A tidbit from...

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
...Richard Pufall

The general manager: Look for Ted Thompson to break out his A-Game. We don't want to suggest that Thompson spent his first year as GM building a case to fire Mike Sherman as head coach. And if you think you just read that, well . . . that's your call.

But the whole enchilada is on Thompson's plate now. And he better add a little salsa or it will go down hard in 2006 just as it did in '05. We hear the GM is no fan of the free-agent market, but it is a place Thompson must learn to like and shop wisely.

The Packers have about $21 million under the salary cap to spend on signing free agents, whether they are their own or someone else's. And Thompson must upgrade his tastes from the Matt O'Dwyers, Adrian Klemms, Earl Littles, Arturo Freemans and Ray Thompsons of the world. You get what you pay for, as the cliché goes. Thompson paid very little last season and got even less in return.

The Packers could have 14 unrestricted free agents of their own: Kevin Barry, Najeh Davenport, Rob Davis, Tony Fisher, Mike Flanagan, Rod Gardner, Ahman Green, William Henderson, Grady Jackson, Aaron Kampman, Paris Lenon, Ryan Longwell, Craig Nall and Grey Ruegamer.

If all 14 were worth keeping, the Packers would not have been 4-12. Thompson isn't likely to have the sentimental attachment to any of these players that Sherman did during his time as GM. We think Thompson can be trusted to pay players for what they will do, not what they once did.

Aaron Kampman and Grady Jackson are definitely worth keeping and Ryan Longwell should be considered, although his best kicks might be behind him. Gardner might be worth another look.

Davenport has been injury-prone and underproductive and probably won't be re-signed. Age and injuries have taken a toll on Flanagan at center and his days in Green Bay might be over. The Packers probably won't get outbid to keep Henderson, the aging fullback or Davis, the long-snapper.

Green looms as a frightening puzzle. Some say he is done. And he looked to be losing it even before he tore is right quadriceps muscle on Oct. 23 and was lost for the season. But we are left wondering if his pre-injury problems were more the byproduct of a struggling, patchwork offensive line fighting to find itself in the early part of the season.

Samkon Gado was a nice discovery, but not nearly the back Green was in his prime. Gado is not Green, but maybe Green isn't Green anymore, either. Green says he will come back strong, but what else would you expect him to say?

Thompson can re-sign Green cheaply and it might turn out be a bargain.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
forget about green.

This is the real 1st GM year for TT

last year he had shermhead(aka,bonehead) and no money to spend. He tried to get some hidden gems(robert thomas was ok) with 0 money.

Now hes fired the HC and his goons, brought in people who he thinks can get the job done.

He also has 21 to spend...

this is the real test for TT. whats he gonna do with that money? will his coaches pan out? Will he draft well 2 years in a row?

im excited about it..he could do very well, and bring us to the superbowl, or we could be the detroit lions for 5 years. Should be exciting.

mattresell

Cheesehead
Reaction score
<a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?q=29.895425+-
I'm cautiously optimistic. We've got the draft postion and the cash to really improve our club. I guess that's the only bright side of last season.

If Favre retires, it is reasonable to expect 4-5 new starters on offense. (qb,rb,c,2 guards)

On defense another 4-5 could be replaced depending on Kampman, Grady, and the secondary.

No matter how many players came and went over the past 12 years, it always felt like the same team. Favre's team. If that doesn't change this year, it will the next. It's bittersweet, but there is some excitement to it.

Lets hope TT knows what he's doing.

vixtalkn

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Versatile URA Randle El.

Receiver. Punt/Kick Returner. Also known to throw an occasional touchdown pass in big games.

DakotaT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Randle El would be an automatic upgrade from Chatman. Chatman has very good hands, and to my knowledge has never muffed a punt, but his return skills are very questionable. To his credit, he probably doesn't have the blocking Desmond Howard had, but then neither did Allen Rossum.

I doubt Thompson goes after Randel El. He will probably be more expensive than TT would value him at.

OP
OP
B

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Three things...

tromadz:

three things:

1.) This is from an article by Pufall, I give proper credit at the top of post;

2.) It is Bull $hit to try and claim this is T.T. 1st season as a GM for multiple reasons:

~~~ he should get some credit for what looks like may turn out to be a decent 1st draft;

~~~ you want to give him credit for picking up Thomas -- which is cool -- but than he has to take responsibility for his misses too;

~~~ he decided to hold on to Hunt and pay the big roster bonus, he decided to hold on to Hunt until the last cut and ended up paying his full salary when he filed the grievance, those were Thompson decisions;

~~~ he decided to let both Guards go and not find adequate replacements -- and it has been demonstrated time and time again that signing Wahle (not both was not only possible but quite doable when you use the Cap dollar hit that he cost Carolina);

~~~ he is the man making the decisions and those decisions have weighed heavy on #4, and they will impact the decision he makes whether or not he plays for the Packers (it is up to each persons perception whether this is a good thing or a bad thing)

~~~ Ted Thompson made all of the roster decisions coming into and during the season -- including failing to get adequate replacements when players went down in the play making positions (see ~~~ above);

~~~ he squandered $6.4 million dollars on a Sherman extention. The Packers are nowhere near the richest franchise in NFL and don't have a Sugar Daddy to absorb this foolishness...

~~~ So in summary of #2 Ted Thompson has been on the job for 13 full months and deserves his share of credit and responsibility.

#3) You wrote "forget about green." Why the Hell would I or Ted Thompson forget about a 28 year old back who averaged more than 1400 yards over the previous 4 seasons -- before last season being thrown out with an inadequate offensive line minus two guards, a Center that could barely stand up and the starting TE not available and then going down to a season ending injury. Pufall is right, if reports that he is recovering well and he can be signed to reasonable incentive-laden contract he MAY be an incredible offseason signing . It is easy for a fan to forget that Green is a great check down back who always put up great receiving numbers to go with being a Pro Bowl runner each season, but a GM who forgets it is a fool.

tromadz said:
forget about green.

last year he had shermhead(aka,bonehead) and no money to spend. He tried to get some hidden gems(robert thomas was ok) with 0 money.

Now hes fired the HC and his goons, brought in people who he thinks can get the job done.

this is the real test for TT. whats he gonna do with that money? will his coaches pan out? Will he draft well 2 years in a row?

im excited about it..he could do very well, and bring us to the superbowl, or we could be the detroit lions for 5 years. Should be exciting.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bruce...I agree with your post 100%. tromadz wants to pretend that this is TT's first year, yet he says he loves everything TT has done so far. I'm sure he wants to credit TT for the drafting of Nick Collins (rightfully so) but...."this is TT's first year".

I don't get the blind loyalty to this guy. Hell, he's my favorite GM right now because he is a Packer. But he's been a Packer for one year. To heap adoration upon the man, at a higher scale than Brett Favre (who has given us 15 years) puzzles me.

DakotaT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bruce said:
tromadz

three things

2.) It is Bull $hit to try and claim this is T.T. 1st season as a GM for multiple reasons

~~~ he should get some credit for what looks like may turn out to be a decent 1st draft;

~~~ you want to give him credit for picking up Thomas -- which is cool -- but than he has to take responsibility for his misses too;

~~~ he decided to hold on to Hunt and pay the big roster bonus, he decided to hold on to Hunt until the last cut and ended up paying his full salary when he filed the grievance, those were Thompson decisions;

~~~ he decided to let both Guards go and not find adequate replacements -- and it has been demonstrated time and time again that signing Wahle (not both was not only possible but quite doable when you use the Cap dollar hit that he cost Carolina);

~~~ he is the man making the decisions and those decisions have weighed heavy on #4, and they will impact the decision he makes whether or not he plays for the Packers (it is up to each persons perception whether this is a good thing or a bad thing)

~~~ Ted Thompson made all of the roster decisions coming into and during the season -- including failing to get adequate replacements when players went down in the play making positions (see ~~~ above);

~~~ he squandered $6.4 million dollars on a Sherman extention. The Packers are nowhere near the richest franchise in NFL and don't have a Sugar Daddy to absorb this foolishness...

~~~ So in summary of #2 Ted Thompson has been on the job for 13 full months and deserves his share of credit and responsibility.

#3) You wrote "forget about green." Why the Hell would I or Ted Thompson forget about a 28 year old back who averaged more than 1400 yards over the previous 4 seasons -- before last season being thrown out with an inadequate offensive line minus two guards, a Center that could barely stand up and the starting TE not available and then going down to a season ending injury. Pufall is right, if reports that he is recovering well and he can be signed to reasonable incentive-laden contract he MAY be an incredible offseason signing . It is easy for a fan to forget that Green is a great check down back who always put up great receiving numbers to go with being a Pro Bowl runner each season, but a GM who forgets it is a fool.

tromadz said:
forget about green.

Bruce, may I add a little to your Green accolades. This guy played under a bad contract (on the cheap for his production) and never took his laundry to the press like a very talented receiver currently in the same rehab hot tub. We owe Ahman Green at the very least, a fair contract.

Green is not only a great checkdown back, he is also a very patient runner who should excel in the new blocking scheme. Green Bay will regret it if they let him walk.

I agree with all the things you wrote about Thompson last offseason. I will give him credit on the draft though. Barring injuries, he plucked some pretty good players last year. I will reserve judgement on Rodgers until I see him lined up behind a solid line.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My only problem with Green is his obvious anger problems with women. I know, charges were dropped, yada yada yada, but three times with three different women, I believe. This is a character flaw. Winning football players have tremendous character. I haven't really seen it in Green. Eventually he will go too far....and the Packer organization doesn't need that.

bavpb

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't forget about Green, he allways was loyal to the Pack and he is a good back! (Lets hope he gets his off- field problems fixed.)

