A.J. Hawk meets Yoopers

yooperfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Published: Monday, September 04, 2006

‘What’s a Yooper?’
Local youth football players educate Packers rookie Hawk

Green Bay Packers linebacker A.J. Hawk autographs memorabilia for Marquette Police Cadets youth football coach Doug Heslip Tuesday in Green Bay, Wis. Heslip took six of his players to meet Hawk. (Doug Heslip photo)

By KURT MENSCHING, Journal Sports Writer

MARQUETTE — Packers rookie linebacker A.J. Hawk may not know what Yoopers are, but he met some last week when Marquette coach Doug Heslip brought a group of his Police Cadets youth football players down to Green Bay.

Heslip, three parents and seven players traveled to the Bay Park Square Mall not too far from Lambeau Field to meet the 2006 first-round draft pick.

Who was it more of a thrill for?

“That’s a good question,â€

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good for Hawk. Now he knows that Michigan's Upper Peninsula is Packer country. He'll be well-liked up here, as he will be in Wisconsin.

Cory

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:
Good for Hawk. Now he knows that Michigan's Upper Peninsula is Packer country. He'll be well-liked up here, as he will be in Wisconsin.

Hawk well liked in michigan? Wow I bet he never thought something like that would happen.

OP
OP
Y

yooperfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
thetombradyhater said:
so whats a yooper? youth football player? I am confused

A Yooper is a resident of the Upper Peninsula of Michigan (da U.P.).
Even though we are residents of Michigan most of us have closer ties to Wisconsin than we do to Lower Michigan, home of the Lions.
About 70% of the sports fans up here identify themselves as Packer fans.

thetombradyhater

Cheesehead
Reaction score
<a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?q=42.957176+-
yooperfan said:
thetombradyhater said:
so whats a yooper? youth football player? I am confused

A Yooper is a resident of the Upper Peninsula of Michigan (da U.P.).
Even though we are residents of Michigan most of us have closer ties to Wisconsin than we do to Lower Michigan, home of the Lions.
About 70% of the sports fans up here identify themselves as Packer fans.

o, so you live on that part of michigan that connects to wisconsin?

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
thetombradyhater said:
o, so you live on that part of michigan that connects to wisconsin?

Exactly. I grew up in the Iron Mountain area, which is right on the Wisconsin border--100 miles from Green Bay and 500 miles from Detroit. Now I live in Marquette, which is a little farther from Green Bay, but only slightly closer to Detroit. Our network TV stations come from Green Bay, and if we take a big shopping trip we go to Appleton, Wisconsin. (When I was a kid, we went to Port Plaza Mall in Green Bay.)

People up here mostly back the Michigan teams in college sports. With pro sports we're mostly Packer fans, but the Tigers and Pistons have bigger followings than the Brewers and Bucks, probably because they have historically been better teams.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's like UPer. (Yooper). I didn't know what that meant till i was in my 20's. I forget that alot of people have no idea what that means!
Yeah dere hey youse guys?? WHUH!!! :wink: :lol:

paxvogel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I never knew this. You should just secede from Michigan and form your own country of Yooper. When Brett retires he could be your King. King Favre sounds pretty good.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
calicheesehead said:
No wonder you're drunks! Upper pronounced yooper.
No no Cali........."Upper Peninsula" of Michigan is abreviated "U.P."

The "You P" of Michigan, thus "You-Per" or "YOOPER!" :D

calicheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So since I'm in So Cal or S.C. than by this correlation I should be called an Essie?! Sounds 'bout right. Thanks for the the info, good stuff.

Members online

Latest posts