A tale of two GM's.

H

HardRightEdge

Thompson better have one h*ll of a draft.

At the moment we're looking at Hayward at cover corner with no depth at the position; Pennel at NT with no depth at the position; and one of the several undistinguised and inexperienced players at ILB with no depth at the position.

There's draft and develop. Then there's beating the concept into the ground.

H

HardRightEdge

Chris Culliver signed with the Redskins. That's it. It's Tramon Williams now, or nobody.

H

HardRightEdge

the sky is falling DO NOT RELAX
The sky fell already on Jan. 18. My golf swing is currently a higher priority.

The Seattle game was the cruel, though logical, outcome of an inconsistent, patchwork defense, which to date has gone backward. Surrendering TD drives of 69, 50 and 87 yards over the last 7 minutes was not some bizarre accident. It was an echo of the early-season 7 straight quarters without forcing a punt. Capers' defenses in recent years have fell into spells of being unable to stop opponents. Part coaching, part talent...but we know the defensive coordinator isn't going anywhere so the talent needs significant upgrading.

As regards Williams, Raji and Guion, we're not talking about Pro Bowlers here. At best, they're average NFL starters. Williams gave up, by various counts, 8-10 TDs last season, Guion is not a 2-gap NT, and Raji is a reclamation project in a situation that does not bode well...ex-Pro Bowlers who lose their motor don't get it back.

The guys behind them are a step down; CB and NT free agents are picked over, not to mention Thompson is down to Spikes as the last ILB worth having, but he won't sign him because he wants speed at the position.

On the bright side, the rest of the division has been cap-constrained this off-season; none of these teams have improved themselves.

If you're happy with winning the division and then dumping out in the playoffs, then you're certainly entitled to that wish.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score

The Seattle game was the cruel, though logical, outcome of an inconsistent, patchwork defense, which to date has gone backward. Surrendering TD drives of 69, 50 and 87 yards over the last 7 minutes was not some bizarre accident. It was an echo of the early-season 7 straight quarters without forcing a punt. Capers' defenses in recent years have fell into spells of being unable stop opponents. Part coaching, part talent...but we know the defensive coordinator isn't going anywhere so the talent needs significant upgrading.

As regards Williams, Raji and Guion, we're not talking about Pro Bowlers here. At best, they're average NFL starters. Williams gave up, by various counts, 8-10 TDs last season, Guion is not a 2-gap NT, and Raji is a reclamation project in a situation that does not bode well...ex-Pro Bowlers who lose their motor don't get it back.

The guys behind them are a step down; CB and NT free agents are picked over, not to mention Thompson is down to Spikes as the last ILB worth having, but he won't sign him because he wants speed at the position.

On the bright side, the rest of the division has been cap-constrained this off-season; none of these teams have improved themselves.

If you're happy with winning the division and then dumping out in the playoffs, then you're certainly entitled to that wish.

Unbelievable! I thought I was the only one who felt this way. everytime I say something similar I get called spoiled, and told I should be happy with the success of making the playoffs and I don't know how good I have it.

it is actually refreshing to see that I am NOT the only person on this board that is not satisfied with playoff failure after failure combined with the fact that the Packers continue to do nothing to fix the defense. even if they were to sign both Williams and Raji all that means is we're still the same crappy defense we have always been with no idea who's going to play inside linebacker.

Last edited:
H

HardRightEdge

Unbelievable! I thought I was the only one who felt this way. everytime I say something similar I get called spoiled, and told I should be happy with the success of making the playoffs and I don't know how good I have it.

it is actually refreshing to see that I am NOT the only person on this board that is not satisfied with playoff failure after failure combined with the fact that the Packers have gone and you continue to do nothing to fix the defense. even if they were to sign both Williams and Raji all that means is we're still the same crappy defense we have always been with no idea who's going to play inside linebacker.
I can't say anybody has specifically addressed me with the word "spoiled".

Given that Woodson was fired after fuming over Kaepernick's historic romp (another Capers collapse), citing the lack of adjustments at halftime, consider yourself in good company.

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can't say anybody has specifically addressed me with the word "spoiled".

Given that Woodson was fired after fuming over Kaepernick's historic romp (another Capers collapse), citing the lack of adjustments at halftime, consider yourself in good company.

I suppose if I had to be honest with myself I probably say the same things as you just a hell of a lot more ****ish than you do. which is of course why people get pissed off at me and start saying the stuff I mentioned above.

That being said it looks like we're completely screwed at the inside linebacker position again and are probably going to have clay playing out of position for another year again.

D

Dan115

The Seattle game was the cruel, though logical, outcome of an inconsistent, patchwork defense, which to date has gone backward. Surrendering TD drives of 69, 50 and 87 yards over the last 7 minutes was not some bizarre accident. It was an echo of the early-season 7 straight quarters without forcing a punt. Capers' defenses in recent years have fell into spells of being unable to stop opponents. Part coaching, part talent...but we know the defensive coordinator isn't going anywhere so the talent needs significant upgrading.

I am feeling confident--- Can NOT wait for the season to begin. The Packers will start a whole NEW season.

Shanghai Pack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think this article really missed the boat on Seattle though. It said that Seattle doesn't have any future cap problems on the horizon and that's just simply not true. While they might have $44 million in cap projected for 2016 at the money, they need to re-sign Russell Wilson and Bobby Wagner and that's going to be costing probably somewhere around $30, maybe even $35 million in cap space eaten up. This trade for Graham, in my mindm was a one-two year thing to help keep their window open to win a Super Bowl when they still have Wilson for cheap. It has big short term advantages, but in the longer sense of things (and by which I mean only two/three years from now) it'll not be a good situation. They WILL have cap issues and they won't have had their first round pick the last two years to fill in those holes and have the cheap quality young guys that allowed them to rise up in the first place. They could easily experience a San Francisco level of decline in a few seasons.

While I'd like to see Thompson go for it a little bit more this offseason than he probably will and grab a few veteran defensive guys, I think his approach is the far superior one. We ought to have beaten Seattle last season if not for some of the most inexplicable and unfathomably boneheaded things I've ever seen. Next season is shaping up like us against them again. But the season after that? It'll be us and someone one else. And the year after is us and someone else. It takes a lot of luck and circumstance to actually win a Super Bowl. Thompson is insuring we are one of the 4-5 teams each year that has the opportunity to be in position to win it with his process. I couldn't be more satisfied with him. Now, I'm just hoping for a little bit more luck....

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Id rather wait n see what the team looks like post draft before I start screaming about what a horrible job Tt is doing with a roster that isn't finished yet

D

Deleted member 6794

At the moment we're looking at Hayward at cover corner with no depth at the position; Pennel at NT with no depth at the position; and one of the several undistinguised and inexperienced players at ILB with no depth at the position.

I think it's too early to be that negative about the 2015 defense. Normally I reserve judgement on the Packers offseason moves (or any other teams as a matter) until after the draft.

I have to admit though that I don't think Thompson will be able to address every single position of need on the defensive side of the ball in the draft.

As I've posted in another thread I would be disappointed if he won't sign any free agents to at least upgrade the ILB position but I'm still holding out hope something will get done in the next few weeks.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it's too early to be that negative about the 2015 defense. Normally I reserve judgement on the Packers offseason moves (or any other teams as a matter) until after the draft.

I have to admit though that I don't think Thompson will be able to address every single position of need on the defensive side of the ball in the draft.

As I've posted in another thread I would be disappointed if he won't sign any free agents to at least upgrade the ILB position but I'm still holding out hope something will get done in the next few weeks.

This post sums up the off season for me. I'll wait until the draft and FA are done. That covers better than %95 of your moves; in other words, that's pretty much the team you'll go into the season with.
The remaining issues will not all be covered in the draft, if any of them are. Let's wait and see what happens with FA, trades- if any- and the draft, and see where we stand then.

Clev44

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The problem is the fee agent ILB class is extremely weak. The best player on that list is Rolando McClain who will probably be suspended to start the year and has a lot of issues off the field. When has TT ever signed a guy like that? Colt llyrle was an aberration, and he barely lasted in Green Bay for 2 months. There is just no one worth signing currently at that inside linebacker position. We need to hope we find Someone in the draft or as a free agent. Another way would be a draft day trade, but that's not his MO

D

Deleted member 6794

The problem is the fee agent ILB class is extremely weak. The best player on that list is Rolando McClain who will probably be suspended to start the year and has a lot of issues off the field. When has TT ever signed a guy like that? Colt llyrle was an aberration, and he barely lasted in Green Bay for 2 months. There is just no one worth signing currently at that inside linebacker position. We need to hope we find Someone in the draft or as a free agent. Another way would be a draft day trade, but that's not his MO

Brandon Spikes is great at stopping the run but you have to partner him with an ILB capable of covering RBs and TEs.

I would be excited to sign him and get Eric Kendricks in the draft.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Free agency is over already?

DaveRoller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1 Super Bowl appearance in 10 years with Hall of Fame QBs under center every year.

Glaring talent deficiencies the past 3 seasons (ILBer in 2014, Safety 2013, and LT, C, and RB in 2012).

A nearly complete refusal to obtain veteran talent between 2006 and 2014 (when Peppers transformed a truly mediocre D with 6 of TT's 1st round picks in it).

Terrible Special Teams year after year that, shockingly, dearly cost the team in the NFC Championship game. (I know MM is primarily responsive for gifting the job to his pal Slocum).

Ridiculous contract offers to Jennings and Raji -- lucky they turned them down. Sadly Hawk and B. Jones signed theirs.

TT has done many wonderful things but his reluctance to add veteran talent has cost the Packers in the end.

Many NFL GMs are too reckless. Only one is conservative to a fault. But hey the Pack is a heavy favorite to win the woeful NFC North again.

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Green Bay has been trying to fix its defense forever. With 53 man rosters and a hard cap NOBODY is dominant on both sides of the ball. It's a balancing act. Packers have the offensive side figured out but the D certainly needs work. I think the NT situation will work itself out. A pass rush will make a young secondary play better and I think that's the plan there. What solution they come up with at ILB will be interesting. I'm not so sure ILB is "out of position" for Mathews at this point in his career, could be where he needs to finish up.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Many NFL GMs are too reckless. Only one is conservative to a fault. But hey the Pack is a heavy favorite to win the woeful NFC North again.

They're also a favorite to win the Superbowl this year also but ya know.... Details

Who would u have liked TT to sign to transform this defense? No great ILB hit the market and only a handfull of meaningful DL hit the market this year.

If TT pursued and signed even 10% of the FA's that fans have clamored for over the years this team would be horrible and yes fans that think "only" making the NFC Championship game means the season was an utter failure and anything out side of a Superbowl victory is a bust are spoiled fans just looking to complain

Members online

Latest posts