Aaron Rodgers 2014 MVP conversation

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm talking about the quarterback position, there is a higher expectation of championships. And about being the GREATEST of all time. People consider Marino to be one of the greatest, but I don't know anyone who consider him singularly the greatest. Same thing with Favre. You'll see him in the top 10 of all time on a lot of rankings but almost never #1. Who is usually considered #1 of all time? Sometimes Montana(4 titles), Brady(3 titles), Unitas(3 titles), Elway(2 titles). It is much more rare to hear of someone with only one or less titles as the greatest ever. And frankly I think the greatest ever should have at least two.
I agree and I really can't wait to think of Rodgers being better than Favre when he wins his second SB title.

red4tribe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree and I really can't wait to think of Rodgers being better than Favre when he wins his second SB title.

I really hope he wins another one. I'm cautiously optimistic about this year. I think this team most closely resembles to 2010 squad that anything we've had since.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I really hope he wins another one. I'm cautiously optimistic about this year. I think this team most closely resembles to 2010 squad that anything we've had since.
I don't wanna have a repeat of Fail. Just one and done SB win with a great QB all these years.
It's like having a chocolate cake you have sitting around for desert but someone always refuses to let you have a piece even though it's in your own house.

red4tribe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't wanna have a repeat of Fail. Just one and done SB win with a great QB all these years.
It's like having a chocolate cake you have sitting around for desert but someone always refuses to let you have a piece even though it's in your own house.

Absolutely, you should win more than one with an elite QB.

If we do make the playoffs this year, it absolutely cannot be a one and done. To have 3 one and dones in 4 years with only playoff win coming against a backup QB is not acceptable. I'm not saying heads will roll if we are knocked out in the wild card round again(or divisional if we get a bye) but I think there will be a lot of discontent and a lot of legitimate questions.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Skip knows what he is doing. He is like any shock radio host be it political or sports. People like Keith Olbermann, Rush Limbaugh, Jim Rome, etc. trying to do the exact thing because you know who pays attention to these people, a lot of Americans. You think the logical guy on NPR or the average sports reporter that displays no bias gets that attention? Nope. It pays to be a dope.

everyone gets all worked up and it works, he is the most talked about sports "reporter". He brings in ratings.

I dont watch ESPN bc I think those tactics are dumb, and are rather juvenile

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm talking about the quarterback position, there is a higher expectation of championships. And about being the GREATEST of all time. People consider Marino to be one of the greatest, but I don't know anyone who consider him singularly the greatest. Same thing with Favre. You'll see him in the top 10 of all time on a lot of rankings but almost never #1. Who is usually considered #1 of all time? Sometimes Montana(4 titles), Brady(3 titles), Unitas(3 titles), Elway(2 titles). It is much more rare to hear of someone with only one or less titles as the greatest ever. And frankly I think the greatest ever should have at least two.

People are ready to proclaim Manning as the greatest at the moment, but come playoff time that will die down.

I have Starr (5 titles) as my top :)

red4tribe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
People are ready to proclaim Manning as the greatest at the moment, but come playoff time that will die down.

I have Starr (5 titles) as my top :)

You're right, there are a lot of people who think Manning in #1, and while certainly one of the greatest, I wouldn't consider him quite the best. Manning has had too many playoff failures to be considered #1 unless he does win another Super Bowl, in my opinion. How many times has he been upset in the playoffs? Doesn't even have a winning record in the postseason.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You're right, there are a lot of people who think Manning in #1, and while certainly one of the greatest, I wouldn't consider him quite the best. Manning has had too many playoff failures to be considered #1 unless he does win another Super Bowl, in my opinion. How many times has he been upset in the playoffs? Doesn't even have a winning record in the postseason.

if memory serves correct he had a very poor post season the year he won his ring

PackwillBEback

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Comparing people from different eras is nearly impossible. The rules in the league in today's game are very, very favorable to passers.

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Is it too soon to be talking HOF? I'm sorry but when our offense is running on all 8 cyliners, I hear angels singing.

Heck no... there's only one thing that stops him from a sure bet HOF and I don't even want to utter the word.

Like I keep saying, the guy is phenomenal and it's not going to change any time soon. I think Packer fans are so shell shocked from the last years of burnt fvfre that we're waiting for an implosion. It's not coming. A few bad games here and there are about as bad as it'll get. :tup:

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers TD to int ratio is off the charts. Production, mobility right up there with the best. Our team is winning....

Rodgers should be MVP.

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Today's game may significantly change the voter's sentiments.
If that is the case then shame on the voters. AR has had a spectacular season and the Bills D did one heckuva job yesterday just as they did against Manning the week prior (173 yds/2 picks and no TD for the first time in 51 games). Bad games happen as that is just part of being a QB in this league and for that matter any athlete on any given day. Let's not forget the Monday night debacle when the Pats got steam-rolled by KC and Brady went 14/23, 159 yards, 1 TD and 2 INT's. If stinker games eliminate a certain player than they may as well not hand out the award. The award is given out to the best player and the player that was most valuable to their respective team. In my mind he has proven his worth time and time again this season and even with yesterday's dud performance his numbers are still very Maddenesque. If he can finish the season strong I believe it is still his award to lose.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I see Romos name picking up steam... its warranted, but while he passes the eye test his numbers when you look closer are not as impressive as Aarons.

Aaron has a bad game against the Lions and the MVP race will get real interesting. More than likely though, Aaron has this one sewn up

D

Deleted member 6794

I see Romos name picking up steam... its warranted, but while he passes the eye test his numbers when you look closer are not as impressive as Aarons.

Aaron has a bad game against the Lions and the MVP race will get real interesting. More than likely though, Aaron has this one sewn up

Tony Romo leads the NFL in both conventional QB rating and in ESPN´s QBR so I think he should be considered as an MVP candidate.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Tony Romo leads the NFL in both conventional QB rating and in ESPN´s QBR so I think he should be considered as an MVP candidate.

Romo has 97 or so less atts which technically amounts to around 2 full games..and in that amount missed---Rodgers has more touchdowns and less ints

So yes Romo should be considered and very well could win it...But I could see this being a co mvp this year..

All depends on last game of the year

D

Deleted member 6794

Romo has 97 or so less atts which technically amounts to around 2 full games..and in that amount missed---Rodgers has more touchdowns and less ints

So yes Romo should be considered and very well could win it...But I could see this being a co mvp this year..

Romo benefits a lot from having DeMarco Murray on the team this season. His numbers, especially the completion percentage, are nevertheless impressive though.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Romo will get some votes, but I can't see him being able to beat Rodgers unless Rodgers really has a disastrous Week 17 and we don't win.

Romo being in the discussion might actually be a good thing for Rodgers. There isn't a clear #2, so you're going to have those who aren't voting for Rodgers splitting their votes among Romo, Brady, Watt, Murray, etc.

Ceodore

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tough call for me after a bad last week and a mediocre this week (only 1 pass TD). Think he's still the favorite but would have to entertain arguments for the other guys.

Members online

Latest posts