Aaron Hernandez

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
I'm on a Gators kick. Sue me.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qi5pBWjdd6Q&feature=player_embedded]YouTube - Aaron Hernandez Highlights[/ame]

Aaron Hernandez
6'2, 250 pounds | Tight end | Florida

Acceleration:
Hernandez's burst is outstanding. He has very good short-area quickness to create space. Knows how to use his burst in and out of his cuts.

Agility: Doesn't have a great vertical leap, but it's good enough. Times his jumps well. Has fluid hips that he opens up over the middle to turn, catch and work up the field.

Blocking: Hernandez does a nice job of using his strength to block, but isn't technically sound. Doesn't stay planted to block and moves around too much. More of a seal blocker in space than a traditional tight end in-line blocker.

Body Control: Frequently showed he can adjust to badly thrown passes to make tough grabs. Very coordinated in the open field. Shrugs off hits pre-catch really nicely.

Hands: Displays elite-level hands. Showed he properly caught the ball away from his frame. Doesn't let the ball get into his body.

Release: When lined up off the line, Hernandez didn't have a problem with his release. He was a little slow out of his stance when he puts his hand down. Will have to work here.

Route Running: Wasn't required to run a lot of routes at Florida. Mostly ran slants over the short middle. Didn't run a lot of dig routes, which is a key route for NFL tight ends.

Size: This has been the biggest knock on Hernandez. He has good bulk, but he's listed at only 6-foot-2. This leads most to say Hernandez is an H-back, but Dustin Keller of the Jets measured in at the same height.

Speed: Separation speed is good but not great. Is more of a quick, agile tight end. Doesn't break away from defenders in a straight line, but he's shifty.

Vision: Is a weapon after the catch, even though is speed isn't excellent. Gets a lot of yards after the catch. Has the strength to power through tacklers. Sets up his blockers well to create more open space.
Final word: Strictly as a receiving option, Hernandez is a solid tight end. But some of the other aspects of his game knock him down. His height is below-average for the position and he needs to learn more routes and how to block. But his receiving skills are so good, he's worth a second-round pick.
Really broke through toward the end of his sophomore year and continued to play well as a junior. In 2009, Hernandez finished with 68 catches for 850 yards and five touchdowns.

Aaron Hernandez NFL Draft scoutingreport - Mocking The Draft

Opinions vary, but Hernandez should come off the board in the 1st, 2nd, or at the latest 3rd round.

I imagine him paired with Jermichael and I salivate.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When I watched them, this kid, and another Wr really popped out to me.

Don't remember his name, it's a white slim guy, that can block like hell and lay the wood. Has really nice hands...

Hernandez would be an awesome #2 TE on our team, would be thrilled to have him in 5th or 6th round, but he'll go earlier, and he's not a need...

Hey, Jess, you that watch them more, post about Brandon Spikes and Carlos Dunlap. I'd gladly take both players at the second round, but IMHO they're not 1st rounders...

OP
OP
Jess

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
Riley Cooper is the white receiver. You bringing him up has inspired me to give him his own thread. That's going to be up in a minute or two.

I'll work on Spikes and Dunlap too. Spikes would be a fantastic pick, imo, and would make Hawk expendable.

Members online

Latest posts