1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
  2. Announcement is LIVE: Read the Forum Post

A Green Bay B-day

Discussion in 'The Atrium' started by mkapp, Jun 1, 2008.

1. mkapp

mkapp Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Friday was my 27th birthday. As the most amazing gift in the world, my family got me 2 flights to Green Bay and 2 preseason tickets to a GB game, my choice!! So of course, I am going to Lambeau for my first time. I will be going to the Tennessee Titans game on 8/28. I almost pooped when they told me! :poop:

So I havent made any final arrangements yet, other than which game. Any recommendations on what I should do while I am there? I defintely want to take the stadium tour, but I figured some of you locals or "frequenters" might be able to advise me.

Around town:
    1) Best place to stay (reasonably priced, but decent stay)?
    2) Places to eat?
    3) Places to see?

At the game:
    1) Where and when to catch the players arriving?
    2) Best places to maybe land an autograph?

And of course, any other info/recommendations are appreciated.

Oh and for those wondering who I am bringing with the 2nd ticket...I am going to ask my dad (HUGE deal from other threads). Hope he can go!

2. mxchamp004

mxchamp004 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    well im not a local so i cant give suggestions ..but sounds like a lot of fun and i hope you have a great time!

3. IronMan

IronMan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +8
    Happy belated birthday!

!) The Roadstar Inn is located right across the street form Lambeau. It isn't exactly a 5 star hotel; but for what it lacks in quality, it makes up for in convenience.

Here are some other hotels located near Lambeau

2) Krolls has really good food, and is located near Lambeau.
    3) Make sure you visit Fuzzy Thurston's Bar. He is usually there the night before the game.

I hope you have a good time. :beer:

4. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    Like Iroman has said, the Roadstar Inn is a perfect place to stay. You can walk out of the Motel, and walk a few blocks right to the stadium. I have stayed there several times. It's not fancy, but it's right there. So if you want to drink a few beers at Lambeau, you don't have to drive, you can just stagger back to the motel in a few minutes.
    I haven't eaten at Krolls yet, but everything i have heard about the place has been good. And it's right between the Roadstar Inn and Lambeau Field, so again you can have fun and just walk.
    Looks like you are going to get to REALLY enjoy your B-day presents! :D
    CONGRATS!!!

5. Zombieslayer

Zombieslayer Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I've been to Madison, never to GB.

But I replied to this post just to say Happy belated B-day. :cool:

6. mkapp

mkapp Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks everyone! The Roadstar is booked up, so I will most likely grab the closest thing to the stadium - sounds like it will be best to have everything within walking distance.

7. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    Wow....it's crazy how fast they book up when the schedule comes out. Well, if you are renting a car to get around, there are plenty of places you can try. I'm sure others here can come up with nice motels within a short drive that will suit you.
    Try PM'ing Phil, our site historian. He's pretty darn smart and may be able to give you some good choices.
    Again.........CONGRATS on your b-day and great presents!!! :D

8. Heatherthepackgirl

Heatherthepackgirl Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Happy belated birthday!!

If the hotels in Green Bay are booked, try Appleton WI. When we went there we stayed at the Tundra, we got it in our package deal, with game tickets, autograph signings, tailgate party. The water park is pretty cool, but the rooms were very small, but what the hay, your not in your room that much anyways.

Make sure you go and see the tour of the stadium we have done that all times we went and its so well worth it IMO. We also ate at Curly's Pub pretty good food, kind of expensive, but loved the atmosphere. Also if you have some money go to Favre's Steakhouse great great food and so much Favre memorabilia everywhere. Check out the pro shop in stadium I had a blast in there just looking around and of course spending some money. :)

Now for autographs, there are gates right outside the stadium, you cant miss them because there are always people there trying to get autographs, we spent hours upon hours at the gates and it was so much fun getting to know other people that were waiting for autographs as well. Plus you might get some autographs as players enter or exit these gates, we recieved quite a few. I have two Green Bay coats that have signatures all over them and now I refuse to wear them.

I hope you enjoy your time in Green Bay, its just a small town with the greatest atmosphere and the greatest fans, everyone is so so nice, but living in WI thats what you get. Its nothing like where I am living now (CA). We hope to get back there this summer sometime. We try to go once a year, wished we could go more. I miss WI very much.

I dont know how much time you have in Green Bay, but you also could check out Bay Beach.

9. IronMan

IronMan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +8
    A few other places to eat:

-Chili Johns. I hear their Chili is VERY good.
    -Prime Quarter Steak House. I have not tried it yet but I will this year. You can grill your own steak or have the chef grill it. They don't open till 5:00 pm. Last year I walked about 2 miles from my hotel to eat lunch only to find that they weren't open yet!

Also Brett Favre's Steak House has a tailgate party 3 hours before kickoff. Its all the brats, burgers, Favre Family "Secret Recipe" Cajun Jambalya, beer, soft drinks, cookies and other stuff for $27. I did this last year and the food was really good.

Here is more info on it and how to buy a ticket.

10. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    Prime Quarter steak house is great! Trippster took me there a few years ago. I love to cook, so it was fun grilling my own steak on their huge grill. Plus they have texas toast, with butter there that you can also grill.

11. mkapp

mkapp Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all the feedback thus far.

We are staying at the Sierra Regency (wife booked it) in Green Bay. Flying in Wed to Milwaukee and driving up. Thur should be filled with gametime fun (when does the stadium open if gametime is 7pm?). Friday I will do the stadium/HOF tour and I have an "insider" tour lined up via a friend to see the pressbox/skybox area (and anything else I can sneak into). Will also see if I can peek at the Don Hutson center. At some point I want to go to County Stadium and see where it all started.

Not sure what else there is to do for Saturday. Kind of want to do something the wife will enjoy - was thinking maybe going down to OshKosh or something. Sunday is a 7am flight out from Milwaukee (have to get up early to make that one!)

I heard Bay Beach was worth checking out and perhaps just spend some time out by Lake Michigan. Any other points of interest worth checking out in GB?

Food - Keep the suggestions coming! Is the Titletown Brewery any good?

Souveniers - Heard the Team Shop in Lambeau is pricey - any other good place for some true Packer gear?

Again thanks so much for all the insight and info everyone!!

12. IronMan

IronMan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +8
    Gates usually open 2 hours and 15 minutes before kickoff.

13. mkapp

mkapp Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Purchased my tickets this weekend - will be in section 114 - Row 19. I cant wait!

14. PackerChick

PackerChick Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
  15. IronMan

IronMan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +8
  16. ElleBlue

ElleBlue Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I went to Lambeau and Fuzzy's, but it wasn't during football season. I was in Milwawkee for a conference and made it a point to go to Green Bay and check out all the sights. I really need to get to Green Bay and see a game. I seen the Packers here in Jersey play the Giants (among the hostiles), but there's nothing like being in Green Bay to see the Packs.

17. PackerChick

PackerChick Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    It is also learned that it is also Mark Tauscher's Birthday as well.