A call to arms Packers fans

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Those of you with NFL Network won't think much of this...but for the rest of us(the majority numerically I'm willing to bet) this is a kick in the groin from the kinder-gentler NFL.

I emailed the GM of the FOX affiliate where the Packers games are broadcast. The Packers Dec. 21 game against the Vikes is on the NFL Network ONLY. He said the NFL isn't satisfied with the BILLIONS of dollars from the TV network deals. This is the nose of the camel under the tent to move toward pay-per-view. He says the theory is to apply pressure on the cable TV companies to put the NFL net on their systems.
In short, they want viewers like me to get nasty with the cable companies for not carrying the expensive program.
It works this way: to bring in an expensive provider like the NFL Network, the cable system would likely have to jack it's rates up, or drop some of the current other providers. So to get football, you lose choice elsewhere. ESPN pulled this crap awhile ago, demanding mucho more dinero to put the programming on the cable systems, knowing full well the public would scream bloody murder. The result was a fairly large increase in cable rates.

In this case, the NFL is betting the customer like you and me will cave in and either get a dish or put so much pressure on the cable system that they will cave. Either way, we will pay more to see the Packers, if we can see them at all.

I think this is extortion. My only response is to listen on the radio, or go to a bar which has paid rights for the game. For me, neither is as good as watching the game on TV.

I think this calls for a consumer/fan revolt. I'm tired of being played like a sheep by billionaires. This one is a decision of the NFL central office, you know, that "great guy" Paul Tagliabue...and I'm sure a few of the bazillionaire NFL owners.

I'm writing, and I'm going to keep writing until this gets wider scrutiny.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well.....it's typical. The rich get richer, and the poor get shafted. If i have to, i'll listen on the radio.

PackerChick

Cheesehead
Reaction score
cheesey said:
Well.....it's typical. The rich get richer, and the poor get shafted. If i have to, i'll listen on the radio.

Find a place that will carry the game. Lets hope the NFL Network can be picked up.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i'm going to Gabe's for the games. but, adding to what you said previously, it's not even enough to have satelite. my dad has dish network and pays for Sunday Ticket (which i think is at least a few hundred dollars) and in 2004 there were, i think, 5 games blacked out, because they were either on Fox or whatever, and he had to buy cable IN ADDITION to satelite to watch all his games. ridiculous. and while he can afford to do that, i pay almost 60 bucks a month for basic cable and DO NOT have nfl network, so i have to watch the games at the bar. and that's fine sometimes, i like hanging with packer fans, but after a while i just want to watch the ******** games in my apartment.

Raider Pride

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It is the micro economic love story... Supply and demand. The economic rule of supply and demand made Canada and The USA two of the greatest countries in the world.

Television is chewing gum for the eyes. If I do watch it it will be The History Channel, The Discovery Channel, or Sports.

I work hard enough to own what I want, so I have no challenge with what the Cable Companies or the NFL does.

The only thing I would change is....

If it was up to me I would force the Dish Services to supply (At cost, no profit margin) a dish to every Farmer that does not have a cable line into his/her farm.

Farmers are way to under rated as far as their contribution to The U.S. or Canada.

RP

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Raider Pride said:
I work hard enough to own what I want, so I have no challenge with what the Cable Companies or the NFL does.

RP

not quite sure what you mean by that. i work hard too, but working while attending college (and now seminary) at the same time and keeping up with rent, cell phone, GAS, insurance, etc. leaves me little option to fork out the extra cash to watch all the games. i'm young and i'm poor, so for now i will whine about the games that i don't get to see.

PackerLegend

Cheesehead
Reaction score
listening on the radio is not as fun as watching the game this is bull **** !
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Raider Pride

Cheesehead
Reaction score
bozz_2006 said:
[quote="Raider Pride":11hwhdbz]

RP

not quite sure what you mean by that. i work hard too, but working while attending college (and now seminary) at the same time and keeping up with rent, cell phone, GAS, insurance, etc. leaves me little option to fork out the extra cash to watch all the games. i'm young and i'm poor, so for now i will whine about the games that i don't get to see.[/quote:11hwhdbz]

I can understand... In high school I use to go home do my home work sleep until 11 PM then get up and go to work cleaning up chicken guts in a slaughter house until 2 AM, back home sleep til 7 and get up and go to school. 5 days a week.

All I am saying is... I work hard enough, and we all have our priorities as to what we spend our disposible income on. You do not need a cell phone.. That is a luxory young man. You do not need the NFL Network that is a luxory as well.

RP

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
actually some people have a cell phone as their primary phone instead of a house phone. It's not an extra phone for some, its their only phone. But i get your point, RP.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i do actually use my cell phone as my primary phone but i still understand that all the stuff i have is a luxury. having to pay a premium to watch the packers is a hard pill to swallow. i'm used to watching them on network tv, and that's being taken away, and that sucks. i don't think anyone can argue that. no matter how much disposable money a person has, i don't know anyone who doesn't care if they have to start spending more. one of my college professors who makes about 85 grand a year, and is the heir to a pretty good chunk of change from her parents when they kick, was complaining to me the other day about gas prices just like everyone else, and i know it hits me harder than it hits her. when the amount of money that i make stays the same and the price of everything else goes up i think that's a bummer.

SuperRat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wish they would do the a la carte cable thing already. You choose the channels you want and you pay for them and them only. I for sure wouldn't get home shopping channels or televangelist channels or home and garden television or E! tv or any crap i never watch.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i saw this televangelist on sunday morning doing a church sermon, and he would sporadically go into self-inflicted fits of speaking in tongues. it was ridiculous.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just switched from Time Warner to Dish Network. I'm getting more channels with Dish and it's cheaper than Time Warner as well.. It's a nice deal. I suggest checking it out if you've been thinking about it.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
porky88 said:
I just switched from Time Warner to Dish Network. I'm getting more channels with Dish and it's cheaper than Time Warner as well.. It's a nice deal. I suggest checking it out if you've been thinking about it.

Good man!! (remember i work for dish ;P)

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i pay 140 a month for digital cable, dvr, and high speed internet, but no freakin NFL network... a la carte would be so simple and so effective and not to mention these television companies could use this to sell advertising...

hey 50 million people subscribe to my channell and its their choice pay me and you get a commercial.

but alas the man is keeping us down ...... VIVA LA RESISTANCE

PackinSteel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Perhaps the FOX guy has it wrong. According to the announcment from NFL Network:

By NFL policy, NFL Network games will also be carried on free, over-the-air television in the city of the visiting team and in the city where the game is played if it is sold out 72 hours in advance of kickoff.

Are you in neither of these?

PackinSteel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
LambeauEast said:
I've said it before, and I'll say it again...I love my DirecTVâ„¢.

...sorry Zero. :oops:
Amen to that Lambeau! The only thing that sux is when Packers and Steelers are on at the same time. I have to drag a 2nd TV downstairs!!

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packinsteel, I picture you in your basement with multiple TVs on the wall like a super villian watching over your enemies....mwuahaha

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PackinSteel said:
Perhaps the FOX guy has it wrong. According to the announcment from NFL Network:

By NFL policy, NFL Network games will also be carried on free, over-the-air television in the city of the visiting team and in the city where the game is played if it is sold out 72 hours in advance of kickoff.

Are you in neither of these?

Milwaukee and Green Bay areas will carry the game on local channels. Madison won't though from what I read.

PackinSteel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:
Packinsteel, I picture you in your basement with multiple TVs on the wall like a super villian watching over your enemies....mwuahaha

Basement? I wish! We're in Southern CA. I must rule the world from the 1st floor :D

PackOne

Cheesehead
Reaction score
[align=center]To Raider Pride[/align]

I usually try to remain fairly reserved on most Packer forums. Being fairly new on this forum, I am leery at best in my response. My initial reaction to this forum has left me feeling tight. The banter seems to be quite regulated. Although presented quite cleanly, I am hesitant to respond whole heartedly and break the 'always rosie' aura that seems to permeate these threads. (Correct me if I'm wrong) Anyway, back to Raider Pride. I quite frankly find your comments and attitude extremely offensive. Nothing amuses me more than someone riding in the equestrian of life on top of a two bit high horse. Gimme a break. I too am a college student - choosing in my early thirties to take a shot at improving life for my wife and I. I am well aware of what neccessities are vital to everyday life. Most of these usually lacking in my household include food, soap, and oops yes toilet paper. So please don't lecture us on the options we can do without. Oh, and NEWS FLASH cell phones are cheaper than a land line - fifty bucks including long distance. That is if you consider a phone a need at all. (Please just mail me when you decide if you are going to hire me or not for this minimum wage job that actually works around my school schedule that I'm going to have to quit in three months when it doesn't) Thanks for letting me fill out an application ! On top of all this - your completely missing the principal of the thing (which I can understand coming from a guy who can take on the cable company) All that says is you already have everything. We all work hard, and Packer fans shouldn't be left out because of financial, physical, or moral reasons. You know what I choose to do with my few remaining dollars ? For starters I buy Packer stuff to wear in support of my team - at no charge. I defend my team wherever I go - at no charge. I spend countless hours making banners for friends - and encouraging others to support the Pack - at no charge. Now you want to charge me to watch the team I already support financially ? Great idea. As much as I hate to do it, I will now have to charge everyone if I am to continue watching my beloved Green Bay Packers - since your on top of the world Raider Pride, let me be the first to send you my bill.

Members online

Latest posts