Aaron Rodgers contract

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Expected to be a 4 yr extension worth roughly $100 million dollars (dr evil pinkie to mouth)

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Still feel Clay deserves a NEW mega-deal FIRST.... look at Aaron's reaction to the < LEFT <.

texaspackerbacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As great as Clay Matthews is, the supreme superstar of this team is Aaron Rodgers. Maybe they get the Matthews deal done first because his contract runs out a year early, but I sincerely hope both are wrapped up before this season starts. The four year thing suggested above seems too short term IMO. Favre got a ten year deal at I think an older age. I would like to see something at least that long term for Rodgers - and that would be truly historic $200 million being not even close; $300 million not out of the realm of possibility. As many say, the guaranteed money is what counts (Favre's deal kinda disproved that). I wouldn't be surprised if they GUARANTEE something like $100 million. Try this for Rodgers: $50 million bonus, $5 million next season, with $10, 12, 14, 17, 20, 25, 30, 35, 40 million - a total of $258 over ten years, maybe guarantee the first 5 seasons - $108 million. Too extreme? I don't think so. That's just a $10 million cap hit the first year and $5 million above the base all the other years. Try this for Matthews: $12 million bonus, $2 million base the first year, $7, 8, 9, 12, 15 million for years 2 - 6, maybe guarantee 3 or 4 of it - $17 or 26 million, a total $65 million over six years. His cap hit would only be $4 million the first year and $2 million above the base each of the other years.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
I can fathom Arod getting a 4 or 5 year deal in the 100 mil range, but i can't see CM3 making 65 mil over 6 years, no way. I say they will give him what averages out to be 6-7 mil per year over a 5 year span.

texaspackerbacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can fathom Arod getting a 4 or 5 year deal in the 100 mil range, but i can't see CM3 making 65 mil over 6 years, no way. I say they will give him what averages out to be 6-7 mil per year over a 5 year span.

The JSOnline article suggests that $10-12 million a season would be needed for Matthews. It seems like the $6-7 you suggest would be what you pay somebody a few years older, approaching the down side. As for Rodgers, I see him as SIGNIFICANTLY better than Flacco, Brees, and Brady - thus the significantly higher figure.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
^ this is true about Arod, but you also have to factor in that with what they are specualted to pay Arod and the specualted pay for mathews, those 2 alone would be sucking up a good portion of the cap space for just 2 players, leaving 51 other guys to share the rest and out of those 51 there is going to be some other fairly sizeable salaries given out as well.

texaspackerbacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
True, but that's why you stretch it out more years. I think what I calculated above is fairly decent in terms of cap hit, and still treats superstars like superstars.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
we shall see when the time comes.......it's not like we only have 2 big names on the team, we are heavy with great players.

I'm curious to know who else would be considered a great player outside Rodgers and Matthews? there are some guy's who are good but we really do only have two Big name players.

texaspackerbacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm trying hard to think of who else would be considered "big name". Arguably, the next closest to it just walked out the door - Jennings and Woodson. I HOPE Raji is not seen as worth big money. I went down the roster, and it's pretty hard to call anybody else a big name - Sitton, maybe or Nelson or Finley or Tramon Williams? All big names of sorts, but nowhere near the stature of Rodgers and Matthews.

J Mills

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Flacco got 6 yrs and $120.6 million with $52 million guaranteed, and Mario Williams got 6 years $100 million with $50 million guaranteed. I would expect the contracts for Rodgers and Matthews to exceed both of those deals.

As far as Raji goes I would hold off on him, use the franchise tag on him next year and draft a NT this year to provide some competition. That would buy the Packers 2 years at the NT position, then after the 2014 season you can make a decision on Raji.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm trying hard to think of who else would be considered "big name". Arguably, the next closest to it just walked out the door - Jennings and Woodson. I HOPE Raji is not seen as worth big money. I went down the roster, and it's pretty hard to call anybody else a big name - Sitton, maybe or Nelson or Finley or Tramon Williams? All big names of sorts, but nowhere near the stature of Rodgers and Matthews.

Thank you..apparently i'm a "fair weather fan" for thinking the same thing. I call it being realistic.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
Thank you..apparently i'm a "fair weather fan" for thinking the same thing. I call it being realistic.
who YOU consider great, who I consider great and who the front office like best is a matter of opinion.

Nelson is a top teir WR
Cobb is progressing and will be prime time soon enough and in 2 years will make serious cash
J. Jones 2012 season may have been enough to command more cash, especially if he keeps up a high level of play
J. Finley, TT has a ******* for this guy and will keep paying him
Our secondary (for the majority) is coming along nicely and a couple will require decent cash soon
Raji, yes...most wont agree, but he will get above average cash if we keep him around
and typically O line gets paid decent enough.
Not to mention that some of our guys we have now, and rookies from this draft that may pan out well will be coming due new contracts in the next 4-5 years, which will be right smack dab in the middle if long term deals from arod and cm3.

I do understand spacing them out and making bonus money fatter than usual, but there are 51 other guys to consider and out of them, we do have some great and some damn good players.

TAKE NOTE: Look at what one fat contract did for the Ravens. They are down to bare bones now that the overrated Flaco got his fat wallet. That was one guy getting over paid and setting the bar for future QB's to bank even more than him.

H

HardRightEdge

Flacco got 6 yrs and $120.6 million with $52 million guaranteed, and Mario Williams got 6 years $100 million with $50 million guaranteed. I would expect the contracts for Rodgers and Matthews to exceed both of those deals.

As far as Raji goes I would hold off on him, use the franchise tag on him next year and draft a NT this year to provide some competition. That would buy the Packers 2 years at the NT position, then after the 2014 season you can make a decision on Raji.

Matthews' deal will approach Mario Williams' deal, but will not match or exceed it for one simple reason: the Bills had a moment of temporary insanity. Matthews chronic hamstring issues make this particularly tricky

Rodgers will exceed Flaco; by how much remains to be seen. I do not consider it a lock that Rodgers will get his deal this year.

I read recently that Rodgers and Matthews have the same agent. That must make things interesting, as chips get moved back and forth between the two piles.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
who YOU consider great, who I consider great and who the front office like best is a matter of opinion.

Nelson is a top teir WR
Cobb is progressing and will be prime time soon enough and in 2 years will make serious cash
J. Jones 2012 season may have been enough to command more cash, especially if he keeps up a high level of play
J. Finley, TT has a ******* for this guy and will keep paying him
Our secondary (for the majority) is coming along nicely and a couple will require decent cash soon
Raji, yes...most wont agree, but he will get above average cash if we keep him around
and typically O line gets paid decent enough.
Not to mention that some of our guys we have now, and rookies from this draft that may pan out well will be coming due new contracts in the next 4-5 years, which will be right smack dab in the middle if long term deals from arod and cm3.

I do understand spacing them out and making bonus money fatter than usual, but there are 51 other guys to consider and out of them, we do have some great and some damn good players.

TAKE NOTE: Look at what one fat contract did for the Ravens. They are down to bare bones now that the overrated Flaco got his fat wallet. That was one guy getting over paid and setting the bar for future QB's to bank even more than him.

I see you have finally come around and gave Finley some love. :roflmao:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts