Aaron Rodgers 2014 MVP conversation

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Watts season is a reason for me to bring up don hutson (Doesn't come around enough).

Jj watt has been given a lot of credit for his offensive production as well as his defensive production this season. Catching TDs as a TE is pretty impressive for a DE

Don Hutson had a similar level of domination of both sides of the ball his rookie year (the greatest rookie year in history) when he lead the league in ints and receiving TDs

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1 touched the ball every offensive play, the other doesn't. One impacts the playoffs, one doesn't. Which one deserves it?

That's a perfect argument for the MVP to be renamed "Best QB" (or maybe "Best QB or Center"?) since that's true every year on every team.

And you can't honestly believe that Watt didn't impact the playoff race, can you? I mean, the Texans played the entire SEASON with the QB equivalent of last year's Packers backups and yet the Texans were in the playoff race until the end of the day in Week 17. It's not like the Texans have a bunch of great players on the team. Foster is good in spurts but he's on the downside of his career and Hopkins looks like he'll be very good but he had Ryan Fitzpatrick, Case Keenum and Ryan Mallett throwing him the ball. JJ Watt has moved into the "is he already better than Reggie White discussion".

This is more of an issue I have with the award overall. There's something inherently wrong with an award that supposedly looks at every player and yet only goes to a QB or RB. Does anyone actually think that no other position in the NFL has had the NFL's best player since 1986?

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Someone said it earlier. You take every player, and redraft every team. Who ever has 1st pick, will most definately take Aaron Rodgers. He is the most valuable player right now. hands down.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Actually, I would say that he is near there. Looking at the top 10 QBR ratings of all time, this one for Rodgers is tied for #9 at 111. I may add that of Rodgers 5 ints, 3 were in the WR's hands and bounced out. Not Rodger's fault.

I haven't watched enough of Texans, so I won't weigh in on the merit of Watt for MVP.

Problem with current QBR is the data only goes back to 2006. So just being the top-10 proves you're having one of the best seasons in the last eight years...that's far from all-time.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
38 TDs to only 5 ints. 4381 yds passing along the way. and as mentioned before most those picks were perfect throws that went through the receivers hands... The guy has played flawless............

H

HardRightEdge

There could be a Ross Perot affect. There are enough plausible offensive candidates to draw off a few votes from Rodgers: Roethlisberger, Murray, Manning, Brady, maybe even Romo gets a vote for his league best passer rating and a Division championship.

At the same time, it is plausibly argued that Watt has put together a 3 season string the match of any in the modern game, comparable to Greene, White or Taylor. There is an important and obvious issue that comes into play. If one does not vote for Watt, that amounts to a concession that defensive players should never win the award. That might resonates with some voters.

Last edited by a moderator:
H

HardRightEdge

Don Hutson had a similar level of domination of both sides of the ball his rookie year (the greatest rookie year in history) when he lead the league in ints and receiving TDs
That's overstating the case, don't you think? Hutson was a true two-way player. Watt's 3 catches for 3 TDs serves merely as a "kicker". However, it might be enough to swing a fence sitter to at least split his vote.

red4tribe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Am I the only one who isn't that impressed with Watt's TD catches? I'm not saying they weren't impressive at all, but a lot of non-wide receivers, in my opinion, could catch a one yard pass for a touchdown.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Another bit... only one defensive player has won MVP in the last 40 years, and that was the best defensive player of all time, Lawrence Taylor. His team was 14-2 and won the Superbowl.

It has never been, is not, and will never be an award for a defender that puts up big numbers on a crap team.

desertdog55

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just watching and reading sports reviews, and the people who actually vote on the MVP. Some are saying it's running 1. Tony Romo 2. J. J. Watt 3. Aaron Rodgers 4. DeMarco Murray

Zartan

Cans.wav
Staff member
Reaction score
If we send Rodgers to the Texans and Texans send us JJ Watt,the Texans would probably finish .500 or better. While we would not finish .500 or better. MVP= Most VALUABLE Player. Rodgers is unbelievably valuable.

Had Rodgers stayed out after getting hurt we would not of won that game.

H

HardRightEdge

If we send Rodgers to the Texans and Texans send us JJ Watt,the Texans would probably finish .500 or better. While we would not finish .500 or better. MVP= Most VALUABLE Player. Rodgers is unbelievably valuable.

Had Rodgers stayed out after getting hurt we would not of won that game.
You could say that about several QBs, none of whom would be under consideration for the MVP.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Another bit... only one defensive player has won MVP in the last 40 years, and that was the best defensive player of all time, Lawrence Taylor. His team was 14-2 and won the Superbowl.

It has never been, is not, and will never be an award for a defender that puts up big numbers on a crap team.
Reggie white > lt
At least around these parts I assume thats still accepted

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just watching and reading sports reviews, and the people who actually vote on the MVP. Some are saying it's running 1. Tony Romo 2. J. J. Watt 3. Aaron Rodgers 4. DeMarco Murray
You should post links as the only things I have seen are Rodgers and watt
When taking a sample of voters a week ago I saw an article show Rodgers by a landslide. Peter king today admitted splitting his vote between watt n Rodgers.

But look what happened the last time he split his vote

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's overstating the case, don't you think? Hutson was a true two-way player. Watt's 3 catches for 3 TDs serves merely as a "kicker". However, it might be enough to swing a fence sitter to at least split his vote.
It was just an excuse to talk about how great don Hutson was

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It was 10-6 team that squeeked in and was going nowhere. Houston was 9-7 and missed by a game, while Watt carried the team. The distinction is minor.

One player since the season went to 16 games has won MVP with a team winning less than 10 games. Barry Sanders. It does matter.

An MVP carries his team. Watt can't do that. A D/E can't do that.

And heck, Justin Houston had a comparable year and nobody gives a rat's **** about him.

H

HardRightEdge

You should post links as the only things I have seen are Rodgers and watt
When taking a sample of voters a week ago I saw an article show Rodgers by a landslide. Peter king today admitted splitting his vote between watt n Rodgers.

But look what happened the last time he split his vote
1997...King splits his vote between Favre and Carnell Lake...Favre and Sanders tie for the MVP.

H

HardRightEdge

Another dead horse beaten. I doubt Watt will get the votes. But given the number of credible offensive players who could split the vote, I'd give Watt an outside chance to win on something near a record low vote count.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd say if King can't make a decision, he shouldn't get a vote. **** or get off the pot, man.

red4tribe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would not be surprised if Watt or Romo win the award. Players who have not won the award in the past always seem to have a slight edge in these races.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would not be surprised if Watt or Romo win the award. Players who have not won the award in the past always seem to have a slight edge in these races.

I dont get the romo over rodgers talk. More yards, more passing TDs, more rushing yards, more rushing TDs, less INTs. Romo has 1 more win and the rushing champ.

Members online

Latest posts