A hard question...When do we give Rodgers time to play?

PPierce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This has been bothering me all year. There are so many reasons Brett may not come back; some beyond his control. If he gets injured with this OL not protecting him enough or there is personal tragedy, who will be ready to step up? If Rodgers is going to take over, will he just be tossed in the game having never really played in the NFL and be expected to take over? I love Brett, like everyone else, but if we are forward thinking, we have to give the kid some playing time to see if he can do it. If he can't, we still have to plan for the future and maybe get a different QB. As hard as it is for Packer fans to believe, Favre is not infallible, and one day he won't be playing for us anymore. I don't think we are planning well. Look what happened to Alex Smith when he was suddenly thrown into the NFL. Our kid needs experience if, in fact, Green Bay is insistent that he is the Heir Apparent. Brett can play most of the time, but I think we'll be sorry if nobody else is ready to step up when the time comes. In no way am I disrespecting Brett Favre. I'm simply looking into the fugure, be it next year or three years from now.

ricky

Cheesehead
Reaction score
OK- I'll be the first to respond to this illogical and ill-thought out thread (and you've been thinking about this for a while?).
1. You say the OL isn't very good. Agreed. So, you go on to argue, if Favre gets hurt, putting Rodgers in at QB without any experience would hurt him. However, putting Rodgers in at QB with a bad OL without Favre being hurt is going to be good? Same scenario, different premises. Why would this be better for Rodgers :?:
2. You cite the Smith injury as "proof" that Rodgers should get playing time. Why? So (like Smith) he could also be harassed and injured? Smith was drafted #1 this year; Rodgers #25 this year. Wouldn't that mean Smith should be expected to be more prepared to play than Rodgers :?:
3. Have you checked out the injury list for the Packers? They have (in effect) no running game; their WR corps is now barely a platoon, and Favre has used his amazing talent to move and throw to keep the games close. You really want to dump Rodgers into this spot :?:
I realize we're all frustrated with the season. But this seems like a REALLY BAD IDEA. :roll:

jhensiak

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What is the hurry???? Steve McNair and Carson Palmer seemed to do pretty good after sitting out...and by the way, Hall of Famer Steve Young sat out a few years and turned out OK. By the way...Aaron Rodgers is no Steve Young.

yooperfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The only game where he could have (should have) gotten any extensive playing time was against the Saints cause we blew em out.
The rest of the games we have been in them till the end to win. Until we blow someone else out or are getting blown out keep him holding the clip board.

Pack14

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with Zero2Cool. When Favre decides to hang it up. #4 gives us the best chance to win.

Ryan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
<green and gold glasses & sarcasm>

Well as we are going to win out the remainder of our schedule, AR should have plenty of late 3rd and 4th quarter playing time as Favre will not need to be on the field.

</green and gold glasses & sarcasm>

:thumbsup:

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No way...ever...is there the chance favre will be benched for anyone, even if it is to let them grow and mature as a player.

Sitting Favre=Fired

I know the season is a couple weeks away from being over, but as long as Favre is healthy, and on the roster, he is starting. Now if Rodgers plays second halfs....thats a horse of a different color. And that color is brown, the color of ****. Cuz thats the kind of move that would be. Favre is a competitor and putting rodgers in and saying "We give up" is a horrible message. Unless they are mathematically done (Which they are a long way from btw) you do not do that move.

Thank you for listening...er...reading....THANKS FOR YOUR TIME*

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Never..use him as trade bait next year....

(I know some of you people want to relegate Favre to running out and getting the tee after a kickoff...)

but..Aaron Rodgers is an unproven entity...HE MAY NEVER PAN OUT...it's happened before...

AND you can't break a rookie QB in by playing them "here and there"...

He will have to be thrown to the wolves like everyone else has in the nfl...and take at least a year of playing every down to see if he even pans out...(this has been true of Favre...Peyton Manning..whoever...)..so there's really no "breaking him in...gradually"

Just sit back, relax..and be glad that you have Favre (a future HOF QB) guiding your team..and stop trying to push him on to the bench...because believe me...you will miss him when he's gone..and it will be a long time..(if ever) that another QB of his caliber comes along in GB...which means the playoff births that he brought to you may be few and far between...

packerfanfourever

Cheesehead
Reaction score
<a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?q=44.465151+-
So we just wasted a first round draft choice on rodgers just to use him as trade bait, what will we get for him? 5 or 6 round choice? than we should of never drafted him in the first place we certainly had other needs. like i said before i don't want brett to sit on the sidelines either but its not the brett favre packers its the green bay packers and if he is not going to be around next year and the division is lost lets start getting ready for next year. we all appreciate what brett has done for the pack, he also has to step up to the plate and say iam playing for one two or however long he wants to play. just remember are you brett favre fan or a packer fan.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
and you just remember who got you there for the last 13 seasons!

