Aaron Rodgers MVP

OP
OP
S

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Brady's main job was to not **** it up.
I think it was heck of a lot more than that. Brady was more than capable of taking the team on his back and winning the game. Saying his job was to not F it up is severely making light of his accomplishments.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sort of yeah. When Favre lost a lead or made a bad play he shook it off, fired up his teammates and went back to work. When the same happens to Rodgers he looks dejected and scared and goes into his shell. That, or he yells at the defense to "Get the F___ing ball back!" and then does nothing with it when they do, twice.

Other than that, Favre's mentality when it was crunch time is he would look at a play and say to himself, "I think there's a good chance of scoring on this throw." and he took the chance. Rodgers' mentality is, "I think there's a chance of an INT if I try this throw, so I think I'll just take the sack." Gotta protect that passer rating!
That explains it very well. There is playing to win and playing not to lose. But more than that is playing so YOU do not lose. Bart Starr was thought to be fundamentally as cautious an careful as a QB could be and never flashy. But yet at crunch time or when it was needed he did not hesitate to push the button and he was very successful at motivating the rest of those in the huddle. With a Packer team that prided itself in the run game during that era I was shocked as much as the rest of the football world when Starr would go play action and throw long on 3rd and short and even 4th and short. Now his gunslinger contemporary, John Unitas, was known to do just that. Rodgers should have taken command in the 9er game. He had what he needed to at least put up another 7 points. His defense played great. He had the home field advantage he complained about. And he had the extra week off that the 9ers did not. Albeit special teams gave Frisco 10 and cost us 3. He only needed one more TD. And he could only get us 10 points in Lambeau.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it was heck of a lot more than that. Brady was more than capable of taking the team on his back and winning the game. Saying his job was to not F it up is severely making light of his accomplishments.
Yes. He certainly did. It was common for Brady to come to the sideline and start yelling and screaming on a rare occasion when his team was struggling to move the football. Even in that 26-21 loss to Rodgers and the Packers in 2014 he was so demonstrative in that he wanted to get the ball back for one more shot. Leaders on football teams have to send a message. I know I can never forget before that final drive of the Ice Bowl when Ray Nitschke hollered to the offense on the field. " Don't let me down. " And then he reiterated. " Don't let me down! "

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Put Rodgers on either of their teams, tell me, are they better?

THIS TEAM, the PACKERS, they aren't better with a lesser QB. Some disagree apparently. If you think THIS team is better with a QB not at an MVP level, then by all means tell us why
Fans talking like this are either weary of his play in the postseason or have no use for him because of events last summer.

OP
OP
S

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It won't be that bad, not if MLF and Gute are as good as people on this forum say they are.
And with Free agency team makeup can change much quicker than it did back then. Favre helped bring us out of those doldrums but the signing of Reggie White helped just as much. We won't be in cap hell forever.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That explains it very well. There is playing to win and playing not to lose. But more than that is playing so YOU do not lose.
This has crossed my mind more than a few times. But it is what it is. Let's face it, Rodgers greatness is tied to how few interceptions he throws. That said:

Congratulations to Rodgers for his fourth MVP. I'm a little surprised he got the votes, knowing the sports media and how Rodgers didn't get the vax.

Reaction score
But he played most of his career for arguably maybe the greatest coach in NFL history.
Yes. Brady was not responsible for 19 top #10 defenses in 22 years.
I don’t know but I’m going to guess that in a hypothetical scenario if you switched QBs (Rodgers n Brady) You’d have drastically different results.
Brady might still play big in big games, but he wouldn’t have more than 2 SB rings (best case) with these Packers teams in the exact same time frame Rodgers had.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes. Brady was not responsible for 19 top #10 defenses in 22 years.
I don’t know but I’m going to guess that in a hypothetical scenario if you switched QBs (Rodgers n Brady) You’d have drastically different results.
Brady might still play big in big games, but he wouldn’t have more than 2 SB rings (best case) with these Packers teams in the exact same time frame Rodgers had.
And Rodgers would have how many 11. Thats the usual argument you get from the Rodgers is better than Brady crowd.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's impossible to know, once you start flipping over the dominoes in these alternate dimensions, the butterfly effect and all. Brady might not have even had a long career, who can say?

It's such an interesting question though. How would Rodgers have responded to being coached by Belichick, or Josh McDaniels? Maybe Rodgers gets fed up with Belichick long before Brady did and leaves for another team. Maybe Green Bay, where he wins three Super Bowls just to spite Belichick.

realitybytez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
More over rated than brett?
definitely not. and here's why: breet favre had one major opportunity that aaron rodgers did not have. after brett won his first super bowl, the hype was overwhelming that the combo of favre and holmgren and wolf were going to be the next dynasty of the nfl. and sure enough, brett got back to the super bowl the very next year. after brett lost the super bowl, wolf stated that his lone 1996 super bowl victory was a "fart in the wind," a one-and-done that frustrated him and the work he had put into building a team. i say "brett lost the super bowl" because most people seem to think that super bowl wins is a qb stat. rodgers has won 100% of the super bowls he has played in. favre won 50%.

honestly, brett was easily the most over rated packers qb, and i say that as one of his biggest fans. brett was also more of a diva than aaron. he insisted on having his own private locker room. didn't want to be in the same room with all of his teammates.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
definitely not. and here's why: breet favre had one major opportunity that aaron rodgers did not have. after brett won his first super bowl, the hype was overwhelming that the combo of favre and holmgren and wolf were going to be the next dynasty of the nfl. and sure enough, brett got back to the super bowl the very next year. after brett lost the super bowl, wolf stated that his lone 1996 super bowl victory was a "fart in the wind," a one-and-done that frustrated him and the work he had put into building a team. i say "brett lost the super bowl" because most people seem to think that super bowl wins is a qb stat. rodgers has won 100% of the super bowls he has played in. favre won 50%.

honestly, brett was easily the most over rated packers qb, and i say that as one of his biggest fans. brett was also more of a diva than aaron. he insisted on having his own private locker room. didn't want to be in the same room with all of his teammates.
I too am a Brett fan but he was a diva. I can't imagine AR ever saying out loud he would want to go to a divisional rival to stick it to GB. Rodgers' acceptance speech the other night was very nice and not diva like at all.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
definitely not. and here's why: breet favre had one major opportunity that aaron rodgers did not have. after brett won his first super bowl, the hype was overwhelming that the combo of favre and holmgren and wolf were going to be the next dynasty of the nfl.
To be fair, most teams who win a Super Bowl are proclaimed to be a dynasty in the making. Usually it doesn't come to pass. And star quarterbacks who win a Super Bowl while they are young are predicted to win a multitude in the future. And that doesn't always come to pass either.

Favre has appeared in one more Super Bowl than Rodgers, and Rodgers has had four chances to get back there. I mark that as a credit to Favre, not a deduction. In Super Bowl 32, I always thought that Denver team was underrated, even before the game - I expected to win, but I was very concerned. They looked very evenly matched, and the game showed that to be true.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To be fair, most teams who win a Super Bowl are proclaimed to be a dynasty in the making. Usually it doesn't come to pass. And star quarterbacks who win a Super Bowl while they are young are predicted to win a multitude in the future. And that doesn't always come to pass either.

Favre has appeared in one more Super Bowl than Rodgers, and Rodgers has had four chances to get back there. I mark that as a credit to Favre, not a deduction. In Super Bowl 32, I always thought that Denver team was underrated, even before the game - I expected to win, but I was very concerned. They looked very evenly matched, and the game showed that to be true.
And Shanahan outcoached Holmgren that game. 2 first half Packer turnovers proved to be the difference. Brett got to the NFC championship game 4 times in GB and once in Minny. Rodgers has been to 5 unless you count when he was a bench warmer in 2007.

realitybytez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To be fair, most teams who win a Super Bowl are proclaimed to be a dynasty in the making. Usually it doesn't come to pass.
true, but favre had a rare opportunity with a return trip to the super bowl the year after a super bowl victory. he had most of the same talent around him, and the same head coach. and i know it wasn't all brett's fault that the packers lost, just as aaron did not singlehandedly lose all those nfcc games. but a truly elite qb should have been able to lift the team in such a close game. to his credit, he did manage to tie the score late in the game and was let down by the defense. again.

chucktownsteeler

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hey Pack buddies! Just visiting to see everyone’s thoughts on Rodgers? Do you want him back? How much does he have left in the tank?

Packerbacker1996

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sort of yeah. When Favre lost a lead or made a bad play he shook it off, fired up his teammates and went back to work. When the same happens to Rodgers he looks dejected and scared and goes into his shell. That, or he yells at the defense to "Get the F___ing ball back!" and then does nothing with it when they do, twice.

Other than that, Favre's mentality when it was crunch time is he would look at a play and say to himself, "I think there's a good chance of scoring on this throw." and he took the chance. Rodgers' mentality is, "I think there's a chance of an INT if I try this throw, so I think I'll just take the sack." Gotta protect that passer rating!
I got to agree with you here.
I think part of the issue might be that he isn't willing to take some more calculated risks.
And playing in playoffs vs much better teams you need to be able to do that to create opportunities for yourself and your team even when there aren't any.

That may be and I say may be the greatest weakness of Rodgers.

That said if that is the case then the HC QBC and OC have failed to do there job for the last 10 years correcting this behavior.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hey Pack buddies! Just visiting to see everyone’s thoughts on Rodgers? Do you want him back? How much does he have left in the tank?
For my part, I would like to see Rodgers finish his career in Green Bay, even though it seems unlikely we get another Super Bowl out of it. It seems unlikely we get one without him too. Maybe it's nostalgic of me, but I'd like to see him stay with us as a nod to the days when great players stayed with one team. Just the way I feel about it, I can understand the guys who want to go ahead and rebuild too.

Now if Rodgers wants to leave, or we end up not being able to work that out, then I'm at peace with that too. But I'd prefer we find a way to keep him, and hopefully Adams too, somehow.

Members online

Latest posts