Aaron Rodgers Fumbling Problems

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just watching some film here, and this thought occurred to me:
One of our biggest problems in big games has been Rodgers fumbling the ball away.

He lost the one in OT to lose the Arizona game.
He lost the one at the goalline at Atlanta, which proved fatal in a big game.
He lost one at Philly last week in the playoffs, which almost led to us eventually losing that game.

We've all gotten pissed off at James Jones for his drops, and his fumbles against the Bears a couple of times. But Rodgers has to make sure he doesn't fumble the ball away.

We need M-Ice to cough one up to us to make it even, and hopefully it's one of their few times they enter our red zone.

Sandmire33

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why should packer fans complain about Rodgers Fumbling problems, We put up with tons of interceptions from Favre in big games for years and everyone thought it was okay. Rodgers is an upgrade from Favre on turnovers. All players make mistakes, but Rodgers seems to make a lot less.... hey he could throw 6 picks in a playoff game..

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why should packer fans complain about Rodgers Fumbling problems, We put up with tons of interceptions from Favre in big games for years and everyone thought it was okay. Rodgers is an upgrade from Favre on turnovers. All players make mistakes, but Rodgers seems to make a lot less.... hey he could throw 6 picks in a playoff game..
Right, Favre's Ints kept us from getting to, or winning, 3 or 4 more Super Bowls probably.

But we need to pray/hope that Rodgers fumbles stop in big games.

Those 3 examples I listed are 3 of the biggest games he has ever played in. We can't have that and still beat great teams.
And I love Rodgers and hate Favre. I have personal connections to the Rodgers' family and am #1 in his corner, have been since he was at Cal.

But the stat of his record in close games is BS, but these 3 fumbles.... the one cost us the Cardinals game and the one in Atlanta probably cost us that game. We can't have that in games against great teams. That's all I'm saying. Let's hope this is not an issue ever again!

IluvGB

I <3 Packers!!!!
Reaction score
Those 3 examples I listed are 3 of the biggest games he has ever played in. We can't have that and still beat great teams.
And I love Rodgers and hate Favre. I have personal connections to the Rodgers' family and am #1 in his corner, have been since he was at Cal.

I chalked those up to nerves, and it seems as though he's getting ahold of those lately eh??
Maybe I'm just hoping,..but thats they way it seems to me anyways.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just watching some film here, and this thought occurred to me:
One of our biggest problems in big games has been Rodgers fumbling the ball away.

He lost the one in OT to lose the Arizona game.
He lost the one at the goalline at Atlanta, which proved fatal in a big game.
He lost one at Philly last week in the playoffs, which almost led to us eventually losing that game.

We've all gotten pissed off at James Jones for his drops, and his fumbles against the Bears a couple of times. But Rodgers has to make sure he doesn't fumble the ball away.

We need M-Ice to cough one up to us to make it even, and hopefully it's one of their few times they enter our red zone.

Did you see our Defense in the AZ game? That was the problem.
He should have never been trying to punch it in at atl, I blame playcalling.
We didnt lose the philly game and he threw 3 tds. If your complaining about the fumbles you should also be giving blame to the O line.

red4tribe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He seems to have fumbled more as the season went on. Granted, most quarterbacks fumble often enough, but it would still be nice for him not to fumble. I think the problem is a lot of them time he is running around, trying to buy time for the WR's to get open, and as he does he leaves himself more at risk to get the ball knocked out of his hands.

IluvGB

I <3 Packers!!!!
Reaction score
I think he's been able to get rid of the ball sooner this year,.. but then again, someone who keeps track of the stats will probably prove me wrong!:derisive:

L

Lunchboxer

The Problem with the Playoff game agianst the cards is that our D played like **** that game. And Arron Rodgers pulled us back and almost won the game. Also it was not arrons problem that the Oline sucked too that game.

ClayMatthews

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Aaron really hasn't fumbled at all this year, and if I remember correctly Aaron was facemasked which caused him to fumble, and the O-line sucked and the defense was non-existent in the Cards game. The drops are the main problem still.

Reaction score
ok I understand what you're saying but that one at Arizona doesnt even count, the defense usually loses the games for the Pack,Aaron Rodgers sometimes seems like he is the only one that wants to play, heputs the team on his back, there is a method to his madness of holding the ball to long, and if i got hit or blindsided by a 280+ pounder I would probably fumble too haha

dbain21

Chicagoland Packer Fan
Reaction score
I just look at it this way...For the few mistakes he has made, he makes up for it in droves. Those are some big games that he fumbled in, but the ones that were lost could've easily been wins if some other phase of the game other than A-rod doesn't make one or many mistakes.

Packrat12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He said he needs to not fumble, so im cool as long as he knows it.

I second that. When he spoke to the media both yesterday and Sunday he said he had a critical fumble. He took the blame, as he should. I believe he will come out more focused in Atlanta. He works very hard but mistakes still happen. As long as he can take responsibility and do the necessary things to correct them, I believe we should get off his back. He will come up big 9 out of 10 times, and if the rest of the team has the same average, we will have some mistakes, but we can't be stopped.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He said he needs to not fumble, so im cool as long as he knows it.

I second that. When he spoke to the media both yesterday and Sunday he said he had a critical fumble. He took the blame, as he should. I believe he will come out more focused in Atlanta. He works very hard but mistakes still happen. As long as he can take responsibility and do the necessary things to correct them, I believe we should get off his back. He will come up big 9 out of 10 times, and if the rest of the team has the same average, we will have some mistakes, but we can't be stopped.
Exactly.
Let's focus on the positive instead of the negative.

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
I understand your concern and agree-- let's hope fumbling doesn't become his Achille's heel.

However, I attribute the fumble in the Arizona game to his head being ****** by a facemask that wasn't called.

I also consider the fumble at the goal line as a risk that the coach took by sending his QB into the thick of the pile. Wasn't it twice in a row? Fullbacks have been known to fumble on the goal line under these circumstances. It's a calculated risk and it bit us on this play. Don't consider it a stupid or thoughtless action by Rodgers at any rate. Just happens.

And last Sunday's fumble didn't cost us the game luckily.

Excuses, yes. But, really, the fumbles don't register as a realistic problem area to me yet.

red4tribe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I understand your concern and agree-- let's hope fumbling doesn't become his Achille's heel.

However, I attribute the fumble in the Arizona game to his head being ****** by a facemask that wasn't called.

I also consider the fumble at the goal line as a risk that the coach took by sending his QB into the thick of the pile. Wasn't it twice in a row? Fullbacks have been known to fumble on the goal line under these circumstances. It's a calculated risk and it bit us on this play. Don't consider it a stupid or thoughtless action by Rodgers at any rate. Just happens.

And last Sunday's fumble didn't cost us the game luckily.

Excuses, yes. But, really, the fumbles don't register as a realistic problem area to me yet.

If you look at the replay of the fumble in the Cardinals game the ball clearly comes out before the facemask is grabbed.

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
I accept that the facemask occurred after the ball was loose, but it was before any recovery. Hence the facemask penalty would have nullified the change of possession. This has been debated a bunch long ago- sorry to bring it back up.

As others have said, Rodgers accepts the responsibility and is focused on it. It is refreshing to see a QB NOT blame others. Another reason to like this guy, if needed.

PackersFan28

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I understand that he had those turnovers, but he hasn't had many others besides those. I am fine with the way he handles the ball although I'd obviously want him to never fumble in a perfect world.

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
#1- The fumble to end the season last year in Arizona... yes that should have been a penalty for a facemask. Clearly.
No, it did not cause the fumble though... it was the little DB hitting Rodgers hand.

#2- The goalline fumble at Atlanta.... yes Rodgers fault. BUT here's the thing about that: And this decided the game. Falcons at 10-10 in the 4th quarter had 4th & goal at the 1-yard line, and they gave it to Turner who waltzed in untouched for a touchdown. We had to resort to the QB Sneaks. No TD, in fact fumble.
They got 7. We got nothing. That was more than enough to make the difference.

We need to score TDs on those and it should be able to be done with Wells, Sitton, Bulaga, Quinn Johnson leading the way. And why can't we put in a 6th OL like some teams do, like we used to do with the U-71 package with that one big OL we used to have. Put those big guys as the extra blockers on the ends. Run behind Sitton.

Powarun

Big Bay Blues fan
Reaction score
A-Rod has made a few fumbles, and he will learn from it. If anything has shown us what Aaron can do is learn from past mistakes. Won't forget that he slid instead of going for the TD in the Giants game. He has learned to be an amazing passer with a cruddy o-line. And I doubt he would allow himself to try two QB sneaks in a row anymore.

gbpack12_2_89

Bleeding Green and Gold
Reaction score
Wasn't the rodgers fumble in ATL his first fumble all year long? And if I'm not mistaken he was the ONLY QB in the league that did not have 1fumble. It took him until week 12 to fumble not to shabby if you ask me.

Powarun

Big Bay Blues fan
Reaction score
GBPack12 you are right, that was Rodgers first fumble, and we mentioned it before that game.

doughsellz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I accept that the facemask occurred after the ball was loose, but it was before any recovery. Hence the facemask penalty would have nullified the change of possession. This has been debated a bunch long ago- sorry to bring it back up.

As others have said, Rodgers accepts the responsibility and is focused on it. It is refreshing to see a QB NOT blame others. Another reason to like this guy, if needed.

I think the point in this thread is that the fumble was not caused by the facemask, an excuse for the fumble that someone was trying to use to minimize #12's culpability on the play.

Members online

Latest posts