Aaron Rodgers: “It’s Time to Let the Healing Process Begin”

toolkien

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Frame all the dual appearances, and statements by Rodgers, and statements by Murphy, and all the rest as simply the industry (the NFL, the Packers, Favre Inc.) trying to make as much as they can out whatever is left of Favre's legacy for a cash-in. There's likely warehouses full of signed #4 jerseys collecting dust, maxing out at $7.32 on ebay. There's a lot of money, theoretically, to be made by Favre back in good graces. They all didn't spend the time and effort taking a Dan Fouts/Jim Kelly HOF caliber guy and and turn him into the 2nd coming of Tom-Otjoe Grahamtanady-Christ to simply let it all wash down the drain because he decided to ********** all over his team for three years, and then act as the woman scorned for another three years afterward. The "industry" is hoping we'll ignore the inch of womb-sloughings at the top of the bucket dipped in the well of Favre's legacy. Favre's got some work to do surface scraping before the water is palatable enough.

But I don't think he wants to, and I don't really care if he does. The only problem remaining is those entrenched Favre La La landers who insist on throwing a perimeter around Packer fandom, with a gate, at which they stand with a bucket full of Favre water (complete with sloughings) and demand we drink from it without complaint or we're not "real" Packer fans. My fear, as the nice-nice progresses, is they will be doubly emboldened with their fencing that I have to keep knocking down. The Packers have to honor Favre or look like jerks. I just don't want them to over board reinvigorating the Favre nuthuggers to go on new offensives. Get the ceremony over with and lets move on. Re-initiating over hype will waken the slumbering dolts, I fear.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There aren't any other player/team relationships in the same category as Favre/Packers IMHO. It is truly unique. Let's be honest though, MM/TT/MM would have welcomed him taking the one day contract with open arms. It was The Favre who was still carrying the monumental resentment toward the team, (and still is).

The door may be symbolically open for that possibility but in reality it's long closed. The Favre chose to retire as a Viking, that's his prerogative, but it speaks volumes in regard to what he thinks of the team and the fans. Brent made sure when he left that he not only burned the bridge but blew out the foundations as well. I'm in no hurry to see the man back.

I get what you're saying, but again, Favre looking to reconcile right when he retired would have been a really inappropriate time to do so. The Packers had just won the Super Bowl and any attempts by Favre at that time to seek a 1 day contract would have surely been construed as looking to hog the limelight and ride the coattails of a team that he was not part of in any way.

It was important that he was not part of the team during that year. It would have looked pathetic for him to look to reconcile at that time, and I don't think it would have been welcome by the organization immediately following SB 45 either.

PackFanNChiTown

Bear Fan's Bane
Reaction score
I get what you're saying, but again, Favre looking to reconcile right when he retired would have been a really inappropriate time to do so. The Packers had just won the Super Bowl and any attempts by Favre at that time to seek a 1 day contract would have surely been construed as looking to hog the limelight and ride the coattails of a team that he was not part of in any way.

It was important that he was not part of the team during that year. It would have looked pathetic for him to look to reconcile at that time, and I don't think it would have been welcome by the organization immediately following SB 45 either.

Favre retired three times, he could have delayed the announcement for a few months so as to not look like he's trying to steal the spotlight and/or ride the SB coattails. Hell he could have done it a year afterward. He didn't, he retired as a Viking, guaranteeing one last "FU" to the team and it's fans.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is weird for me to say, because I can't stand Favre as much as the next guy, but I just don't really see the big deal.

Montana retired as a Chief, did he not? I don't recall him ever going back on a 1 day contract with the 49ers, although they did certainly honor him and retire his number.

Rice retired as a Bronco or Seahawk, depending on how you look at it. A couple years later he did sign a 1 day contract with the 49ers, but there was never any specific request on his part going to the team after retirement and asking to retire a 49er.

These are players at least on equal footing with Favre historically.

PackFanNChiTown

Bear Fan's Bane
Reaction score
This is weird for me to say, because I can't stand Favre as much as the next guy, but I just don't really see the big deal.

