A-Rod-- Too opinionated?

12theTruth

http://www.foxsportswisconsin.com/1...nding_packers.html?blockID=836653&feedID=5196

Me thinks Aaron needs to end these shows like the one with Jason Wilde. Wilde does a great job eliciting provacative responses by Rodgers but this response of Aaron's is going to burn him a bit.

He was doing fine in his initial response but then had to add in that last unfortunate line..

It may be the truth and I do happen to agree with him but its really, really dumb that Aaron actually said it to the media.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"I wasn't thrilled with the call, to be honest with you," Rodgers said Monday on the NFL Network. "At that point, I think it was 7:57 on the clock, we're up two scores, we've been moving the ball pretty well. Maybe not the right call in that situation.

"Just not a very intelligent call at that point in the game."

With the Bears punting, Packers return man Randall Cobb fielded the ball as always, except this time he threw it across the field to rookie Jeremy Ross. Cobb's throw was a bit low and Ross mishandled it, allowing Chicago's Anthony Walters to scoop it up. That gave the Bears possession just 16 yards away from the end zone with a chance to get within four points.

"That was clearly my responsibility and clearly not the highlight of my coaching career," coach Mike McCarthy said after the game

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It was the dumbest call I have ever seen, that I can recall.

Rodgers comments here are fine.
McCarthy's wife ripped him about it when he got home late Sunday night probably.... it's ok in the end since we won.

Luckily.

Rodgers has said a few things over the line maybe, but I don't think this was even close to the line.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree he shouldn't be calling out his coach in the media, but I don't think that was the intent at all here and agree that it's really not a big deal.

MM pretty much said the same thing himself. This is doubtful to ever even come up in a conversation between the two. And if it does, it'll be behind closed doors.

OP
OP

12theTruth

Do you see Brady or Manning making public statements as to the intelligence of their coaches play calling? I certainly haven't. It's one thing for McCarthy or his wife to make comment but its a whole different animal when your signal caller does...

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
I yelled so hard at the TV, I had to stuff my larynx back into my throat.

McCarthy probably agrees that it wasn't a very intelligent thing to do.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Manning criticized the entire Colts organization in 2009 for not being "on the same page" in regards to the roles of the coaching staff. It's not unprecedented and I don't think this will be an issue at all.

Should Rodgers have stopped short of that statement...yeah, probably. But it's not like he just grabbed a microphone and ripped MM.

The Rivalry

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ARod voicing his opinion won't come back to bite him or the team in the collective ***. Primarily because we won the game. And winning solves everything.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Do you see Brady or Manning making public statements as to the intelligence of their coaches horrible play call? ...
Brady and Manning have never had their coach make a call as bad as that one so.... again, there was no reason at all for it, at that point in time, and spot on the field, and under those circumstances. It was brutal. It was like an onside kick with 7 minutes to go when we're up by 3.

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
Everybody is saying it's a totally stupid call and I'd agree to a degree but I loved it.
If that pass was complete he had the edge all the way up the field. Imagine how that would have destroyed the Bears and all of their fans. I just wish it had been Boykin but that may have looked odd if he doesn't play ST.
Sometimes you just have to grow a pair. Gambling can pay off if you can accept the losing side of the coin. It may not be "smart" or even "prudent" but there's a place for it in life.
To me it means we don't have to worry about our coach being tentative or playing scared. That's what going for the jugular is. You'll never have to wonder if MM has the stones to be a killer head coach.
To even consider it is a monstrous vote of confidence in our defense against the Bears. The Packers had practiced this play before. You know they'd never try it against an offense like the Patriots.
Sorry, I just think it was fantastic. I'm just that kind of player. If you can handle the loss and you're confident in your chances why not?
We'd be saying how stupid the fake field goal was in the first Bear game if it hadn't worked. MM is ballsy, smart and confident.... and accountable. Great coaches don't grow on trees nor do HOF QBs. You folks should be appreciating both while they are in Green Bay.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Actually what ARod said there doesn't bother me because it's basically correct. What doesn't sit well with me are the comments he made about Alex Smith "not being appreciated" in SF and saying that Alex deserves a team that does appreciate him. After seeing what Kaepernick did the other night against the Pats, I don't think Rodgers has any business saying that.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So the Pats never went for it on 4th and 2 on their 28 up by 6 with 2 mins to go vs the Colts?
That one made a lot more sense, and I HATE Belichick.
It made more sense because Manning had been CARVING HIS DEFENSE UP and most likely if he punted, he'd never get the ball back.

In our case Sunday, had their offense been carving us up?
Obviously not....

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
Mixed feelings.

Should probably save it for the coaches office.

I agree. But, I am not too worried about Rodgers' comments becoming a long term issue in the media. Jermichael Finley is over-due to say something incredibly stupid very soon. And the spotlight will most certainly move away from Rodgers. :laugh:

H

HardRightEdge

When asked about something as incredibly stupid as that call, you have three choices. (1) Defend it, and make yourself look like a co-fool. (2) Say what is obvious, which is what he said. (3) Break down in tears and leave the interview, a la Brandon Marshall, thereby avoiding answering the question.

Tough decision.

H

HardRightEdge

So the Pats never went for it on 4th and 2 on their 28 up by 6 with 2 mins to go vs the Colts?

That was a terrible call. He tried the same thing a second time not long after (I think the following season), which was also a terrible call. That second one also failed, but that's beside the point. If you're going to publicly declare that your D sucks, you might as well just pack it in for the season.

Our fake punt/Kuhn run deep in our territory was a horrible call, but it happened to have succeeded so it is cheered, or at least the foolishness overlooked.

It comes down to risk/reward. What does it buy you if it works; what does it cost you if it fails. In all of these cases, the potential cost of failure is extremely high.

Reaction score
If you want a mannequin sheep like doofus as your QB, then go ahead and cheer for the jets...

I like our guy, I think it's awesome to get some perspective from a league MVP, we live in a country with that thing ....called the 1st amendment, if you don't like his opinions, don't read 'em - problem solved.

H

HardRightEdge

I'm not going to hold it against him. It's a rarity, not something he does consistently to the point where it becomes a distraction.

Rodgers also dissed the scout team earlier this year for not properly studying/replicating the opponent.

This is a guy with a very deep understanding of the game, and his public criticisms are rare as you note, so the principals should sit up and take notice. Enough of the hair brain gadget plays.

It's important to keep in mind the role of the elite QB in the NFL. The head coach is his "boss" in name only. You might call them partners. Both are faces of the franchise. They are in effect peers.

If Rodgers did something incredibly dumb, you would not be taken aback if MM mentioned a poor Rodgers' decision even if he does not refer to him by name. So, the shoe is on the other foot.

Now, if Rodgers mentions that he's contemplating retirement this off season, or doesn't show up to camp, then he relinquishes authority. ;)

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

I dont think its a hanging offence to say what was fairly obviously a wrong play, although it wasn`t THAT bad an idea if it had worked.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
Arod, IMO, has held his words in check for a long damn time. All that drama with Favre and arod was just humble and kept to himself. As the team capt., MVP winner, SB champ......I do think that he has a right to speak up and make statements. As long as he is professional about what he says and does not spew garbage like cutler does, I say he has a right to speak up once in a while as long as it is a valid point. Hell, I'm surprised we have not even heard so much as a mumble about how terrible his O line is and how much he has gotten beat the hell up this year. Arod being mute about that subject alone says a lot about him. The guy is def a cool cat for taking a lot of crap and a lot of beatings on the field and keeping hush about it, he could have easily been outspoken to his linemen and at times his WR's. but he has not.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts