A little Seattle rubbed off on them

njpackersfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just having lunch. Don't post much at all. Just wanted to say that for once I saw a game opposite what I'm used to. We watch the Packers allways get a lead to then lift their foot off the gas and lose a lead. Case in point Seattle. Playoffs and regular season. This time the Packers, even as ugly as it looked, came back from a huge deficit and got it on the last play of the game. I hope they right the ship, and I would like to see them be "that team" in the playoffs. Not the team that is the favorite, but the one that others worry about due to their grit. I had enough of seeing good regular seasons go up in smoke. It's time for another 2010 style run.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't remember the exact record, but during a game earlier this year the broadcast said Rodgers record with a two score lead is 30-40 win and 2 loses.

No, the Packers do not always take their foot off the gas simply because it happened in one important game.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't remember the exact record, but during a game earlier this year the broadcast said Rodgers record with a two score lead is 30-40 win and 2 loses.

No, the Packers do not always take their foot off the gas simply because it happened in one important game.

What was the margin of victory? Easing up doesn't necessarily mean turning a win into a loss, just a closer win than it should have been.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What was the margin of victory? Easing up doesn't necessarily mean turning a win into a loss, just a closer win than it should have been.

Does it matter when they still win? Plus, winning with a narrower lead doesn't mean they automatically let off.

Or could just at look at all the blowouts last season. Or passing on 3rd down late to end the two games proir to Seattle, at Vikings game, and New England game.

The statement that Packers always take the their foot off the gas because of the NFC championship has been made many times on this forum and it's not even close to correct. Drawing conclusions based on one game and ignoring the rest of the season doesn't make sense at all.

red4tribe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Does it matter when they still win? Plus, winning with a narrower lead doesn't mean they automatically let off.

Or could just at look at all the blowouts last season. Or passing on 3rd down late to end the two games proir to Seattle, at Vikings game, and New England game.

The statement that Packers always take the their foot off the gas because of the NFC championship has been made many times on this forum and it's not even close to correct. Drawing conclusions based on one game and ignoring the rest of the season doesn't make sense at all.

While I agree with most of what you're saying, to be fair, people have been complaining about this long before last year's NFC Championship game. I remember that being a prevalent complaint on this forum dating back to the 2010 season.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Does it matter when they still win? Obviously, I think it does. If a team gives away some of its lead in one game by pulling off the gas, it may well give it all away in a future game. In addition, just the pure 'killer instinct' argument. Plus, winning with a narrower lead doesn't mean they automatically let off. Maybe not automatically, but it was obvious to many that they did.

The statement that Packers always (maybe others, but I doubt if you can find anyplace I use terms like 'always' - just like when someone complains about a particular situation and someone retorts with the ever-popular 'you can't have a team with an All-Pro at every position') take the their foot off the gas because of the NFC championship has been made many times on this forum (again, hyperbole isn't my thing) and it's not even close to correct. Drawing conclusions based on one game and ignoring the rest of the season doesn't make sense at all. No argument there. Wasn't done. Most folks just point out the most egregious examples.

SeahawkFan80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Prevent offense works pretty much the same way as the prevent defense.....PREVENTS THE WIN, usually.

D

Deleted member 6794

I don't know exactly about what point differential you were talking in your original post about this topic but here's what I figured out about the Packers with Rodgers at QB with a 16+ points lead at any point during a game.

Their overall record in such games (including playoffs) is 40-2 with 30 of the wins (75%) ending up by at least 16 points as well.

Taking that into consideration I think that the Packers mostly taking their foot off the gas is a myth.

OP
OP
njpackersfan

njpackersfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wow. I post about a feeling that I had about a game that went different than I am used to seeing and it gets turned into a stat debate. Relax guys. Just say, "I don't feel the same because they won so easily for the pass umpteen years that I can confidently walk away at halftime knowing they will win the game even if they are up 2 scores especially in the playoffs"

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wow. I post about a feeling that I had about a game that went different than I am used to seeing and it gets turned into a stat debate. Relax guys. Just say, "I don't feel the same because they won so easily for the pass umpteen years that I can confidently walk away at halftime knowing they will win the game even if they are up 2 scores especially in the playoffs"

That's how the forum works. Someone posts something and other people respond, often using evidence to back it up rather than posting based on a feeling.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Everything is relative, subjective, or semantics. It would be interesting to see how "often" evidence is used, and even then, it really doesn't matter, because of the "you can't really trust _____".

Members online

Latest posts