(Aaron Rodgers may not pan out..but with a few good moves Favre can take you to the SB next year...possibly...who do you choose...And if the Packers decide to trade Aaron Rodgers for some other more impending need than so be it...you don't know if he's going to pan out anyway.....

look at Philip Rivers in San Diego...do you bench Drew Brees?)

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:
and you just remember who got you there in the last 13 seasons!

Brett Favre, LeRoy Butler, Reggie White, Gilbert Brown, Mike Holmgren, Santana Dotson, Sean Jones, Doug Evans, Edgar Bennett, Dorsey Levens, Antonio Freeman, Mark Chmura, Chris Jacke, and the rest of the TEAM!

calicheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You put AR in once he can block, run or catch passes, maybe play DB...but not at QB until Favre proves otherwise.

Brooks87

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
when brett retires

QFE!!I agree.You dont bench a HOF QB for a rookie who in preseason didnt look all that great.Im sick of hearing all the "lets bench Brett" talk and for what??Aaron rodgers didnt turn many heads with the way he played in preseason..Its crazy to even bring up talk about benching brett.Yay my first post!! lol... =)

OP
OP
P

PPierce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I never meant he should be benched. I just thought he should get some playing time, like during the Saints game. The truth is, we are building for the future and Favre can't play forever. I wish he could. I think it's foolish not to look at QB when rebuilding. Favre may decide to retire next year, then we have a totally untested kid QB having to take over. In no way am I saying to bench Favre for Rodgers most of the time. That would be foolish.

retiredgrampa

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can partially understand why so many fans here object so vehemently to any playing time given to anyone BUT Favre. Hell,he's a legend. He's irreplaceable. He's Superman. He IS GB. He is also human and subject to serious injury. It can and does happen to most all players. So far he has been an exception but that WILL END. When he does have to sit, who takes over? Will you then just mail in the rest of the season or look to his backup to step up? What if the season continues on and we're looking at 1-12? Do we then, with the season shot, let him play 60 mins. and hope he doesn't get injured so he can return next year? Or do we let him play a quarter(to extend his streak) and let Rodgers and Nall showcase their talents to the league while gaining experience? Wouldn't this not only insure Favre returns in good health in 2005 for another run? Even Favre has only so much gas left in his tank. What's wrong with preserving it as long as possible? Why spend a 1st rd. pick on a guy and not see what he has to offer in real time? It's a total waste. Frankly, I for one would like to get some small idea of what life after Favre could be. I would think the coaches and TT would also.

mattresell

Cheesehead
Reaction score
<a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?q=29.895425+-
Favre should play out the year no matter what the score or team record is. He should play all of next year if he decides to come back. Outside of some horrible interceptions, which were present in Favre's 3 MVP years as well, Brett has played as well or better than he has in 4 years.

Getting Rodgers mop up duty without proven recievers, a running game, and a makeshift offensive line does nothing for his experience or the team's evaluation of him. I'm a strong Rodgers supporter, and when his time comes I think he will be a good QB. But his time will not come until Brett says it comes.

As much as I want to see what the kid can do, that can wait. have patience. What I really want to see is Brett take as many snaps as he can before he retires. I don't care if it's in a blowout loss. This may be the last year we get to watch him amaze us with the things he does, and I don't want that experience taken from me for any reason.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Favre sat on the bench for what..2-3 years in Atlanta?..and look at the career he's had!

Not playing Rodgers a waste? What are you people talking about?

Maybe Rodgers should drink beer for 2-3 years and get in Sherman's doghouse...and then come out and have a HOF career...

and at the end..have people yelling that he should sit down and give the new kid a try...

what a joke..want a shot at the SB next year?

Better hope Favre sticks around for another year...

Latest posts