A key ingredient missing?

Greenbayphil

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The emotional battle.

Its something we had last year that I felt really helped us persevere.
We had so many guys on IR and the odds were against us but Woodson stepped up and was the emotional leader that spoke for the team and said the things that had to be said.

I can't help but feel getting off to such a good start this season that the emotional battle is not there really.

I might be completely wrong but I think it really helped with the superbowl run last year and I hope that Woodson can give the team that little edge that they had going into the playoffs, almost like being the underdog.

Thoughts?

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My thoughts are that WOODSON is overdue for a PICK-SIX.
Who will serve it up?
Orton this week?
Hanie next week on a Christmas Day platter?
Stafford on New Year's Day?

Or will it be a playoff Pick-SIX?

We've seen Peprah score, Tramon, Matthews, DJ or Francois? Raji?
It's time for WOODY to get himself a Lambeau Leap again.... maybe in Kansas City tomorrow?

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And Nick Collins is THE EMOTIONAL inspiration this time.
If that ain't emotional, a possible CAREER ENDING neck thing, from our glue in the backfield, there won't be one.

Nick has great faith in the Tebow mold too.
As does Mike Neal, Tramon Williams, CJ Wilson, Greg Jennings........

PackFanNChiTown

Bear Fan's Bane
Reaction score
The emotional battle.

Its something we had last year that I felt really helped us persevere.
We had so many guys on IR and the odds were against us but Woodson stepped up and was the emotional leader that spoke for the team and said the things that had to be said.

I can't help but feel getting off to such a good start this season that the emotional battle is not there really.

I might be completely wrong but I think it really helped with the superbowl run last year and I hope that Woodson can give the team that little edge that they had going into the playoffs, almost like being the underdog.

Thoughts?
I believe the team has all their emotions in order going into the final three games. They remain focused and refuse to become overconfident.

A win tomorrow locks up home field, leaving the final two games meaningless in terms of the playoffs. The team will want to pursue 16-0, especially against division rivals, but the true test begins in the divisional round.

Personally I'm not worried, I think this team knows exactly where they are and need to be mentally, physically, emotionally and spiritually.

GreenBayGal

Cheese Goddess
Reaction score
I understand what you're saying, GBP. Last year was a whirlwind of events. In the eleventh hour, overcoming all obstacles to sieze the golden ring. It was like a tremendous sugar rush without the crash. This year is different because we started off on top instead of someplace in the middle of the heap.
However, some place in this forum are threads such about sucking for luck, forgetting how to lose, and so on, which were started weeks ago. Right now we're 13-0. It looks to me like we don't need the odds against us to be winners. Whatever we're doing, it must be working. Maybe Charles is giving the team daily doses of pep just like last's years "One Team" inspiration.
I think we're on a roll to the top with such velocity that it would be hard to stop the train. I'm really diggin' the ride.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Not sure how you know there isnt an emotional leader/speech that has happened

I think Woodson speech you are talking about started in the playoffs? I can't recall, but I think it happened much later in the year..

Someone said Collins, he could have delivered a speech at some point too...But as GBG said, we are 13-0 time to have an emotional leader might be past?

OP
OP
Greenbayphil

Greenbayphil

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not sure how you know there isnt an emotional leader/speech that has happened

Im not suggesting as such that its not there, for all I know it could be.
But Im saying last year we had the whole fighting through the injuries and beating the odds as part of the driving force which was lead by Wood.
With getting off to such a great start what sort of stuff is there like last year to really motivate the players..
Maybe they don't need any motivation like that feeling of being the underdog. Maybe the guys just know what needs to be done on Sunday and just go do it.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Im not suggesting as such that its not there, for all I know it could be.
But Im saying last year we had the whole fighting through the injuries and beating the odds as part of the driving force which was lead by Wood.
With getting off to such a great start what sort of stuff is there like last year to really motivate the players..
Maybe they don't need any motivation like that feeling of being the underdog. Maybe the guys just know what needs to be done on Sunday and just go do it.

Ok, that makes sense..but still is the fact I think the Woodson speech came much later in the year

Maybe the emotional part is trying to repeat as SB Champs, because a repeat hasnt happened in a while...

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
Just picking up snippets of what some of the players comments have been this past month, I get the idea the Packers feel somewhat slighted by the attention given to other things, i.e. lockout, Suh, Lions, Tebow, Niners and they are using that for emotional motivation. One thing stuck with me that I either read or heard in an interview from Rodgers. He said it doesn't feel like they are Champions, yet. They want to earn that feeling.