Montana retired as a Chief, did he not? I don't recall him ever going back on a 1 day contract with the 49ers, although they did certainly honor him and retire his number.

Rice retired as a Bronco or Seahawk, depending on how you look at it. A couple years later he did sign a 1 day contract with the 49ers, but there was never any specific request on his part going to the team after retirement and asking to retire a 49er.

These are players at least on equal footing with Favre historically.

Those players left on pretty decent terms with their teams and were idolized by the fan base even after they played for their rivals. They didn't torch their bridges with their fanbase the way Favre did, nor did they join those other teams with the express purpose of "sticking it" to their former team.

The whole "retiring as a XXXX" team member is 100% symbolic, but it's tough to argue the fact that if Favre would have actually made the effort to retire as a Packer it would have went a long way toward healing the rift.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why settle for a 1 day contract? Why not put him on the bench behind Rodgers for a year? Solves the back up issue doesn't it? Lol

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
Uh huh. So when The Messiah decided the third time was going to be his last, he tells the Queens he wants a release so he can sign a 1 day contract with the Packers and retire as a Packer. Dorsey Levins did it, so did plenty of other players as it happens all the time.

It's a symbolic gesture that would have gone a long way toward healing the rift between Favre and the fans. Instead he retired as a Viking which is his choice.

Bottom line is everyone is talking about retiring Favre's number, aka forgiving and forgetting, except Favre.
And TT and the Packer brass would have gone along with this. Right.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sure makes me feel warm and fuzzy when the ol' gunslinger calls Jennings to tell him how great the Yikes organization is, and that he should sign with them. It will be an embarrassing day if they try to retire his number anytime in the next generation or so. At least 50% of the fans will either sit on their hands (me included), or boo loudly. Very embarrassing for both the Packers and no. 4

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Rodgers is entitled to his opinion like everyone else and my opinion is the minimum required of Favre before any kind of reconciliation takes place is he issues a sincere and public apology to Packers fans, the Packers organization, and Aaron Rodgers. How could we tell it is sincere? That’s hard to say considering the source, but how about if he cries half as much as he did during his embarrassing March 2008 “retirement” announcement?

IMO all analogies to other famous players’ departures from the teams they’re mostly associated with fail because of Favre’s extremely immature and “traitorous” actions. I don’t remember another example that’s close.

The subject of another thread is Favre’s settlement with two massage therapists who allege they lost their jobs with the Jets after complaining Favre sent sexually suggestive texts to another therapist. The reason the Jets fired them doesn’t change the fact that Favre shamed himself and his family by his immature actions which betrayed his commitment to his wife and family. And its been my experience in life (and I think its common sense to assume) when someone gets caught doing something wrong, it is a safe assumption that wasn’t the first time.

The result of Favre’s actions after leaving the Packers is I (and many others’) view him as a selfish and ungrateful attention ***** who did what he could to hurt the organization that saved him from obscurity and made him rich and famous. His actions while in New York confirm my opinion of him as a bad person, no longer able to use the excuse of youth as he no doubt would for cheating on the mother of his child and wife in his early days in Green Bay (and perhaps after in Green Bay).

As to Favre’s status as a player, IMO he is not even the best QB in franchise history so talk of him being the best all-time Packer is ludicrous to me. The honor of best QB in franchise history belongs to the man I admire as much as any public figure, Bart Starr. But it’s not emotion or nostalgia that makes me think that: Cold Hard Football Facts makes a case for Starr not only being the best QB in Packers history but the best one in NFL history. http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/content/the-definitive-list-top-10-nfl-quarterbacks/6376/ And if Rodgers leads the team to another title before he’s done, he takes the next spot in Packers history IMO.

If it were up to me Favre’s jersey would never be retired but it’s not up to me and it’ll happen at some point. I hope he waits to reconcile with the Packers until Thompson retires. Hell, I hope he waits until he finally matures and then my wish may come true.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Truthfully, when I watch Rodgers play the game, I forget all about Favre. No latent bitterness or crazy ranting coming from this guy. Rodgers is more my 'type' of QB ... Favre was entertaining and all that and I appreciated his play when he was here - really. However, he's gone and I moved on at the crying retirement announcement. We as Packers fans are very fortunate to have a Hall of Famer followed by a BETTER Hall of Famer...as I said, I prefer smart QB's and I'm happy as a stuck pig with Rodgers at QB1.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
Of course they would, why wouldn't they? MM/TT/MM aren't the ones walking around carrying a grudge on their shoulders, that honor belongs to the Messiah alone.
So you now know what TT/MM/MM are thinking and how they would react. Tell everyone, who's going to be on the 53 man roster? And you know Brett is carrying a grudge? Because he said so? Or because you can read his mind as well. Oh I know, you inferred it from his statements. I find it funny that some people "think" they know how people they don't know, and have never met, "think", and they just "know" what they would do in a given situation.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

So you now know what TT/MM/MM are thinking and how they would react. Tell everyone, who's going to be on the 53 man roster? And you know Brett is carrying a grudge? Because he said so? Or because you can read his mind as well. Oh I know, you inferred it from his statements. I find it funny that some people "think" they know how people they don't know, and have never met, "think", and they just "know" what they would do in a given situation.
bottom line is Raptor, you`re a Vikings fan welcome on the Packers forum, so how Packer fans feel about this is immaterial to you. The Packer fans feel strongly about this stuff. The man insulted the organisation, the fans etc. I WILL NOT, no, CANNOT forgive Favre for what he did and I don`t think I`m in the minority here either. IMO

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
bottom line is Raptor, you`re a Vikings fan welcome on the Packers forum, so how Packer fans feel about this is immaterial to you. The Packer fans feel strongly about this stuff. The man insulted the organisation, the fans etc. I WILL NOT, no, CANNOT forgive Favre for what he did and I don`t think I`m in the minority here either. IMO
Sorry, that was about a Packer fan claiming to know how the Packer brass and how an ex player feel about something. Something he cannot possibly know. It matters not that its a Packer fan or a fan of another team. He's making stuff up about how people would have reacted or how they feel with nothing to back up his statements. Me being a Viking fan has nothing to do with it. I find it funny how Packer fans put Brett on a pedestal for years, and how fast they turned on him when he wanted to continue to play. If you don't put players on pedestals it won't hurt so much when they show that they are humans. See, Brett is suppose to be dedicated to the fans and the Packer organization, while the organization can dump him at any time. It's a business with cut throat decision made all the time. Only some fans feel that players are supposed to be dedicated to the team no matter what, even after they are let go.

PackFanNChiTown

Bear Fan's Bane
Reaction score

You asked me if I thought TT/MM would have welcomed Favre wanting to do a one day retirement and I gave you my opinion on the matter. Your juvenile "Oh so you know can read their minds?!?!?!?! OH YEAH!!!! What color underwear is TT wearing then?!?!?!?" response is unnecessary and Bug is right, you're a Viking fan trying to contribute to how Packer fans feel about something deeply personal to us. Frankly you can't relate and your opinion is irrelevant.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just always thought Farve was a little overrated, because when it matters most (post-season), he was average.... look at his whole body of work, stats, in the playoffs and compare them to regular seasons.
We all know he came up choke so many times.... and happily for us, he gave the Grape Apes that same bitter taste in New Orleans in the 2009 NFC Championship game. They had the Super Bowl in their grasp, and that hillbilly idiot did what he does best: throw it all away and break hearts. It never gets old to me.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Mighty Mike 77

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i apologize for my uninformed question, but here in germany i didn't catch up all the facts 'bout his "retirement" and unbelieveable Intention playing for the Vikings.

Why is it that all the people seemed to hate him that much? What happend beyond the news i could get here in germany?

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

Sorry, that was about a Packer fan claiming to know how the Packer brass and how an ex player feel about something. Something he cannot possibly know. It matters not that its a Packer fan or a fan of another team. He's making stuff up about how people would have reacted or how they feel with nothing to back up his statements. Me being a Viking fan has nothing to do with it. I find it funny how Packer fans put Brett on a pedestal for years, and how fast they turned on him when he wanted to continue to play. If you don't put players on pedestals it won't hurt so much when they show that they are humans. See, Brett is suppose to be dedicated to the fans and the Packer organization, while the organization can dump him at any time. It's a business with cut throat decision made all the time. Only some fans feel that players are supposed to be dedicated to the team no matter what, even after they are let go.
And I apologise if that came across wrong to you. Nothing personal was intended towards you. I accept your point about Favre not having loyalty to the team the way we do, but the things that he did and said after he left showed he had personal acrimony towards the Packers and seemed a personal matter, and THAT made it personal towards the team, the fans etc, and I think that is what has made him so despised.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
God I love that video, it gave all the Queen fans a taste of what the playoffs had been like for Packer fans since 2000

Yeah... that one and the game where the Cards beat the Vikes on the last play with a touchdown that propelled the Pack into the playoffs. Just a thing of beauty. ;)

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
i apologize for my uninformed question, but here in germany i didn't catch up all the facts 'bout his "retirement" and unbelieveable Intention playing for the Vikings.

Why is it that all the people seemed to hate him that much? What happend beyond the news i could get here in germany?

Mike, truthfully it was building for years finally culminating in Favre's 'retiring' ... and then, the drama leading up to his being traded to the Jets after being openly courted by the Vikings -- if Favre wanted to play, that's fine, but the consensus here in Northeastern Wisconsin was 'anywhere but a North Division team'...particularly Minnesota. The younger guys seem to have a problem with the Vikings, youth being wasted on the wrong people and all ... :)

Anyway ... it was pretty ucking fugly leading up to that 2008 training camp after Rodgers had been installed as the starter - and not just "online" ... it was pretty bad in NE Wisconsin too. It was like there was a political campaign being waged with the division amongst people in each camp. Me? I did just as I do during political campaigns - I stopped watching the news, TV in general, and sure as heck-fire stayed off Packers online fan forums. I just got sick and tired of other people's opinions...repeated over and over and over and over and over (you get the idea)...at the top of their literal and figurative lungs - man, it was not a fun time to be a Packers fan. ...and remnants of that time, still linger in spite of the fact that it's been proven that it was "time" for the Pack to make a change... *sigh* ...

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers is entitled to his opinion like everyone else and my opinion is the minimum required of Favre before any kind of reconciliation takes place is he issues a sincere and public apology to Packers fans, the Packers organization, and Aaron Rodgers. How could we tell it is sincere? That’s hard to say considering the source, but how about if he cries half as much as he did during his embarrassing March 2008 “retirement” announcement?

IMO all analogies to other famous players’ departures from the teams they’re mostly associated with fail because of Favre’s extremely immature and “traitorous” actions. I don’t remember another example that’s close.

The subject of another thread is Favre’s settlement with two massage therapists who allege they lost their jobs with the Jets after complaining Favre sent sexually suggestive texts to another therapist. The reason the Jets fired them doesn’t change the fact that Favre shamed himself and his family by his immature actions which betrayed his commitment to his wife and family. And its been my experience in life (and I think its common sense to assume) when someone gets caught doing something wrong, it is a safe assumption that wasn’t the first time.

The result of Favre’s actions after leaving the Packers is I (and many others’) view him as a selfish and ungrateful attention ***** who did what he could to hurt the organization that saved him from obscurity and made him rich and famous. His actions while in New York confirm my opinion of him as a bad person, no longer able to use the excuse of youth as he no doubt would for cheating on the mother of his child and wife in his early days in Green Bay (and perhaps after in Green Bay).

As to Favre’s status as a player, IMO he is not even the best QB in franchise history so talk of him being the best all-time Packer is ludicrous to me. The honor of best QB in franchise history belongs to the man I admire as much as any public figure, Bart Starr. But it’s not emotion or nostalgia that makes me think that: Cold Hard Football Facts makes a case for Starr not only being the best QB in Packers history but the best one in NFL history. http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/content/the-definitive-list-top-10-nfl-quarterbacks/6376/ And if Rodgers leads the team to another title before he’s done, he takes the next spot in Packers history IMO.

If it were up to me Favre’s jersey would never be retired but it’s not up to me and it’ll happen at some point. I hope he waits to reconcile with the Packers until Thompson retires. Hell, I hope he waits until he finally matures and then my wish may come true.

Best all time Favre analysis. Bar none.

PackFanNChiTown

Bear Fan's Bane
Reaction score

Vie Gehts Herr Mighty!

The problems started when Sherman was demoted from GM and Ted arrived. Sherman was a poor GM, but he was sincere and earnest in his approach to the team, even if he was in over his head...(I'll add an in my opinion or IMO, for the sake of the overzealous Queen fan). A perfect example was Sherman's own confessions about the Mike McKenzie trade and Bob Harlan admitting he gave Sherman both roles.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000...harlan-regrets-making-mike-sherman-packers-gm

In brief, McKenzie was a good cornerback for the team who basically started demanding a trade in the middle of his contract.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/andrew-brandt/drew-rosenhaus-agent-of-c_b_125520.html

His agent, Drew Rosenhaus, was a pro at making things difficult for teams on behalf of his client. Sherman admitted he was spending so much time trying to take care of the McKenzie trade that he wasn't spending any time running the team.

But I digress...

The common rumor is Favre could approach Sherman about player selection and Sherman would listen. Thompson was NOT the same way. I don't have any links to the story, but I seem to remember a news conference with Ted where a reporter asked him if he'd run a decision about a particular player deal by Brett. TT's response was something like "why would I do that? He's just a player..."

Favre was not happy with Thompson's drafting, especially with Rodgers being the first overall pick. Not necessarily because they drafted Rodgers per se, but b/c they drafted a QB in the first round when Favre believed they had bigger needs. Favre believed in a "draft for need" philosophy but Ted was definitely building for the future.

Around 2006 Favre started a "I'm not sure if I'm coming back next year" ritual. He also skipped most of training camp and trained on his own.

Arguably Favre's biggest frustration with Thompson was over picking up Randy Moss. Favre always wanted to play with Moss, and Moss was available. As a brief history, Moss was originally drafted by the Vikings and he was and incredibly-gifted receiver. He was also one of the most spoiled players to ever take the field and many, myself included, believe he was a locker-room cancer. Here's an article regarding his trade to the Raiders in 2005 from the Vikings where the QB at the time, Culpepper, describes Moss' crap:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=1998159

Moss became available for trade in 2006 and 2007 and Favre wanted him badly. When Ted didn't "bend over backwards" to get Moss, Favre was "livid" according to our former Director of Finance Andrew Brandt, who was in touch with Favre during the trade talks.
http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Randys-rant-was-almost-a-Packer-twice.html

Was it just coincidence that Favre chose to retire the day after the Moss trade didn't happen? Some will say yes, most will say no. My personal interpretation is that Favre was so angry that Ted wouldn't cater to his desires, (as reflected in Brandt's article, quoted here:

Brett was forever wanting a more aggressive attitude by the front office toward player acquisition than the present regime. My constant message that our method of drafting and developing talent rather than acquiring proven commodities only served to infuriate him and his resentment of a general manager that showed him none of the compassion and welcomed input of previous regimes.

that he quit in a fit of frustration. He also quit, according to Brant, because Ted and/or Mike were "indifferent" to whether he played or not.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/The-difficult-parting-of-Favre-and-the-Packers.html

He was retiring from the Packers because the Packers were indifferent to his decision about playing, something he dearly wanted to continue...
It was also time for Brett to go soon after. Ted and Brett never had a cross word with each other; they just had little to no words at all. Brett was used to a certain warm response from the general manager’s office -- through the years of Ron Wolf and Mike Sherman -- and he and his family recoiled at the quiet chill from Thompson’s leadership. Rather than talking about it, both sides just stayed silent rather than face the inevitable conversation.

The Favre trade divided Packer Nation for at least two years. There were the Favre sycophants who believed the man should have been allowed to return after his retirement, even though Rodgers was named the starter, because you simply "don't treat a legend that way." And the sane ones, (yes I'm being deliberately sarcastic), who sided with the team's decision to NOT let the Messiah return and the eventual trade.

Add to it Favre's attitude after he left.

In 2008 he reportedly spent 60-90 minutes on the phone with the Lions coaches, giving them detailed information on how to beat the Packers

http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/10/20/no-denials-from-lions-coaches-about-favre-report/

In 2009, while playing for the Jets, he admitted he came back because he wanted to 'stick it" to the Packers.
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/peter_king/02/15/favre/index.html?eref=writers
The reality, Favre knows now, is he not only wanted to play again, but he wanted to show Green Bay -- particularly general managerTed Thompson-- that it was making a big mistake in going forward without him. "Part of me coming back last year, I have to admit now, was sticking it to Ted,'' he said in a rather startling admission.

I still maintain Favre meant it when he said he was retiring. I've saved the four-minute voice-message from him on my cell phone the day he quit, and when I've played it for people, I've asked, "Does that sound like a guy who was retiring with a lot of doubt in his mind?'' And everyone says no. Fifty weeks ago, even if he was mad at Thompson -- and, as he toldEd Werderin his weekend ESPN interview, all he heard from the Packers after the 2007 season was "crickets,'' meaning he thinks they wanted him to walk away -- he was a convincing retiree.

In 2010, he told the Bears to "go beat the Packers."

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/12/22/favre-to-peppers-beat-the-packers/

There are many non-Packer fans who simply don't remember, or don't care, about the details. They state "the Packers didn't want Favre so they let him go, why is everyone so upset?"

Packer fans, however, were quite close to the story. We lived it.

For me, after the interception in the 2007 NFCCG I wasn't sure I wanted him back. I'd personally decided that Favre was never going to get us back to the Super Bowl, which means another QB would need to, (I use his interception with the Vikings in New Orleans as further proof of that). I didn't know if that QB was Rodgers (at the time) but I knew it wasn't Favre. When he retired (the first time) I was relieved. It was a "okay thanks 4 all the memories Brett, good luck in your retirement" reaction and I was super-excited to see the Rodgers era begin.

When I first got wind he wanted to come back and get his job back I could feel the bile rising up. I didn't want him back, and was relieved when he was traded.

It's not a complete history by any means, and I admit it is kind of long-winded, but there it is. I hope it helps fill in the blanks.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
And I apologise if that came across wrong to you. Nothing personal was intended towards you. I accept your point about Favre not having loyalty to the team the way we do, but the things that he did and said after he left showed he had personal acrimony towards the Packers and seemed a personal matter, and THAT made it personal towards the team, the fans etc, and I think that is what has made him so despised.
I think Brett has acrimony towards Ted Thompson, not the Packer in general. Of course you have all these unproven reports of what Brett supposedly did, like telling the Lions how to beat the Packers. And the quote from Brett "sticking it to Ted" has become "sticking it to the Packers". When Brett came back in 2008 the Packers had three choices. Keep him and let him play, (but they had moved on), trade him, or release him. They choose option 2. Now, they didn't want to trade him to a team in the division. Why? Because they knew he still had the skills to win.

But if you think about it, had they traded him within the division, say the Vikings, what do they get? I do believe that the Vikings easily would have given up a 1st and 2 round picks the next year and maybe a 2nd the following year for Brett. Why three picks? Because Childress had to much control and was an idiot. Hell he may have given up 4 picks if he thought he could get Brett and win. So you trade him in the division, knowing you have to play him, yet you just took away 3 major draft picks from your opponent, and saddle them with a $39 million cap hit the next three years. You also know he's not going to be playing much if any past those three years . Who did MN pick up the following year in the draft with number one and two. Harvin and Loadholt. And that last 2nd, Chris Cook. While Harvin has weaseled his way to another team, Loadholt seems to be the answer to the Vikings right tackle position. And in reality, would the Vikings really have hurt what the Packers did? Well we don't know. But it would have been fun to watch.

Members online

Latest posts