A hard question...When do we give Rodgers time to play?

OP
OP
P

PPierce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I still think it's a mistake not to see what Rodgers can do. Brett is human and even a Legend will someday no longer be here. Just throwing the kid into the fray is going to be a disaster. I know Brett did it, but how many QB's are capable of that? As unpopular as the opinion seems to be, I don't think you can build a team (and, yes, we have to rebuild) and not include the next QB in the rebuilding. He doesn't need a lot of playing time while Favre is around. He does need a chance to throw with the big boys in front of him. If he can't cut it, we need to know THAT too. I don't believe Favre will be around for three or four more years. He doesn't look very happy this year, and I can't blame him, but he's so used to winning...we do need to plan for the future. Just my opinioni.

Brooks87

Cheesehead
Reaction score
mattresell said:
Favre should play out the year no matter what the score or team record is. He should play all of next year if he decides to come back. Outside of some horrible interceptions, which were present in Favre's 3 MVP years as well, Brett has played as well or better than he has in 4 years.

Getting Rodgers mop up duty without proven recievers, a running game, and a makeshift offensive line does nothing for his experience or the team's evaluation of him. I'm a strong Rodgers supporter, and when his time comes I think he will be a good QB. But his time will not come until Brett says it comes.

As much as I want to see what the kid can do, that can wait. have patience. What I really want to see is Brett take as many snaps as he can before he retires. I don't care if it's in a blowout loss. This may be the last year we get to watch him amaze us with the things he does, and I don't want that experience taken from me for any reason.

Exactly what im thinking.Great post.Why be in such a hurry to play A-rod.His time will come.. :D

sunshine

Cheesehead
Reaction score
remember, i'm new here & i'm jumping into this conversation so take it easy on me, ok??...

imo rodgers played in pre-season & that's about all i'd like to see of him ever again. there certainly is something to be said about the future of the packers but do we REALLY think it's rodgers??? i'm not convinced!

i went to 2 pre-season games this year for one reason - to see Brett Favre play in what could be his final season. i got to see him throw some bullets & having fun with the rest of the team - it was great! i also got to see rodgers which was fine too. i honestly cannot see them putting him in unless we ARE 1-12!!! :wink: :pals: ok, let's have a beer!!!

OP
OP
P

PPierce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not sure Rodgers is our future either. I hope the franchise isn't close-minded as in "We drafted him and we're going with him." I haven't been impressed so far, but he hasn't had a chance to show us anything either. I still can't imagine building for the future and ignoring that, shortly, we'll be needing a QB. In a way, loyalty to Favre can slow down the rebuilding process. We'll see what happens. If he gets injured or, God forbid, soemthing else bad happens in his personal life, we may find out very quickly just what an untested rookie QB can or can't do. CN will leave at the end of the year. I trustsed him as the backup.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
PPierce said:
I'm not sure Rodgers is our future either. I hope the franchise isn't close-minded as in "We drafted him and we're going with him." I haven't been impressed so far, but he hasn't had a chance to show us anything either. I still can't imagine building for the future and ignoring that, shortly, we'll be needing a QB. In a way, loyalty to Favre can slow down the rebuilding process. We'll see what happens. If he gets injured or, God forbid, soemthing else bad happens in his personal life, we may find out very quickly just what an untested rookie QB can or can't do. CN will leave at the end of the year. I trustsed him as the backup.

The Packers obviously are not close minded as the actions of scouting Matt Leinart, sp?

PWT36

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Posters on this topic-Very good posts to PPierce question "When do we give Aaron Rodgers a chance?". It is not necessary to put him out there with no Running game to speak of and with only Donold Driver as a good Wide Receiver plus two new offensive guards. This is recipe for disaster for a rookie Quarterback. This season is still up in the air because we are in a poor NFC-North. All good Packer fans should never give up until the Packers are mathematically eliminated. Anything can happen in the remaining games. Hopefully The Packers starts winning starting tomorrow against Pittsburgh. This Packer team has not given up on this season nor should its fans!!

GakkofNorway

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I say never, he's hasn't got the weapons, his arm isn't particularly strong, his accuracy isn't particularly good and his size is not particularly positive.

Members online