A star is shinning in Pittsburgh

KilrB

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Roethlisberger's arm was moving slightly forward on his own power before contact was made.

Um, no. I could see if it was called an incomplete pass to review it and up hold it.
But since it was called a fumble, and there is not enough evidence to over turn it, it should have stood. :star-wars:

The call was total keep east coast teams in the play off hunt so we can keep people watching BS.

hbk314

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Um, no. I could see if it was called an incomplete pass to review it and up hold it.
But since it was called a fumble, and there is not enough evidence to over turn it, it should have stood. :star-wars:

The call was total keep east coast teams in the play off hunt so we can keep people watching BS.
If that were true, I'd agree with you. It was pretty clear that it was going forward.

GoSlash27

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I definitely wouldn't blame the refs. It really just came down to pure dumb luck. Big Ben happened to have the best day any quarterback has ever had wearing black 'n' gold on the day we played you, and we needed every single one of those yards to barely squeak by you.
Our receiver corps is hurting after that game, so we won't be winning any more games by that strategy.

IAC, sometimes things just go hinky and you end up losing games that should have otherwise been wins. It happens (believe me, I know) :D
You guys are pretty well set for the playoffs, so no harm no foul. Good luck against Seattle!

ThinkICare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
hbk, everyone knows the refs blew that fumble call, even Big Ben was surprised it was overturned.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score

GoSlash27

Cheesehead
Reaction score
From the link:
FOX’s camera crew offered a number of clear angles, and I just watched those replays a dozen times. I even slowed down the sequence to a frame-by-frame pace to see if, as NFL rules require, “the ball initially moves forward after leaving the passer’s hand.” I’m sorry, but I can’t see it.
If this is indeed the rule, I have no idea how the ruling on the field could have been overturned. However...
The way I always understood it was that if the passer's arm is coming forward in an attempt to throw, it's an incomplete pass.
Not being a homer, but that's what it looked like to me. *shrug*

But for the sake of argument, let's say that it was a bad ruling. Should've been a fumble and GB gets the ball on the Pittsburgh 27.
but instead...

Pittsburgh punts, you guys get the ball at your own 27. 2 plays later, Driver clowns Willie Gay (grumble) and you're right back at the our 24 yard line anyway.

I don't see where it changed anything.

KilrB

Cheesehead
Reaction score
From the link:

If this is indeed the rule, I have no idea how the ruling on the field could have been overturned. However...
The way I always understood it was that if the passer's arm is coming forward in an attempt to throw, it's an incomplete pass.
Not being a homer, but that's what it looked like to me. *shrug*

But for the sake of argument, let's say that it was a bad ruling. Should've been a fumble and GB gets the ball on the Pittsburgh 27.
but instead...

Pittsburgh punts, you guys get the ball at your own 27. 2 plays later, Driver clowns Willie Gay (grumble) and you're right back at the our 24 yard line anyway.

I don't see where it changed anything.

I dont see anyone here saying we would have won because of it. The refs interfered with questionable calls (or no calls) that favored the steelers.

Momentum can change the game. That play could have dont that.

The point is in a 1 point game we will never know, because the refs #$%&ed with the game.

GoSlash27

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I dont see anyone here saying we would have won because of it. The refs interfered with questionable calls (or no calls) that favored the steelers.
Ya know... Every team in the league has a few fans that insist that the refs are either against their team or or intentionally boosting the other team. We get them in Steeler Nation as well. In fact, we've got a [ame="http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=44927"]sister thread[/ame] over at SteelersFever.Com complaining about the refs trying to hand you guys this game (which I don't buy either).
We've lost major games over the years that are *directly* attributable to poor officiating/ bizarre calls. I hate bad officiating as much as anybody else; I'm the only guy I know up at our local Stiller bar who actually complains about bad calls/ no calls when they go our way.

But here's the thing: You've got to find a way to win that makes poor officiating irrelevant. That non-hold that cost us the '07 playoff game to the Jags (ref issued an apology), the blown incomplete pass call that cost you guys the '98 wildcard game to the 'Niners.
Neither would have mattered if we hadn't let the games be close in the first place.

You think the overturn on the fumble call was bad, and I'm sure nothing I can say will change your mind on that point. But as far as the refs *favoring* Pittsburgh in that game? You were penalized 7 times for 53 yards. They tagged us 10 times for 84 yards. So no... A **** Named Slickback can't cosign on that one, brother.:acute:

Best wishes for you 'n' yours for a safe and happy Christmas, and best of luck in the playoffs!
P.S. Here's to a cleanly officiated game with no injuries next time we meet!

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ya know... Every team in the league has a few fans that insist that the refs are either against their team or or intentionally boosting the other team. We get them in Steeler Nation as well. In fact, we've got a sister thread over at SteelersFever.Com complaining about the refs trying to hand you guys this game (which I don't buy either).
We've lost major games over the years that are *directly* attributable to poor officiating/ bizarre calls. I hate bad officiating as much as anybody else; I'm the only guy I know up at our local Stiller bar who actually complains about bad calls/ no calls when they go our way.

But here's the thing: You've got to find a way to win that makes poor officiating irrelevant. That non-hold that cost us the '07 playoff game to the Jags (ref issued an apology), the blown incomplete pass call that cost you guys the '98 wildcard game to the 'Niners.
Neither would have mattered if we hadn't let the games be close in the first place.

You think the overturn on the fumble call was bad, and I'm sure nothing I can say will change your mind on that point. But as far as the refs *favoring* Pittsburgh in that game? You were penalized 7 times for 53 yards. They tagged us 10 times for 84 yards. So no... A **** Named Slickback can't cosign on that one, brother.:acute:

Best wishes for you 'n' yours for a safe and happy Christmas, and best of luck in the playoffs!
P.S. Here's to a cleanly officiated game with no injuries next time we meet!
I absolutely agree with you and never said anything other than we should've won the game anyway.

What I can't stand is to say that the refs didn't influence the game, which is a mistake.

To me there's two separate issues, and as I've said before, one doesn't exclude the other.

The fact that the refs "helped" you doesn't discredit your victory, and specially Big Ben's play, and doesn't change the fact that IMHO we should've won the game, given the circumstances.

And let it be clear that I called a loss in the first place, because I knew the game could've been decided by a missed FG or a bad coverage, and the fact that any given game still can be decided by a missed FG or bad coverage still grinds my gears...

GoSlash27

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What I can't stand is to say that the refs didn't influence the game, which is a mistake.

To me there's two separate issues, and as I've said before, one doesn't exclude the other.
Agreed. I hate the fact that we still have obvious bad officiating even after the institution of instant replay. That nonsense shouldn't be influencing games. Bad spots, bad calls, no calls... it's hard enough to win football games without that being thrown in the mix...

Meh. Hope you had a great Christmas!

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed. I hate the fact that we still have obvious bad officiating even after the institution of instant replay. That nonsense shouldn't be influencing games. Bad spots, bad calls, no calls... it's hard enough to win football games without that being thrown in the mix...

Meh. Hope you had a great Christmas!
Did, thanks for the thoughts! Same here, hope you and everybody had a Christmas as good as mine, or Festivus, Chanuka or Kwanza for those non-christians!

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts