Aaron Rodgers hard count, dead play?

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is a very complex issue, not one that can be understood behind a mic. You have to look at the opposing defense and understand that when Rodgers is beating you to death on offense, it places defenders on edge and those defenders are always looking to get a jump, to anticipate the snap so that maybe, just maybe, they can get to Rodgers. AR knows that. Mike McCarthy knows that. Linsley knows that. They know that when you have a guy so eager to fire off and get to the best QB in the league, that usually a hard count will send him across the line. AR does it game in and game out.

So to answer your question yes GB gets more free plays than any team in the league, however there isn't another team that is more conditioned to having a DL on edge. A DL jumping offside to the other 31 teams in the league usually results in finger pointing. Not to a very disciplined GB offense. To GB, it's just another play in playbook.

I have gone back and watched those hard count/ offsides penalties, Linsley's snap appears to be instantaneous with the OL movement on each one.

828Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have gone back and watched those hard count/ offsides penalties, Linsley's snap appears to be instantaneous with the OL movement on each one.

No doubt. Like I said, the entire offense is conditioned for this. They know when they have guys eager to get a jump on the ball.

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score

Hadn't really thought about it until now, but guess some of the credit needs to go to Linsley as well!

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This entire offense deserves credit, I mean yes, I do give a lot to Rodgers for recognizing when and how to change it, but without a center being in synch to snap at the correct time and the linemen on either side of him not moving too soon none of this matters. Even the TE's and WR's deserve some credit. This stuff doesn't just happen. It shows incredible discipline across that line.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
The difference is whether he has contact with the offensive player.

Offside is a defensive player moves across line of Scrimmage but has no contact with offensive player. Play continues.
Encroachment is when defensive player across line of Scrimmage but comes into contact with offensive player. Dead ball.
Unless and offensive player moves. Then it should be blown dead.

under the NFL's Rule 7, Article 4(b), it is a neutral zone infraction when

a defender enters the neutral zone prior to the snap, causing the offensive player(s) in close proximity (including a quarterback who is under center) to react (move) immediately to protect himself (themselves) against impending contact; officials are to blow their whistles immediately.

Illustrative example A.R. 7.22 addresses the situation as well:
Second-and-10 on B30. Defensive tackle B1’s initial charge into neutral zone makes offensive guard A1 directly across from him flinch and draw back.
Ruling: Blow the whistle immediately. Penalize B1 for a neutral zone infraction. A’s ball second-and-5 on B25.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
and if the ball is snapped at relatively the same time, unless the defender has passed the line and has a direct shot at the qb, they let the play run. Just like if they snap the ball about the same time the play clock hits zero they don't call delay of game, and just like they let some touching, grabbing and shoving happen beyond 5 yards if it isn't flagrant or directly affecting the play, and they allow holding if your hands stay within the framework of the body and all other sorts of judgement calls.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
More and more teams are taking note of Rodgers and the Packers use of this situation and practicing it as well. The good news is it really helps hold the D lineman in their stances for a bit longer, so even if Rodgers can't get them to jump, you will notice hesitation to some extent on the defense with their rush, making sure the ball is actually snapped.

But this and Rodgers ability to catch the defense with 12 men, is just another example of how he has mastered this game, giving him yet another edge on most teams.

Pack-12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's gone the other way before too. They have blown plays dead on him that they could have let go and given a free play. It's usually bang bang on whether to let it go or not. All the people screaming it's preferential treatment are just sour grapes.

AFan77

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bahk jumped when the D jumped but they probably determined it was simultaneous with the snap. It was close.

I don't think there's any preferential treatment to Rodgers on this. When the offense jumps before the snap after the D jumps into the neutral zone, or when the defense jumps and is unabated to the quarterback, or when a defender makes contact with an offensive player, the play is blown dead. Otherwise, it's a free play. I haven't seen indications that they've been violating this for Rodgers. He draws many more offsides and neutral zone infractions than most QBs so of course he gets more free plays.

This.

And credit your Olinemen for continuing to block and not simply standing around pointing. What ****** me off is that the niners' Brooks constantly jumps offsides, but then he just stops running and gives up on the play. We have been burned multiple times by this, but he never learns.

Members online

Latest posts