A.J. Hawk a Better Selection??

figtab

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A.J. Hawk might be a better selection than Mario Williams. Hawk ran a 4.38 40!!!!!!! :shock: He also has a 40 inch vertical!!! :shock:

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i dunno.

At first I was all about Hawk

then I read on Mario, and he seemed better, still does.

But it looks like Mario is out of it now, but I wouldn't mind having Hawk, Id just rather have Mario.

Toronto_Cheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
figtab said:
A.J. Hawk might be a better selection than Mario Williams. Hawk ran a 4.38 40!!!!!!! :shock: He also has a 40 inch vertical!!! :shock:

It's unfair to compare their combine/pro-day numbers, since the two play different positions. Williams' numbers were very impressive for a man his size.

OP
OP
F

figtab

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Toronto_Cheesehead said:
figtab said:

It's unfair to compare their combine/pro-day numbers, since the two play different positions. Williams' numbers were very impressive for a man his size.

this is true but i mean dont we need more help at LB?? Nick barnett has been there by him self if we get hawk and sign ben taylor that would be a good Line Backing Core. if mario williams isnt there at #5 we still have KGB and kampman.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would say Williams has the opportunity to create a greater impact.

Two things in Hawk's corner.

1) We may have a stronger need for a first flight LB than DE after having signed Kampman.

2) The leadership qualities and attitude of Hawk is very much needed in this "D". He supposedly is a natural leader and has a very nasty attitude that I don't hear so much about in Williams.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
warhawk said:

1) We may have a stronger need for a first flight LB than DE after having signed Kampman.

2) The leadership qualities and attitude of Hawk is very much needed in this "D". He supposedly is a natural leader and has a very nasty attitude that I don't hear so much about in Williams.

I didnt know about #2. thats good to hear. Sounds like a "packer person" we need on D. I wish Al and Nick were bigger leaders. :(

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
figtab said:

Yeah at the pro day. Pro day times are always way better than combine times. There's a reason to..

Williams is a better all around player than Hawk and would probably be a bigger impact but that's taking nothing away from Hawk. He'll fit are scheme and give us a much needed leader on defense. Can't go wrong with either or. I just think Mario Williams will be something special. THere be more AJ Hawks but not Mario Williams in my opinion.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
warhawk: Good points. We OBVIOUSLY have a stronger need at LB than DE. Think of it this way: Who's a better player? KGB or Robert Thomas?

gado35

Cheesehead
Reaction score
warhawk said:

i think we really do need a LB, poor barnett does not have much to play with. yes mario is good and it would be awesome to get him, but i really do not see how we could go wrong with someone like hawk...

off subject, but i also think we should try to get our hands on TO :lol: :D

gopackgo4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You know either way really we can't lose both players would make great impacts. Look at Urlacher and how big of an impact he makes. Then look at Reggie White and how big of an impact he makes. We can't lose if they play up to their potential.

Gopackgo82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mario and A.J. are both great prospects and I'll be happy if we draft either one of them. The draft is very deep with talent at LB though, so if Mario is available we can take him and still draft a great LB in the 2nd round. That would be the best case scenario in my opinion.

A.J. Hawk does fill a greater need than Mario Williams, but you should draft the best player available, especially when you have a top 5 pick. Sherman drafted based on need, and we all know how that turned out. :p

Packula

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gary Kowalchek had a good quote on the radio today. He said that it is important to have that mental toughness as a player...that is the intangible you can't measure when recruiting, but is the one that can make or break you.

Mario Williams has all those physical skills.

Hawk, from what I've seen, has those intangibles.

Mario is the **** pick, high-risk/high-reward.

Hawk is the solid pick, through and through.

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
warhawk said:

i Wonder what the Packers will do w/Mario, KGB, and Kampman? Do you think Mario Williams will start over KGB?

Packula

Cheesehead
Reaction score
dhpackr said:
can AJ Hawk play MLB. i think he has the size and speed, maybe draft hawk and move Barnett to SAM LBer.

Hawk is only 6'1". It would be a stretch at MLB. Probably best suited at WSLB and flying across the field.

Face it: what's the bigger upgrade?

Williams over Kampman or KGB?

Or Hawk over....um.....over......

Yeah.

gado35

Cheesehead
Reaction score
wow i just found this...this is an interview on nfl.com on mario williams...let me know what you think...

Would you be willing to switch to an outside linebacker position if needed?
-- Quentin R., Atlanta

Of course. Anything I need to do. If I need to lose weight, if I need to gain weight, I'll do that. I would love to play outside linebacker.

mario at LB?

Reaction score
VERY interesting idea gado35. Hm, well I don't see why not. He has speed, strength, and can tackle. The only problem is he will be learning a completly new position (I don't think he played any LB during college). So he might not be ready to start right away. But I don't see why that can't happen.

Gopackgo82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If we wanted to draft an OLB, then we would draft Hawk. He already knows the position. :roll:

route25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
gado35 said:
wow i just found this...this is an interview on nfl.com on mario williams...let me know what you think...

-- Quentin R., Atlanta

Of course. Anything I need to do. If I need to lose weight, if I need to gain weight, I'll do that. I would love to play outside linebacker.

mario at LB?

Let's take the best defensive end prospect in years and move him to linebacker. While we're at it, if Favre comes back, I think we should move him to nose tackle.

Mario seems like a good guy. I think he was just being agreeable with someone who askeda dumb question.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
route25 said:
gado35 said:

-- Quentin R., Atlanta

mario at LB?

Let's take the best defensive end prospect in years and move him to linebacker. While we're at it, if Favre comes back, I think we should move him to nose tackle.

Mario seems like a good guy. I think he was just being agreeable with someone who askeda dumb question.

Of course Williams will say that. He wants to come off as a team player.. He's not going to say. I don't want to play anywheres but DE.. Makes him look selfish.

Reaction score
Yeah I can agree that it would make him look selfish if he said no, but the thing is that Jason Taylor was a pass rush DE. Nick Saban moved him to OLB much to the dismay of many people, but Taylor had a great year. I think Williams could be a solid LB prospect, but he would have to learn a new position which would turn many teams off to that idea. But perhaps in a few year, who knows? Anything is possible. :)

As for Brett playing DT, well I'm sure you've seen Brett not afraid to get in the face of players, and even tackle his own teammates! Never say never when it comes to Brett. :wink:

Members online

Latest posts