A disappointing debut...

mineral723

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I read back a little of some of your concerns about special teams lining up on time... and as a Lions fan, it happened to us too. I think it's a rookie head coach thing and in these games, coaches deliberately try to confuse special teams a lot. At least that's what Priefer does in preseason games.
We had guys pointing at each other wondering who's in and out as Priefer made the switches at the last second intentionally. Overall we responded well, but gave Denver a TD by lining up 12 on a FGA. But that's what coaches want. Those are the mistakes that are allowed in preseason for evaluation. You look at those tapes and find out who isn't communicating well and find out why.
I think your special teams "woes" are very temporary. First of all, you've got guys fighting solely for special teams positions and they're mixing them in with others... finding out who gels. So this isn't unexpected.

I just worry about your offensive line. I'm not bashing Lord Favre, but how many more of those hits can he take?

retiredgrampa

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mineral723; It's good to hear from a knowledgeable Lions fan.
It was especially interesting to learn that STs coaches are trying to find out early just who is paying attention and learning on the run. Smart thinking. You'll forgive me if I hope that the Packers learn faster than the Lions. Nothing personal.

mineral723

Cheesehead
Reaction score
retiredgrampa said:
Mineral723; It's good to hear from a knowledgeable Lions fan.
It was especially interesting to learn that STs coaches are trying to find out early just who is paying attention and learning on the run. Smart thinking. You'll forgive me if I hope that the Packers learn faster than the Lions. Nothing personal.
Well, my counterpart and fellow knowledgeable footbologist, here's how I'm going to sum up Green Bay:
Your success this season is going to rely heavily on your offensive line's ability to pick up the scheme and protect Favre, and it's going to come down to talent at the WR position for you guys.
Favre has a quick release, no doubt... but if your WRs can't get open, those quick throws lead to ints and opposing TDs. Another downside is that it just doesn't seem like he'll have enough time for those guys to get open. I don't follow the Vikes, but I know that Detroit's CBs and Chicago's CBs have interception, game-changing skills when healthy. When you factor all of that in, it just looks bleak.
Don't get me wrong, but Detroit isn't terribly impressive either. With 1/2 of our starting D-Line out, we did do good things against Denver's running game... and our O-Line gave time to Kitna and the backups to make plays. And power running looked great.
But we'll have to see. I'm just saying I wouldn't be expecting anything extravagant right out of the gates.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts