A winning strategy

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For those of you who want to see the Packers win some games, this post is for you.

I don't want this post to degenerate into a Holmgram vs Sherman vs MM post, I'm just stating what works with the current team. Let's not say we should have done this or that in the offseason. Let's assume we have the same players today that we'll have at the end of the season.

On offense, whether we like it or not, Green of '06 is not the Green of '03. He's lost a step, and doesn't have as much explosiveness as he had several years ago. He's also now injury prone, and shouldn't carry the workload he had in the past. He is however still quite intelligent and follows blockers better than just about anyone else. Therefore, we'll play to our strengths.

Our strengths on offense are our passing game, but we can't just throw 40 times a game and expect it to work, because opposing teams know we're going to do that and don't even prepare for our running. They focus mostly on stopping Favre.

Holmgrem knew how to work with what he had and passed to open up the run. That's what we need to do. Green + Herron = a decent RB set. Get the short passes going to Driver and occasionally throw a few downfield to Robinson, and a few slants to Jennings. Keep the defense off balance. Then throw in a few screen passes here and there. Build a rhythm. Get momentum. Most importantly, keep the opposing offenses off the field.

Pass first, but mix it up with runs. Pass to open up the running game. Include those Packer screens, the ones that Sherman was good at with Green, and that's how I'd like to see Green mostly involved.

Use Green and Herron as Holmgram used Bennett and Levens. Each of them get about 10-15 carries a game, plus a lot of short passes thrown their way.

Now, our offense isn't the problem though. It's our defense. Our offense always has to play catch-up because our defense is so bad.

2 major things we need from our D:
1) put some pressure on opposing QB's. So far, Kampman has been good. Everyone else has sucked. We need to blitz, whether you all like it or not. ANY QB in the NFL looks good with 5 seconds to throw. We can't give opposing QBs that much time.

So we blitz, but mix up the blitzes. Blitz with LBs, have both Harris and Woodson blitz at different times. Remember when Harris used to record sacks? We need to do that again. Have the safeties blitz. We all know they can't cover. Then put them to use. Make them blitz occasionally. The whole point of this is to keep the QB on their toes. Keep them scared. If we give up the big play, so be it. We're giving them up anyways. Believe me, with a scared QB, he's going to throw the occasional INT.

2) Takeaways. How come we've played five games and only intercepted three passes? We've had opportunities. It's not like opposing QBs haven't thrown the ball right into our hands. Why can't we hold on to the ball when they do that? This is killing us. We can't continue to give away the football and not take the ball away back, then expect to win. Why are the Rams so good? Simply because of their turnover ratio. Turnovers change the tide of a game, and our coaches need to drill into our D's heads that we need Takeaways.

In summary, on offense, we need to control the ball. Play to our strengths, and have the pass open up the run.

On D, we need sacks and interceptions (or fumbles). Our D is no good, but if we can get some takeaways, we'll turn the tides of the games. Pressuring a QB is always a good way to get takeaways.

By the way, our run D isn't that bad. That's why I haven't brought that aspect up.

GakkofNorway

Cheesehead
Reaction score
passing to open up for the run is the basic idea of the westcoast offense, MM is running a westcoast offense so expect him to do just that.

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In my nickel or dime package I would play four linebackers and bring one of those linebackers on a blitz

steveGB

Cheesehead
Reaction score
agreed we dont have the strongest depth at DT so may aswell have a blitzing linebacker

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In my nickel or dime package I would play four linebackers and bring one of those linebackers on a blitz

The nickel package is removing one LB for an extra DB. The dime is removing 2 LBs for 2 extra DBs. So how is having 4 LBs equate to a nickel or dime package??

I think that you may be trying to say that we should occassionally line-up in a 3-4 defense and blitz one or two LBs. This is one of the things that Sanders said he would try this year.

So far our problem isn't more blitzing though, it's that the blitzes don't get there in time. Our defense has been suffering from bad miscommunication here and there, which leads to big plays. This inconsistent play is typical for a young team. As these guys continue to play together and communicate better, there should be less breakdowns, which means fewer big plays.

Right now we're being killed by the big plays. The basic defense is otherwise playing fairly well. Reduce the big plays and we should be fine.

Timmons

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know if this would equate to a winning strategy, but I like the ideas and I would like to see a more agressive defense (as described above).

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The problem as I see it is almost all of the big plays we have allowed for long gains and TD's have come on first and second down. I have been thru every game via play by play and it's staggering actually.

We are actually very good on third down. Not only in preventing big plays but in third down conversions allowing only 22 of 68.

Obviously you can blitz on 1st and 2nd down but not being as sure as you are on third and long means blitzes that can control the run as well. On third and longer you can gamble a little more with what package you bring.

As I have stated before the real answer is getting a decent and consistant rush out of the front four on first and second down. We do not do that nearly enough and every time we give up a big play it seems to be on an early down play action pass.

What's maddening is that it seems we either get a good push from all of them or none of them when what we need is at least one guy getting thru on early downs making the qb move around.

It's hard for the QB to hit guys on the money when they are on the move and not good when you need to blitz on early downs.

OP
OP
Zombieslayer

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The problem as I see it is almost all of the big plays we have allowed for long gains and TD's have come on first and second down. I have been thru every game via play by play and it's staggering actually.

We are actually very good on third down. Not only in preventing big plays but in third down conversions allowing only 22 of 68.

Obviously you can blitz on 1st and 2nd down but not being as sure as you are on third and long means blitzes that can control the run as well. On third and longer you can gamble a little more with what package you bring.

As I have stated before the real answer is getting a decent and consistant rush out of the front four on first and second down. We do not do that nearly enough and every time we give up a big play it seems to be on an early down play action pass.

What's maddening is that it seems we either get a good push from all of them or none of them when what we need is at least one guy getting thru on early downs making the qb move around.

It's hard for the QB to hit guys on the money when they are on the move and not good when you need to blitz on early downs.

Heh. No idea the big plays were on 1st and 2nd. Well, then the blitz idea wouldn't be so effective.

I still do think we need more takeaways, especially INTs. That's my biggest criticism of our current D. I'd be happy to surrender big plays if we're getting takeaways, because at the end of the day, the turnover ratio is more important than total yards.

wpr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
On day one I was saying we need to pass to establish the run. I agree that they should do that.
Just one thing- You mention that GB can't throw the ball 40 times in a game. If they go to a short pass, ball control offense they will have to throw nearly 40 times. 40 passes plus 15 carries each for Green and Herron would be 70 offensive plays. As of now they are avg 65 plays a game. So if they control the ball more they would have to pick up at least 5-8 more plays a game.

OP
OP
Zombieslayer

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
On day one I was saying we need to pass to establish the run. I agree that they should do that.
Just one thing- You mention that GB can't throw the ball 40 times in a game. If they go to a short pass, ball control offense they will have to throw nearly 40 times. 40 passes plus 15 carries each for Green and Herron would be 70 offensive plays. As of now they are avg 65 plays a game. So if they control the ball more they would have to pick up at least 5-8 more plays a game.

Good point. I guess I kind of contradicted myself there.

One thing I'd like to add is I'd like to see us win the time of possession stat. With our D the way it is, we need to keep opposing offenses off the field.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts