A Training Camp Battle is in Store For The Green Bay Packers Wide Receivers

If the Packers only carry five wrs this season, who will earn the last spot?

• Jeff Janis

Votes: 8 22.2%
  • DeAngelo Yancey

Votes: 11 30.6%
  • Malachi Dupre

Votes: 13 36.1%
  • Max McCaffrey

Votes: 4 11.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBkrzygrl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am pulling for Dupre and have some hope for him. If he does well in the preseason I don't think he will make it to the PS.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can't see them going with just 5 especially if Janis is one of them. Put em all in one great big dice cup, shake the heck out of it and see which one comes out standing. I guess they all have their + & - but I'd kinda like to see Dupre just because of the things I've heard. I kinda hope they have 2 they can't decide on and Janis isn't one of them.

H

HardRightEdge

While Allison may be penciled in at the #4 spot, I would not assume he'll hold on to it by the end of preseason.

Arthur Squires

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Allison will be interesting to keep an eye on for a big jump in year 2. I see him holding down the #4 spot this year. I do believe Janis will be short of the 53, but still make a squad somewhere else like San Fran or Jacksonville. Davis makes #5 but I really don't expect much from him. I can see Dupree being more productive than Davis. I have Yancey going to the PS.

UpDownEndAround

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Didn't we keep 7 last year? I can't see any scenario where we keep less than 6. I mostly agree with Arthur.

Nelson
Adams
Cobb
Allison
Davis
Dupre
McCaffery

Practice squad for Yancey, and Janis cut if we can find another gunner on the roster.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Did we keep 7 wrs last year? Or was Monty #3 rb, and Janis our special teams ace?

This year we have another TE and another RB to keep too...most likely...

Final cuts are going to be tough this year.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Did we keep 7 wrs last year? Or was Monty #3 rb, and Janis our special teams ace?

Final cuts are going to be tough this year.

Injuries tend to shake those things out.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
My guess is that they keep Nelson, Adams, Cobb, Yancey, Davis, Dupre, and maybe Janis/Allison.

What I don't understand is why so many fans have already written Yancey and Davis off. It seems that at least half of the people who have an opinion on these guys think neither are making the 53. That would be really surprising. These are very recent 5th round picks.

D

Deleted member 6794

Didn't we keep 7 last year? I can't see any scenario where we keep less than 6. I mostly agree with Arthur.

Nelson
Adams
Cobb
Allison
Davis
Dupre
McCaffery

Practice squad for Yancey, and Janis cut if we can find another gunner on the roster.

McCaffrey is a long shot to make the Packers roster.

While the Packers will most likely keep at least three running backs on the roster I don't believe an additional tight end will make the 53.

What I don't understand is why so many fans have already written Yancey and Davis off. It seems that at least half of the people who have an opinion on these guys think neither are making the 53. That would be really surprising. These are very recent 5th round picks.

It wouldn't be unprecedented to release a fifth round pick in his second season in Davis or even a player just drafted like Yancey though.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My guess is that they keep Nelson, Adams, Cobb, Yancey, Davis, Dupre, and maybe Janis/Allison.

We just have to hope that they see a coachable player in Yancey. These slow receivers make great stories, but it would be nice for someone with some real upside to actually work out.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
McCaffrey is a long shot to make the Packers roster.

While the Packers will most likely keep at least three running backs on the roster I don't believe an additional tight end will make the 53.

It wouldn't be unprecedented to release a fifth round pick in his second season in Davis or even a player just drafted like Yancey though.

There's precedent for almost anything, but it's still highly unlikely.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
We just have to hope that they see a coachable player in Yancey. These slow receivers make great stories, but it would be nice for someone with some real upside to actually work out.

Yancey isn't slow. He ran a 4.53 at 220 lbs. Weight adjusted, that's a very respectable time. Geronimo Allison-- now he's slow. 4.67 at 196 lbs.

Yancey played for a bad program, but the Big 10 was still arguably the best conference in football last year. Easily #2, even if one is convinced of the SEC's supremacy.

He went 49/951/10 in that conference. And he did his best work against his best competition.

Against Nebraska: 4 catches, 100 yards, 2 TD's
Against Iowa: 2 catches, 92 yards, 1 TD
Against Wisconsin: 6 catches, 155 yards, 2 TD's
Against Penn State: 2 catches, 66 yards, 1 TD

Then he had his pro day and ran a 4.53 at 6'2" 220 and had above average results in the 3C and the jumps. His Sparq score is actually in the 72nd%.

His draft slot means the odds of him ever becoming a starter are stacked against him. The Packers have only ever found those guys in the 3rd round and on up in the TT/AR era. So it's an uphill battle there. But I can't figure out for the life of me why so many fans think he won't make the roster.

H

HardRightEdge

Yancey isn't slow. He ran a 4.53 at 220 lbs. Weight adjusted, that's a very respectable time. Geronimo Allison-- now he's slow. 4.67 at 196 lbs.
Allison ran a 4.56 at his pro day. That looks to be more consistent with his play speed.

Nelson ran 4.51 at the Combine, but before the ACL you never saw anybody catch him from behind. He's a long strider with long speed.

I saw some of that in Yancey's college tape.

Preseason will give us some idea if Yancy has the other pieces to the puzzle.

Arthur Squires

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Geronimo isn't a fast WR but it isn't slow either. He does have above average hands and seems to be able to read zone coverage well. The reason I have little hope for Davis is his little frame and Doesn't seem to run much other than straight kinda of the same complaints people have about Janis. But without the size Janis has. I saw much of the same when Davis was at Cal.

D

Deleted member 6794

There's precedent for almost anything, but it's still highly unlikely.

While I agree that it's unlikely even Thompson has released rookies that were drafted in the fifth round immediately in Jamon Meredith and David Clowney.

Reese2017

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They'll probably keep More TE so they can go with five WR Aaron really likes going to TE and having Martellus will help alot

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Yancey played for a bad program, but the Big 10 was still arguably the best conference in football last year. Easily #2, even if one is convinced of the SEC's supremacy.

He went 49/951/10 in that conference. And he did his best work against his best competition.

Against Nebraska: 4 catches, 100 yards, 2 TD's
Against Iowa: 2 catches, 92 yards, 1 TD
Against Wisconsin: 6 catches, 155 yards, 2 TD's
Against Penn State: 2 catches, 66 yards, 1 TD

Then he had his pro day and ran a 4.53 at 6'2" 220 and had above average results in the 3C and the jumps. His Sparq score is actually in the 72nd%.

His draft slot means the odds of him ever becoming a starter are stacked against him. The Packers have only ever found those guys in the 3rd round and on up in the TT/AR era. So it's an uphill battle there. But I can't figure out for the life of me why so many fans think he won't make the roster.
My comment was poorly stated. I meant that I hoped Yancey becomes a factor because he actually does have admirable physical qualities. He's every bit of the 220 lbs., 4.5 receiver that he measured to be at his pro day. He may not have much wiggle, but I think the scouts overstate him only having straight-line athleticism, as I saw some change of direction ability from him which should translate to his routes, should be apply himself.

Geronimo is the slow, low upside type of receiver that I was referring to. He's got good wiggle, but no speed, and he's built like a slight slot WR. In this offense, which is built on beating CBs with pure athletic ability and basic route running, it might not be enough.

H

HardRightEdge

They'll probably keep More TE so they can go with five WR Aaron really likes going to TE and having Martellus will help alot
That's certainly a possibility. There are 3 TEs on the roster who are not primarily special teams players; all of those guys are expected to get offensive snaps to one degree or another.

When you get down to a 6th. receiver or the 53rd. spot on a roster, you're looking at two injuries among the top 4 before the guy even makes a game day roster. That would be true at other positions as well, so a choice has to be made.

There's not a lot of difference between that roster spot and the practice squad except the protection against the guy getting signed away. These bottom-of-the-roster decisions are to a large extent about perceived potential among the candidates regardless of position within reasonable limits. You're not going to carry 4 RBs plus a FB, for example, but there a plenty of possibilities where a 6th. WR may be the odd man out against a guy who shows some promise in camp and preseason at another position.

The strongest case for carrying 6 WRs is having a #5 who serves on special teams (Janis, for example, in recent years) and a #6 with more potential as a WR but with little ST utility (Davis last year). If the gunner positions can be filled from the DB group or a WR not named Janis (Yancy for example...big, strong, some long speed), the argument for carrying only 5 becomes more compelling.

Last edited by a moderator:

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Geronimo isn't a fast WR but it isn't slow either. He does have above average hands and seems to be able to read zone coverage well. The reason I have little hope for Davis is his little frame and Doesn't seem to run much other than straight kinda of the same complaints people have about Janis. But without the size Janis has. I saw much of the same when Davis was at Cal.

I wouldn't write Davis off just yet. He is arguably the fastest player on the team and put on 5-6 pounds of muscle during offseason. Well have to wait and see how this translates in camp but I'm still high on Davis.

H

HardRightEdge

I wouldn't write Davis off just yet. He is arguably the fastest player on the team and put on 5-6 pounds of muscle during offseason. Well have to wait and see how this translates in camp but I'm still high on Davis.
McCarthy is always looking for that second year jump, though recently I saw him use the phrase "second or third year", perhaps a recognition, or a revised optimism for this season, that the road is longer for some of these guys, Randall being a prime example.

Yeah, we have to wait for preseason to see what's what with Davis. Guys can get rave reviews in camp where there's little contact scrimmaging, and then not show up in games. If by preseason week 4, for anybody who makes it that far, not getting many snaps or getting thrown out there with the 3rd. string QB is kind of a giveaway. He has to show something to get better snaps in the earlier games and produce with those snaps to prevent that eventuality.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
one of the noobs will have to go some ways to beat allison for the 4th spot. if it happens it's a good thing because it means the o is getting even better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts