1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
  2. Announcement is LIVE: Read the Forum Post

A question about Brian Brohm

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by peteski, Apr 28, 2010.

1. peteski

peteski Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I am a Bills fan and I was wondering what you guys think of Brian Brohm.
    He has a shot to start this season and not much is known about him. I just want to know what you guys think of him and how you felt when we took him of your practice squad.
    Just to let you know that I like the Packers and they are my son's favorite team. I just want to know about Brohm. I hope he has the tools to be successful, but you guys would probably know a lot more about him then me.
    Thanks for helping me out and good luck next season.

2. CM_Awesome

CM_Awesome Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4
    I was upset when the Bills took him only because it was basically a 2nd round pick going straight down the drain. He really didn't show much when he was here and was constantly outperformed by 7th round pick Matt Flynn. Now while stating that, I must say I like Brohm a lot. Thought he was a great QB in college and was extremely excited when the Packers drafted him. I wish it would have turned out better but what's done is done. I still think he has the potential to be a solid starting QB, but I must say I am pretty doubtful about that now. I wouldn't give up on him just yet though. I feel sorry if he does start because Buffalo has no offensive line at all and Brohm is just going to get pummled.

3. cyoung

cyoung Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2
    It's true, with that offensive line any quarterback will have to get ready to scramble.

4. NYPacker

NYPacker Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +38
    Thank you for your kind and words and good luck to the Bills this season.

Brian Brohm was a highly rated QB prospect who everyone thought was going to eventually start one day in the NFL. Sadly he never met expectations and was consistently beaten out in training camp and the preseason. Though I do admit that Brohm is fit to be a leader and hard working kind of guy, his production on the field never showed it. He didn't do so well for the Bills from what I've heard and as Packer fans thought, he may have done better off given a fresh start. So while it's optomistic to think Brohm can show something later down the road, it's highly doubtful that he can be anything other than a backup QB.

I wasn't as upset that we lost Brohm to the Bills as much as we did with Jamon Meredith. The Bills found a franchise-caliber tackle when he was taken off our practice squad.

5. CM_Awesome

CM_Awesome Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4
    I would agree with that. I was basically upset with the Brohm pick because it was a 2nd round pick that we gave up on after just one season. Losing Brohm though didn't hurt us at all. All he ever was for us was an insurance policy pick. In case Rodgers didn't pan out. Well that's my view on it anyway. And Flynn has been a pleasant surprise and is a decent backup.

6. Incubes12

Incubes12 Bay Harbor Butcher?

Ratings:
    +317
    I think Brohm certainly has the potential to be a franchise QB in this league. He needs to be developed though. He has the height and strength of a certain unnamed QB who plays for a devilish team in the northeast and he has some NFL experience. He hasn't started much and he hasn't really played in many games, but it would have been hard for him to just sit and watch Favre and Rodgers and not pick up a few things. I thought it was stupid of Buffalo fans to write him off after one game last year anyways. Give him a chance, especially with Spiller around now to take some pressure of him.

7. Packer_Bandit

Packer_Bandit Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    The guy couldnt hit the broad-side of a barn let alone a reciever. Good luck with that guy. He was a total bust in GB's eyes.

8. NYPacker

NYPacker Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +38
    He looked absolutely tremendous coming out of college. Footwork, mechanics, awareness, it was all there. What happened????

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxC2WrG8cuQ]YouTube - Brian Brohm[/ame]

9. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,115
    He had a "deer in headlights" look to him when he was in GB. The NFL speeds up football so much, some players just are never able to make the jump. He was one of them. Maybe it will slow down for him in Buffalo though

10. PackersRS

PackersRS Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +979
    He couldn't beat Matt Flynn for the job, he looked awkward in the pocket, and his throws lacked velocity...

I wanted to keep him, to see if in the famous "3rd year of the WCO" he would pan out, but truth is, he was terrible in GB...

11. NYPacker

NYPacker Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +38
    During this year's draft, Chris Mortenson reported that the Packers made an effort to get Brohm back. Did anyone else hear of this?

12. CM_Awesome

CM_Awesome Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4
    Nope...I'd be surprised if that was true.

13. Jess

Jess Movement!

Ratings:
    +471
    He was god awful. I'm rooting for him to prove me wrong, but right now I'm very glad he's gone.

14. TheGiftedApe

TheGiftedApe TheGiftedApe

Ratings:
    +77
    good arm, dumb as a bag of bricks though.

15. peteski

peteski Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Green Bay offered him a contract when Buffalo did. Brohm thought he would have a better shot at playing in Buffalo because they did not have an established QB.
    He was right. He got his first start. He didn't play great, but he didn't do too bad for only practicing with the starters for one week and only knowing the playbook for a month.
    He didn't do better or worse than any of the QBs Buffalo had.

16. Powarun

Powarun Big Bay Blues fan

Ratings:
    +416
    I liked Brohm too, thought it was kind of funny that one of A-Rod's back ups were already a starter on another team. I think he still has potential and hopefully Buffalo will back him up.

17. DTown SBrown

DTown SBrown Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +48
    highly touted out of college, didnt blossom here, although it was during a horrible campaign. He wasnt able to beat out Matt Flynn, who was drafted several rounds later, for the #2 spot.

Thats when his competition was nonexistant for the job. Hopefully he turns out, but I have a feeling he will be a career clip board holder. He looked completely frozen each time he went into a game for us, including the preseason against 3-4 stringers/ street FAs.

Sorry, but you guys will need to continue to look after this year. I will be surprised and disappointed if he wins the job out there. It will only show a complete lack of talent among your QB roster.

18. Closet Fan

Closet Fan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Would anyone rather have Trent Edwards or Ryan Fitzpatrick as their backup over Matt Flynn? How good is he? Obviously, he was better than Brohm, but how much is that saying about him?

19. peteski

peteski Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Trent Edwards played well in the 2008 season until he got drilled in a game against the Cardinals. He has only had a handful of good games since then and has become gun shy.
    They call him Captain Checkdown now. He did have a lot of promise tho, but now this will probably be his last year in Buffalo.
    I want Brohm to succeed. Do you think it was mostly confidence issues with him?

20. bravesman18

bravesman18 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4
    I felt like Brohm had some of the talent, but he clearly lacked confidence. Sometimes that can be all the difference between being good or bad. A person is often more successful when they are more confident in whatever it is they're doing.

21. PackersRS

PackersRS Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +979
    Not me. I'm high on Flynn. The guy's a winner, he looked comfortable in the pocket when playing for us, and this is his 3rd year into MM's WCO, which is the period required to master a WCO playbook.

If MM, a notorious QB coach, likes him, so do I.

22. NYPacker

NYPacker Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +38
    I agree. I think that Flynn was steal (boy TT has been hitting home runs in the 7th round.) I'm not saying that he'll be a Tom Brady-like steal but a QB that you can really depend on. His accuracy and awareness keeps getting better after every game. Sure he threw that 1 INT in the Cards game but take a look before that and you'll see him consistently make a lot of good throws. I just wish we had the money to keephim around because if he plays better next preseason he may want a higher salary and a chance to start for another team.

23. FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,679
    I don't see another team investing a lot of money to bring Flynn in next year.
    His physical skills are modest at best.

The only possible exception would be if Rodgers went down for a long period of time and Flynn came in and racked up big numbers a la Matt Cassel in 2008. That could happen, but let's sure hope it doesn't.

24. PackersRS

PackersRS Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +979
    So were Hasselback's...

25. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,115
    What about Seattle trading for Whitehurst?