GreenBayGal

Cheese Goddess
Reaction score
Just picking up snippets of what some of the players comments have been this past month, I get the idea the Packers feel somewhat slighted by the attention given to other things, i.e. lockout, Suh, Lions, Tebow, Niners and they are using that for emotional motivation. One thing stuck with me that I either read or heard in an interview from Rodgers. He said it doesn't feel like they are Champions, yet. They want to earn that feeling.
Somethings not right about that. If anyone should feel like a champion, it should be AR. IMO. They deserve said recognition.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I mentioned in another thread how remarkable it was McCarthy said in his first talk to the team in 2006 their biggest problem would be handling success. McCarthy is a meticulous planner who seems to have his finger on the pulse of his team. So IMO planning for and handling success are nothing new to him. What is new is dealing with the situation they are about to experience: What do you do when the team has every regular season goal accomplished and has a chance to go undefeated? Rodgers hinted last week he knows what the plan will be in that instance. I don’t know if that’s true or not, but we can rest assured McCarthy now has a plan in place for that eventuality.

In addition to having a HC who is clued in to the emotional state of his team, the Packers have great leadership on both sides of the ball in Woodson and Rodgers. There’s obviously no guarantee of 19-0. “Stuff” happens in life and in the NFL in spite of the best laid plans and great leadership. IMO if the Packers don’t win another Super Bowl it won’t be because they lacked leaders or weren’t emotional enough.

greenandgold

I'm Dirty Hairy Callahan
Reaction score
My thoughts are that WOODSON is overdue for a PICK-SIX.
Who will serve it up?
Orton this week?
Hanie next week on a Christmas Day platter?
Stafford on New Year's Day?

Or will it be a playoff Pick-SIX?

We've seen Peprah score, Tramon, Matthews, DJ or Francois? Raji?
It's time for WOODY to get himself a Lambeau Leap again.... maybe in Kansas City tomorrow?

I could see Hanie doing it. Just hope it isn't to Raji this time.

Wait, I liked the Raji dance, yeah, let him do it again.

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I think this team has plenty of emotion, but it comes from a different place. Last year, it was like, "We've been beaten and banged up like never before, but we can still do this." It was perseverance in the face of adversity thing.

This year it's different but no less emotional. This year, the team is on a specific mission to do what no other team has ever done. They want to make this year the second stage of a 3-tiered plan to become the first team to Three-peat in the NFL and they want to do it without losing a game. The emotion comes from the desire to become a legend.

Win the Super Bowl and you're the greatest for 7 months. Win it with a perfect record and you're simply.... The Greatest.

Lose a game and 15 years from now people will have to look up exactly when that was that the Packers almost pulled it off. Win them all and 50 years from now, people will know the 2011 Packers. I also think Rodgers punches a very early HOF ticket by going 19-0.

greenandgold

I'm Dirty Hairy Callahan
Reaction score
It would only be a "three-peat" if we're just counting Superbowls. The Packers have 3peated twice otherwise.

And I believe are the only NFL team to do it.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Each year is different and each year they will find something different to motivate them depending on the circumstances at the time.

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
A lot of the story lines of the year will die down come SB time. Or should (assuming Tebow is not there lmao). The biggest story line outside of the Packers potential 18-0 season heading into the Super Bowl could be Peyton/Luck and the situation in Indy in the offseason. Being that the SB is in Indy then Aaron may be asked a few times about his perspective on waiting behind a HOF QB and Favre may be brought up a few times to the displeasure of many.

19-0 is what is needed. Too many believe it can't be done. It can be done. Many said in 2007 that 16-0 could not be done and said it all year. It was done. That Pats team though I never felt had the heart of this Packers squad and were shoved down your throat every 5 minutes all year. 19-0 can be done. Just pray for no injuries or mild ones that can be recovered quickly. The Jennings injury looked horrible at first but the diagnosis was a blessing actually.

The theme song for these Packers to me should be Queen's "I want it all."

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
I mentioned in another thread how remarkable it was McCarthy said in his first talk to the team in 2006 their biggest problem would be handling success. McCarthy is a meticulous planner who seems to have his finger on the pulse of his team. So IMO planning for and handling success are nothing new to him. What is new is dealing with the situation they are about to experience: What do you do when the team has every regular season goal accomplished and has a chance to go undefeated? Rodgers hinted last week he knows what the plan will be in that instance. I don’t know if that’s true or not, but we can rest assured McCarthy now has a plan in place for that eventuality.

In addition to having a HC who is clued in to the emotional state of his team, the Packers have great leadership on both sides of the ball in Woodson and Rodgers. There’s obviously no guarantee of 19-0. “Stuff” happens in life and in the NFL in spite of the best laid plans and great leadership. IMO if the Packers don’t win another Super Bowl it won’t be because they lacked leaders or weren’t emotional enough.

Didn't Rodgers also hint that he is excited for the team to find out? I have to imagine...they are going for it. You won't be excited to let the team know they are resting.

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
You absolutely must play all out in every game. You don't let up one bit. You keep being aggressive and hit hard, because if you don't, then the other team ends up hitting you hard and that's when injuries happen.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts