1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

A few sleeper picks for the Packers...

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by Pack93z, Mar 21, 2008.

1. Pack93z

Pack93z You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime

Ratings:
    +22
    A little thread of sleepers, guys that look interesting in the upcomming draft..

He has a long wingspan like his father, got a pretty decent motor and a pretty good football bloodline..

DEXTER MANLEY JR. DE
    WEST TEXAS A&M
    6'2", 280lbs, 4.64 40

Manley’s road to his final season has been rough. He played basketball in high school before landing at Santa Monica College and then transferred to Oregon. He finished with 8 tackles and 3 sacks in 2006 but decided to transfer from Oregon to West Texas A&M. He only played in 3 games last year due to injury. He is strong, fast, and has great upside (only 3 years of football experience).

FRANKLIN DUNBAR, OT
    MIDDLE TENN STATE
    6'5" 318 Lbs,

Very athletic (27" vertical and 4.95 in short cones) and good feet for big man, comming out early because of financial hardships in his family. Kid has really long arms (36 1/2" wingspan) and moves very well.

MATT MULLIGAN, TE/C (yes that is correct, starting center that played some TE, think he can block?)
    U of MAINE
    6' 4", 258 lbs, 4.8 40, 34 reps @ 225 (best in the Country @ TE)

Very interesting athlete overall, 35 inch vertical jump, 9'8" broad jump, decent hands and from what they say a heck of a motor and football player.. and most importantly, has a "can do" whatever you need me to do attitude. A Bellicheck favorite or so goes the rumor..

2. b_mckendry

b_mckendry Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Xavier Omon- RB
    Northwest Missouri State

This kid has great vision. Whenever you watch him play he can always find the whole. He is also the right size 5-11 218 lbs for a solid RB. He is very underrated going into the draft and I believe he can do great things. YouTube him if you don't believe me. I believe he will go great along side Grant

3. Pack93z

Ratings:
    +22
    Mods.. my mistake.. this was suppose to be in the scouting forum.. Ugh!

4. KGB94SACKEM

KGB94SACKEM Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Brian Witherspoon CB Stillman
    Curtis Johnson DE Clark-Atlanta
    David Hale OT Weber St.
    Kurt Hout DE Ferris St.

5. Packnic

Packnic Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +6
    the Matt Mulligan kid sounds like a winner. would love to see us grab him at about the 5th? maybe?

6. PackOne

PackOne Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4
    McFadden

7. Veretax

Veretax Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +6
    How about John Greco OT/OG from Toledo as a sleeper.

8. uwbadger12000

uwbadger12000 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2
    Jack Ikegwuonu.............GO BADGERS!

9. all about da packers

all about da packers Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0

No problem, honestly with the (usually) slow times in the off-season, it's more interesting have the draft stuff spill out from the scouting forum.

As uwbadger said, Ikegwuonu is an intriguing high risk/high reward prospect, one the Packers could take on day 2. Pack don't seem to have a glaring weakness at any position, and you could argue the BPA approach would place Ikegwuonu high on the draft board during the 5th round onwards.

The only problem I can see is that Ikegwunou's agent is Drew Rosen-***. I read somewhere that Drew would ask for a higher contract than the average late round draft pick since Ikegwunou's talent is so great.

That creates a problematic situation, especially if the team refuses to offer Jack more than the average contract for a 5th/6th/7th round. At that point, Rosen-*** might just make Jack sit out the entire year and re-enter the draft next year.

In essence you have a wasted pick.

10. BangTheDrum

BangTheDrum Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    It's Jack, Ikegwuonu :)

11. Pack93z

Ratings:
    +22
    Another later round prospect.. from a Jets paper..

http://www.jetscentral.com/

Not much on the kid other than he is a junior, leaving early and very athletic overall. 6-3 and decent length on his arms.

12. Pack93z

Ratings:
    +22
    Brad Roach ~ Catawba College -- Some insiders are saying this 6' 6", 245 pounder has similar skills to Joe Flacco. We expect Roach will be drafted between the 5th and 7th rounds. Said to have a very live arm and plays very smart ball.

A little more from the sports exchange, a project type QB.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/profile.php?pyid=73844

13. Buckeyepackfan

Buckeyepackfan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Ben Mauk.....QB Cincinnati.
    Mauk went to Wake Forest, was red-shirted as a freshman, started as a sophomor but was injured and sat out the rest of the season. Transferred to Cin. sat out his junior year and started for the Bearcats last year.
    Big time arm, had over 7,000 yds passing in High School, probably won't be drafted very early, great 7th rnd or undrafted FA pick up.

14. gopackgo

gopackgo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    J Leman. IL LB. Only reason I say this is because I don't follow college ball besides Illinois :shrug:

But I do like Leman a lot, and TT likes LB's. Take it to the bank!

15. porky88

porky88 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    How about Dennis Dixon in round 4?

I actually think a dark horse for the Packers 1st round pick is John Carlson from Notre Dame.

Another guy would be Patrick Lee, CB, Auburn.

Maybe a punter like Durant Brooks in the late rounds like 6 or 7.

Antwaun Molden I could see going in round 3 or 4 too. I guess he'd be my biggest sleeper pick.

16. MajicMan

MajicMan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Wouldn't that be awesome.

We'd all be so shocked. TT---trade up. Sillyness.

17. BryanAschenbrenner

BryanAschenbrenner Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Jehuu Caulcrick.

18. tromadz

tromadz Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    Guys, I don't know how many times I can say this(actually I dont think ive said it once, but i think it a lot, that counts)...

Last year, nobody knew who we picked with the 16th pick. We were all like WHO!?! Justin Harrell? Who? That was pick 16. This year we have pick 30! You'd be hard pressed to think you know who we will get.

With that said, speculation is fun, but I'm going in knowing damn well I won't know who we picked(it helps since I dont watch college football much too), but I know the guy who picked him knows his crap, so it's all good.

sorry for the hijack

19. Hammer

Hammer Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I can't wait to see Mel Kiper critique the GMs of the league ( "Who the hell is Mel Kiper?" ). Also, the draft grades immediately after the event are pretty stupid. Gotta blab about something I guess.

20. MassPackersFan

MassPackersFan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Tracy Porter, CB. People are going to say TT took him too early, and he's going to end up being one of the best 3 CB's taken in this draft full of high quality db's.

21. BangTheDrum

BangTheDrum Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Tracy Porter is a good looking athlete

22. shanks2122

shanks2122 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    lex hilliard-montana, in the seventh he could have been a 3rd or 4th rounder but hurt his knee last year

23. Since69

Since69 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
  24. Arles

Arles Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    IMO, OT Oniel Cousins could be a starter at RT next season. He's 6-4, 308 and went to UTEP. He's a perfect fit in a zone blocking scheme and has good feet.

QB Ryan O'Hara, 6-5, 235 from Central Oklahoma. Ran a 4.67 40 and has a cannon for an arm. Good mobility, good size, great arm - but raw. Perfect guy to draft in the 5th and sit as the 3rd QB for a season.

CB Chevis Jackson, 6-0, 192 from LSU. Ran a slow 40 (4.58) so his stock dropped. But, he supposedly ran as high as 4.42 in other workouts. Great athleticism and can be a cover corner. Given he would be there in the late 4th, might be a nice gamble.

TE Chris Hopkins, 6-5, 270 from Toledo. Ran a 4.75 40 and has surprising hands for his size. Devastating blocker and had some of his best performances against major competition (13 catches against Iowa State). Should be there in the mid 5th to early 6th.

25. Pack93z

Ratings:
    +22
    Here are a few backs that are flying below the radar this year... thanks to folks at http://www.draftdaddy.com/ check the site out.. their draft blog is a quick and easy check to keep up with the prospect and visits.. there bio's links are decent as well..