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's true with Green.........and if he keeps up the problems with the ladies, we ALL know where that will lead him.......................he'll end up a RAIDER!!! :wink:
But it IS true, he played with the contract he had, didn't complain, and was a great competitor. Not like T.O.!
I think he should be given another chance, if his price doesn't go TOO high.

Beab66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Next to Brett Favre, Ahman Green was the biggest bargain the Packers have received in recent history! They trade a 2nd rate, 1st round choice in Fred Vinson for a straight ahead runner and fumbler with asthema in Green. Green has paid off his contract in dividends. Given that, he has lost a step and couldn't seem to break away even before his injury. All things considered, I think Ahman being damaged goods doesn't get the offers, TT signs him to an incentive laden deal, and paired with sharing duty with Gado we have a decent tandem of running backs at a bargain price. I have always been a Green fan because he has always been a team player and hard worker.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DePack said:
Bruce...I agree with your post 100%. tromadz wants to pretend that this is TT's first year, yet he says he loves everything TT has done so far. I'm sure he wants to credit TT for the drafting of Nick Collins (rightfully so) but...."this is TT's first year".

I don't get the blind loyalty to this guy. Hell, he's my favorite GM right now because he is a Packer. But he's been a Packer for one year. To heap adoration upon the man, at a higher scale than Brett Favre (who has given us 15 years) puzzles me.

What I meant....(because god forbid you try and let people read through the lines here) is This is his first test. Last year, all he did was draft(and a good one), make some cuts(good ones), some hires(with minimum money).

With that said...

That is small bananas compared to FIRING coaches, HIRING coaches, and having 21 million dollars to spend. That is how year 2 has kicked off so far.

Do you see what im saying now, or should I explain it more for you? Cuz honestly if you cant see that year 1 and year 2 are nothing alike, I feel for you.

and depack, dont say i hold TT in higher regard than favre, you dont know what I feel about people, and as usual you look ignorant.

edit - TT deserves the criticisms and the props from his 2005 season, and I didnt mean to make it sound like he doesnt. That was my fault, i apologize. But this is going to be his big year with a number 5 overall draft pick, new coaches that hes brought in, and 21 mil to spend as he sees fit. In a couple years when we're discussing TTs work, what he does this offseason will be a huge part of it.

Sherman bringing in Joe johnson and digging us into a huge hole with overpaid players and busts (hunt,joe johnson,KGB is a bust if you ask me,etc). This is TTs turn. Will he fill our team up with overrated, overpaid busts? or will he bring in talented players who can do good things for this team for years to come.

That is what I mean when i say his first big test(originally said first year, which was my mistake). You guys as GB supporters should be rooting for TT at this point, cuz the decisions he makes are crucial to probably the next 4-5 years of football in Green Bay. His work in 2005 was good(he didnt do much[he couldnt], but what was done was decent). He cut malcontents, got rid of a bad coach, and got us in position to make a run at players this offseason.

Hopefully he can have another good draft, make some good offseason moves, bring in a vet or 2, and put us in position to get back to the top of the north.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Please explain more.

We all know what Sherman did....now explain why this is really TT's first year. How about addressing Bruce's post.

You have spent everyone of your posts defending TT. It is obvious to all on this board, not just me that you hold him in higher regard than Favre.

Flipping out and calling me ignorant doesn't really change your first post.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DePack said:
You have spent everyone of your posts defending TT. It is obvious to all on this board, not just me that you hold him in higher regard than Favre.

wrong, but thats not new.

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bruce said:
...Richard Pufall

The Packers could have 14 unrestricted free agents of their own: Kevin Barry, Najeh Davenport, Rob Davis, Tony Fisher, Mike Flanagan, Rod Gardner, Ahman Green, William Henderson, Grady Jackson, Aaron Kampman, Paris Lenon, Ryan Longwell, Craig Nall and Grey Ruegamer.

The Packers don't "have" these guys. They no longer are Packers.

Good riddance of Barry(With a Wonderlic of 8 can he learn a new offense let allone another position).

Flanagan, Davenport, Green, are physically unlikely to make the final cut even if signed.

Nall and Ruegamer were mistreated and likely to go away angry.

Lenon, Henderson, and Fisher are reasonably priced and TED likes reasonably priced players.

The minimum on Rob Davis keeps going up and the Packers should start at least bring in competition for the job.

Longwell is on the market when the competition for jobs is poor. Vanderjadgt, Vinateri, Nedney, and Jose Cortez. Longwell gets tagged until next year when the kicker market may improve. All you cut him folks really want to draft a kicker?

No the big part of the Packer free agent portion of the season comes down to Jackson and Kampmann. That will decide how the Packers draft.

1) Jackson was loud and threatening last summer. Thompson called his bluff. Drew Rosenhaus finally told Grady the truth and got fired. Grady for all his NFL experience is broke.

If he is not signed by the Packers in the offseason I bet after week 1 when is veteran salary is no longer guaranteed the Packers can sign him more cheaply. The greatest problem in the negotiation is Grady's pride.

2) Kampmann has already rejected a Thompson offer. TED will be suprised what another is willing to pay and how vulnerable the Packers are if they do not spend what is necessary to sign him. If gone, the #5 pick is a DE. If TED makes the decision that Kampann is not worth the money, then he must find another option in free agency.

Are the Packers rebuilding or stocking ammunition for the fall battles remains to be seen. It is best answered by the price of Kampmann's services and whether the GM and Andrew Brandt have the ability/willingness to sign him.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Re: Three things...

Bruce said:
tromadz:

three things:

2.) It is Bull $hit to try and claim this is T.T. 1st season as a GM for multiple reasons:

tromadz said:
forget about green.

ok, depack, ill respond to bruces..again..

Bruce is probably one of the best posters here. HE disagreed with me. He didnt come on here and call me names, mock me, or use stupid smilies to try and be a smartass. He used facts and then stated his opinion accordingly. I love the bruce.

As I said above(depack insisted I post this twice), I misspoke when I said first year (I wanted to say big test). Then I went on to say although 2006 will be huge, his moves in 2005 deserve credit and criticisms too. He made some good draft picks, but he hit us in the pocketbook with getting rid of hunt and sherman. I personally think it was worth it, but thats me. He tried (and missed, i admit) to get us good guards( I still argue we couldnt afford them) as replacements, and didnt do a good job(but hes not the one who put Klemm in the lineup. We have a lot of guys on the team, not all of them are starters. thats the coaches job) But he also brought in gado, etc. So he made some good moves, and bad moves. So I agree with you bruce. Good moves, and bad moves...but my main point in this is that 2006 will have a much bigger impact than 2005.

Now Ahman Green. You stick up for green, and I understand. I like green, I have his jersey, and wear it proudly. You say that this year he was thrown out there with a center who could barely stand and some bad guards. I agree! However...it didnt stop Gado(im not praising gado, hes just the back that came in and do well). Gado got 100+ yards twice...in the first half of games.

That was 2005 though, in 2004 he barely eclipsed the 1000 yard mark, got hurt, and didnt score 10 rush touchdowns even. This year he was hurt..AGAIN.

That is NOT GOOD for a RB. They have short life spans in the NFL, and hes nearing 30 years old. He fumbles more than he should, and doesnt switch arms when he should.

I like ahman but I think its time to part ways....especially since he will want more money than (i think) he is worth. But thats me.

It was nice having a good debate with you bruce. We will probably just agree to disagree, but we both presented the facts, and put our opinions out there.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dude...point out where I called you name. Now go back and reread the post. Your last post wasn't even close to your first one. Kissing Bruce's *** doesn't make your first post go away, ******....now there....that's name calling. I didn't want to let you down.

OP
OP
B

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
By Todd Korth
, [email protected]
Date: Feb 9, 2006

Ahman Green wants to remain a Packer

Whether the Packers offer him a long-term or short-term contract, Ahman Green prefers to remain in Green Bay. The Pro Bowl running back is coming off a season in which he was hampered by injuries, but is confident that he will be ready to play when the 2006 season begins.

Green, who turns 29 on Feb. 16, was placed on season-ending injured reserve after sustaining a ruptured quadriceps tendon on Oct. 23 against the Minnesota Vikings. He recently told Sirius Sports Radio that all is well with his rehab, and that the Packers and his agent have talked off and on about a new contract. Green, who finished his eighth NFL season and sixth in Green Bay, is second on the Packers’ all-time rushing list with 7,103 yards. Jim Taylor tops the list with 8,207 yards.

Last year, Green finished with his lowest rushing output since his first two seasons in Seattle – 255 yards on 77 carries in five games and a career-low 3.3 yards per carry.

Green is scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent on March 3, but is not expected to draw interest, if any, from other NFL teams for a couple of reasons: The nature of his injury, which generally takes up to a year for a full recovery, and he is 'old' for a starting NFL running back. Green, however, has always kept himself in tip-top shape, so he is more likely to be ready to play sooner than later. He already began running in January, well ahead of schedule. He resides in the Green Bay area and continues to work out at Packer headquarters this off-season.

“The doctors are slowing me up because I’m a hard worker,â€

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
arrowgargantuan said:
relax you ******...lest ye be reprimanded with mean smiley faces like this one -----> :x

Careful arrow.....calling people ****** could get your hand slapped or could even get you banned by an overzealous moderator :wink:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts