about the only guy I see other than Rodgers that a team absolutely would fail without, is Tom Brady and even the Patriots seemed to survive without the mighty Brady. Packers go from a 10-6 team to maybe a 3-13 team without #12.
Patriots were 3-1 without Brady, and won a game with the backup's backup under center.

It would be scary to see what Rodgers would do with Belichick.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Rodgers played 3 or 4 games last season that did not qualify him for the top 300. Late in the season he did perform as the #1 overall, but you have to look at all the games. Ranked 6th is generous.

I'm sure you were being a bit facetious, but I would love to know what "3 or 4 games" he played last year wouldn't qualify him for the top 300. :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

H

HardRightEdge

You mean to tell me that someone would actually take Antonio Brown over Aaron Rodgers? How disrespectful.
Well, what constitutes "best"? What scoring criteria does NFL Films give the players? From what I can tell, it's nothing other than list the "20 best" in your opinion with 20 points assigned to #1, 19 to #2, etc., and then they add up the scores.

What does "best" even mean? Since that is left to the imagination, consider some possibilities that might float through a voter's mind:

1) If you threw all of the players in a pot and held a redraft of the entire league, the first 10 guys, maybe more, coming off the board would be QBs. Given the age difference between Brady and Rodgers, you expect Rodgers to be first off the board. This is clearly not the criteria used by most voters.

2) Is the vote based on a 2016 All Pro-type criteria? J.J. Watt thinks it should be. He thinks it's a joke that he's on the list at #35 considering he did not play. A sufficient number of voters obviously thinks they are voting for something else.

3) In some respects it kinda sorta looks like a comparison of All Pro vote counts. Did the 4 non-QBs ahead of Rodgers on the list perform at their positions better than Rodgers did as a QB? That's plausible. However, if that were actually the criteria, the top 10 would track closer to the number of All Pro votes in something like this order:

1. (tie) J. Tucker - 50 votes
1. (tie) T. Hill - 50 votes
3. B. Wagner - 48 votes
4. (tie) A. Donald - 47 votes
4. (tie) Osemele - 47 votes
4. (tie) V. Miller - 47 votes
4. (tee) E. Elliott - 47 votes
4. (tie) L. Collins - 47 votes
9. K. Mack - 46 votes
10. T. Kelce - 44 votes

Clearly, position value carries weight in the minds of voters...offensive skill position and edge rushers draw more votes. But that's an unclear influence since the top 10 are not QBs.

4) It's called the "2017" list. Is this supposed to be a projection of who will kill it in 2017? This would take into account a lot of factors including the body of work. Those who voted for Watt might thinks so; the ones who did not evidently did not. And if that were the case, then the rookie class should be included. Janis will break out this year...I have him at #100. ;)

The criteria questions above are unanswered. Evidently all of these possibilities are left open to the voters' imaginations.

Further, are the players the best to judge? Only about 30% even submitted a ballot in 2013. I don't know the current participation rate, but Connor Barwin tweeted, to paraphrase, "everybody knows the players don't vote, right?" Most players (1) don't think the exercise is worth the time or (2) they rightly believe they are not qualified since they have not played with, against or even seen on TV most of the players in the league or (3) they don't believe such lists have validity or (4) like me, they may believe without stated criteria the result is a junky mish-mash.

In the final analysis, this kind of vote is kinda like taking a poll asking folks, "what's the best food"? Is that the food you like to eat most often (pizza?), the food you think is best for you (a plate of organic fruits and vegetables?), the food that provides the basic nutrition for the most people on planet earth (rice? wheat bread?).

NFL Films would be better served to license the All Pro list from the AP or from somebody like PFF where there is some clear criteria on which the list is based and throw in some player commentary for entertainment value. Of course, the problem with that is you end up talking more about boring punters, offensive linemen, DTs, ILBs, safeties.

Watching Bobby Wagner closing on a slant route or running sideline to sideline and blowing up a sweep doesn't quite communicate the leadership and performance glue that liberates play makers to make plays. Boooooooring!

C'est la vie.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Well, what constitutes "best"? What scoring criteria does NFL Films give the players? From what I can tell, it's nothing other than list the "20 best" in your opinion with 20 points assigned to #1, 19 to #2, etc., and then they add up the scores.

What does "best" even mean? Since that is left to the imagination, consider some possibilities that might float through a voter's mind:

1) If you threw all of the players in a pot and held a redraft of the entire league, the first 10 guys, maybe more, coming off the board would be QBs. Given the age difference between Brady and Rodgers, you expect Rodgers to be first off the board. This is clearly not the criteria used by most voters.

2) Is the vote based on a 2016 All Pro-type criteria? J.J. Watt thinks it should be. He thinks it's a joke that he's on the list at #35 considering he did not play. A sufficient number of voters obviously thinks they are voting for something else.

3) In some respects it kinda sorta looks like a comparison of All Pro vote counts. Did the 4 non-QBs ahead of Rodgers on the list perform at their positions better than Rodgers did as a QB? That's plausible. However, if that were actually the criteria, the top 10 would track closer to the number of All Pro votes in something like this order:

1. (tie) J. Tucker - 50 votes
1. (tie) T. Hill - 50 votes
3. B. Wagner - 48 votes
4. (tie) A. Donald - 47 votes
4. (tie) Osemele - 47 votes
4. (tie) V. Miller - 47 votes
4. (tee) E. Elliott - 47 votes
4. (tie) L. Collins - 47 votes
9. K. Mack - 46 votes
10. T. Kelce - 44 votes

Clearly, position value carries weight in the minds of voters...offensive skill position and edge rushers get an edge. But that's an unclear influence since the top 10 are not QBs.

4) It's called the "2017" list. Is this supposed to be projection of who will kill it in 2017? This would take into account a lot of factors including the body of work. Those who voted for Watt might thinks so; the ones who did not evidently did not. And if that were the case, then the rookie class should be included.

The criteria questions above are unanswered. Evidently all of these possibilities are left open to the voters' imaginations.

Further, are the players the best to judge? Only about 30% even submitted a ballot in 2013. I don't know the current participation rate, but Connor Barwin tweeted, to paraphrase, "everybody knows the players don't vote, right?" Most players (1) don't think the exercise is worth the time or (2) they rightly believe they are not qualified since they have not played with, against or even seen on TV most of the players in the league or (3) they don't believe such lists have validity or (4) like me, they maybe believe without state criteria the result is a junk mish-mash.

In the final analysis, this kind of vote is kinda like taking a poll asking folks, "what's the best food"? Is that the food you like to eat most often (pizza?), the food you think is best for you (a plate of organic fruits and vegetables?), the food that provides the basic nutrition for the most people on planet earth (rice? wheat bread?).

NFL Films would be better served to license the All Pro list from the AP or from somebody like PFF where there is some clear criteria on which the list is based and throw in some player commentary for entertainment value. Of course, the problem with that is you end up talking more about boring punters, offensive linemen, DTs, ILBs, safeties.

Watching Bobby Wagner closing on a slant route or running sideline to sideline and blowing up a sweep doesn't quite communicate the leadership and performance glue that liberates play makers to make plays. Boooooooring!

C'est la vie.

So what you are saying here is.......the vote isn't an exact science? ;)

Personally, I prefer the "What player has the hottest wife/GF" poles, at least I get some satisfaction viewing those lists! :D

H

HardRightEdge

Personally, I prefer the "What player has the hottest wife/GF" poles, at least I get some satisfaction viewing those lists! :D
WARNING: Politically incorrect content!

You mean, like, which gals would look best on a stripper pole? ;) You might want to factor in athletic backgrounds.

I'd get some satisfaction in watching the competition a lot more than seeing a list.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
WARNING: Politically incorrect content!

You mean, like, which gals would look best on a stripper pole? ;) You might want to factor in athletic backgrounds.

I'd get some satisfaction in watching the competition a lot more than the list.

I almost said "at least I get some satisfaction viewing those poles", but I quickly edited it, knowing that statement would open up a whole can of worms!

Staff online

Members online