Aaron Rodgers Looks Bad, Carroll Picked Off His 3rd In OTAs.

PackerLegend

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Backup quarterback Aaron Rodgers might look better than he did as a rookie, but he has been spotty at best in the 11 OTA practices held so far. Once again on Friday, he failed to move the offense in a two-minute drill. With Brett Favre absent, Rodgers ran the No. 1 offense and threw an interception on his fourth pass. The pass was picked off by cornerback Ahmad Carroll, who was in zone coverage and made a leaping catch inside the hash-marks. It was Carroll’s third interception in the OTAs. Rodgers was 1-of-4 in the two-minute drill, his lone completion a 3-yard pass to running back Noah Herron. Rookie quarterback Ingle Martin also was intercepted on his fourth pass at his turn in the two-minute drill. He threw an out to wide receiver Ruvell Martin that was intercepted by cornerback Jerron Wishom. It was Wishom’s second interception of the OTAs. Ingle Martin was 2-of-4 in the drill with two short completions to running back Samkon Gado and tight end Donald Lee.

Rodgers didn’t fare much better in the 7-on-7 period. He was 2-of-6, although rookie receiver Calvin Russell could have scooped a low pass for another reception. In the 7-on-7 red zone period, Rodgers was 2-of-4.

First-round draft pick A.J. Hawk’s athletic ability is apparent at times, coming off the edge, closing to the ball, etc. But if there is such a thing as a “Welcome to the NFL Moment’’ in a non-contact, voluntary practice in June, Hawk experienced one on a reverse in the first team session. Right tackle Mark Tauscher locked onto Hawk and ran him halfway across the field. If the truth be told, Hawk still hasn’t shed the block.

With a strong wind at their backs, Dave Rayner was 2-of-3 and Billy Cundiff, 2-of-4, in a field goal drill. Rayner connected from 58 and 46 yards, and missed from 53. Cundiff was good from 53 and 46, and missed twice from 58. On one of Cundiff’s misses, he hit the left crossbar.

Punters Jon Ryan and B.J. Sander did all the holding, but coach Mike McCarthy said the quarterbacks were still in the mix as holder candidates.

With Chris White observing practice with a shoulder injury, Pete Traynor worked at center and Wayne Lucier at left guard with the No. 2 offense. Lucier played two years with the New York Giants. Traynor is a former Arena2 and NFL Europe player. Both players are guards/centers.

Herron dropped another easy pass that was right in his mitts in the 7-on-7 red-zone session. … Ruvell Martin also had a drop in 7-on-7.

Former NFL quarterback Rich Gannon spent about 45 minutes talking to the Packers’ young quarterbacks in a meeting Friday morning and also did some tutoring on the field. Gannon played under McCarthy at Kansas City from 1995-’98 and is scheduled to work the Packers’ local pre-season broadcasts as an announcer.

The Packers’ offensive and defensive linemen are doing more conditioning work than in recent years and probably less one-on-one pass blocking and pass rushing. Twice a week, the linemen finish practice by running wind sprints. The other two days, they do one-on-ones.

Rookie wide receiver Greg Jennings missed practice. Free agent linebacker Tim Goodwell returned to practice.

PackerChick

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope he lives up to his hype in the regular season too. He need more practice.

Hey Trom, I like you picture of the cat. I have a cat too.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Re: Aaron Rodgers Looks Bad, Carroll Picked Off His 3rd In O

thetombradyhater said:
From A-rod's performance i am really glad Lord Favre came back

Yeah, looks like there is a reason McCarthy said he wasn't "sold on" Rodgers a couple months ago. But it is early, and he is playing against the #1 defense, which has done nothing but make plays in camps this offseason(Including one Ahmad Carroll).

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score

The kid still might turn out OK.
I'm just not happy we got rid of Nall. He looked pretty darn good when he had a chance to play.

thetombradyhater

Cheesehead
Reaction score
<a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?q=42.957176+-
I didn't say that he might never be good, i think he will in a fw years. I don't think it was that bad that we lost Nall it would have been if Favre retired but since returned it doesn'tt really matter. If Favre retires at the end of this season and if we hade resigned Nall, by next season Rodgers should hopefully be almost as good as Nall if not better so its not really that big of a loss in my opinion.

Lare

Cheesehead
Reaction score

PackerLegend, in all fairness you should mention the fact that you just cut and pasted Cliff Christl's blog from Friday's practice. Christl has never once said anything good about Rodgers. If he goes 5-for-7, Cliffy will only mention the 2 incompletions.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Good to see one 1st round bust helping the other out. :D :wink:

Hopefully Carroll can thrive as a nickel back. I've always thought of him as a nickel or dime back. Never as a starter.

Also it'll do Rodgers good to sit a year but sooner or later he needs to step up. I guess McCarthy told Rodgers to push Favre this season. I'm not sure if he's up to that.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score

porky88 said:
Hopefully Carroll can thrive as a nickel back. I've always thought of him as a nickel or dime back. Never as a starter.

unfortunately the last 2 years were disastrous in the defensive backfield because Shermhead didn't see it your way (which I agree).

I woulda liked him start as a nickel\dimer his first couple years, and posibly move into a starting role THIS year, but yeah...that didnt happen cuz sherman decided not to.

Go Carroll!

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I think Rodgers will be OK. But we really won't know till he is needed in a REAL game. Hopefully that won't be for another two seasons or so.

Lare

Cheesehead
Reaction score

We won't know how Rodgers will ever do until he gets out of the shadow of everyone's idol.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score

Lare said:
We won't know how Rodgers will ever do until he gets out of the shadow of everyone's idol.

Why is Rodgers in the shadow of Dale Earnhardt Sr and Barry Sanders? He's not a race car driver nor a running back.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Zero2Cool said:
Lare said:

Why is Rodgers in the shadow of Dale Earnhardt Sr and Barry Sanders? He's not a race car driver nor a running back.

He is in the shadow of Jerry Rice?

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Zero2Cool said:
Lare said:

I'm PRETTY sure he means Favre. :roll:

pack4life

Cheesehead
Reaction score

cheesey said:
Zero2Cool said:
Lare said:

i think they were making a joke

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score

cheesey said:
Zero2Cool said:
Lare said:

why didn't he say that then? He's not everyones idol. What gives him the right to declare who's whos idol? I'm extremely offended. So are my ACTUAL idols. In fact they keep sending me e-mails saying ... well lets jus say they are not happy.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score

pack4life said:
cheesey said:
Zero2Cool said:
Lare said:

i think they were making a joke
(So was I!!!)LOLOLOL!!! :lol:

Adrenaline

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I sure hope at this time next year were talking about someone else taking over for Favre when he retires. I'm crossing my fingers the same way I did when I was hoping Favre whould play this season.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope Rodgers does eventually pan out. It's not good to hear that Christl doesn't like him, but who knows, sometimes journalists develop biases against certain players, and then they stick to it. I notice that Christl doesn't say anything about Rodgers throwing the ball poorly or making bad decisions. He just gives us stats. And from what I've been hearing, the defense has been outplaying the offense pretty consistently in practice, regardless of who is playing QB.

Popcorn

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Well you guys did have the #1 Passing Defense last year I think. its just OTAs, cut him some slack.

Members online

Latest posts