1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
  2. Announcement is LIVE: Read the Forum Post

A Leaner, Meaner Bubba?

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by Greg C., Aug 3, 2007.

1. Greg C.

Greg C. Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm trying not to be cynical, but isn't this pretty much the same Bubba Franks article we've seen for the past three years at the beginning of training camp? I hope this one proves to have some substance. It's encouraging that he's trimmed a few pounds, at least:

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=641059

2. Zombieslayer

Zombieslayer Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm wondering if Bubba will be the good ol' Bubba if he didn't have to stay back and block so much. Thus, Bubba's success may rest on the success of our OL.

Or at least I hope. I like Bubba and would love more than anything for him to have a 10 TD season.

3. CalifPacker

CalifPacker Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    I would like to see Bubba rebound and contribute this season.

4. Greg C.

Greg C. Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Oh yes, this has been discussed many times before in this forum, and I agree. But let's face it: When his number was called last year, he was often not up to the task. And if he was more of a receiving threat, the coaches would have him running more routes.

5. bozz_2006

bozz_2006 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +650
    right, but i don't think it's fair to say he didn't contribute. he blocked a lot, and he did a good job at that.

6. Tiger

Tiger Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    The problem was Bubba's number was rarely called, hes a confiedence player and he seemed pretty demoralised last year due to the assignments he was being given and lack of opportunities to establish a rhythm in pass catching. Ultimately when his number was called he seemed nervous and unsure of himself. I believe this was the cause of his poor play last year. Also i believe dropping him to 2nd and 3rd team offense isnt gonna improve him. It will be interesting to see how he fares this year but from his perspective perhaps a new start on a new team would serve him better.

7. spardo62

spardo62 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    If the offensive line progresses as expected, I see this offense being very TE friendly(even if the TE cannot stretch the field). Franks will perform closer to his previous levels than his last year level in my opinion. If Lee can stay healthy, he can be the seam stretcher and Franks the underneath/possesion/red zone target.

8. warhawk

warhawk Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +38
    It's a double edged sword. You need to give the TE position the opportunities but last year they didn't respond and you can't keep calling drive ending plays.

What we really NEED is the TE to be able to produce in those third down and five or sixes to keep drives alive. The problem is they were dropping so many balls in those situations the coaches HAD to go away from that.

The problem this creates is this is one less thing the defenses have to be concerned about. If BF had a strong TE corp it would put a tremendous stress on the defense.

As I have said before I have more concern about this position than RB. I think the line will be blocking better and that the RB's we have will be more effective than the TE's.

MM is talking about a clean slate with respect to giving the TE position the opportunites to be successful.

I really hope Lee and Bubba respond. Otherwise the coaches will be forced to run them out there as decoys and hope somebody makes a play. That's not what we need to happen.

I believe Bubba can still do it and it's a matter of how much want to and work he put's into it. He's not THAT old or had that kind of injury background to be to beat up to get it done.

He either makes a move now or he's likely he's done. His career will be over if he plays like hed did year ago.

9. pack_in_black

pack_in_black Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    From the reports I'm reading, the TE's are getting involved, slicing the seam and actually holding onto passes deep down the middle. As long as the pass is made early in the play, (as opposed to late) it's a very effective route when you're playing against a Tampa-2 D.

That, in case you forgot, is the D that every defense in the NFC North besides us mainly runs.

I'm still concerned, but I like what i'm hearing so far.

10. porky88

porky88 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm not counting on Bubba to be much of a factor this year unless we're inside the 10 yard line of our opponent. Donald Lee is the guy that I think is going to be the make or break player of our TE core. Bubba to me is past his prime. I hope I'm wrong but from what I've seen he hasn't been that much different or hasn't really turned heads yet. At least in my opinion. Lee I believe will be the starter at TE this year.

11. Zombieslayer

Zombieslayer Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I hope you're right. And I hope Lee turns out to be good.