A Packers/saints Recap

Havners Heroes

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My site's recap of Packers/Saints:

http://sevendaysofsunday.com/2011/09/08/packerssaints-recap-thank-god-football-is-back/

AJ Hawk really looked like a liability in coverage, but then again any linebacker is gonna have their hands full trying to cover Darren Sproles. I also think people on other sites are going overboard calling these two defenses "terrible"-- these were two of the best offenses in the league going head to head right after a lockout offseason. Fundamentals were definitely going to be bad, especially when the defenses had to contend with the kind of firepower these offenses feature.

okcpackerfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I will say that both defenses did look bad in pass defense. Not even just mediocre, they looked bad. As you hit on there are a lot of reasons for this, the lockout being the main reason. Also, let us not forget Drew Brees has been the best passer (from a completion %) in the NFL the past 4 years and Aaron Rodgers can make some of the best throws you will ever see. I think people get caught up looking at single games and not the whole picture, no doubt our defense will get better as the season goes on.

During a lockout its easy to play pass and catch and keep in offensive shape, but I doubt many defensive backs went against NFL talent to stay in "coverage shape"

neilfii

Hall of Fame Fan
Reaction score
Guys, I agree with most of what you posted, and said similar things before the game, but the truth is our defense was atrocious at wrapping people up and bringing them down. That is not a concern with or for this game only: that is a concern for the season, and if it doesn't get fixed and fixed soon it is going to be an awfully long season for us and especially for our defense. The miserable tackling technique had nothing to do with the quality of the Saints offense IMHO and that's the part of the poor defensive showing that really bothered me.

PWT

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Guys, I agree with most of what you posted, and said similar things before the game, but the truth is our defense was atrocious at wrapping people up and bringing them down. That is not a concern with or for this game only: that is a concern for the season, and if it doesn't get fixed and fixed soon it is going to be an awfully long season for us and especially for our defense. The miserable tackling technique had nothing to do with the quality of the Saints offense IMHO and that's the part of the poor defensive showing that really bothered me.

OP
OP
Havners Heroes

Havners Heroes

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Oh I agree for sure, but the thing is, I'm not AS worried about it as I typically would be because I think this will be a problem that EVERY team suffers from this year, thanks tot he lockout. I imagine by week 5 or 6 we'll start seeing better tackling in general around the league, but it's gonna take a bit.

We get the Panthers to knock around for practice next week, so hopefully things will look better!

slaughter25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I dont understand people being sympathetic towards poor tackling. These guys are PROESSIONAL FOOTBALL PLAYERS! They have been taught how to tackle for over 10 years how is one summer of non contact mini camps and OTAs going to change that?

OP
OP
Havners Heroes

Havners Heroes

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I dont understand people being sympathetic towards poor tackling. These guys are PROESSIONAL FOOTBALL PLAYERS! They have been taught how to tackle for over 10 years how is one summer of non contact mini camps and OTAs going to change that?

I don't think anybody's saying it's excusable, just that it was to be expected. These guys may have been doing it for a long time, but 6 months with absolutely no football activities will absolutely lead to some of the fundamentals slipping away. That's why they spend so much time in OTAs and the beginning of training camp working on those fundamentals-- to give a refresher course and get everybody used to contact and tackling form again.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts