A.J. Mandarich?

Status
Not open for further replies.

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
From Chris Havel's "Rants and Raves" column 8/16/06...

RAVE: For all the talk about moving Nick Barnett out of the middle linebacker spot, he was another of the few bright spots. Barnett is a pro. It isn't his fault if it turns out that a certain high draft pick can't cut it at outside linebacker. The idea is to get the best three linebackers on the field. Right now, that's Barnett, Brady Poppinga (as soon as he's healthy) and Ben Taylor, with Roy Manning just off the pace

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
AJ had a pick yesterday and apparently showed a burst in some of the team portions of practice yesterday. Cliff Christl thinks he's getting better.

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Correct me if I am wrong, but is not Hawk transitioning from MLB in college to WLB in the pros. And, do not discount the fact that he is a rookie and is playing like a rookie at this time.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
digsthepack said:
Correct me if I am wrong, but is not Hawk transitioning from MLB in college to WLB in the pros. And, do not discount the fact that he is a rookie and is playing like a rookie at this time.

First I'd like to say that this is an absolutely ridiculous title for a thread. Comparing Hawk to Mandarich this early or even making the comparison is too much of a stretch.

Secondly, I'm here to correct you in that Hawk played outside LB for the Buckeyes.

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I also love the last part of Havel's little nugget that Brady Poppinga, who hasn't taken part in any live action since last December, is one of the team's three best linebackers. Brilliant insight there Chris.

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thanks ND...was not sure.

Have says some really strange ***** from time to time.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yea...I read the man with the mullett. What an idiot. Hawk can't cut it? After one half of a preseason game. I will give him credit. He is a little brighter than the guy who compared him to Mandarich.

I hope A.J. remembers this when Havel wants to interview him about being all-pro.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agreed with just about all of what Havel wrote in that column, and then he ended it with that strange comment about the linebackers. And this was after A.J. Hawk was one of the bright spots in the game against the Chargers. Maybe Havel somehow forgot about Hawk and was thinking of Hodge, who did not have a very good game. Weird. Maybe A.J. didn't give him an interview or something.

Buckeyepackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wasn't it Hodge who was being talked about as to moving into the middle and moving Barnett outside?

AJ Hawk is not a middle linebacker, but if The Pack needed him to move there, I'm sure after watching him for 4 years at OSU that he would make the move and play the best he could.

Havel is an idiot, Hawk did not hold out, he was what one day late for TC?
To compare him with Mandarich is absolute nonsense. It was not Hawks fault that the NFL rules state a player can't report to OTA's until his class graduates. He was not able to be there which is going to put him a little behind the rest, but from what I saw last Saturday night, Hawk is no Mandarich, and is already catching up with the rest of the linebackers.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Buckeyepackfan said:
Wasn't it Hodge who was being talked about as to moving into the middle and moving Barnett outside?

AJ Hawk is not a middle linebacker, but if The Pack needed him to move there, I'm sure after watching him for 4 years at OSU that he would make the move and play the best he could.

To compare him with Mandarich is absolute nonsense. It was not Hawks fault that the NFL rules state a player can't report to OTA's until his class graduates. He was not able to be there which is going to put him a little behind the rest, but from what I saw last Saturday night, Hawk is no Mandarich, and is already catching up with the rest of the linebackers.

In no way am I defending Havel, but he didn't compare him to Mandarich as far as I know. net was the one that titled this thread comparing him to Mandarich.

Reaction score
Well D, I can sort of guess where net was coming from.

If Hawk is #5 on the depth chart, well there is a problem. Ultimately, the comparisions to Mandarich would start up, and there would be some truth to them.

However, I doubt Hawk drops that far, in time he'll be a stud! :thumbsup:

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Most players that come into the NFL don't look like all pros in their first preseason game. Geez........give the kid a LITTLE time for crying out loud.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Are we so eager for the season were gonna call a man a bust who has not even played a entire NFL game yet? Jeepers... lol

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So, he just got married. I am 22, and just got married this July 15 myself. If AJ is anything close to a normal-thinking human, he would want to be with his new wife. Just think- he's been married for what, 2 months? and now he has to sleep in a dorm with a bunch of dudes, learn a new playbook, not to mention his opponents' plays and tendencies. IMO, his lapses and weaknesses appeared to be caused by slight mental breakdowns, which get exposed in the NFL. not trying to make excuses, but it's just reasons why i think he's gonna be huge this year. HUGE!!!

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Buckeyepackfan said:

Yep I agree 100% and it was Hodge and not Hawk.

All I heard on the radio before the Draft was how Hawk is a MLB and MLB's shouldn't be taken that high and that we should take Vernon Davis (which I wouldn't mind) or Mario Williams.

Then they get a pro scout on and he replies well Hawk is a OLB and has been at Ohio State for years now. Havel never brought up Hawk being a MLB again.

I'll tell you this, AJ Hawk looked good against San Diego on Saturday. I watched the game twice. Taped it. Rewind it after every play. I'd watch certain players. Hawk looked good and from what I read, most think Hawk was one of the few bright spots early on.

OP
OP
net

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DePack said:
Yea...I read the man with the mullett. What an idiot. Hawk can't cut it? After one half of a preseason game. I will give him credit. He is a little brighter than the guy who compared him to Mandarich.

I hope A.J. remembers this when Havel wants to interview him about being all-pro.

It was about this far along in that training camp when they realized Tony was a bust.

I guess being a 'commish' means you never have a cloudy day, and the Packers always win the Super Bowl.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Come out and say it...not. Are you declaring A.J. Hawk a bust? Show everyone here your incredible football acumen.

OP
OP
net

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DePack said:
Come out and say it...not. Are you declaring A.J. Hawk a bust? Show everyone here your incredible football acumen.

I can never show them as much football knowledge as you...Mr. 16-0..(snicker)

At PackerChatters I said I deeply hoped it wasn't true, which is the truth.

However, when you sign for the kind of money he did, you are making a contract(besides signing one) that you are capable, able and willing to play at a starter's level. Is he? Will he?

I'm hearing reports from Denver of Jay Cutler pushing Jake Plummer...
Reggie Bush being sensational...Ferguson and Mangold doing well in New York...

Havel says Hawk is pretty much "there".

I'm not saying he's a bust....yet.....but to say he's been "sensational" is wrong. Being so-so isn't what the Packers paid him to be. They already had Roy Manning...undrafted free agent...who Havel says has shown more.

TomAllen

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mangold would have been a good pickup by TT. Was he available when the Packers were on the clock?

I seem to remember that he was.

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
net said:
However, when you sign for the kind of money he did, you are making a contract(besides signing one) that you are capable, able and willing to play at a starter's level. Is he? Will he?

You better be a hell of a lot better than just a starter when you're selected #5 overall and for the kind of money Hawk got.

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TomAllen said:
Mangold would have been a good pickup by TT. Was he available when the Packers were on the clock?

yeah-mangold went to the jets at...28 i think. :roll: and that was a reach. i cant imagine the outcry on this forum if we would have taken mangold at #5. i'm sorry, but i that's one of the worst suggestions i've heard so far. Hawk will become a premier lb in the NFL. mark my words.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
net said:
DePack said:

I can never show them as much football knowledge as you...Mr. 16-0..(snicker)

At PackerChatters I said I deeply hoped it wasn't true, which is the truth.

I'm hearing reports from Denver of Jay Cutler pushing Jake Plummer...
Reggie Bush being sensational...Ferguson and Mangold doing well in New York...

Havel says Hawk is pretty much "there".

I'm not saying he's a bust....yet.....but to say he's been "sensational" is wrong. Being so-so isn't what the Packers paid him to be. They already had Roy Manning...undrafted free agent...who Havel says has shown more.

Havel molests collies.

For any supposedly knowledgeable "reporter" to even insinuate that the guy is a bust after one preseason game is a joke. He should be stripped of his credentials. Again, mind you, I've never seen the Mullett even mention the word "bust" OR compare him to Mandarich......only you have.

BTW....where did you get the 16-0 thing from? Not that I mind it!

TomAllen

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pack_in_black said:
TomAllen said:

yeah-mangold went to the jets at...28 i think. :roll: and that was a reach. i cant imagine the outcry on this forum if we would have taken mangold at #5. i'm sorry, but i that's one of the worst suggestions i've heard so far. Hawk will become a premier lb in the NFL. mark my words.

I never suggested that they should have taken Mangold at #5, jerky. I didn't know he went that early. If he was around with the Packs 2nd or 3rd pick then yeah. Hawk, better be what you advertise or you'll be eating a lot of crow---uhhh..i mean hawk...no, i mean crow!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts